The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The first christmas

THE FIRST CHRISTMAS

No, the first Christmas wasn’t the birth of Christ. In fact, the birth of Christ wasn’t a Christmas (Christ’s mass) at all.

The first Christmas took place in the fourth century when the catholic (universal) church held three masses in honour of the three births of Christ:

1. His birth before all ages (Revelation 3:14)
  2. His birth from the virgin, Mary (Luke 2:7)
  3. His birth in the hearts of the faithful (Galatians 4:18)

I don’t see how text 1 supports a birth.

Perhaps not. But I suspect that it may be the source of the 4th century catholic explanation. We read in the NT writings that Jesus is the “only begotten Son.” That which is begotten must also become born. I suspect that they understood “the beginning of God’s creation” as meaning God giving birth to His Son as the first of His acts. We know that Jesus wasn’t created (in the sense that all other living beings were created). However, the Greek word translated “creation” (according to the lexicons) can mean "the act of founding, establishing, building, etc.

Yes, thanks for the info and I hope you and yours enjoy the break this year.

Ah…the “First Break” perhaps??

1 Like

Yes. I think I’ve lost track of what ‘Christmas’ means to me and don’t want to assume I know what others make of it - even Christians.
But whatever happens I guess it will be ‘a little out of the ordinary’ for everyone and so a break from the routine. Whether that is a WELCOME break is another matter. I think many are content to survive christmas.
Will you enjoy yours Dave?

Yep, and we still call it Christmas, but with a different meaning than the technical one, out of deference to most of my family that aren’t aware of the technical sense. In other words, when we say “Christmas” we MEAN the story around Christ’s birth as related in the Bible. It works just fine for us. Warm fuzzies, good will toward men, ‘round yon Virgin mother and child’, the Hallelujah Chorus, Charles Dickens’ Christmas stories, COOKIES, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Let Nothing You Dismay, Remember Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day" - like that.
I guess we could call it something different, but why?

1 Like

I came from a situation where ‘Christmas’ became taboo. “It was not in the Bible” I was told, and the Christmas tree was seen as a affront to God, via Jeramiah’s talk about trees.

When people can come together and have something to rally around we are all truly much better.

My wife and I now celebrate Christmas as a time of bringing family and friends together. There is love, and love is what I believe God is truly about. I hope you all can find that peace.

Enough said.

1 Like

To Dave,

Channing arrived.

Thank you.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread, but “text 1” is Revelation 3:14 which reads:

"And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: ‘The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation.

Without doubt “The Amen, the faithful and true witness” is the Son of God.
That being the case, it must be He also who is “The beginning of God’s creation.”

So either that “beginning of God’s creation” refers to the first act of God being the begetting of the Son, or else the first act of God being the creation of the Son.

Now I realize that many commentators state that the phrase means “the beginner of creation” or “the originator of creation.”

But the word is “αρχη”.
This word means “beginning” nor “beginner” as the following examples will show:

All these are but the beginning of the birth pains. (Matthew 24:8)
He was in the beginning with God.(John 1:2)
As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning. (Acts 11:15)

If the writer of Revelation had meant that the Son of God was the “beginner” of creation, he could have chosen any one of three Greek words that means “beginner,” namely μιζα, εκκινητης, or εκκινητησας.

Is the greek word actually “He”? Is that accurate, or a translational bias do you think?

It depends on “it was not in the bible” means? The birth of Christ is in the bible so is it wrong to celebrate it? Easter is not in the bible either but we can celebrate the resurrection.

You don’t seem to understand, When we are told things are fact when we are impressionable, it is gospel. We can argue after the fact all we want, but the fact is at the time, the things we are told are real and truthful. Thus the very important point is we need to be very careful about what we tell people, all people, as to what we think truth is. This is very important Steve. I think you will understand what I am saying.

Well… it seems hard to believe that all the translators of the following 12 versions had “translational bias”:
Darby, ESV, EMTV, HCSB, NAS, NAS95, NHEB, NIV, NKJV, NRSV, RSV, Williams.
Every one of these 12 versions begin the verse with “He”.

The Greek word is “ουτος”. Strictly speaking, the word means “this one,” and that is the way the translators of the YLT and the LEB render it.

However, in verse 4 we have:

In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

The word here is definitely the Greek word for “him.” Surely the reference is to the same One as in verse 2. So that’s the reason I think it is not wrong to translate “ουτος” in verse 2 as “He.” I can’t see that there would be any different referent by translating it as “this one.”

I don’t really think the inference is that unassailable, actually. And I know for a fact that there is a lot of translational bias among even the best translations. "Hell’ is a good example. So is this, I’m thinking. Since I don’t know the language, thought I’d ask, not what those translations say, but what the text says. Unbiased.

I think along these lines:
"2. He [Grk. houtos, lit. “this”] was in the beginning with God.

In English translations, the masculine pronoun “he” is used, to refer to the Word, by analogy with the Greek, in which the word Logos is of masculine (grammatical) gender. This is pure coincidence, as can be easily seen form the fact that, for instance, in Greek, the word Pneuma (“Spirit”) is of neuter gender, or that Sophia (“Wisdom”) is of feminine gender. So, again, the result is to instill in the reader the false impression that the pre-incarnated Word is a personal entity.In the following verses, till verse no.10, even if the word Logos is not used any more until verse no.14, the reference is to the Logos of God, which is an essential attribute of God. Only at verse no.11, John’s Prologue starts speaking clearly of Jesus of Nazareth in/as whom the Logos of God became incarnated by means of the Holy Spirit of God and born of the Virgin Mary, as a person, the one person of Jesus Christ, true God and true man, one-begotten of the One God and Father, YHWH."

I think it is interesting to note how the Geneva bible translates Jhon 1:1-4. [i think] this translation was somewhat fifty years before the first k j v.

John 1 1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)

The Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ, According to John

1 In the beginning was that Word, and that Word was with God, and that Word was God.

2 This same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by it, and without It
nothing that was made.

4 In it was life, and that life was the light of men.

Interesting!

It is incredible that the Geneva Bible would so translate it! Talk about translational bias!
The Greek word is Strong’s number 846.
What follows are the many verses from the first 26 chapters of Matthew which contain the word. Wherever you see <846>, know that the word immediately preceding it, is the Greek word in question.
How many times can you find instances in which the word does not refer to a person or persons?
Let me know! You will find a few instances I know. But they are relatively rare.

