The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Substitutions for Penal Substitution?

I’ve never had much issue accepting the idea that Christ died so that we might live. I suppose I’ve espoused a form of penal substitution–although by no means with a focus on Calvinistic wrath–but why would God choose to solve mankind’s bloody and painful existence through more blood and pain with Christ on the cross? I know many here don’t subscribe to the idea of penal substitution, and indeed, the idea sits uneasy with me, but I’ve admittedly never looked into any plausible substitutes. So how about you all? What are your substitutions for the idea of penal substitution?

Thank you, and blessings on this pretty Sunday afternoon,:slight_smile:

Kate

My substitute is to simply not believe in any of them. None of them make any sense to me and they are all unnecessary for spiritual growth and development as millions at A.A. can testify to. But there is a book out that you might enjoy. It’s a non-violent view of the atonement.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Bh4ckFRGL.SY344_BO1,204,203,200.jpg

Thanks, Cole-- I will have to look into that book.:slight_smile:

There are no substitutes for penal substitution. Rather penal subsititution is a substitute for the true gospel.

I wrote an article about the true gospel (I think about the 15th post) in the following thread.

[What exactly IS the Gospel?)

And it is an excellent post!

Excellent question, Kate! :smiley:
I’m not sure I’m completely satisfied by any single atonement theory or even any combination of them. :confused: I guess what I believe is closest to the “moral influence” theory combined with the “Christus Victor” theory and “Scapegoat” theory. It’s definitely something I need to study more deeply and I’m looking forward to what people say on this thread. I’ll link to the wiki page on atonement. All the major theories are covered pretty well there and in links to the individual theories themselves.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonement_in_Christianity

Just came across this blog which I haven’t read all of yet, but the author explores various alternatives to PSA. Nice succinct discussion of the scapegoat theory. patheos.com/blogs/tonyjones/2012/03/07/a-better-atonement-the-lastscapegoat/
Dick,[tag]sobornost[/tag] is a big Girardian and might be willing to write a bit about Girard’s “scapegoat” theory. :smiley:

The model if I had to stick but one (though it isn’t fully exhaustive) , then I guess it would be the Christus Victor is at the moment to the one incorporates what happens through the incantation, life, ministry, death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus, in which God identified with us, and confronted, defeated and ransomed us from the power of evil and death that keeps us from coming into God’s welcoming arms, and bringing in the new creation into the universe in the beginning of the new age and the rescue of the world from the evil and death that has damaged it and infected humanity keeping us separated from us, causing the evil of death and separates us from being truly the image of God we are called to be and take part in the life of God and the love in God between the Persons and show and bring the blessing of that love into creation, and instead distorts that perspective to creation, each other and with God, our relationships being damaged and distorted and keeping us away from God and away from His Life and so were under the power of death. In Jesus God through the Son joined with us, with the humanity that bear His image, and took on our humanity joining it to Himself, bring Himself in union with us, and through us creation itself, and inbringing that new creation to us, the Life and rescue of God, confronting evil and it’s death an all levels, taking it upon Himself and exhausting it of all power to hold us captive from Him, raising us and the through us the universe in union with Him in the Resurrection. And so on Easter death is defeated and disarmed and we and all creation is ransomed from slavery to it’s power and raised into the new creation that is unleashed in the new creation in the Resurrection on the first Easter, to share in God’s immortal Life, and so was enabling all things to be reconciled to Himself (He was already reconciled to us, we are the ones who need reconciling I think :wink: ) and bringing reconciliation at all levels between everything, people and God, people and people, and people and the world around them, and is seeing all of it free, to live and move in the life and love of God, which is now inaugurated and therefore to be stepped into and brought and anticipated in love and self-sacrificial service to the world around us, until it is brought in full at Christ’s appearing and the Resurrection where will be be raised beyond death and clothed with immorality, and the victory brought in full where death itself shall be destroyed and the whole cosmos will be brought into full reconciliation to the Love and Life of God through the Messiah, and the spheres of heaven and earth of fully united together filled with the glory and life of God.

Anyway that is my understand at the moment and I think Christus Victor roughly fits it, and here are some other links that I think elaborate them as well.

