The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Spiritual Freedom

There has been a lot of talk, and rightly so, about Free Will on this forum of late. I’d like to shift the focus a bit by giving a few selections on the free ‘mind’ from Channing. It’s only a page and takes 2 minutes to read, but there is a LOT of food for thought. So here goes, from here on it is Channing, not me:

It has pleased the All-wise Disposer to encompass us from our birth by difficulty and allurement, to place us in a world where wrong-doing is often gainful, and duty rough and perilous, where many vices oppose the dictates of the inward monitor, where the body presses as a weight upon the mind, and matter, by its perpetual agency on the senses, becomes a barrier between us and the spiritual world. We are in the midst of influences, which menace the intellect and heart; and to be free, is to withstand and conquer these.

I call that mind free, which jealously guards its intellectual rights and powers, which calls no man master, which does not content itself with a passive or hereditary faith, which opens itself to light whencesoever it may come, which receives new truth as an angel from heaven, which, whilst consulting others, inquires still more of the oracle within itself, and uses instructions from abroad, not to supersede but to quicken and exhalt its own energies.

I call that mind free, which sets no bounds to its love, which is not imprisoned in itself or in a sect, which recognises in all human beings the image of God and the rights of his children, which delights in virtue and sympathizes with suffering wherever they are seen, which conquers pride, anger, and sloth, and offers itself up a willing victim to the cause of mankind.

I call that mind free, which is not passively framed by outward circumstance, which is not swept away by the torrent of events, which is not the creature of accidental impulse, but which bends events to its own improvement, and acts from an inward spring, from immutable principles which it has deliberately espoused.

I call that mind free, which, through confidence in God and in the power of virtue, has cast off all fear but that of wrong- doing, which no menace or peril can enthrall, which is calm in the midst of tumults, and possesses itself though all else be lost.

I call that mind free, which resists the bondage of habit, which does not mechanically repeat itself and copy the past, which does not live on old virtue, which does not enslave itself to precise rules, but forgets what is behind, listens for new and higher monitions of conscience, and rejoices to pour in fresh and higher exertions.

I call that mind free, which is jealous of its own freedom, which guards itself from being merged with others, which guards its empire over itself as nobler than the empire of the world.

In fine, I call that mind free, which, conscious of its affinity with God, and confiding in his promises by Jesus Christ, devotes itself faithfully to the unfolding of all its powers, which ever passes the bounds of time and death, which hopes to advance for ever, and which finds inexhaustible power, both in action and in suffering, in the prospect for immortality.

Such is the spiritual freedom which Christ came to give. It insists in moral force, in self-control, in the enlargement of thought and affection, and in the unrestrained action of our best powers. This is the great good of Christianity, nor can we conceive a greater within the gift of God. I know that to many, this will seem too refined a good to be proposed as the great end of society and government. But our skepticism cannot change the nature of things. I know how little this freedom is understood and enjoyed, how enslaved men are to sense, and passion, and the world; and I know, too, that through this slavery they are wretched, and that while it lasts no social institution can give them happiness.

Me again - what do you think about the points he makes? Do they resonate with you?

Very resonant. Thanks, Dave! :smiley:

Yes that definitely resonates with me. I could nitpick a few minor points but I won’t. The overall message is too important. This whole thing looks like a good quote to include in my book. Thank you from the heart Dave!

is Channing actually saying in many words “if I am to be free it’s up to me”?

“In fine, I call that mind free, which, conscious of its affinity with God, and confiding in his promises by Jesus Christ” - Channing

Hi Chris - He certainly was, in this selection, urging people to strive for a fuller, more moral, and freer life. I think the quote from him, above, points to his most fundamental belief, and in other works he stresses the love and affection of/for the Father, and the greatest respect for the Son.

Does he think we can do it ‘all on our own’? No. But like GMac, he encourages us to strive to be our best and most loving.

Wow, that was beautiful and very accurate. Hey DaveB, who is Channing?

Hi Nick - here’s a page with a couple of short biographies, and some selected works.
transcendentalists.com/willi … anning.htm

DaveB, just checked out that page. It looks like the excerpt you selected was a really good section from Channing’s works. Question: Are you Unitarian or do you just like Channing’s thought process? I like the idea that the mind is free as shown by its ability to adapt to it circumstances and develop a personality. To me, it looks like Channing is talking about the soul rather than the spirit. What do you think?

