The Evangelical Universalist Forum

THE MOST IMPORTANT UR ARGUMENT - IMHO

Hi Rodger,

The main problem that people like A37 are going to have is that they are too biased by their current beliefs to give any credit to articles like these. They say “aionios” can mean “eternal” and they are content to seek no further.

There are meanings here which I do not believe I fully understand, but I am coming to think that “aionios” is not talking about length of duration. To know God is eternal life.

To know God is life eonian (age during)

While the elect are enjoying life eonian, the non-elect will experience kolasis eonian.
See what the Greek scholars say about it.
tentmaker.org/books/asw/Chapter11.html

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46
“The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God’s punishment is always for man’s cure.”

Believers do receive aionion life. But if this is all that God promised, there would be no assurance of life beyond the eons. However, at the end of the eons God abolishes death from His universe (I Cor. 15:26). This is accomplished by imparting the resurrection life of Christ to all who have not previously received it. Aionion life assures one of life up to that point. Beyond that, death is impossible. Furthermore believers are made immortal when the Lord returns (I Cor. 15:50-57). When one has been made immortal, death is impossible.

To argue that “eternal” punishment must be of unending duration because it is contrasted with “eternal” life (Mt 25:46) misses the point. It fails to recognize that “eternal” life is a quality of relationship with God (Jn. 17:3) and is an end in itself, while “eternal” punishment is God’s corrective discipline and a means to an end. It is the result of the punishment (kolasis aionion) that is “eternal,” not the punishment itself.

Because of the “eonian” nature of God’s revelation, culminating with the consummation of the ages in 1Corinthians 15, we can see that “eonian life” leads into “eternity” at the end of the ages. Therefore there is no real threat to “eternal life,” even though punishment/correction is not eternal, but only for an age.

There are a number of Greek words that imply eternal but aionios is not one of them.
They are usually translated “indestructible,” “imperishable,” “unfading,” “immortality,” and “incorruptible.” Ro. 1:23; 2:7; 1Cor. 9:25; 15:42, 51-54; He. 7:15,16; 1Pe. 1:3,4; 5:4; 1Ti. 1:17; 6:16; 2Ti. 1:10.

Our hope of immortality does not reside in the word aionios, but in God’s very nature (unfailing love and unlimited power) and promises.
CHART OF GOD’S PLAN FOR THE AGES
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
saviourofall.org/Tracts/Eons2.html

God’s purposes are not completed in this current age, but worked out in successive ages. (Eph. 2:7) The message of God’s saving work through Christ is glorious, and it is not limited to this lifetime as the “orthodox” church would have us believe. It is not in God’s plan “to save as many as He can before this life ends” only to throw the rest of His precious creation in the dumper for all eternity. Jesus did not pray for the world, but for those whom the Father gave Him (the disciples). (John 17) Those who are Calvinists will twist this prayer of Jesus to say that God only has intentions to save the elect, while the rest are reserved for never-ending punishment, but they make the same critical mistake that most of Christendom does in that they do not see that God’s purposes for mankind do not end with this life.
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
saviourofall.org/Tracts/Eons2.html

Everything will be accomplished in GOD’S TIME, not ours. God’s purpose in this age is to bring a people to Himself (elect) in order to reach the non-elect in the ages to come. He is calling US in order to show forth His kindness to OTHERS in the ages to come. Once you see this truth, you will then understand why most people will never come to Christ in this age. This does not mean God has forsaken the many and given them up to suffer never-ending punishments. The mercy, love, and compassion of our God will never fail and the Good Shepherd will keep on seeking and saving until each and every last sheep (good and bad) is brought into the fold.

The following link is a great exposition on what the Bible teaches about this subject.

God, All in All!
tentmaker.org/articles/savio … in-all.htm

Rodger.

Again, John W Hanson is not the final authority when it comes to Greek translation. I can go find 20 greek scholars who would refute Mr. Hanson, but I’m not going to waste my time. Any greek scholar will tell you that aionios can be translated “everlasting” in the strongest form of the word… Most UR’s believe in a aionion time in hell…(whatever that means, it varies to what flavor of UR you are) some say 1000 yrs, 2000 yrs, I believe it means eternal imprisonment.

“Any” Greek scholar? Can you prove that?

And here are 20 Greek scholars who refute your twenty Greek scholars.

