The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The mark of the beast and the seal of God in Rev.

Everyone

The acceptance or rejection of the message by the third angel in Rev 14:9-11 is a matter of life or death. You either have the seal of God or you do not. Those who reject the invitational message will receive the mark of the beast and receive the wrath of God by their own free will choice in Rev 14:10.

The good news is God will have people who are victorious and overcomers in this world who will receive, proclaim and obey the angels messages even under severe and adverse circumstances. In Rev 15:2-4 these scriptures teach that God will have people who will say “No” to the beast, will say “No” to the image, will say “No” to the mark of the beast, will say “No” to the number, they will stand up for what is right and righteous in the sight of God and be true to their Heavenly Father. That is why we read, “And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.” Since these people are standing on the sea of glass they were obviously victorious in the hour of trial and testing of their faith. Remnants from all nations will have decided to follow the messages of the three angels.

The central issue of the end times will be two-fold:

1. Who you will worship
  2. Who you obey

People will either obey God or obey the devil. Those are in the end the only two choices each one makes that will determine your eternal destiny.

We have two marks that are placed on or in the forehead. These are two contrasting signs. We have the seal of God and the mark of the beast. The people who are described that will receive the mark of the beast are in Rev 6:15-17 and Rev 13:16-18. Next we have a contrasting group in Rev 7:1-3 "1And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. 2And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

So, we here have in Revelation two contrasting views of the saved and the lost.

Reference: specialityinterest.net/threeangelmessages ( I’m not endorsing all doctrines of this website just the information listed here.)

Great analysis, but the lesson here isn’t to become such a noble soul that God finds you worthy of non-obliteration; it’s a lesson to illustrate how goodness vs badness works in our world. The whole point is exactly how both tough and serious redemption is, that it’s much deeper than we can imagine, since most of the population doesn’t or won’t even understand it or holiness or the love of God.

Those who have the mark of the beast will be destroyed so that they can be re-created and brought into the New Jerusalem. Everyone will be salted with fire, and all creation will be subjected to Him who created it.

Well, if Aaron37 can just repost up material he already posted, in answer to a comment, I guess I can, too. :slight_smile: Besides, this will help consolidate it topically.

As might be expected, I already covered the overcomers of Rev 15: 2-4 in some detail back in Part 4 of my detailed analysis of the final chapters of RevJohn.

The short answer is that if the kings of the earth and their followers (who have certainly taken the mark of the beast, and who are the targets in view in chp 16) are being shepherded by Christ even in their destruction (which is explicitly said in Rev 19), and are found in the final chapters going into the New Jerusalem where unrepentant sinners cannot go–not unless their names are written into the BoL (which is also explicitly said)–following the light of Christ; then obviously they do in fact eventually repent of their sins and go in. It just takes the lake of fire judgment to lead them to that point, and we aren’t at the lake of fire judgment yet in the revelation by this point.

So the real debate is actually about the final fate of the kings of the earth (also known in this chapter as the kings of the east), not about their lack of repentance here. This is only a revelation that they won’t repent before then: there will still be rebels gathering together under the ten kings of the earth for the war of the great Day of God the Almighty Who is about to be coming upon them like a brigand. (Preparations and foreshadowing for this are at Rev 16:12-16; but it doesn’t finally happen until Christ arrives to shepherd them with the rod of iron at Rev 19:11-21. Several other foreshadowings for it, too, in surrounding verses and chapters, for example Rev 14:14-20.)

Most importantly, though, while John is overlapping what’s going on with foreshadowings of what will be happening later, he also takes a moment at the very start of the sign of the seven plagues of the bowls of wrath (which are the last because in them the wrath of God is finished, Rev 15:1) to foretell what the end result of this is going to be.

The end result of the finishing of the wrath of God (before the finishing of which no one will be able to enter the Temple, 15:8, but by connotation after which they will) is that those conquerors (a term used for those who repent of their sins and overcome them in Christ) who come out from the beast and out from his image and out from the number of his name, will be standing upon the glassy sea mixed with fire, holding the harps of God and singing the song of Moses the slave of God as well as the song of the Lambkin, praising God for His ways of justice and truth; and rejoicing that there will be no one who does not fear Him and glorify His name but that all the nations will come and worship before Him. (Probably a quote from Psalm 86, where David predicts that all the nations made by God will reject their false idols and come to worship Him some day–also rejoicing, among other things, that God has delivered his soul from Sheol.) The Song of Moses, meanwhile, is the prediction that after God totally destroys those who rebel against Him to the uttermost limit (rebel Israel being mainly but not solely in view), then they will acknowledge Him as Lord, and repent of their sins, and He will restore and vindicate them as His people (which they always were, though rebels).

