The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The first christmas

Because…the word DID become realized in human flesh.

“In the beginning there was a divine word and it was stored in God’s heart and was his own
creative self-expression. All things came into being through that divine word and without it
nothing was made that was made…And the word/plan became flesh — was realized in a human
person and dwelt among us.”

For me, that is the clearest possible explanation. It has advantages textually, and also clears up so many confusions and contentions between trin and non-trin thought. For me, as I said…

I don’t find anything self-contradictory in this approach, and it satisfies my mind and to be honest, my heart as well, as being consistent with who God is and who Jesus is.

1 Like

Correct.

Judah and his <846> brothers. [Autos] is referring to Judah [ie] a person. Therefore [Autos] is correctly translated [his]

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His <846> mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph.[Autos] is referring to Christ [ie] a person. Therefore [Autos] Is correctly translated [his]

And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them <846> [Autos] is referring to all the chief priests and scribes [ie] people’s. Therefore [Autos] Is correctly translated [Them] etc … etc…

The point being In Jhon 1 [is] Jhon referring to the logos/ word as to mean a pre-existing being ? If you think he is, then [Autos/ He] is used. If like me you don’t think Jhon is referring to a pre-existing being, then [Autos/ it] is used.

Jhon 1: 3-4 is a continuation of verse 2
Were the word [houtos] introduces verse 2
[The self = ho - autos shortened to houtos] normally translated [this] and [this] is a reference back to the word [word] in verse 1. So in my opinion it’s saying [this word]= Strong’s Definitions:-

λόγος lógos, log’-os; from G3004; something said (including the thought); by implication, a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extension, a computation; specially, (with the article in John) the Divine Expression :—-Logos, (Greek: “word,” “reason,” or “plan”) plural logo I, in Greek philosophy and theology, the divine reason implicit in the cosmos, ordering it and giving it form and meaning.

Was in the beginning and not [he] was in the beginning. The word is a [thing] it’s not a person it’s something spoken, there for can be translated [it] = Strong’s definition s G846 - autos;—
1 himself, herself, themselves, itself

1. he, she, [it]
  2. the same

In my understanding the [logos] is referring to Gods own thought/ plan and motive, which he spoke into being at the Genesis account of creation. In my opinion the [logos] is a [it] and not a [he] here in Jhon’s account.The God had a plan and when he spake, his power/ spirit hovered/ moved over the face of the waters and his divine word brought matter into being. Now in Jhon 1:1 I believe Jhon is drawing on this creational account, when referring to the plan of Christ being conceived In the womb of Mary. Gods thoughts/ plan was brought into being at the birth of Christ, through who the new creation would be achieved.The Holy Spirit, overshadows Mary in a similar way the waters in creation in Genesis. Christ was in Gods thoughts and plan, In the book of Genesis 3:15 though never existed in being until his birth.

To be honest Dave’s post covers just about everything.