MY GREEK SCHOLARS – Louis Abbott and the many Greek scholars he quotes in chapters 3 and 12.
Copy and paste into Google
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS or click on
tentmaker.org/books/asw/index.html

The argument about “eternal hell” nearly always ends with the words, “My Greek scholars are more reliable than your Greek scholars,” and the result is nearly always a stalemate.

If you think it glorifies God more to let some of His creatures suffer forever, then you keep believing that.

But if you think it glorifies God more to eventually meet everyone on the level of their greatest and deepest need which is a change in their stubborn will, then know that there is plenty of evidence in the Bible that that is exactly what God is like.

Rodger & Sonia.

Here is a copy and pasted commentary of Matt Slick of CARM. I do not support everything Matt Slick says, but I believe this commentary is right on. This truth is true whether you believe it or not.

A look at the word “aionion”
Universalism is the teaching that God will ultimately bring all people, in all times, and all places to a state of reconciliation with Him. In other words, everyone who ever lived will be saved. Consequently, universalism cannot allow the possibility of an eternal hell as a realistic biblical teaching.

To get around the problem of the English Bibles translating Greek words into “eternal,” “forever,” and forevermore" when describing fire (Matt. 18:8) or torment (Rev. 20:10), the universalists go to the Greek. The Greek word that is translated into eternal is “aionion.” It comes from the Greek root “aion” meaning “age.” This fact combined with the various uses of Greek words derived from the root “aion,” are what the universalists use to attempt to show that “aionion” does not always mean “eternal” but can refer to a finite period of time.

The truth is, they are right. It can be translated into a temporal sense as it is in Rom. 16:25: “Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages (aionios1) past.” But the reason it is translated that way is because of context, and that is extremely important. Context determines meaning, as you will see later.

With the claim that “aionion” can be translated into something temporal and that its root means “age,” the universalist then says that any reference to “eternal fire,” “eternal torment,” or “eternal punishment” is not really eternal. Instead of “eternal torment,” it is “aionion torment.” Instead of “eternal punishment,” it is “aionion punishment.” That way, to the universalist, there is no eternal hell, no eternal punishment, and no eternal damnation. Everyone will be saved.

This approach by the Universalists can be confusing to someone who doesn’t understand Greek, and that is part of the reason that Universalism has followers. It is true that the root “aion” means age. But just because a root means age does not mean that every word derived from that root means a limited duration of time. For example, consider this verse that is speaking about God:

who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen, (1 Tim. 6:16)

The context is obviously dealing with God’s eternal nature. The word in Greek for “immortality” is “athanatos.” The Greek word for death is “thanatos.” The “a” in front of the word is the negator – without, non, etc. It means that God is deathless; hence, immortal. This is an eternal quality of God. Likewise, the verse states that God has eternal dominion. The word for “eternal” is “aionios” which is derived from the Greek root “aion” which means age. But, God is not immortal for only an “age,” nor is His dominion temporal. The word “eternal” is absolutely the best way to translate the Greek “aionion” because God is immortal and eternal. Therefore, it would be wrong to translate the verse by stating that God has “aionion” dominion. Rather, He has eternal dominion.

How is “aionion” used in the New Testament?
The following two sections are verses that contain the word “aionion” which is translated as “eternal.” Notice how using the word “eternal” in the first group is no problem. But, it is the second group with which the Universalists object. Nevertheless, the same word is used in both. See for yourself.

1.John 6:47, “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal (aionion) life.
2.John 20:28, “and I give eternal (aionion) life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand.”
3.Acts 13:48, “And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal (aionion) life believed.”
4.Romans 2:7, " to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal (aionion) life.”
5.Romans 5:21, “that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal (aionion) life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
6.Rom. 16:26, " but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal (aionion) God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith."
7.Gal. 6:8, “For the one who sows to his own flesh shall from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit shall from the Spirit reap eternal (aionion) life.”
8.1 Tim. 6:16, “who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal (aionion) dominion! Amen.”
9.1 John 1:2, “and the life was manifested, and we have seen and bear witness and proclaim to you the eternal (aionion) life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us”
10.1 John 5:11, “And the witness is this, that God has given us eternal (aionion) life, and this life is in His Son.”

The following set of scriptures divulge the nature of eternal damnation.