Mt 1:2 Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot Judah and his <846> brothers.
Mt 1:11 Josiah begot Jeconiah and his <846> brothers about the time they were carried away to Babylon.
Mt 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His <846> mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they <846> came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.
Mt 1:19 Then Joseph her <846> husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her <846> a public example, was minded to put her <846> away secretly.
Mt 1:20 But while he <846> thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him <846> in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her <846> is of the Holy Spirit.
Mt 1:21 “And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His <846> name JESUS, for He <846> will save His <846> people from their <846> sins.”
Mt 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His <846> name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”
Mt 1:24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him <846> and took to him <846> his wife,
Mt 1:25 and did not know her <846> till she had brought forth her <846> firstborn Son. And he called His <846> name JESUS.
Mt 2:2 saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His <846> star in the East and have come to worship Him <846>.”
Mt 2:3 When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him <846>.
Mt 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them <846> where the Christ was to be born.
Mt 2:5 So they said to him <846>, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet:
Mt 2:7 Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them <846> what time the star appeared.
Mt 2:8 And he sent them <846> to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the young Child, and when you have found Him, bring back word to me, that I may come and worship Him <846> also.”
Mt 2:9 When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them <846>, till it came and stood over where the young Child was.
Mt 2:11 And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His <846> mother, and fell down and worshiped Him <846>. And when they had opened their <846> treasures, they presented gifts to Him <846>: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
Mt 2:12 Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own <846> country another way.
Mt 2:13 Now when they <846> had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His <846> mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him <846>.”
Mt 2:14 When he arose, he took the young Child and His <846> mother by night and departed for Egypt,
Mt 2:16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its <846> districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.
Mt 2:18 “A voice was heard in Ramah, Lamentation, weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her <846> children, Refusing to be comforted, Because they are no more.”
Mt 2:20 saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His <846> mother, and go to the land of Israel, for those who sought the young Child’s life are dead.”
Mt 2:21 Then he arose, took the young Child and His <846> mother, and came into the land of Israel.
Mt 2:22 But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea instead of his <846> father Herod, he was afraid to go there. And being warned by God in a dream, he turned aside into the region of Galilee.
Mt 3:3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His <846> paths straight.’ ”
Mt 3:4 And John himself <846> was clothed <846> in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his <846> waist; and his <846> food was locusts and wild honey.
Mt 3:5 Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him <846>
Mt 3:6 and were baptized by him <846> in the Jordan, confessing their <846> sins.
Mt 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his <846> baptism, he said to them <846>, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Mt 3:11 “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will <846> baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Mt 3:12 “His winnowing fan is in His <846> hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His <846> threshing floor, and gather His <846> wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
Mt 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him <846>.
Mt 3:15 But Jesus answered and said to him <846>, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him <846>.
Mt 3:16 When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him <846>, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him <846>.
Mt 4:3 Now when the tempter came to Him <846>, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
Mt 4:5 Then the devil took Him <846> up into the holy city, set Him <846> on the pinnacle of the temple,
Mt 4:6 and said to Him <846>, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: ‘He shall give His <846> angels charge over you,’ and, ‘In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’ ”
Mt 4:7 Jesus said to him <846>, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God.’ ”
Mt 4:8 Again, the devil took Him <846> up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him <846> all the kingdoms of the world and their <846> glory.
Mt 4:9 And he said to Him <846>, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”
Mt 4:10 Then Jesus said to him <846>, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him <846> only you shall serve.’ ”
Mt 4:11 Then the devil left Him <846>, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him <846>.
Mt 4:16 The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, And upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death Light has dawned <846>.”
Mt 4:18 And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his <846> brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.
Mt 4:19 Then He said to them <846>, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
Mt 4:20 They immediately left their nets and followed Him <846>.
Mt 4:21 Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his <846> brother, in the boat with Zebedee their <846> father, mending their <846> nets. He called them <846>,
Mt 4:22 and immediately they left the boat and their <846> father, and followed Him <846>.
Mt 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their <846> synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease among the people.
Mt 4:24 Then His <846> fame went throughout all Syria; and they brought to Him <846> all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics; and He healed them <846>.
Mt 4:25 Great multitudes followed Him <846> — from Galilee, and from Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea, and beyond the Jordan.
Mt 5:1 And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He <846> was seated His <846> disciples came to Him <846>.
Mt 5:2 Then He opened His <846> mouth and taught them <846>, saying:
Mt 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs <846> is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, For they <846> shall be comforted.
Mt 5:5 Blessed are the meek, For they <846> shall inherit the earth.
Mt 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they <846> shall be filled.
Mt 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, For they <846> shall obtain mercy.
Mt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, For they <846> shall see God.
Mt 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, For they <846> shall be called sons of God.
Mt 5:10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs <846> is the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 5:15 “Nor do they light a lamp and put it <846> under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
Mt 5:22 “But I say to you that whoever is angry with his <846> brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his <846> brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mt 5:25 “Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him <846>, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
Mt 5:28 “But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her <846> has already committed adultery with her <846> in his <846> heart.
Mt 5:29 “If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it <846> out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
Mt 5:30 “And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it <846> off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
Mt 5:31 “Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his <846> wife, let him give her <846> a certificate of divorce.’
Mt 5:32 “But I say to you that whoever divorces his <846> wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her <846> to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.
Mt 5:35 “nor by the earth, for it is His <846> footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
Mt 5:39 “But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him <846> also.
Mt 5:40 “If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him <846> have your cloak also.
Mt 5:41 “And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him <846> two.
Mt 5:45 “that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His <846> sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mt 5:46 “For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same <846>?
Mt 6:1 “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them <846>. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven.
Mt 6:2 “Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their <846> reward.
Mt 6:4 “that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself <846> reward you openly.
Mt 6:5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their <846> reward.
Mt 6:7 “And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their <846> many words.
Mt 6:8 “Therefore do not be like them <846>. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him <846>.
Mt 6:14 “For if you forgive men their <846> trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
Mt 6:15 “But if you do not forgive men their <846> trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Mt 6:16 “Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their <846> faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their <846> reward.
Mt 6:26 “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them <846>. Are you not of more value than they <846>?
Mt 6:27 “Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his <846> stature?
Mt 6:29 “and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his <846> glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mt 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His <846> righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
Mt 6:34 “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its <846> own trouble.
Mt 7:6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them <846> under their <846> feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.
Mt 7:9 “Or what man is there among you who, if his <846> son asks for bread, will give him <846> a stone?
Mt 7:10 “Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him <846> a serpent?
Mt 7:11 “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him <846>!
Mt 7:12 “Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them <846>, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Mt 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it <846>.
Mt 7:14 “Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it <846>.
Mt 7:16 “You will know them <846> by their <846> fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?
Mt 7:20 “Therefore by their <846> fruits you will know them <846>.
Mt 7:23 “And then I will declare to them <846>, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Mt 7:24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them <846>, I will liken him <846> to a wise man who built his <846> house on the rock:
Mt 7:26 “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them <846>, will be like a foolish man who built his <846> house on the sand:
Mt 7:27 “and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its <846> fall.”
Mt 7:28 And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His <846> teaching,
Mt 7:29 for He taught them <846> as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
Mt 8:1 When He had <846> come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed Him <846>.
Mt 8:2 And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him <846>, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.”
Mt 8:3 Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him <846>, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Immediately his <846> leprosy was cleansed.
Mt 8:4 And Jesus said to him <846>, “See that you tell no one; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a testimony to them <846>.”
Mt 8:5 Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him <846>, pleading with Him <846>,
Mt 8:7 And Jesus said to him <846>, “I will come and heal him <846>.”
Mt 8:13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you.” And his <846> servant was healed that same hour.
Mt 8:14 Now when Jesus had come into Peter’s house, He saw his <846> wife’s mother lying sick with a fever.
Mt 8:15 So He touched her <846> hand, and the fever left her <846>. And she arose and served them <846>.
Mt 8:16 When evening had come, they brought to Him <846> many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick,
Mt 8:17 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: “He Himself <846> took our infirmities And bore our sicknesses.”
Mt 8:18 And when Jesus saw great multitudes about Him <846>, He gave a command to depart to the other side.
Mt 8:19 Then a certain scribe came and said to Him <846>, “Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go.”
Mt 8:20 And Jesus said to him <846>, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.”