Here are some links I have found that I find useful, but I assume others have more informed and better links :wink: .

glory2godforallthings.com/2013/0 … fe-of-man/

And to videos:

youtube.com/watch?v=IA8CY5iC_ww

youtube.com/watch?v=EvzduC7Lx8E

(well I find them helpful, so I hope it helps you along with all the other suggestions Kate :smiley: , and I guess no matter what one key point I think is God sets us free and brings us as a people into communion and union with Himself in the Messiah and in putting us right puts to rights the world through us and sets the creation free from futility)

Edit: forgot to add a little in beginning saying if I had to pick a model, as I say, I don’t think any model fully gets at what was going on. To quote NT Wright, Jesus didn’t give us a theory, He gave us a meal, something to be experienced and to take part in, in the end, the theories are ways of trying to understand what can’t be fully understood probably. Anyway should have included that and glad I came to check this out again :slight_smile:

I’ve never really believed a single atonement theory if I’m honest. The weird thing is I’ve grown up in Church - my Dad’s a Church pastor, him and my mum met at Bible College and I first made a commitment to Jesus when I was 5 so I’ve never really been anything other than a Christian - and yet I remember a few years ago, when I was about 15, realising one day that I had no idea why Jesus died. Zero. Nothing. Absolutely no idea.

It completely shocked me. I knew he had died for my sins, as I had been taught growing up. But no one had ever explained how this worked. I remember trying to think it through and being unable to find out how it added up. I was amazed that I had never thought about it before. Slowly I came to understanding Penal Substitution but I struggled with this. I tried to convince myself that God was incredibly holy and that I was a dirty sinner who deserved death and Jesus mercifully decided to be punished instead but I couldn’t get over the fact that God considered me worthy to be utterly slaughtered. It played on my mind. I thought it showed God to be lacking in mercy; most of us wouldn’t even think about saying somebody we know deserves to be slaughtered. Yet God did. It’s not that I don’t think I’m an awful sinner but some Christians seem to be so desperate to cast us all as scum and then turn into a Mark Driscoll and say things like ‘God has no obligation to us’ (it’s honestly unreal that people think that; they’d probably think saying he does have obligations to us would be like denying we’re sinners). At the time, it just seemed to me that nothing about us as humans mattered other than our morality in comparison to God’s law - not our hopes, fears, pains, talents, personality, achievements, uniqueness. Nothing mattered other than the fact that we had made mistakes somewhere along the line.

I tried to get round this judgement by inventing two sides of God - a legal side, where we’ve all wronged and he pronounces a death penalty, and then a personal side (which triumphs) where he actually really loves and cares for us and would never want to see us die and where he demonstrates this by using this legal idea - he operates within a legal system where sin equals death and uses this setting to show his incredible love for us by taking our punishment. Even now I’m sympathetic to this idea; that it’s not that he needs a sacrifice for him to accept us but that he sets himself up as the holy judge where any sin condemns a man to death but where he uses that to say “I love you so much that no matter what you’ve done, I’ll take your punishment.”

To be honest though it’s not really Penal Substitution; it operates within the reaches of it but isn’t a purely legal process like Penal Substitution is - the legal side is a means to show the personal side, it’s meeting people where they were at at that point in time where you had to have a sacrifice to make atonement. Therefore, Jesus dying on the cross is not a justification for it being a flawless system of justice (George MacDonald, as I’m sure most of us know, showed how many problems there are with it) but it’s using this system to show how much God loves each one of us that he’ll do anything to bring us back to him.

Not saying I believe that but I can’t say I’ve completely cast off everything about Penal Substitution quite yet (though I’ve cast off most of it).

I’ve been looking into a number of atonement theories recently so I’m finding this a very interesting topic at the moment. :slight_smile: I’m probably most drawn towards the Christus Victor theory but I’ve barely looked into it yet so I can’t really say I prescribe to it

Kate,

There are lots of books on this, but you can find a nice quick summary of the more prominent theories of atonement here: Primer on Atonement Theories. I realized that if God wanted US to be reconciled to HIM, and that He wasn’t in need of HIS being reconciled to US, then suddenly the need for Jesus to die seemed to disappear.