After revealing the ending, God goes on to show John the terrors of the seven final bowls; where certainly the kings of the earth and their dedicated followers are not fearing God and giving Him glory, much less setting aside their idolatry and coming to worship Him. Not yet: Rev 15:2-4 shows they’ll come around eventually, and leave the beast, his image and his number–they’ll even leave the lake of fire, in a way (or rather it becomes the foundation holding them up: as the Holy Spirit should.)

Until then?–they’ll be tread in the winepress. Be we also know the fate of even those who are tread in the winepress: they eventually submit to Christ and are brought to the Father in the submission of the Son, so that God may be all in all (1 Cor 15:20-28.) Because true love never fails, never gives up hope, endures all things and keeps going. (1 Cor 13.)

(By providence, I happened to be listening to a boys choir sing “A Brand New Day” when I was writing about those coming out from the beast and from his number, standing upon the sea of fire and praising God for His salvation. Had to stop a moment to praise God in worship, too, for His triumphant salvation. :slight_smile: )

Even the Textus Receptus reads “out from” in those phrases, by the way. (Although Green tries to obscure the translation in both of his literal English reports.) It’s the same phrasing as (even the TR acknowledges) is used a few verses earlier when the angel is coming out from the Temple.

Rev 14:18: kai allos a(n)gelos exelthen ek tou thusiasteriou

and another angel went-out out-from the temple

Rev 15:2 kai tous nikontas ek tou theriou kai ek tes eikonos autou kai ek tou charagmatos autou ek tou arithmou tou onomatos autou

and the-ones overcoming out-from the beast and out-from the image of it and out-from the mark of it–out-from the number of the name of it

That by itself isn’t enough to solidly indicate that we’re looking at a flashforward showing what the end result will be, but the reference to the Song of Moses and Psalm 86 is contextually very important in accounting for the meaning here.

Again: chapter 15 starts off announcing a vision of the last seven angels and their seven bowls of wrath.

But before John looks to see one of the four living creatures giving them the bowls of wrath, he sees the vision of verses 2-4, where those who have come out from the beast and its idolatry and its mark are praising God that all people will fear the Lord and glorify His name, making reference along the way to the Song of Moses, at the end of which God utterly destroys the rebels against Him (until they are neither slave nor free), including rebel Israel–after which the rebels repent of their injustice and idolatry and God restores and vindicates them, leading all the earth, Jew and Gentile, to rejoice in the judgments of God. This is what those who are standing on the lake of fire having come out from the beast and out from its mark are praising God about.

After that, John sees the bowls being loaded up, and then (in chp 16 out through 18) dumped progressively on the kings of the earth and their minions, who do not repent and blaspheme God instead of praising Him loyally. (Thus the vision of 15:2-4, which treats all people as having repented and returning to the Lord already, must be about the future beyond the main narrative of the prophecy.)

The kings of the earth get shepherded by Christ Almighty and His rod of iron in chapter 19, destroyed down to having their bodies scattered for birds–but they’re still being shepherded by Christ. (The imagery actually mirrors that of the end of Psalm 23, although English translations there inadvertently obscure this. In Hebrew, the word usually translated “follow” actually means “pursue to overthrow”, and is typically used in the OT to describe kings running down rebel armies to re-tribute them back under His rulership.)

Presumably the kings of the earth are thrown into the lake of fire after the resurrection of the good and the evil–although the text doesn’t actually say this. But just before the final chapter “kings of the earth” can be seen walking by the light of Christ and bringing the glory of the nations into the never-closed gates of Jerusalem (out of which the water of life flows for the salvation of those still outside), which they could not be entering unless their names had been written in the book of life.

Now, these facts are not really under dispute: they’re there for anyone to see who bothers to read the text and keep the connotations in mind (and could be extended in regard to the evangelical exhortation of the Spirit and the Bride to those outside the gates of the NJ at the very end of RevJohn.)