Mt 8:21 Then another of His <846> disciples said to Him <846>, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.”
Mt 8:22 But Jesus said to him <846>, “Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”
Mt 8:23 Now when He <846> got into a boat, His <846> disciples followed Him <846>.
Mt 8:24 And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He <846> was asleep.
Mt 8:25 Then His <846> disciples came to Him and awoke Him <846>, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!”
Mt 8:26 But He said to them <846>, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.
Mt 8:27 So the men marveled, saying, “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him <846>?”
Mt 8:28 When He <846> had come to the other side, to the country of the Gergesenes, there met Him <846> two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that no one could pass that way.
Mt 8:30 Now a good way off from them <846> there was a herd of many swine feeding.
Mt 8:31 So the demons begged Him <846>, saying, “If You cast us out, permit us to go away into the herd of swine.”
Mt 8:32 And He said to them <846>, “Go.” So when they had come out, they went into the herd of swine. And suddenly the whole herd of swine ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and perished in the water.
Mt 8:34 And behold, the whole city came out to meet Jesus. And when they saw Him <846>, they begged Him to depart from their <846> region.
Mt 9:2 Then behold, they brought to Him <846> a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their <846> faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”
Mt 9:4 But Jesus, knowing their <846> thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts?
Mt 9:7 And he arose and departed to his <846> house.
Mt 9:9 As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him <846>, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him <846>.
Mt 9:10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him <846> and His <846> disciples.
Mt 9:11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His <846> disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
Mt 9:12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them <846>, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
Mt 9:14 Then the disciples of John came to Him <846>, saying, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but Your disciples do not fast?”
Mt 9:15 And Jesus said to them <846>, “Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them <846>? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them <846>, and then they will fast.
Mt 9:16 “No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away <846> from the garment, and the tear is made worse.
Mt 9:18 While He <846> spoke these things to them <846>, behold, a ruler came and worshiped Him <846>, saying, “My daughter has just died, but come and lay Your hand on her <846> and she will live.”
Mt 9:19 So Jesus arose and followed him <846>, and so did His <846> disciples.
Mt 9:20 And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His <846> garment.
Mt 9:21 For she said to herself, “If only I may touch His <846> garment, I shall be made well.”
Mt 9:22 But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her <846> He said, “Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And the woman was made well from that hour.
Mt 9:24 He said to them <846>, “Make room, for the girl is not dead, but sleeping.” And they ridiculed Him <846>.
Mt 9:25 But when the crowd was put outside, He went in and took her <846> by the hand, and the girl arose.
Mt 9:27 When Jesus departed from there, two blind men followed Him <846>, crying out and saying, “Son of David, have mercy on us!”
Mt 9:28 And when He had come into the house, the blind men came to Him <846>. And Jesus said to them <846>, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” They said to Him <846>, “Yes, Lord.”
Mt 9:29 Then He touched their <846> eyes, saying, “According to your faith let it be to you.”
Mt 9:30 And their <846> eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them <846>, saying, “See that no one knows it.”
Mt 9:31 But when they had departed, they spread the news about Him <846> in all that country.
Mt 9:32 As they <846> went out, behold, they brought to Him <846> a man, mute and demon-possessed.
Mt 9:35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their <846> synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
Mt 9:36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them <846>, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.
Mt 9:37 Then He said to His <846> disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.
Mt 9:38 “Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His <846> harvest.”
Mt 10:1 And when He had called His <846> twelve disciples to Him, He gave them <846> power over unclean spirits, to cast them <846> out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease.
Mt 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his <846> brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his <846> brother;
Mt 10:4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed Him <846>.
Mt 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them <846>, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans.
Mt 10:10 “nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his <846> food.
Mt 10:11 “Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it <846> is worthy, and stay there till you go out.
Mt 10:12 “And when you go into a household, greet it <846>.
Mt 10:13 “If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it <846>. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.
Mt 10:17 “But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their <846> synagogues.
Mt 10:18 “You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them <846> and to the Gentiles.
Mt 10:21 “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them <846> to be put to death.
Mt 10:24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his <846> master.
Mt 10:25 “It is enough for a disciple that he be like his <846> teacher, and a servant like his <846> master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his <846> household!
Mt 10:26 “Therefore do not fear them <846>. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.
Mt 10:29 “Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them <846> falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
Mt 10:32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him <846> I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.
Mt 10:33 “But whoever denies Me before men, him <846> I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.
Mt 10:35 “For I have come to ‘set a man against his <846> father, a daughter against her <846> mother, and a daughter-in-law against her <846> mother-in-law’;
Mt 10:36 “and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own <846> household.’
Mt 10:38 “And he who does not take his <846> cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
Mt 10:39 “He who finds his <846> life will lose it <846>, and he who loses his <846> life for My sake will find it <846>.
Mt 10:42 “And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his <846> reward.”
Mt 11:1 Now it came to pass, when Jesus finished commanding His <846> twelve disciples, that He departed from there to teach and to preach in their <846> cities.
Mt 11:2 And when John had heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his <846> disciples
Mt 11:3 and said to Him <846>, “Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another?”
Mt 11:4 Jesus answered and said to them <846>, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see:
Mt 11:11 “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he <846>.
Mt 11:12 “And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it <846> by force.
Mt 11:14 “And if you are willing to receive it, he <846> is Elijah who is to come.
Mt 11:16 “But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their <846> companions,
Mt 11:19 “The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is justified by her <846> children.”
Mt 11:20 Then He began to rebuke the cities in which most of His <846> mighty works had been done, because they did not repent:
Mt 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them <846> to babes.
Mt 12:1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. And His <846> disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat.
Mt 12:2 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to Him <846>, “Look, Your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath!”
Mt 12:3 But He said to them <846>, “Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he <846> and those who were with him <846>:
Mt 12:4 “how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him <846> to eat, nor for those who were with him <846>, but only for the priests?
Mt 12:9 Now when He had departed from there, He went into their <846> synagogue.
Mt 12:10 And behold, there was a man who had a withered hand. And they asked Him <846>, saying, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?” — that they might accuse Him <846>.
Mt 12:11 Then He said to them <846>, “What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it <846> and lift it out?
Mt 12:14 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him <846>, how they might destroy Him <846>.
Mt 12:15 But when Jesus knew it, He withdrew from there. And great multitudes followed Him <846>, and He healed them <846> all.
Mt 12:16 Yet He warned them <846> not to make Him <846> known,
Mt 12:18 “Behold! My Servant whom I have chosen, My Beloved in whom My soul is well pleased! I will put My Spirit upon Him <846>, And He will declare justice to the Gentiles.
Mt 12:19 He will not quarrel nor cry out, Nor will anyone hear His <846> voice in the streets.
Mt 12:21 And in His <846> name Gentiles will trust.”
Mt 12:22 Then one was brought to Him <846> who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him <846>, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw.
Mt 12:25 But Jesus knew their <846> thoughts, and said to them <846>: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand.
Mt 12:26 “If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his <846> kingdom stand?
Mt 12:27 “And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they <846> shall be your judges.
Mt 12:29 “Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his <846> goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his <846> house.
Mt 12:32 “Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him <846>; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him <846>, either in this age or in the age to come.
Mt 12:33 “Either make the tree good and its <846> fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its <846> fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit.
Mt 12:36 “But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it <846> in the day of judgment.
Mt 12:39 But He answered and said to them <846>, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it <846> except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
Mt 12:41 “The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it <846>, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here.
Mt 12:42 “The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it <846>, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.
Mt 12:46 While He <846> was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His <846> mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him <846>.
Mt 12:47 Then one said to Him <846>, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”
Mt 12:48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him <846>, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?”
Mt 12:49 And He stretched out His <846> hand toward His <846> disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers!
Mt 12:50 “For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is <846> My brother and sister and mother.”
Mt 13:2 And great multitudes were gathered together to Him <846>, so that He <846> got into a boat and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.
Mt 13:3 Then He spoke many things to them <846> in parables, saying: “Behold, a sower went out to sow.
Mt 13:4 “And as he <846> sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them <846>.
Mt 13:7 “And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them <846>.
Mt 13:10 And the disciples came and said to Him <846>, “Why do You speak to them <846> in parables?”
Mt 13:11 He answered and said to them <846>, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.
Mt 13:12 “For whoever has, to him <846> more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him <846>.
Mt 13:13 “Therefore I speak to them <846> in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.
Mt 13:14 “And in them <846> the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says: ‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand, And seeing you will see and not perceive;
Mt 13:15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, And their <846> eyes they have closed, Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them <846>.’
Mt 13:19 “When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his <846> heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside.
Mt 13:20 “But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it <846> with joy;
Mt 13:24 Another parable He put forth to them <846>, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his <846> field;
Mt 13:25 “but while men slept, his <846> enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way.
Mt 13:27 “So the servants of the owner came and said to him <846>, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’
Mt 13:28 “He said to them <846>, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him <846>, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them <846> up?’
