The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Speaking in Tongues: Its Power and My Dilemma

What??? Who am I talking to here?? What gave you that idea??
I didn’t let the other one ‘pass’ - I just did not see it. My bad, I"m not picking on you.

People debate whether tongues are always actual human languages or possibly heavenly or angelic languages. Either way, there is widespread agreement that what is spoken in tongues is a SUPERNATURAL manifestation of the Holy Spirit, an utterance in a genuine language not naturally learned or understood by the speaker. And if tongues is supernaturally inspired by God, then at the very least it is understood by God, and should therefore NOT be irreverently characterized as “ecstatic gibberish.” We have all been cautioned about speaking against manifestations of the Holy Spirit, whether carelessly or angrily. See Matthew 12:24, 32.

Again, I distinguish between tongues as prophecy, and tongues as prayer. The “gift of tongues,” along with the gift of interpretation of tongues, working in concert, are functionally equivalent to the gift of prophecy, and are meant to benefit others in the church.

On the other hand, “praying in tongues” is speaking to God in private worship and prayer in a language unknown to the speaker. It requires no interpretation because the person is not speaking to people, but directly to God, for their personal building up:

1 Corinthians 14:2-5

2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does NOT speak to people BUT TO GOD. Indeed, NO ONE understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, UNLESS someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

Paul described praying in the Spirit (that is, praying in tongues) as, “does not speak to people but to God…they utter mysteries by the Spirit…edifies themselves.”

1 Cor. 12:29-31

29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

The obvious answer to each of these questions is “No.” But, as we see in other places, Paul writes that we all should pray in tongues, often. The difference is that one activity is praying in the Spirit for personal edification. The other is the gift of tongues, along with the gift of interpretation, which is for the benefit of the other people at church. As with the other gifts in 1 Cor. 12, only SOME people function in this gift, as the Spirit enables them, for the benefit of ALL.

As a Christian, you have indeed received the Holy Spirit. But I think ‘it’s fair to suggest’ that you have not yet received the baptism in the Holy Spirit, with the supernatural outflow of gifts of the Spirit—such as the ability to pray in an unknown language (“ecstatically” or otherwise), or the “gift of tongues” to give prophetic utterances in an unknown language at church, or the (therefore necessary) separate gift of interpreting prophetic utterances from tongues into the vernacular language of the listeners.

Well, there are reported cases. See:

“There’s only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that’s your own self.”-- Aldous Huxley

For John indeed baptized in water, but you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
(Acts 1:5 NHEB)

1 Like

Just a story about Rev. Hart that illustrates how compelling Pentecostal gifts can be. Rev. Hart was speaking at a dive rescue mission in downtown Winnipeg, while I was a student at Princeton Seminary. I learned about this meeting when I returned to Winnipeg for Christmas vacation. Both my parents and my brother Doug were present.

After the meeting Rev. Hart healed the sick through the exercise of “the word of knowledge.” He singled my Mom out of the crowd and told her that she was suffering pain from a calcium deposit in her shoulder (true). Then he said, “The Lord has taken care of it. Rejoice in your healing!” (also true). Then he singled out my brother, at the time a first year med school student. Rev. Hart told him that he had a kidney problem. My brother was about to deny this, when Hart pointed out the symptom, acute lower back pain. Doug did have such a chronic pain! Then Hart declared my brother healed, and the pain did vanish.

After the service, my Mom ran after Rev. Hart as he was walking to his car. He turned to her and said, “You’re worried about your son in the States (true, me!) You think he’s gotten too liberal!” (Exactly Mom’s perception of me!) I cringed in anticipation of what Hart would say nest! He lowered his head and thought long, finally saying: “Well, he’s just fine; so don’t worry about it!” I was sooo relieved. Later after Christmas Mom complained about some comment I made that she perceived as too liberal. I reminded her of Rev. Hart’s reassurance. Mom’s face got a cute smile and she replied: “Oh, what does he know?” That his my favorite memory of my Mom. Rev. Hart’s performance was astounding, given that he had never met any of my family before.