What is disputed is how this data is supposed to be fit together theologically.

And while it is possible to read in one or another scenario of hopelessness and failure of God’s evangel–which has been the typical interpretation throughout Christian history (where RevJohn was accepted as canonical at all)–it ought to be just as obvious that there is also a clear narrative line making perfectly good sense which is NOT hopeless but is ultimately and triumphantly hopeful for the salvation of sinners and the final victory of the gospel.

Jason

Because of the reference to the beast and his work which sets the context, these are clearly the martyred dead saints of the Tribulation.These tribulation saints are the same people in Rev 7:14. They are described as “those who had been victorious over the beast …” The word for victorious is nikaw and means “to be a victor, conquer, to prevail…Nikaw, however, is used here with the preposition ek three times, one for each of the areas of victory—the beast, his image, and his mark. Ek means “out of, from, away from.” It is used to introduce the person, place, or thing from which a separation takes place. Here, nikaw carries the idea of deliverance. Because of their victory in Christ, they were delivered from the beast, from his image, and from his mark. The three-fold repetition emphasizes the element of victory and deliverance. These believers will find themselves living in the sphere of the beast’s power and under great pressure to worship him, his image, and to wear his mark even to the point of death for refusing to do so. By faith they will refuse and will come out victorious from it all. (JHK bible.org)

In a strict sense, these saints did not prevail “over” the Beast, for his downfall only comes with the return of Christ, when he will be cast into the lake of fire (19:11-21). These saints are victors literally “from” him (cf. 14:13). The Greek preposition ek is used three times in 15:2. The word means “out of, from, away from.” Therefore, a better rendering of 15:2 speaks of the saints being victorious “from the beast, from his image, and from the number of his name” (see the NASB side or center column reference). Paradoxical as it may seem, “Christian” victory is often achieved by apparent defeat. We overcome by losing. Those who overcome the Beast are not those who worship him, so as to live, but those who worship God, so as to die. Death is the way to life and to victory. Christ overcame the world by dying to it and so do we. In God’s kingdom it is those who would save their lives who lose them, and those who would lose their lives who save them (cf. Matt 10:38-39).

In 15:2, John also sees these victorious saints “holding harps of God.” Only four groups are mentioned as having harps in heaven: living creatures, elders (5:8), heavenly singers (14:2), and these tribulation saints. Harps were not given to all the martyred dead (cf. 7:9-17). The harps have a privileged position before God’s throne. They contribute greatly to the heavenly harmony of the chorus that the redeemed offer to God.

Reference: bible.org (Keith Krell) I do not endorse all this websites doctrines.

So what’s the evidence that it means those who had never taken the mark instead of those who had taken the mark yet recanted once their eyes were opened? They would be killed too, you know, and thus become martyrs for Christ. In fact the wording seems to better fit the interpretation that these had worshipped the beast but became victorious in getting away or coming out from him.

Stellar

These believers will find themselves living in the sphere of the beast’s power and under great pressure to worship him, his image, and to wear his mark even to the point of death for refusing to do so. By faith they will refuse and will come out victorious from it all. Reread the OP to see the difference between those who worship the beast and those who don’t. :wink:

Well, that’s good, because JKH and Keith are directly contradicting each other on a pretty crucial point to your rebuttal attempt! You noticed that, right? :wink:

So, which one do you prefer to go with there? Since they can’t both be correct. I’m going to guess you actually go with JKH on this, since Keith’s position requires a mere argument from silence. Although you’re pretty impressed by mere arguments from silence despite other evidence to the contrary, so you might be against JKH and in favor of Keith. Hard to say. (Or is it that it doesn’t matter to you that they can’t both be correct, so long as they’re contradicting each other against my position? Any stick is good enough etc.?)

Anyone else see where they’re contradicting each other? One or the other explanation could be plausible, but they cannot both be equally plausible.

Of course, I talked about the scenes from Rev 7 and Rev 15 both, with an extensive comparison to what’s going on in the final chapters of RevJohn, back when I wrote that extensive commentary on what’s going on in the final chapters of RevJohn. But you didn’t want to discuss those factors then. Apparently because I was the one who brought them up. No point discussing them when I do that; only when a non-universalist does it, hm?

Anyway, leaving aside (as an exercise for the reader) where they signally contradict each other: notably they actually agree with me almost everywhere, including what {ek} means. What they don’t comment on (at least in the brief paragraphs you quoted) is that their application of {ek} makes no sense when applied to the nearby comparative verse I mentioned. Remember what that was?

But meanwhile, a list of agreements between what I wrote and what JHK wrote:

• The group at Rev 15 are the same people as in Rev 7:14. (Although I would say they’re included in the much larger group from Rev 7. But the same principles apply either way.)
• The group at Rev 15 is described as “those who had been victorious over the beast…” (That’s one way to translate it, and J will be agreeing with the more particular way in a minute.)
• The word for victorious (incidentally, a plural noun “victors”, not the adjective “victorious”) is {nikao} and means “to be a victor, [to] conquer, to prevail”.
• {Nikao} is used with the preposition {ek} three times, one for each of the areas of victory–the beast, his image, and his mark. The three-fold reptition emphasizes the element of victory and deliverance. (I would say it emphasizes something else, too, but he probably wouldn’t disagree that it also emphasizes what they were delivered from. We would disagree on what it means to be delivered from that sin, I guess. :slight_smile: )
• Here, {nikao} carries the idea of deliverance. (I wouldn’t disagree, but as I noted the term is also used in RevJohn in regard to personal choices to reject sin.)
• Because of their victory in Christ, they were delivered from the beast, from his image and from his mark. (What we disagree on is what this means.)
• These people, who are certainly believers in this scene, will find themselves living in the sphere of the beast’s power and under great pressure to worship him, his image, and to wear his mark, even to the point of death for refusing to do so.
• They will come out victorious from it all. (Sooner or later.)

The only thing we disagree about is something that happens not to be mentioned anywhere in or near Rev 15: 2-4, namely that these people refused to take the mark of the beast and are the martyred dead saints of the Trib. JHK doesn’t mention the evidence that this vision is looking forward far beyond the rest of the material afterward in Rev 15; nor does he mention the relevant connection to the Song of Moses, or even the connection to what John reports them singing directly.

But I sure did! :smiley:

(To be fair, he might have mentioned them other than where you quoted. But if so, you should have quoted more to try to answer me.)

Agreements with Keith:

• The Beast’s downfall only comes with the return of Christ, when he will be cast into the lake of fire.
• Rather weirdly, Keith and I actually agree that they don’t prevail over the Beast before then! (But I can’t figure out from the couple of paragraphs you selected from him, why he would say that, if the crew at Rev 15 are supposed to be saints martyred for not taking the mark of the beast. This position makes total sense under my theory; it makes no sense to take this position under his, so far as I can tell. But neither do I think Keith’s total attempt would be hurt by correcting this to something more coherent with this rest of his theory.)
• These saints are literally victors “from” him. (I actually agree with that more “literally” than he does! :laughing: Where we don’t agree is that the Rev 15 saints are the same crew as back in most of Rev 14. More on that later.)
• {Ek} is used three times; means “out of, from, away from”. Therefore, a better rendering of 15:2 would be victorious “from the beast, from his image, and from the number of his name.” (Yes, he and I and the NASB center column are all on agreement on that!)
• Paradoxical as it may seem, “Christian” victory is often achieved by apparent defeat. We overcome by losing. (Not only do I agree, I’m taking that paradox farther than he does!)
• Those who overcome the Beast are not those who worship him, but those who worship God. (Similarly, those who overcome sin are not only those who never sin, but those who repent of their sins and… wait, that fits my concept better than his! It also much better fits the language and contexts of both Rev 15 and Rev 7. Including compared to Rev 14. More on that later, too.)
• Death is the way to life and to victory. (A good thing Christ shepherds the kings of the earth and their minions with the rod of iron then, isn’t it!? Wait, no, Keith doesn’t think being shepherded by Christ is the way to life and to victory, when it’s those people. Hm.)
• Christ overcame the world by dying to it, and so do we.
• In God’s kingdom it is those who would save their lives who lose them, and those who would lose their lives who save them.
• The saints of Rev 15 hold harps of God.
• Only four groups are mentioned as having harps in RevJohn.
(We disagree that the silence about harps in Rev 7 indicates harps are not given to all the martyred dead, although I can easily allow that that might be the case. We do however clearly agree that the group at Rev 15 is not the same group as Rev 14, although they’re on the same team! Which is weird because earlier it looks like Keith would at least include the Rev 14 group among Rev 15, insofar as the 144 thousand sealed would be very likely to largely overlap the martyrs who died early rather than take the mark of the beast. The difference is that I have an explicit reason in both texts to contrast the two groups, and you didn’t report one from him so far. :mrgreen: )
• The harps contribute greatly to the heavenly harmony of the chorus that the redeemed offer to God. (Although between us, I’m clearly the one more emphasizing the notion of harmony of the redeemed before God! I might agree that the harps represent a privileged position before God’s throne, too. Certainly not a problem for my position in the least!–or else Christ’s moral to the parable of the 100th sheep is all wrong.)