My problem here was primarily (I think) that I saw Jesus as dying to pay for our SINS, rather than as dying to save us FROM our SIN. The way Paul puts it in Romans 5-8 makes sense. Jesus took into Himself the entire race of Adam (who in a sense contained us all), and so became the second Adam. He died in order that we also might die – to sin. He rose that we might rise to newness of life IN HIM and therefore, having died to it, no longer be in bondage to sin. The actual acts of sin, God forgives as He always has done. We see this in His willingness to forgive in the Old Testament, and through Jesus’ ministry before the cross.

Another way to see this is called Christus Victor or the Ransom Theory or Narrative Theory. These have subtle differences, and you might prefer one over the others. In Christus Victor, Jesus is kind of like the prince in Sleeping Beauty. He comes to waken His bride and rescue her from the curse of the evil one. Jesus’ own words play into this too, when He talks of binding the strong man (presumably Satan) and plundering his house, releasing his captives, and Paul continues: and gave gifts unto men . . . instead of the captives of the enemy, we become gifts to mankind – His church/ekklesia/called-out assembly. Clearly these things are all metaphor to one degree or another – ALL of them. But I think God has given these pictures so that we, to the best of our limited cognitive ability, can at least get a feel for His intent toward us – which is all, and always, good. :slight_smile:

Love, Cindy

Okay Kate. You’ve got me going now. I have that book by Derek Flood but never sat down and read the whole thing. I think I will do that tonight. :smiley:

Yeah, I’ve often struggled with these things too, Kate, trying to make sense of them, which is one of the reasons I am unsure of what to make of Jesus in general (though like I’ve said in some of our emails, I get hints here and there, and feel that Jesus is important)… I mean, if we’re all honest about it, on the surface a lot of Christians make it sound like Jesus has magic blood or something, ‘there’s power in the blood’ and all of that… I mean, think about it…

An innocent Jewish man who lived two thousand years ago gets hammered to a two by four by the Romans and somehow his death is supposed to heal our souls, put us on the right path, clean us up, and make us whole… it’s hard to swallow on the surface to begin with…

I know that probably sounds sacrilegious and all, but I’m able to look at this as an outsider, having not grown up in the church and having still spent more years as an agnostic or an atheist than as someone who believes in God or who identifies with Jesus in some way.

Having said all of that though, I do have some thoughts about it, or inclinations anyway… thinking along the lines of a poet, I take the story of Jesus’ death, and the cross, in more of a symbolic way (though I do believe he was a real person, and actually died by crucifixion, and even still believe that he actually rose from the dead, because miracles don’t bother me… I mean, the world is wild enough, so why not? :wink:), and I tend to think of Jesus’ passion as being a story, a series of images, that can passed on from generation to generation, that reveal what is already true, and always has been true, like how God loves us enough to enter into our darkness and our death with us, and how God shares in our struggle and our pain, and in that there is hope, and new life, just around the corner.

I think each of the theories of the atonement may have some truth to it, some more and some less, or point to certain aspects of what God is doing in the world or in our lives. I think it has layers, like a poem, that’s just waiting to be read.

For example, traditionally Jesus was crucified between two men, one of them who believed in him, and another who didn’t, and though Jesus promised paradise to the one who believed in him, he didn’t turn to the other man and condemn him, and he was in between them, in the middle of where they were, with them both, sharing in their darkness and their death, their struggle and their pain, and whether they believed in him, or God, or not, and I find that beautiful…

Others may see other things… maybe the cross is meant to be a kind of Rorschach test, where God shows people different things… writers in scripture saw some things, you and I see some things, etc.

I don’t know, maybe Jesus did have magic blood or something (after all, blood is symbolic of life) that heals our souls, or maybe there was some mystical transaction that took place then, dark forces were vanquished, doors were opened, bridges were built, some things changed… but I struggle with this, with things like penal substitution, because to me it says that before Jesus died God was just mad at us, and needed His pound of flesh to be satisfied, and then throwing in the Trinity, it sounds like God is killing Himself to satisfy Himself, which sounds weird to me…