Nick - I do not understand the so-called ‘classical Trinity’ and the two-natures of Christ. I certainly don’t criticize those who do, and I will continue to think about it and try to understand it for the rest of my days.

Channing - yes I think ‘soul’ is how we would say it. I like reading Channing because his is one of the most limpid, wide-ranging and Christian minds that I have come across. Everything he wrote was clear, intelligent, learned - and not condescending. His ‘moral argument against Calvinism’ and his outstanding short essay on Scripture are unparalleled, imho. Here is the link, below. The essay on Unitarianism has almost convinced me; at the very least, noone has rebutted the arguments to my satisfaction.

But mainly, it is the utter clarity and intelligence that draws me to his writing.

transcendentalists.com/unita … ianity.htm

Just a quick response. I read part number 2 and paragraph 1. It talks about the absurdity of Christ being both 100% man and 100% God. It’s actually not that different from what we are doing now. We are 100% human but when we take on the character of God we develop the other person inside of us. These two persons fight against each other. Have you ever been tempted to do something wrong yet something keeps telling you to fight against the temptation? It’s the same thing. It is the battle of the old man of sin against the new man that was born from Christ being “in” us. Until we get to the point where we are in “heaven”, we won’t be able to be 100 % God/supernatural/angel/whatever. At that point, we will be like Christ, 100% man and 100% God.

Thanks Nick, but you are talking to a ‘hard case’ here. :smiley: The rest of that essay has many other things to consider as well. But I won’t start a discussion of the Trinity here - there’s another big thread on that subject already, maybe you’ve read it?
Just one thing - before I had heard of unitarianism, I ‘believed’ in the Trinity. Then the Trinity was explained to me - always insufficiently to make the case. Now, I believe in/rely/love our Father in heaven, our Elder brother and Lord Jesus Christ, and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. In other words, other than terminology, nothing has changed.

it’s high sounding stuff Dave but is it Christian? Cleaver but cleverer than the Bible? Before I wax fulsome with some verses therefrom what do others think?

It’s up to others. I’ve had enough of the thread, myself; there are others I am more interested in. :smiley:

Oops! Didn’t mean to step on corns, sorry! Perhaps My buttons get a bit pushed by the pontificating of yesterday year. My questions still stand however. Cheers Chris

No problem Chris, if others are interested in continuing, they will. My questions stand as well, but there are threads already open that deal with the trinity concept.
I’m not certain what pontificating you are referring to; I thought it was a bit patronizing for you to say that you would let others take a shot at me before you finished me off with verses. I will say though that you and I read the same scriptures, the same verses, no? If we stay on that ground, we’ll be okay. I have read also, all the arguments of substance concerning the trinity concept, and am very well aware of the history of how it came to be, and respect those who choose to accept it as the explanation among the various explanations of what is no doubt beyond all explanation. I would like the same respect, and really will try to not argue about it, except when folks who believe as I do are caricatured or, worse, marginalized. I will speak up then.

Well you, Chris, talked about your harping, and now I sound like I am pontificating. Maybe I’ll just shut up :laughing:

Thanks Dave, perhaps I should add the rather lengthy quote from 1st Cor ch1 26-31 as it may gel the thoughts a bit. Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential: not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise: God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things to of the world and the despised things - and things that are not- to nullify the things that are. So that no one may boast before Him. It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus who has become the for us the wisdom God - that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore it is written let him who boasts boast in The Lord. I can see wisdom in much of what Channing said but to me overall it sounded, well, a little like a boast. The way I see it "if Chris shall make you free, you shall be free indeed. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Gal 5 v 1 Therefore it is my contention that “if is to be then it’s up to me” is a recipe for me to be toast. Becoming free by my own efforts is a great trick, it’s just one I can’t pull off! Thanks be to God I don’t have to.

:laughing: I’ve just seen that boast rhymes with toast.

We strive, with Christ’s help. Noone is denying that, though certainly many have not learned it.

Will strive too mate :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: