The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Limitations and Primary Purpose of Theology

There was a time when I thought I knew everything there was to know about the person, nature and character of God. I had read creeds and confessions, accepting or denying them depending on the particular theological viewpoint of the church I had aligned with. Systematic theology seemed to make a lot of sense. That was then, now I am almost back to the beginning – except that I know Jesus to be my Lord and Saviour. That knowledge is far and away the most important truth that can be known and experienced by anybody. It is such a simple truth that it can be understood by a young child. “Of such is the kingdom of heaven”.

The book of Job may be the oldest scripture we have been given. In Job 11:7-9 we read (TLB): “Do you know the mind and purposes of God? Will long searching make them known to you? Are you qualified to judge the Almighty? 8 He is as faultless as heaven is high—but who are you? His mind is fathomless—what can you know in comparison? 9 His Spirit is broader than the earth and wider than the sea.” That quotation speaks for itself.

My late wife loved to read A.W. Tozer. With typical insight, Tozer wrote the following: “Christian theology teaches that God in His essential nature is both inscrutable and ineffable. This by simple definition means that He is incapable of being searched into or understood, and that He cannot tell forth or utter what He is. This inability lies not in God but in the limitations of our creaturehood. “Why inquire after my name, for it is secret?” Only God knows God in any final meaning of the word know. “Even so the things of God knows no man, but the Spirit of God” (1 Cor. 2 11).”

In Romans 11:33, Paul stated: “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!” Dictionaries define “inscrutable” as something that is not readily investigated, interpreted, or understood”, in other words, it is mysterious.

Tozer also suggested that God is ineffable . Per dictionary definition, He is “too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words.” Paul writes about the ‘Mystery of God’: “My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Col. 2:2–3).

I am not suggesting that all attempts to explain or clarify what we read in the scriptures are a waste of time. Writing to Timothy, Paul exhorts: “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Tim 2:15). I love to engage in a discussion, even an argument, as eagerly as any others in this forum, pitching knowledge and wits against knowledge and wits, but to what purpose? To display my knowledge of scripture? To demonstrate my ability to argue? Not very commendable reasons! Far better that we be encouragers of others who are seeking to glorify God in their daily struggle of trying to live as Jesus commanded we should.

I don’t mind debating topics such as trinitarianism versus unitarianism from my limited perspective. Since I grew up under teaching that had adopted trinitarianism, I had always accepted that view as being the correct one. Quite honestly, I now couldn’t give a fig which, if either, is the right one. I feel the same way about other subjects, e.g. eschatology. So, what is it that I believe to be important?

In 1 Cor. 2 1-2, Paul wrote: “And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” Paul’s sole emphasis was on Jesus, primarily His saving work but also the directions Jesus gave for how His followers should live their lives. The other NT writers wrote along much the same themes. A major emphasis was on how we should demonstrate our love of Jesus by the way we treated others. In particular, how we love – the “more excellent way” as Paul called it in the same letter to the church in Corinth. John, especially, emphasised the command to love one another. Twice in his first letter, John states unequivocally that God is Love.

To conclude by paraphrasing 1 Tim. 4:8 “For intellectual debate profits a bit, love for and of Jesus is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.”

1 Like

This is a real interesting, Norm thank you for posting… I have been myself looking down that same road.

If you get some great revelation please pass it on.

I have a revelation. It is in the last line, below:
“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived”[b]—
the things God has prepared for those who love him—

10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit.

You seem to get perturbed pretty easily. I kind of like that. :wink:

Quoting scripture is getting perturbed? Whatever.
So v10 means nothing to you, o calm One?

You are perturbed, vs 10 and being reviled by God, is what it is to each of us.

I am disturbed of course lol, but not perturbed. Vs 10 answers the previous verses. The ones you wanted a revelation about? Oh never mind, Chad, you are in one of your moods. I’ll leave you alone.

Hey Dave, I was posting to Norm, I’m sure you can see that, I was asking him for specific ideas, if he had them. I was asking HIM for things that came down the road… Did not want this to turn into a peeing match about how God reviles things to us. And how the spirit works. Sorry for the calamity… Please forgive me…

No calamity. We all horn in on one another’s questions, right? I thought you were actually looking for an answer about a scripture, from the scripture, not an opinion. My bad…

So if I go back to Norms post and my response, and your response to me, taking all into focus, I’d like to hear your position about the spirit.

My post to Norm was I think positive and questioning. So let’s go from there. How can I help you?

Shall we let Norm respond first??

Cool, then we should talk about the Spirit a bit, if you are so inclined…

Dave and Chad: I never intended my written thoughts to cause any rift or misunderstanding. I sincerely love and respect you both. Yes, I believe the Lord revealed truths to me that I had not known before and I felt the need to share them. I don’t think I can elaborate much on what I wrote, except to say that I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders since the experience I had shortly before Alida died, also since I joined this forum and profited from the insights and experiences of folk like you two guys.

But, I do confess to being unsure exactly what it is I should respond to :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Norm you had nothing to do with a ‘misunderstanding.’ There wasn’t one.

Sorry, Chad, I doubt that I will receive any revelation, great or otherwise, that will reveal much more than what I previously wrote. I guess I was trying to make a couple of points.
In the first place, if God is indeed inscrutable and ineffable then why waste time trying to systematically define who He is and what and why He does what He does?
Secondly, God has revealed what we need to know about Him in the person of Jesus, His Son, whose words and deeds, particularly His sacrifice on the Cross, are crystal-clear to all who can read the gospel narratives and the apostolic letters to the early church.
Thirdly, our time would be better spent doing what Jesus instructed us to do rather than tilting at windmills, i.e. by obeying His two commandments - love God and love your neighbour as yourself. We can only do so with the help of the Holy Spirit, who is elsewhere defined as the Spirit of Jesus.

I’d better stop before I find myself getting back into a debate on theology!

amen

Thanks.:smiley:

It is problematic that folks on forums usually revert to the ‘slicing and dicing’ when it comes to topics and answers. I admit I can be guilty of it and I think we all are.

Sorry, Norm, Sorry Dave. I will try not to slice and dice so much in the future.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No need to apologise, Chad. I remain totally ignorant of what you term slicing and dicing (must be American English!):innocent:. I respect your candour.

Thanks Brother.