Mt 13:29 “But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them <846>.
Mt 13:30 ‘Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them <846> in bundles to burn them <846>, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’ ”
Mt 13:31 Another parable He put forth to them <846>, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his <846> field,
Mt 13:32 “which indeed is the least of all the seeds; but when it is grown it is greater than the herbs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and nest in its <846> branches.”
Mt 13:33 Another parable He spoke to them <846>: “The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened.”
Mt 13:34 All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them <846>,
Mt 13:36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away and went into the house. And His <846> disciples came to Him <846>, saying, “Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.”
Mt 13:37 He answered and said to them <846>: “He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man.
Mt 13:39 “The enemy who sowed them <846> is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels.
Mt 13:41 “The Son of Man will send out His <846> angels, and they will gather out of His <846> kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness,
Mt 13:42 “and will cast them <846> into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Mt 13:43 “Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their <846> Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!
Mt 13:44 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it <846> he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
Mt 13:46 “who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it <846>.
Mt 13:50 “and cast them <846> into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.”
Mt 13:51 Jesus said to them <846>, “Have you understood all these things?” They said to Him <846>, “Yes, Lord.”
Mt 13:52 Then He said to them <846>, “Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his <846> treasure things new and old.”
Mt 13:54 And when He had come to His own <846> country, He taught them <846> in their <846> synagogue, so that they <846> were astonished and said, “Where did this Man get this wisdom and these mighty works?
Mt 13:55 “Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His <846> mother called Mary? And His <846> brothers James, Joses, Simon, and Judas?
Mt 13:56 “And His <846> sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?”
Mt 13:57 So they were offended at Him <846>. But Jesus said to them <846>, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own <846> country and in his own <846> house.”
Mt 13:58 Now He did not do many mighty works there because of their <846> unbelief.
Mt 14:2 and said to his <846> servants, “This is John the Baptist; he <846> is risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him <846>.”
Mt 14:3 For Herod had laid hold of John and bound him <846>, and put him in prison for the sake of Herodias, his <846> brother Philip’s wife.
Mt 14:4 Because John had said to him <846>, “It is not lawful for you to have her <846>.”
Mt 14:5 And although he wanted to put him <846> to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him <846> as a prophet.
Mt 14:7 Therefore he promised with an oath to give her <846> whatever she might ask.
Mt 14:8 So she, having been prompted by her <846> mother, said, “Give me John the Baptist’s head here on a platter.”
Mt 14:11 And his <846> head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she brought it to her <846> mother.
Mt 14:12 Then his <846> disciples came and took away the body and buried it <846>, and went and told Jesus.
Mt 14:13 When Jesus heard it, He departed from there by boat to a deserted place by Himself. But when the multitudes heard it, they followed Him <846> on foot from the cities.
Mt 14:14 And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them <846>, and healed their <846> sick.
Mt 14:15 When it was evening, His <846> disciples came to Him <846>, saying, “This is a deserted place, and the hour is already late. Send the multitudes away, that they may go into the villages and buy themselves food.”
Mt 14:16 But Jesus said to them <846>, “They do not need to go away. You give them <846> something to eat.”
Mt 14:17 And they said to Him <846>, “We have here only five loaves and two fish.”
Mt 14:18 He said, “Bring them <846> here to Me.”
Mt 14:22 Immediately Jesus made His <846> disciples get into the boat and go before Him <846> to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away.
Mt 14:25 Now in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them <846>, walking on the sea.
Mt 14:26 And when the disciples saw Him <846> walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out for fear.
Mt 14:27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them <846>, saying, “Be of good cheer! It is I; do not be afraid.”
Mt 14:28 And Peter answered Him <846> and said, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.”
Mt 14:31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him <846>, and said to him <846>, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
Mt 14:32 And when they <846> got into the boat, the wind ceased.
Mt 14:33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him <846>, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.”
Mt 14:35 And when the men of that place recognized Him <846>, they sent out into all that surrounding region, brought to Him <846> all who were sick,
Mt 14:36 and begged Him <846> that they might only touch the hem of His <846> garment. And as many as touched it were made perfectly well.
Mt 15:2 “Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their <846> hands when they eat bread.”
Mt 15:3 He answered and said to them <846>, “Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition?
Mt 15:6 ‘then he need not honor his <846> father or <846> mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition.
Mt 15:8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their <846> mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their <846> heart is far from Me.
Mt 15:10 When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them <846>, “Hear and understand:
Mt 15:12 Then His <846> disciples came and said to Him <846>, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?”
Mt 15:14 “Let them <846> alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch.”
Mt 15:15 Then Peter answered and said to Him <846>, “Explain this parable to us.”
Mt 15:22 And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him <846>, saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.”
Mt 15:23 But He answered her <846> not a word. And His <846> disciples came and urged Him <846>, saying, “Send her <846> away, for she cries out after us.”
Mt 15:25 Then she came and worshiped Him <846>, saying, “Lord, help me!”
Mt 15:27 And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their <846> masters’ table.”
Mt 15:28 Then Jesus answered and said to her <846>, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her <846> daughter was healed from that very hour.
Mt 15:30 Then great multitudes came to Him <846>, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others; and they laid them <846> down at Jesus’ feet, and He healed them <846>.
Mt 15:32 Now Jesus called His <846> disciples to Himself and said, “I have compassion on the multitude, because they have now continued with Me three days and have nothing to eat. And I do not want to send them <846> away hungry, lest they faint on the way.”
Mt 15:33 Then His <846> disciples said to Him <846>, “Where could we get enough bread in the wilderness to fill such a great multitude?”
Mt 15:34 Jesus said to them <846>, “How many loaves do you have?” And they said, “Seven, and a few little fish.”
Mt 15:36 And He took the seven loaves and the fish and gave thanks, broke them and gave them to His <846> disciples; and the disciples gave to the multitude.
Mt 16:1 Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him <846> asked that He would show them <846> a sign from heaven.
Mt 16:2 He answered and said to them <846>, “When it is evening you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red’;
Mt 16:4 “A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it <846> except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them <846> and departed.
Mt 16:5 Now when His <846> disciples had come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.
Mt 16:6 Then Jesus said to them <846>, “Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.”
Mt 16:8 But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them <846>, “O you of little faith, why do you reason among yourselves because you have brought no bread?
Mt 16:13 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His <846> disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
Mt 16:15 He said to them <846>, “But who do you say that I am?”
Mt 16:17 Jesus answered and said to him <846>, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
Mt 16:18 “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it <846>.
Mt 16:20 Then He commanded His <846> disciples that they should tell no one that He <846> was Jesus the Christ.
Mt 16:21 From that time Jesus began to show to His <846> disciples that He <846> must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.
Mt 16:22 Then Peter took Him <846> aside and began to rebuke Him <846>, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!”
Mt 16:24 Then Jesus said to His <846> disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his <846> cross, and follow Me.
Mt 16:25 “For whoever desires to save his <846> life will lose it <846>, but whoever loses his <846> life for My sake will find it <846>.
Mt 16:26 “For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own <846> soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his <846> soul?
Mt 16:27 “For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His <846> Father with His <846> angels, and then He will reward each according to his <846> works.
Mt 16:28 “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His <846> kingdom.”
Mt 17:1 Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his <846> brother, led them <846> up on a high mountain by themselves;
Mt 17:2 and He was transfigured before them <846>. His <846> face shone like the sun, and His <846> clothes became as white as the light.
Mt 17:3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them <846>, talking with Him <846>.
Mt 17:5 While he <846> was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them <846>; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him <846>!”
Mt 17:6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their <846> faces and were greatly afraid.
Mt 17:7 But Jesus came and touched them <846> and said, “Arise, and do not be afraid.”
Mt 17:8 When they had lifted up their <846> eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.
Mt 17:9 Now as they <846> came down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them <846>, saying, “Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man is risen from the dead.”
Mt 17:10 And His <846> disciples asked Him <846>, saying, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”
Mt 17:11 Jesus answered and said to them <846>, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things.
Mt 17:12 “But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him <846> but did to him <846> whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands <846>.”
Mt 17:13 Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them <846> of John the Baptist.
Mt 17:14 And when they <846> had come to the multitude, a man came to Him <846>, kneeling down to Him <846> and saying,
Mt 17:16 “So I brought him <846> to Your disciples, but they could not cure him <846>.”
Mt 17:17 Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him <846> here to Me.”
Mt 17:18 And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it <846> came out of him <846>; and the child was cured from that very hour.
Mt 17:19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it <846> out?”
Mt 17:20 So Jesus said to them <846>, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.
Mt 17:22 Now while they <846> were staying in Galilee, Jesus said to them <846>, “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men,
Mt 17:23 “and they will kill Him <846>, and the third day He will be raised up.” And they were exceedingly sorrowful.
Mt 17:24 When they <846> had come to Capernaum, those who received the temple tax came to Peter and said, “Does your Teacher not pay the temple tax?”
Mt 17:25 He said, “Yes.” And when he had come into the house, Jesus anticipated him <846>, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their <846> sons or from strangers?”
Mt 17:26 Peter said to Him <846>, “From strangers.” Jesus said to him <846>, “Then the sons are free.
Mt 17:27 “Nevertheless, lest we offend them <846>, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its <846> mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them <846> for Me and you.”
Mt 18:2 Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him <846> in the midst of them <846>,
Mt 18:6 “But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him <846> if a millstone were hung around his <846> neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
Mt 18:8 “If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it <846> off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire.
Mt 18:9 “And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it <846> out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire.
Mt 18:10 “Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their <846> angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.
Mt 18:12 “What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them <846> goes astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine and go to the mountains to seek the one that is straying?
Mt 18:13 “And if he should find it <846>, assuredly, I say to you, he rejoices more over that <846> sheep than over the ninety-nine that did not go astray.
Mt 18:15 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him <846> his fault between you and him <846> alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother.
Mt 18:17 “And if he refuses to hear them <846>, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.
Mt 18:19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them <846> by My Father in heaven.
Mt 18:20 “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them <846>.”
Mt 18:21 Then Peter came to Him <846> and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him <846>? Up to seven times?”
Mt 18:22 Jesus said to him <846>, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
Mt 18:23 “Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his <846> servants.
Mt 18:24 “And when he <846> had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him <846> who owed him <846> ten thousand talents.
Mt 18:25 “But as he <846> was not able to pay, his <846> master commanded that he <846> be sold, with his <846> wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made.
Mt 18:26 “The servant therefore fell down before him <846>, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’
Mt 18:27 “Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him <846>, and forgave him <846> the debt.
Mt 18:28 “But that servant went out and found one of his <846> fellow servants who owed him <846> a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him <846> and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’
Mt 18:29 “So his <846> fellow servant fell down at his <846> feet and begged him <846>, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’
Mt 18:30 “And he would not, but went and threw him <846> into prison till he should pay the debt.
Mt 18:31 “So when his <846> fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their <846> master all that had been done.
Mt 18:32 “Then his <846> master, after he had called him <846>, said to him <846>, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me.
Mt 18:34 “And his <846> master was angry, and delivered him <846> to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him <846>.
Mt 18:35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his <846> brother his <846> trespasses.”
Mt 19:2 And great multitudes followed Him <846>, and He healed them <846> there.
Mt 19:3 The Pharisees also came to Him <846>, testing Him <846>, and saying to Him <846>, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his <846> wife for just any reason?”
Mt 19:4 And He answered and said to them <846>, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them <846> male and female,’
Mt 19:5 “and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his <846> wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?
Mt 19:7 They said to Him <846>, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her <846> away?”
Mt 19:8 He said to them <846>, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
Mt 19:9 “And I say to you, whoever divorces his <846> wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
Mt 19:10 His <846> disciples said to Him <846>, “If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”
Mt 19:11 But He said to them <846>, “All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given:
Mt 19:13 Then little children were brought to Him <846> that He might put His hands on them <846> and pray, but the disciples rebuked them <846>.
Mt 19:14 But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them <846>; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”
Mt 19:15 And He laid His hands on them <846> and departed from there.
Mt 19:16 Now behold, one came and said to Him <846>, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
Mt 19:17 So He said to him <846>, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
Mt 19:18 He said to Him <846>, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “ ‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
Mt 19:20 The young man said to Him <846>, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”
Mt 19:21 Jesus said to him <846>, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
Mt 19:23 Then Jesus said to His <846> disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Mt 19:25 When His <846> disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”
Mt 19:26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them <846>, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Mt 19:27 Then Peter answered and said to Him <846>, “See, we have left all and followed You. Therefore what shall we have?”
Mt 19:28 So Jesus said to them <846>, “Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of His <846> glory, you who have followed Me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Mt 20:1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his <846> vineyard.
Mt 20:2 “Now when he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them <846> into his <846> vineyard.
Mt 20:6 “And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing idle, and said to them <846>, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day?’
Mt 20:7 “They said to him <846>, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He said to them <846>, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right you will receive.’
Mt 20:8 “So when evening had come, the owner of the vineyard said to his <846> steward, ‘Call the laborers and give them <846> their wages, beginning with the last to the first.’
Mt 20:10 “But when the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise received each <846> a denarius.
Mt 20:12 “saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you made them <846> equal to us who have borne the burden and the heat of the day.’
Mt 20:13 “But he answered one of them <846> and said, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius?
Mt 20:17 Now Jesus, going up to Jerusalem, took the twelve disciples aside on the road and said to them <846>,
Mt 20:18 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him <846> to death,
Mt 20:19 “and deliver Him <846> to the Gentiles to mock and to scourge and to crucify. And the third day He will rise again.”
Mt 20:20 Then the mother of Zebedee’s sons came to Him <846> with her <846> sons, kneeling down and asking something from Him <846>.
Mt 20:21 And He said to her <846>, “What do you wish?” She said to Him <846>, “Grant that these two sons of mine may sit, one on Your right hand and the other on the left, in Your kingdom.”
Mt 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, “You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?” They said to Him <846>, “We are able.”
Mt 20:23 So He said to them <846>, “You will indeed drink My cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with; but to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared by My Father.”
Mt 20:25 But Jesus called them <846> to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them <846>, and those who are great exercise authority over them <846>.
Mt 20:28 “just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His <846> life a ransom for many.”
Mt 20:29 Now as they <846> went out of Jericho, a great multitude followed Him <846>.
Mt 20:31 Then the multitude warned them <846> that they should be quiet; but they cried out all the more, saying, “Have mercy on us, O Lord, Son of David!”
Mt 20:32 So Jesus stood still and called them <846>, and said, “What do you want Me to do for you?”
Mt 20:33 They said to Him <846>, “Lord, that our eyes may be opened.”
Mt 20:34 So Jesus had compassion and touched their <846> eyes. And immediately their <846> eyes received sight, and they followed Him <846>.
Mt 21:2 saying to them <846>, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her <846>. Loose them and bring them to Me.
Mt 21:3 “And if anyone says anything to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord has need of them <846>,’ and immediately he will send them <846>.”
Mt 21:6 So the disciples went and did as Jesus commanded them <846>.
Mt 21:7 They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their <846> clothes on them <846>, and set Him on them <846>.
Mt 21:10 And when He <846> had come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, “Who is this?”
Mt 21:13 And He said to them <846>, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it <846> a ‘den of thieves.’ ”
Mt 21:14 Then the blind and the lame came to Him <846> in the temple, and He healed them <846>.
Mt 21:16 and said to Him <846>, “Do You hear what these are saying?” And Jesus said to them <846>, “Yes. Have you never read, ‘Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have perfected praise’?”
Mt 21:17 Then He left them <846> and went out of the city to Bethany, and He lodged there.
Mt 21:19 And seeing a fig tree by the road, He came to it <846> and found nothing on it <846> but leaves, and said to it <846>, “Let no fruit grow on you ever again.” Immediately the fig tree withered away.
Mt 21:21 So Jesus answered and said to them <846>, “Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ it will be done.
Mt 21:23 Now when He <846> came into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people confronted Him <846> as He was teaching, and said, “By what authority are You doing these things? And who gave You this authority?”
Mt 21:24 But Jesus answered and said to them <846>, “I also will ask you one thing, which if you tell Me, I likewise will tell you by what authority I do these things:
Mt 21:25 “The baptism of John — where was it from? From heaven or from men?” And they reasoned among themselves, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will say to us, ‘Why then did you not believe him <846>?’
Mt 21:27 So they answered Jesus and said, “We do not know.” And He <846> said to them <846>, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.
Mt 21:31 “Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said to Him <846>, “The first.” Jesus said to them <846>, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you.
Mt 21:32 “For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him <846>; but tax collectors and harlots believed him <846>; and when you saw it, you did not afterward relent and believe him <846>.
Mt 21:33 “Hear another parable: There was a certain landowner who planted a vineyard and set a hedge around it <846>, dug a winepress in it <846> and built a tower. And he leased it <846> to vinedressers and went into a far country.
Mt 21:34 “Now when vintage-time drew near, he sent his <846> servants to the vinedressers, that they might receive its <846> fruit.
Mt 21:35 “And the vinedressers took his <846> servants, beat one, killed one, and stoned another.
Mt 21:36 “Again he sent other servants, more than the first, and they did likewise to them <846>.
Mt 21:37 “Then last of all he sent his <846> son to them <846>, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’
Mt 21:38 “But when the vinedressers saw the son, they said among themselves, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him <846> and seize his <846> inheritance.’
Mt 21:39 “So they took him <846> and cast him out of the vineyard and killed him.
Mt 21:41 They said to Him <846>, “He will destroy those <846> wicked men miserably, and lease his vineyard to other vinedressers who will render to him <846> the fruits in their <846> seasons.”
Mt 21:42 Jesus said to them <846>, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: ‘The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone. This was the LORD’S doing, And it is marvelous in our eyes’?
Mt 21:43 “Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it <846>.
Mt 21:44 “And whoever falls on this stone will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him <846> to powder.”
Mt 21:45 Now when the chief priests and Pharisees heard His <846> parables, they perceived that He was speaking of them <846>.
Mt 21:46 But when they sought to lay hands on Him <846>, they feared the multitudes, because they took Him <846> for a prophet.
Mt 22:1 And Jesus answered and spoke to them <846> again by parables and said:
Mt 22:2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his <846> son,
Mt 22:3 “and sent out his <846> servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come.
Mt 22:5 “But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his <846> business.
Mt 22:6 “And the rest seized his <846> servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them.
Mt 22:7 “But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his <846> armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their <846> city.
Mt 22:8 “Then he said to his <846> servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy.
Mt 22:12 “So he said to him <846>, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless.
Mt 22:13 “Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him <846> hand and foot, take him <846> away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Mt 22:15 Then the Pharisees went and plotted how they might entangle Him <846> in His talk.
Mt 22:16 And they sent to Him <846> their <846> disciples with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that You are true, and teach the way of God in truth; nor do You care about anyone, for You do not regard the person of men.
Mt 22:18 But Jesus perceived their <846> wickedness, and said, “Why do you test Me, you hypocrites?
Mt 22:19 “Show Me the tax money.” So they brought Him <846> a denarius.
Mt 22:20 And He said to them <846>, “Whose image and inscription is this?”
Mt 22:21 They said to Him <846>, “Caesar’s.” And He said to them <846>, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”
Mt 22:22 When they had heard these words, they marveled, and left Him <846> and went their way.
Mt 22:23 The same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Him <846> and asked Him <846>,
Mt 22:24 saying: “Teacher, Moses said that if a man dies, having no children, his <846> brother shall marry his <846> wife and raise up offspring for his <846> brother.
Mt 22:25 “Now there were with us seven brothers. The first died after he had married, and having no offspring, left his <846> wife to his <846> brother.
Mt 22:28 “Therefore, in the resurrection, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had her <846>.”
Mt 22:29 Jesus answered and said to them <846>, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God.
Mt 22:33 And when the multitudes heard this, they were astonished at His <846> teaching.
Mt 22:34 But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together <846>.
Mt 22:35 Then one of them <846>, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him <846>, and saying,
Mt 22:37 Jesus said to him <846>, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
Mt 22:39 “And the second is like it <846>: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
Mt 22:41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them <846>,
Mt 22:42 saying, “What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?” They said to Him <846>, “The Son of David.”
Mt 22:43 He said to them <846>, “How then does David in the Spirit call Him <846> ‘Lord,’ saying:
Mt 22:45 “If David then calls Him <846> ‘Lord,’ how is He his <846> Son?”
Mt 22:46 And no one was able to answer Him <846> a word, nor from that day on did anyone dare question Him <846> anymore.
Mt 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His <846> disciples,
Mt 23:3 “Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their <846> works; for they say, and do not do.
Mt 23:4 “For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them <846> with one of their <846> fingers.
Mt 23:5 “But all their <846> works they do to be seen by men. They make their <846> phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their <846> garments.
Mt 23:15 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him <846> twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
Mt 23:18 “And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gift that is on it <846>, he is obliged to perform it.’
Mt 23:20 “Therefore he who swears by the altar, swears by it <846> and by all things on it <846>.
Mt 23:21 “He who swears by the temple, swears by it <846> and by Him who dwells in it <846>.
Mt 23:22 “And he who swears by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by Him who sits on it <846>.
Mt 23:26 “Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them <846> may be clean also.
Mt 23:30 “and say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them <846> in the blood of the prophets.’
Mt 23:34 “Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them <846> you will kill and crucify, and some of them <846> you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city,
Mt 23:37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her <846>! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!
Mt 24:1 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His <846> disciples came up to show Him <846> the buildings of the temple.
Mt 24:2 And Jesus said to them <846>, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.”
Mt 24:3 Now as He <846> sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him <846> privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”
Mt 24:4 And Jesus answered and said to them <846>: “Take heed that no one deceives you.
Mt 24:17 “Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his <846> house.
Mt 24:18 “And let him who is in the field not go back to get his <846> clothes.
Mt 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its <846> light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
Mt 24:31 “And He will send His <846> angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His <846> elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other <846>.
Mt 24:32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its <846> branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near.
Mt 24:43 “But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his <846> house to be broken into.
Mt 24:45 “Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his <846> master made ruler over his <846> household, to give them <846> food in due season?
Mt 24:46 “Blessed is that servant whom his <846> master, when he comes, will find so doing.
Mt 24:47 “Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him <846> ruler over all his <846> goods.
Mt 24:48 “But if that evil servant says in his <846> heart, ‘My master is delaying his coming,’
Mt 24:51 “and will cut him <846> in two and appoint him his <846> portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mt 25:1 “Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their <846> lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
Mt 25:2 “Now five of them <846> were wise, and five were foolish.
Mt 25:3 “Those who were foolish took their <846> lamps and took no oil with them,
Mt 25:4 “but the wise took oil in their <846> vessels with their <846> lamps.
Mt 25:6 “And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him <846>!’
Mt 25:7 “Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their <846> lamps.
Mt 25:10 “And while they <846> went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him <846> to the wedding; and the door was shut.
Mt 25:14 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his <846> goods to them <846>.
Mt 25:16 “Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them <846>, and made another five talents.
Mt 25:17 “And likewise he <846> who had received two gained two more also.
Mt 25:18 “But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his <846> lord’s money.
Mt 25:19 “After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them <846>.
Mt 25:20 “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them <846>.’
Mt 25:21 “His <846> lord said to him <846>, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’
Mt 25:22 “He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them <846>.’
Mt 25:23 “His <846> lord said to him <846>, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’
Mt 25:26 “But his <846> lord answered and said to him <846>, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed.
Mt 25:28 ‘Therefore take the talent from him <846>, and give it to him who has ten talents.
Mt 25:29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him <846> who does not have, even what he has will be taken away.
Mt 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His <846> glory, and all the holy angels with Him <846>, then He will sit on the throne of His <846> glory.
Mt 25:32 “All the nations will be gathered before Him <846>, and He will separate them <846> one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.
Mt 25:33 “And He will set the sheep on His <846> right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mt 25:34 “Then the King will say to those on His <846> right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mt 25:37 “Then the righteous will answer Him <846>, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?
Mt 25:40 “And the King will answer and say to them <846>, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
Mt 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his <846> angels:
Mt 25:44 “Then they <846> also will answer Him <846>, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’
Mt 25:45 “Then He will answer them <846>, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’
Mt 26:1 Now it came to pass, when Jesus had finished all these sayings, that He said to His <846> disciples,
Mt 26:7 a woman came to Him <846> having an alabaster flask of very costly fragrant oil, and she poured it on His <846> head as He sat at the table.
Mt 26:8 But when His <846> disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, “Why this waste?
Mt 26:10 But when Jesus was aware of it, He said to them <846>, “Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a good work for Me.
Mt 26:12 “For in pouring this fragrant oil on My body, she <846> did it for My burial.
Mt 26:13 “Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman <846> has done will also be told as a memorial to her <846>.”
Mt 26:15 and said, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him <846> to you?” And they counted out to him <846> thirty pieces of silver.
Mt 26:16 So from that time he sought opportunity to betray Him <846>.
Mt 26:17 Now on the first day of the Feast of the Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying to Him <846>, “Where do You want us to prepare for You to eat the Passover?”
Mt 26:18 And He said, “Go into the city to a certain man, and say to him <846>, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is at hand; I will keep the Passover at your house with My disciples.”’ ”
Mt 26:19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them <846>; and they prepared the Passover.
Mt 26:21 Now as they <846> were eating, He said, “Assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.”
Mt 26:22 And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and each of them <846> began to say to Him <846>, “Lord, is it I?”
Mt 26:24 “The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him <846>, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man <846> if he had not been born.”
Mt 26:25 Then Judas, who was betraying Him <846>, answered and said, “Rabbi, is it I?” He said to him <846>, “You have said it.”
Mt 26:26 And as they <846> were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”
Mt 26:27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them <846>, saying, “Drink from it <846>, all of you.
Mt 26:29 “But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it <846> new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
Mt 26:31 Then Jesus said to them <846>, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: ‘I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
Mt 26:33 Peter answered and said to Him <846>, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”
Mt 26:34 Jesus said to him <846>, “Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”
Mt 26:35 Peter said to Him <846>, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!” And so said all the disciples.
Mt 26:36 Then Jesus came with them <846> to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, “Sit here while I go and pray over there.”
Mt 26:38 Then He said to them <846>, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me.”
Mt 26:39 He went a little farther and fell on His <846> face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”
Mt 26:40 Then He came to the disciples and found them <846> asleep, and said to Peter, “What? Could you not watch with Me one hour?
Mt 26:42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it <846>, Your will be done.”
Mt 26:43 And He came and found them <846> asleep again, for their <846> eyes were heavy.
Mt 26:44 So He left them <846>, went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same <846> words.
Mt 26:45 Then He came to His <846> disciples and said to them <846>, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners.
Mt 26:47 And while He <846> was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, with <846> a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and elders of the people.
Mt 26:48 Now His betrayer had given them <846> <846> a sign, saying, “Whomever I kiss, He <846> is the One <846>; seize Him <846>.”
Mt 26:49 Immediately he went up to Jesus and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed Him <846>.
Mt 26:50 But Jesus said to him <846>, “Friend, why have you come?” Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and took Him <846>.
Mt 26:51 And suddenly, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his <846> sword, struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his <846> ear.
Mt 26:52 But Jesus said to him <846>, “Put your sword in its <846> place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.
Mt 26:56 “But all this was done that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples forsook Him <846> and fled.
Mt 26:58 But Peter followed Him <846> at a distance to the high priest’s courtyard. And he went in and sat with the servants to see the end.
Mt 26:59 Now the chief priests, the elders, and all the council sought false testimony against Jesus to put Him <846> to death,
Mt 26:61 and said, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it <846> in three days.’ ”
Mt 26:62 And the high priest arose and said to Him <846>, “Do You answer nothing? What is it these men testify against You?”
Mt 26:63 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest answered and said to Him <846>, “I put You under oath by the living God: Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God!”
Mt 26:64 Jesus said to him <846>, “It is as you said. Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
Mt 26:65 Then the high priest tore his <846> clothes, saying, “He has spoken blasphemy! What further need do we have of witnesses? Look, now you have heard His <846> blasphemy!
Mt 26:67 Then they spat in His <846> face and beat Him <846>; and others struck Him with the palms of their hands,
Mt 26:69 Now Peter sat outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came to him <846>, saying, “You also were with Jesus of Galilee.”
Mt 26:71 And when he <846> had gone out to the gateway, another girl saw him <846> and said to those who were there, “This fellow also was with Jesus of Nazareth.”
Mt 26:73 And a little later those who stood by came up and said to Peter, “Surely you also are one of them <846>, for your speech betrays you.”
Mt 26:75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus who had said to him <846>, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.” So he went out and wept bitterly.

Apparently there are a whole host of reasons that all those verses have nothing to do with John chapter 1 and the Logos.

Here, I’ve drastically shortened a long-ish study on this; I link to it at the end. It is worth studying imo.

"Bible readers instinctively hear the text of John 1:1 as follows: “In the beginning was Jesus and Jesus was with God and Jesus was God,” or “In the beginning
was the Son and the Son was with the Father…”[2]

But why, Kuschel asks, do readers leap from “word” to “Son”? The text simply reads, “In the
beginning was the word,” not “In the beginning was the Son.” The substitution of “Son” for
“word,” which for millions of readers appears to be an automatic reflex, has had dramatic
consequences. It has exercised a powerful, even mesmerizing influence on Bible readers. But the
text does not warrant the switch. Again, John wrote: “In the beginning was the word.” He did not
say, “In the beginning was the Son of God.” There is, in fact, no direct mention of the Son of God
until we come to verse 14, where “the word [not the Son] became flesh and dwelt among us, and
we beheld his glory, the glory of a unique Son, full of grace and truth.” Until verse 14 there is no
mention of a Son. The Son is what the word became, but what is the word?

The application to our problem in
John 1:1 is simply this: The fact that the word became the man Jesus, the Son of God, does not
necessarily or automatically imply that Jesus, the Son of God is one-to-one equivalent to the
word before Jesus’ birth. What if the word, the self-expression of God, became embodied in, was
manifested in, the man Jesus? That makes very good sense of John 1:14. It also avoids the
fearful, never-resolved complexities of Trinitarianism by which there are two or three who are
fully and equally God. If our theory is right, John will have been speaking about a preexisting
divine Purpose, not a second divine person.
It is commonly known to Bible readers that in Proverbs 8 wisdom was “with [Hebrew, etzel;
LXX, para] God.” That is to say, God’s wisdom is personified. It is treated as if it were a person,
not that Lady Wisdom was really a female personage alongside God. We accept this sort of
language, usually without any confusion. We do not suppose that Prudence, who is said to be
dwelling with Wisdom (Prov. 8:12), was herself literally a person. When the famous St. Louis
Arch was finally completed after several years of construction a documentary film announced
that “the plan had become flesh.” The plan, in other words, was now in physical form. But the
arch is not one-to-one equivalent with the plans on the drawing board. The arch is made of
concrete; the plans were drawn on paper.

