The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Surely this worship song is declaring UR?

When I first heard this Nichole Nordeman song, it struck me that for the words of this song to be really true, only UR would make sense. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=rzcuYGj3VQI

Yep :smiley:

…or Calvinism? :wink:

I think Limited Atonement still works with these lyrics. But I do find it fascinating that it’s always the poets who get carried away with the (accepted) power and scope of God’s love.

Hmmm, it would make you wonder then why ‘no choice’ of the elect could be bad enough to prevent God having his will done, but there are choices that are bad enough for the majority!! That doesn’t make sense. :wink:

I found this other song of Nichole Nordeman and Selah, which is even MORE UR in it’s words :open_mouth:

With the lyrics: ‘one day all who deny, will find they believe’ and ‘one day hearts made of stone will break in pieces’ and the accompanying pictures which suggest positive outcomes for those who now believe and those whose hard hearts have been ‘softened’, it doesn’t sound like a ‘limited’ atonement to me… :wink:

It’s a great song:

youtube.com/watch?v=9TiheIze … plpp_video

Ah, okay, I guess I wasn’t thinking of choices in the sense of the salvific choice. But more in the sense that regardless of your poor life choices, if you’re elect, God will free you. Because in Calvinism, the majority don’t get any choice at all (and therefore can’t make wrong choices). But presuming unlimited atonement, resisting God would indeed be a poor life choice! Hope that all makes sense…

Now that certainly doesn’t sound like limited atonement! :smiley:

Wow, the song at that second link is blatantly UR. :slight_smile: Love it!

Sonia

Both songs are wonderful, and as Sonia said, the second song is the most blatantly obviously UR. Awesome.

You know, it is no wonder that fewer than 10% of Christians are active in sharing the traditional “gospel”, because it is not really “good news”; and no one wants to be the bearer of bad news. But UR is wonderful, can’t get any better, Good News!

Hi Catherine,

Lovely songs! More great examples of just what I mentioned to you in your Essays thread!

I think maybe UR continually showing up in praise and worship songs is because what stirs the human soul is the certainty that God is almighty and triumphant and that He cares, resolutely, for each and every person… that somehow, some way, no person is beyond His loving reach and redemption. It is the awesome scope and magnitude of His steadfast and purposeful love that makes people fall to their knees in worship, raise their voices in song and shed precious tears of joy and hope. It’s the glorious realization in our deepest inner selves that He is more wonderful and amazing than we could ever hope or dream or even imagine.

In Romans 8, Paul said the entire creation is groaning in expectation… write along with us… for the glorious liberty of the children of God. Kind of like every creature being born with a “Hallelluja! Button” in their spirit that certain themes and concepts just can’t help but push. God’s UR in Jesus Christ pushes that button unlike anything else ever could. :sunglasses:

Love,

Andy

You sure said a mouthful there, Sherman. It’s so good that good just doesn’t seem good enough to describe it! :smiley:

Love to you,

Andy

I can’t disagree :wink:

Great points Andy. I love the verse in Romans that talks about ALL creation groaning. It gives me hope that ALL creation will one day no longer groan (and makes a nonsense of the belief that MOST creation will carry on groaning in pain in the Lake of Fire for all eternity.)