The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The New Wine System

I found an intriguing article form a website espouses what is called the New Wine System. It purports to solve many problems on the forefront of many debates: Calvinism vs Arminianism, Lordship Salvation vs Free Grace Theology, some differences between Catholic and Protestant theology, Amilleniallism vs Premillenialism, and other soteriological issues. The main basis is the use of Old Testament Jewish escatology to show that salvation is a journey, rather a one-time decision.

While it is not exactly universal in scope, it states that all start out as saved (basing that everyone’s name initially appears in the Book of Life). It emphasizes that those who have never heard of Christ will be resurrected into the Millenial Kingdom in a second chance to accept the Gospel, as it goes into three distinct groups being dealt with:

“It can be easily argued that there are three types of people in New Testament Scripture. There are those who will inherit eternal life in the age to come. There are those who are wicked and will be condemned to punishment. They will not be resurrected when Christ returns. And then there are those who are in the middle, for whom eternity has not been decided. Now, if these conditions remain through death and the resurrection, then these three types of people are also present during the millennium. This is New Wine premillennialism.”

I haven’t read all the articles, and I’m sure there will be some problems with this approach, but it initially seems a much better system that most of what is being taught in traditional Christian circles, even though it is not completely universalist; the wicked who fully reject Godwill spend eternity in hell. However, I believe it to be a worthy concept to consider further study.

Has anyone heard of this before? What say you?

Hi Dondi
I received my copy of this book from Amazon recently and immediately read the first few chapters. However, I have only skimmed the remaining chapters since then as I had another project to complete at that time.

Your assessment is about the same as mine so far. It is not universalist, but more seem to get reconciled to God in the New Wine System than do in most other traditional views. It could easily be adjusted to be universalist by just fine-tuning the purpose of the lake of fire towards the end of the book, as I think the majority of the book would be suitable to most non-preterist universalists.

I’m not sure when I might get to finishing the book, but when I do I can add a bit more to this response to your question.

Blessings, Barry

Hi Barry, Welcome to the Forum and thanks for bringing this to my attention - I had overlooked Dondi’s original post. I have just downloaded the book and will read it with interest.

Thanks Barry and revdrew. I shall look forward to your further input.