Jesus said he came to testify to the truth, and came to bring light to the world, and did so both in his life and even in his death, so I tend to think of the cross as a powerful revelation, rather than as a second big bang of sorts, where everything that was messed up between God and man before somehow got fixed… I think the problem between God and man is more one-sided, where God already loves us and is already committed to us, without needing a debt paid or anything like that, and we’re the ones who have the problem, of not seeing the truth about God and what life is all about and about our relationship with God and in turn with one another, and our eyes just need to be opened, and we need to find healing and restoration and home… I think of God as the father waiting for his son to come home… He always loved him, was always committed to him, and never needed a sacrifice to be appeased or anything to get Him to change His mind so He’d then be open to having a relationship with his son… it’s just his son needed help coming to his senses, and maybe that’s where Jesus comes in…

But I know I could be wrong about some stuff, or even most stuff, and this is just where I’m at right now. Like I was telling Kate in a recent e-mail, though I can’t really put my finger on it, I know Jesus matters, and like I was telling Grant, I would like to see Jesus as someone I can trust.
I also think of Jesus as being a great symbol of hope.
When I think of Jesus dying, sharing in the struggle and the pain of regular people like you and me, think of him forgiving those who mocked him and beat him and killed him, and think of him coming back to life, even after going through so much, it gives me hope, hope that maybe I’m not alone in my struggle and my pain, that maybe I can be forgiven and can forgive others as well, even my enemies, that maybe I can get back up too, and no matter what I may go through… and I guess that’s something, something to hold onto.

Well, that’s my two cents anyway, and hopefully you guys don’t mind me being kind of an oddball here :wink:

Blessings to all and peace :slight_smile:

Matt

Hi Matt,
I have many of the same questions and concerns you do about the atonement—and as you said, none of the theories is*** entirely*** satisfactory to me. If I recall correctly, George MacDonald never presented a theory he believed regarding the atonement, though he did believe in the atonement itself (if that makes sense.) :confused: I may be wrong here so would love to be enlightened by any GMac scholars. :wink:

That being said, I do think Girard’s “scapegoat” theory is something worth learning about and exploring. This is a really excellent discussion of a Girardian view of the atonement. jamesalison.co.uk/texts/eng11.html It takes awhile for this to really sink in as it is so opposite to the usual view (i.e. PSA)

I mostly subscribe to the Girardian view, partially because it seems a bit too simple on the surface, but when explored has incredible depth. I don’t know that i’d say that’s ALL of the atonement sorted, but i think it’s a major and heretofore largely ignored part.

Thanks, everyone, for the thoughtful replies.:slight_smile: I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to give them a proper reading last evening, as I had two projects due this morning, but I will give your insight the reading and replies they deserve when I get home from classes this afternoon.:slight_smile:

It’s only on the EU that, on the same thread, you can get NightRevan, Paidion, and at the same time, EdwardTulane’s answers - if I was not such a stable and wise person, I might get a little bipolar. :laughing:
I’m not being critical - just appreciating the grand pageant of ideas that rub shoulders on this wide-open, free-range board.

Okay Steve, you can herd me now!! :smiley:

First of all, I just wanted to mention how thankful I am for every time I ask some long, convoluted question and receive such thoughtful insight from you all. It’s always so thorough, and I just really appreciate the time and effort everyone here takes in answering questions. I guess that’s one of the reasons I’ve hung around-- so thank you. :smiley:

Paidion

I read through your verses regarding why Jesus died to save us from sin-- and I agree with them all. Many of those were my “go-to” verses as a frightened semi-Calvinist. As you said in your other thread:

I totally agree with that. I suppose what unsettle me–and many other Christians, it seems–is why we needed Christ’s suffering to overcome wrongdoing. I believe similar to how Steve mentioned GMac thought of the atonement. That is, he believed in the atonement but never espoused a certain one.

Jonny

I empathize with you here. In fact, it’s still incredibly difficult for me to say that I don’t deserve to be slaughtered. Oddly enough, to say that I have value sounds like complete hubris and I feel absolutely sinful saying that I don’t deserve slaughtering at the hands of an all-perfect deity. I no longer believe this, per se, but I still feel it. Does that make sense? :confused:

Steve

Thanks for the links explaining the different views in greater detail. The hard part is, I see the validity of them all. Under certain lights, they all seem reasonable. And when all seems reasonable, nothing seems reasonable. :confused:

Grant

Thank you for the links, as well.:slight_smile: I think, out of everything, I’ve mostly consented to a combination of theories, with the Christus Victor at the forefront (more on that later.)

You describe Christus Victor as:

To me, this largely settles the why regarding the ends from the means, but it leaves out an explanation of why such means were needed for this end. Does that make sense? :confused:

Cindy

I still have trouble saying that Jesus didn’t die to “pay” for our sins. I guess it’s more that he paid for the consequences-- the pain, the sickness, the suffering* that we cause ourselves* through his life, as well as his death. Is this what you mean when you say that Jesus died to save us from our sins? What still confuses me is why his death was needed in the first place-- much as Matt mentioned in his post. I suppose, in my mind, his life was what we needed, and His rising from the dead wasn’t so much as a payment to a wrathful god but a means of showing sinful humanity that goodness will *always *win.

Matt

I know you said that your questions sound like sacrilege, but I reckon these thoughts are just natural to the human mind. I’ve had many (most?) of those same questions myself. I figure Jesus is okay with me asking those questions-- After all, He knows my heart, so surely he can read my mind, too, right? But that doesn’t mean I don’t want an answer!

I believe in a tangible incarnation, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. But I think you’re right here. It’s tangible-- but not “literal.” There are many nuances to it. In a less poetic way of saying it, the Gospel is like an onion-- many, many layers (and not all obviously pleasant) until we reach its core.

Overall, everyone, I suppose my view of the atonement is something like a mesh of this:

• Christ Victor - In the overall scheme of things, Christ life is a victory against evil, suffering, and death. This is the broad and abstract view under which the rest of the atonement theories fall. That is, the other “atonements” stem back to this ultimate point that Christ gained victory over sin and death through his life.

So, in my mind, the “subcategories” are:

Solidarity - Christ’s death was the result of his life, marginalizing Himself with the ashamed and sick, standing with the alone, even to the point of death, so that we might never face cosmic loneliness again.

**Last Scapegoat **- We humans are alone, ashamed, and sick because we are violent, having let our societies distort far from God’s original “Eden.” Christ could have accomplished victory over sin and death in an infinite number of ways, but humankind has allowed itself to become so tainted that it would not accept this victory unless it, too, came in a form of pain and suffering.

I don’t know what to conclude from that, or even if it satisfies my original question. What do you all think of my three-part idea of the atonement? Surely it’s not correct, but to me anyway, it makes sense that two more “practical” theories explaining the need for Christ on earth ultimately connect back to the more broad and abstract idea that, through His mission here, he proved Himself as ultimate victor.

Back to painting homework – aka, watching paint dry. :neutral_face:

:slight_smile:

Kate

Absolutely :slight_smile: The problem is, when you’re in a church environment where it’s assumed we deserve ECT and where God did us a favour by giving a minority of people a way out, there ends up being a focus on how odious we apparently are - even if this isn’t said, many Christians’ fundamental beliefs imply this. It’s bizarre because it’s a popular thing in Church sermons to portray the Pharisees, to pick an example, as ‘the bad guys’ of the gospels and yet if many Christians really examined their basic beliefs, they might realise that there’s actually an intense legalistic morality to them; if we even break one rule, God apparently has the right to torment us forever. It’s for that reason that, as you point out, if we were to try and put across the point that maybe we don’t actually deserve to be slaughtered, we sound arrogant and insulting to God’s holy nature.

Many Christians dislike fellow brothers and sisters who act really self-righteously and constantly point out sin in people but in reality they focus much more on the negatives than they would like to think. At the core of Penal Substitution is not out hopes, our fears, our skills, our hobbies, our personalities, the things that make us unique, who we love, what our strengths and weaknesses are, how much we’ve been hurt in our life - it’s our sin and how abhorrent we apparently are to God. I have no problem admitting that I cannot ever achieve righteousness without God because I’m well aware that I’m weak, I’m sinful, I’m selfish, that I can’t ever achieve perfection through my own strength of heart because I’ve allowed myself to become sinful. But that doesn’t mean that my sin is the only thing that matters. That quote from Jonathan Edwards in ‘Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God’ springs to mind - “all your righteousness, would have no more influence to uphold you and keep you out of hell, than a spider’s web would have to stop a fallen rock.” It implies that our sin is the only thing that matters to God. It sounds arrogant to say that there might well be more to us than just sinfulness but if we’re created by God with an inherent need for him, is it really impossible to say that God, if he is to retain all of his perfect characteristics, DOES actually have some obligation to us?

