The Evangelical Universalist Forum

St Isaac the Syrian on Universal Salvation

I’d like to bring to your attention a series of blog articles I have written on St Isaac the Syrian. St Isaac was a remarkable Christian mystic of the 7th century. He advanced a bold vision of apocatastasis. I suggest that you begin with the first article, “Preaching the Astonishing Love of God,” and then read the rest in order. The last two in the series is devoted to hell. I welcome your comments and feedback.

Eclectic Orthodoxy

Are you the same A Kimel that wrote this beautiful homily?

scribd.com/doc/97979041/Aaron-Kimel-Homily

I was very touched by that :cry:

Thaks akimel. :slight_smile:

I’m compiling a list of universalists over on the General discussion forum. Would St Isaac be a hopeful or a convinced universalist in your opinion? And what short quote would you recommend as clear evidence of his universalistic eschatology?

Pog, here is one possible quotation for you from St Isaac:

“Accordingly we say that, even in the matter of the afflictions and sentence of Gehenna, there is some hidden mystery, whereby the wise Maker has taken as a starting point for its future outcome the wickedness of our actions and wilfulness, using it as a way of bringing to perfection His dispensation wherein lies the teaching which makes wise, and the advantage beyond description, hidden from both angels and human beings, hidden too from those who are being chastised, whether they be demons or human beings, hidden for as long as the ordained period of time holds sway.” (II.39.20)

But when you read the articles, you may find another one that better suits your purposes.

Thanks akimel! :slight_smile: I must have not clicked on the right links - I read the one about love (very good, by the way) and then followed a link to an amazon page … oopes.

But thanks again - I’ll put him under convinced! :slight_smile: