The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Golden Rule in Eight Religions

Go to the following link to see how the Golden Rule is expressed in 8 religions:

theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4979

It’s such a basic truth – you can know if a thing is good or evil based on how you would feel if it were done to you.

Sonia

I think it was CS Lewis who pointed out that it is one thing to say ‘don’t do to anyone else what you would not want them to do to you’ and the genuinely moral advance to say “Do for others what you would like them to do for you”.

A huge difference indeed between the two sayings.

True, Dave, the positive “do” is asking more of us than just the “don’t do.”

A couple of those were pretty close:

Islam: No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself. (Sunnah)
Taoism: Regard your neighbor’s gain as your gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.(Tai Shang Kan Yin P’ien)

The Islam one only applies to a “brother,” which may exempt those of other religions. I’m not sure how they apply that.

And I wonder if a Taoist would say, “Who is my neighbor?”

Sonia

There’s probably a similar saying in Bahaism, although you need to search Google or Bing for it.

Both the positive and negative ways to express this rule are valid and important. At some level, due to differences of likes and dislikes, this rule isn’t quite absolute - think, for example of a masochist applying this rule. I think what this shows is that God is definitely our creator and has written his law in our hearts and the division and strife are caused by us, not Him.

Yeh, Gabe, the rule is general. One can always find exceptions. One person told me that he likes other people to offer him a cigarette. So should he offer a non-smoker a cigarette?

Good point, Gabe & Don. I heard a preacher once say that what Jesus perhaps meant was, “Treat others in the way they’d like to be treated.” Of course, some folks would like to be treated in ways that would end up being very bad for them (children, for instance? :laughing: ) and others would like to be treated in ways that would also be bad for other people. So, that doesn’t seem to be the perfect way to put it. In the end, I think Jesus put it at least as well as anyone, and we do know what He meant, I think, – for the most part.

MORE GOLDEN RULE

BAHA’I:
“O son of man! If thine eyes be turned towards mercy, forsake the things that profit thee and cleave unto that which will profit mankind. And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour that which thou choosest for thyself.”
(Baha’u’llah, The third Leaf of the Most Exalted Paradise, Tablets, p. 64)

“Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself.”
(Baha’u’llah, Tablets, p. 71)

“Lay not on any soul a load which ye would not wish to be laid on you, and desire not for any one the things ye would not desire for yourselves.”
(Baha’u’llah, Gleanings LXVI, p. 128)

“Ascribe not to any soul that which thou wouldst not have ascribed to thee, and say not that which thou doest not. This is my command unto thee, do thou observe it.”
(Baha’u’llah, The Hidden Words, Arabic # 29)

“Choose for thy neighbor that which thou choosest for thyself.”
(Baha’u’llah, Epistle to the Son of the Wolf, p. 30)

JANIST:
“A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated.”
(Sutrakritanga 1.11.33)

NATIVE AMERICAN:
“Love your friend and never desert him. If you see him surrounded by the enemy do not run away; go to him, and if you cannot save him, be killed together and let your bones lie side by side.”

(Sur-AR-Ale-Shar, The Lessons of the Lone Chief)
“Do not kill or injure your neighbor, for it is not him that you injure, you injure yourself. But do good to him, therefore add to his days of happiness as you add to your own. Do not wrong or hate your neighbor, for it is not him that you wrong, you wrong yourself. But love him, for The Great Spirit (Moneto) loves him also as he loves you.”
(Shawnee)

AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION:
“A SAGE is ingenuous and leads his life after comprehending the parity of the killed and the killer. THEREFORE, neither does he cause violence to others nor does he make others do so.”
(Yoruba Proverb, Nigeria)

“One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts.”
(Yoruba Proverb, Nigeria)

WESTERN SCHOOLS:
“What you wish your neighbors to be to you, such be also to them.”
(Pythagorean)

“We should conduct ourselves toward others as we would have them act toward us.”
(Aristotle, from Plato and Socrates)

“Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing.”
(Thales)

“Do not to your neighbor what you would take ill from him.”
(Pittacus)

“Cherish reciprocal benevolence, which will make you as anxious for another’s welfare as your own”
(Aristippus of Cyrene).

“Act toward others as you desire them to act toward you”
(Isocrates)

yepper Don thanks for you have put forth the other beliefs… Though Israel was what the bible is about. :smiley:

Thanks.