The covenant God makes with Abraham in Genesis 15 is currently my favourite way of viewing the atonement. I only discovered the context and details of it recently and immediately decided to put it into a talk I did in my Church on God’s humility because it is such a great example of it.

God’s covenant with Abraham is a great point – good call, pointing that out, Jonny!

I hadn’t seen that as an illustration of the atonement :blush: , but obviously, it is. The importantest part is easy to miss, Kate – IMO it’s verse 17, where God, in the guise of the torch and the oven (or fire pot) passes between the halves of the animals. In an ancient middle eastern covenant of this sort, the stronger man (who is probably coercing the weaker into the covenant and into acknowledging the stronger as an overlord) makes the weaker pass between the animals, and may also pass through himself if he’s feeling particularly charitable. This binds those passing through the halves to keep the covenant, and if anyone fails to keep covenant, he’s saying in essence, “Let it be done to me and mine as it’s been done to these animals.”

The smoking oven and the burning torch represent God, passing through those pieces all by Himself. He made a unilateral covenant with Abraham to deliver his offspring from bondage in Egypt (typically symbolic of “the world”), and install them in the promised land (which we Christians view as symbolic of Jesus Himself). But why a burning torch and a smoking oven? The commentators vary, and of course the symbolism is very old and hard to identify with certainty. The consensus of what I’ve read is that the oven symbolizes the purification of affliction (also symbolized by the suffering in Egypt) and the fire of God (the torch) as a burning and a shining light – ie: salvation from sin. (Note: not from SINS, but from SIN – as in salvation from BONDAGE to sin.)

God doesn’t require Abraham to pass through the pieces, but instead throws him into a deep sleep so that he only sees God, in his dream apparently, walking the trail of blood alone. God unilaterally makes this covenant to Abraham, taking the part of the underdog, as does Jesus, likewise. I see the Via Dolorosa here . . . and the cross and the tomb and the descent into Sheol.

If Israel had accepted God’s offer at Sinai to be priests – every one of them – to the Most High, would they have entered into the Kingdom of God right then without the need for the intervening years? I lean toward believing that God knew full well they wouldn’t accept, and knew what it would cost Him to finally established them in the true Promised Land, but I also believe they COULD have chosen for God and because of fear, did not. So . . . they chose to ask for a law, and bound themselves to keep it but again, they did not – not even for long enough to get them out of the wilderness and into Canaan. Instead, their children inherited the Promised Land. Is this a picture of the church (including believing Jews of course) inheriting first, rather than the original chosen people? I don’t know, but it’s a thought. The last shall be first . . . .

Nevertheless, God has committed Himself to bringing Abraham’s descendents into the Promised Land. He sends prophets and priests and poet-kings to woo them, but they will not. (The parable of the vineyard with its evil, murderous tenants comes to mind.) Finally He sends His Son, hoping (Jesus tells us) that they will respect His Son. What if they HAD? Would Jesus have had to die? Did God require that? Was it the only way to bring salvation? I’m not sure it actually WAS. Maybe the incarnation would have been enough, and if the chosen people had chosen Jesus, and had followed Him into their role as the promised blessing to all the families of the world – as servant kings – maybe they would have, could have entered the Kingdom of God right then and there.

Again, I think God knew what would happen, but He had pledged Himself and so He GAVE Himself to the last drop of blood, for us and to us, to set us free from our slavery to the world and to sin – to pay the ransom – to the devil? Or maybe not – maybe the ransom was paid to US? The Bridegroom who sacrifices His life to His bride, allows her, in her madness, to take His very life because that is the only way to save her. What unspeakable love! What a beautiful Savior and what a magnificent Lord!

Thanks so much for pointing this out, Jonny!

Kate, I’ll address the questions you asked me – I promise. I just got carried away, excited about Jonny’s new (at least to me) painting of our Jesus. :wink:

That is really interesting and thoughtful, Cindy! :smiley:

Very “Grardian” I think, and I believe you were “inspired” to present that in the way you did. I’m still pondering it and hope this will stick with me…

Thanks,

Steve

I still don’t understand any of it.