1.Matt. 18:8, "And if your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the eternal (aionion) fire.
2.Matt. 25:41, “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal (aionion) fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;”
3.Matt. 25:46, “And these will go away into eternal (aionion) punishment, but the righteous into eternal (aionion) life.”
4.Mark 3:29, “but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal (aionion) sin.”
5.Mark 10:30, "but that he shall receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal (aionion) life.
6.Luke 18:30, “who shall not receive many times as much at this time and in the age to come, eternal (aionion) life.”
7.2 Thess. 1:9, “And these will pay the penalty of eternal (aionion) destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,”
8.Jude 7, “Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example, in undergoing the punishment of eternal (aionion) fire.”

It should be quite obvious that there is an eternal punishment and that universalism is nothing more than a hopeful wish. The Universalists are not justified in picking and choosing the meaning of a word based upon their interpretations of “aion” that suits them and depending on which verse is used.

All of Matt Slick’s above arguments, and more, have been refuted in the following links.
Unfortunately, Matt will not allow any of the contents of these links to be posted in his CARM forum.

tentmaker.org/articles/matt_ … etalk.html
saviourofall.org/opposers/Exposing.html
scaredofhell.com/CARMmattslickun … uttal.html
indefenceofthecross.blogspot.com … alism.html
city-data.com/forum/christia … slick.html

Rodger.

lol. Let me ask you this. What flavor of UR do you support?

That sooner or later, because of what Christ accomplished by His death and resurrection, through the power in the blood of His cross, all fallen creatures everywhere will be saved from everything from which they need to be saved INCLUDING THEIR STUBBRN WILLS.

A fifteen chapter great introductory series to ultimate reconciliation.
J. Preston Eby does a thorough job covering many aspects of the topic.
Fundamental reading for any person interested in studying universalism from a solid biblical perspective.
Highly Recommended!
godfire.net/eby/saviour_of_the_world.html

Rodger.

Do you believe the unrighteous will spend an aionion in hell and miraculously come to faith in Jesus or do you deny the existence of hell altogether?

POSTED LATER

Rodger.

Again, hell was created for the Devil and All who willingly follow him there. Man was never attended to go there, but God gives man the choice to choose Life or Death.

And again, any “hell” that anyone will experience the Bible calls “kolasis aionion,” (Matthew 25:46) which means age-during corrective chastisement.

“He (God) that chastiseth the heathen, shall not He correct?
Blessed is the man whom Thou chasteneth, O Lord.” (Psalm 94:10,12)

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46
“The Greek word for punishment is kolasis, which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. There is **no instance **in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God’s punishment is always for man’s cure.”

See what other Greek scholars say about it.
tentmaker.org/books/asw/Chapter11.html

It is limited in duration, and corrective in purpose.
tentmaker.org/books/Aion_lim.html
savior-of-all.com/aionian.htmlrodgertutt

Don’t you have an original thought about this then? Or is your Holy Spirit guide on vacation or something at the moment? :smiling_imp:

Hey, be fair- the other guy is cut-and-pasting far more than Aaron is!
Both need to discuss one issue at a time, IMO!

I agree - but that’s not the point - Aaron37 has complained vociferously elsewhere that copying and pasting other people’s writings is valueless and said repeatedly that only one’s own Holy Spirit guided thoughts count for anything in a debate.

Jeff.

Jesus bore your sin, sickness, and poverty on His body and was raised on the 3rd day to give you victory over sin and spiritual death. Will you not believe and receive this gift of eternal salvation? God bless.

Someone pick just one point and let’s roll with it- I feel that we are on the outside of the issues, looking in!

Aaron, do you know of anyone on this forum who hasn’t done that?
I don’t.
But then I haven’t been here as long as you have.

Here’s one point.
Lets roll. :slight_smile:

Yes, the salvation is “eternal,” but not because of the word aionios.
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
tentmaker.org/books/asw/index.html
ESPECIALLY SEE WHAT THE MANY GREEK SCHOLARS SAY IN CHAPTERS THREE AND TWELVE

So I guess we are back to my twenty scholars versus your twenty scholars eh?
That’s where this debate almost always gets bogged down.

By the way, you never did list your twenty scholars. Why is that?

I guess that you have to look at the arguments that each scholar makes about the verses in question. Gotta use reason in the end, though it helps to have scholars (if there were zero scholars on your side, that would be tough!)