So actually, your two sources and I agree very extensively, A. The difference is that I gave detailed reasons for my position, whereas they’re kind of just asserting their positions. (But to be fair, a couple of paragraphs don’t give room for much detailed reasoning.)

Among that detailed reasoning, was a boatload of evidence that the group at Rev 7 and at Rev 15 (where Rev 15 is included in Rev 7) are presented as being former sinners and idolaters who have been redeemed and brought home to Christ. They’re presented quite a bit differently than the group at Rev 14, who though doubtless also redeemed sinners, have some special qualities. They haven’t polluted themselves with women but are celibate. They faithful to be following the Lambkin and are a firstfruit of the harvest to God and the Lambkin. In their mouth falsehood was not found. And they are flawless.

By the way, anyone who accepts RevJohn canonicity and yet wants to read “eonian” to always mean never-ceasing and always-ongoing, will have to confess that the evangel being brought to those who sit on the earth and to every nation and tribe and language and people is also always never ceasing and always ongoing: because it’s expressly called the “eonian evangel” in Rev 14:6! A Calvinist might be able to get away with allowing this, by reading the unrestricted scope of verse 6 as really meaning only a restricted scope. But the Arminian expressly has to claim that this evangel isn’t the kind of ongoing that they insist is true for some punishment from God, such as that of those who take the mark of the beast in verses 10-11, and/or at 14-20. Otherwise, they’d be universalists! Insert irony here. :mrgreen: Also of note is that the eonian evangel is delivered in this particular vision as so: “Be ye afraid of God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judging has come; and worship the Maker of the heaven and the earth and the sea and the springs of water!” So the point of the judging is, in fact, to lead people to repentance. Does it work? The foretelling vision of 15:2-4 would indicate, by context, yes it does eventually succeed. But first, the events of the main narrative of the vision will take place.

At any rate, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander here. If eonian is to be read as an adjective meaning ‘from the heart of God’ (or something like that), and not as merely meaning ongoing continuance (which eonian life certainly does not merely mean!), then the argument against universalism from appeal to that term and its application falls to ruin. But if eonian is only or primarily supposed to mean a never-ending continuation, then Arminians at least ought to be technical universalists on the testimony of the EONIAN EVANGEL of RevJohn! Which certainly fits the interpretation of the final chapters, too, as continuing the evangel past the point of the lake of fire judgment.

But, couldn’t the group at Rev 14 be just the same group as at Rev 15?–the 144K sealed who never took the mark of the beast?

While the Rev 14 group might be tacitly included in the Rev 15 group (other things being equal–which I have argued extensively elsewhere they are not), they cannot be simply the same group. Because the Rev 14 group sings a song that no one is able to learn except them (14:3); whereas in direct contrast the group at Rev 15 is singing the Song of Moses (which plenty of people, including Moses, were able to learn, and can still learn if they look up Deut 32!) and also a related song which John learned and (at least partially) reported in his Revelation! (15:3-4) That goes for the vastly huge group (which no human could count) singing back at Rev 7, too.

As for correspondences between Rev 7, Rev 15 and the final chapters, it would be tedious to repeat what I’ve already written extensively on. So go read that instead. :slight_smile:

From another thread (entitteled “God, who lives to the ages of ages.”)

I haven’t seen any good answers to this.

Is the phrase he’s speaking of the same phrase translated “forever and ever” in Rev. 14:11?

If it is, and it doesn’t mean endless duration, how can it be used of God’s life the way it is?