IS ‘WORD’ = A PERSON?
If one had a copy of an English Bible in any of
the eight English versions available prior to 1582, one would gain a very different sense from the
opening verses of John: “In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word
was God. All things came into being through it, and without it nothing was made that was made.”
“All things came into being through it [the word],” not “through him.” And so those English
versions did not rush to the conclusion, as does the King James Version of 1611 (influenced by
the Roman Catholic Rheims version, 1582) and its followers, that the word was a person, the
Son, before the birth of Jesus. If all things were made through “the word,” as an “it,” a quite
different meaning emerges. The “word” would not be a second person existing alongside God
the Father from eternity. The result: one of the main planks of traditional systems about members
in the Godhead would be removed.

CAPITAL ‘W’ IN ‘WORD’ ?
There is more to be said about that innocent sentence: “In the beginning was the word.” There is
no justification in the original Greek for placing a capital “W” on “word,” and thus inviting
readers to think of a person. That is an interpretation imposed on the text, added to what John
wrote. But was that what he intended? The question is, what would John and his readers
understand by “word”? Quite obviously there are echoes of Genesis 1:1ff here: “In the beginning
God created the heavens and the earth…and God said [using His word], ‘Let there be light.’ ”
“God said” means “God uttered His word,” the medium of His creative activity, His powerful
utterance. Psalm 33:6 had provided commentary on Genesis: “By the word of the Lord the
heavens were made.” And so in John 1:1 God expressed His intention, His word, His selfrevealing,
creative utterance. But absolutely nothing in the text, apart from the intrusive capital
letter on “word” in our versions, turning word into a proper noun, would make us think that God
was in company with another person or Son.

…The standard meaning of “word” is utterance, promise, command, etc. It never
meant a personal being — never “the Son of God.” Never did it mean a spokesman. Rather, word
generally signified the index of the mind — an expression, a word. There is a wide range of
meanings for “word” according to a standard source. “Person,” however, is not among these
meanings.

WITH?
…But in the wisdom literature of the Bible a “word” certainly can be “with” a person. And the
meaning is that a plan or purpose — a word — is kept in one’s heart ready for execution. For
example Job says to God (10:13): “Yet these things you have concealed in your heart; I know
that this is with you.” The NASV gives a more intelligible sense in English by reading, “ I know
that this is within you.” The NIV reads “in your mind.” But the Hebrew literally reads “with
you.” Again in Job 23:13, 14 it is said of God, “What his soul desires, that he does, for he
performs what is appointed for me, and many such decrees are with him,” meaning, of course,
that God’s plans are stored up in His mind. God’s word is His intention, held in His heart as
plans to be carried out in the world He has created. Sometimes what God has “with Him” is the
decree He has planned. With this we may compare similar thoughts: “This is the portion of a
wicked man with God and the inheritance which tyrants receive from Him” (Job 27:13). “I will
instruct you in the power of God; what is with the Almighty I will not conceal” (Job 27:11).

A CONCLUSION

John 1:1, 14 — The Wisdom and Word of
God Expressed
We propose that John’s meaning is as follows:
In the beginning there was a divine word and it was stored in God’s heart and was his own
creative self-expression. All things came into being through that divine word and without it
nothing was made that was made…And the word/plan became flesh — was realized in a human
person and dwelt among us.
That living expression of God’s intimate purpose for mankind was Jesus Christ, the human
person supernaturally conceived as the Son of God. Jesus is thus the expression, as Paul said, of
the wisdom of God, “that hidden wisdom which God ordained before the world to our glory” (1
Cor. 2:7). Jesus thought of his own activity as the expression of wisdom, with which he equates
himself: “I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes…” (Matt. 23:34). The same saying
is reported by Luke: “For this reason the wisdom of God said, ‘I will send them prophets and
Apostles…’” (Luke 11:49). Jesus is indeed the expression of “the power of God and the wisdom
of God” (1 Cor. 2:24).
This understanding of John 1 reflects exactly the Jewish background to the New Testament. At
Qumran (the Dead Sea Scrolls), Jews wrote, “By God’s knowledge everything has been brought
into being. And everything that is God established by His purpose, and apart from Him nothing is
done” (1 QS XI.11). Jews and the Jewish Christian, John, equated knowledge, wisdom and word,
meaning God’s grand scheme for the universe and the salvation of mankind. Professor C.B. Caird
of Oxford University wrote, “The Jews had believed only in the preexistence of a personification.
Wisdom was a personification, either of a divine attribute, or of a divine purpose, but never a
person. Neither the fourth Gospel nor Hebrews speaks of the eternal Word or Wisdom of God in
terms which compel us to regard it as a person.” God’s plan and intention was realized in the
human being Jesus who was supernaturally begotten, coming into existence as the Son of God."

The whole enchilada: http://www.christianmonotheism.com/media/text/John11CaveatLector.pdf

2 Likes

Who is this one whom the writer of Revelation saw in his vision? Why does the writer state that His name is “The Word of God” if “The Word of God” is only an impersonal “it”?

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. (Revelation 19:11-13)