The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The True Sabbath

Jesus Broke the Sabbath

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

Justin Martyr’s Explanation of the Sabbath to the Jews

(Justin was a Christian who lived from (A.D.110 – 165)

Righteous Men of Old Kept No Sabbaths

… all those righteous men already mentioned [Abel, Enoch, Noah,] though they kept no Sabbaths, were pleasing to God; and after them Abraham with all his descendants until Moses… Chapter 19

…For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now,…Chapter 23

Nature Does Not Observe Sabbath Days

Do you see that the elements are not idle, and keep no Sabbaths? Chapter 23

God Himself Does Not Observe the Sabbath Day

Think it not strange that we drink hot water on the Sabbaths, since God directs the government of the universe on this day equally as on all others… Chapter 29

The True Israelites Are Those Who Come to God Through Christ

For the true spiritual Israel, and descendants of Judah, Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham (who in uncircumcision was approved of and blessed by God on account of his faith, and called the father of many nations), are we who have been led to God through this crucified Christ, as shall be demonstrated while we proceed. Chapter 11 (near the end)

We Are Now Required To Keep Sabbath Daily By Resting From Sin and Working Righteousness

The new law requires you to keep perpetual sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are pious, not discerning why this has been commanded you: and if you eat unleavened bread, you say the will of God has been fulfilled. The Lord our God does not take pleasure in such observances: if there is any perjured person or a thief among you, let him cease to be so; if any adulterer, let him repent; then he has kept the sweet and true sabbaths of God. If any one has impure hands, let him wash and be pure. Chapter 12 (at the end)

1 Like

The quotes are from The “Dialogue with Trypho.”

Here is one translation of the full dialogue in English.

1 Like

Yes the Sabbath was a ritual law not a moral law & so even though it was part of the Ten Commandments it was ritual & ended.

I see no indication that the Hebrew Scripture writers recognized any distinction between ritual and moral laws. Breaking any of God’s Law was deemed as violating God’s morality and holiness, and thus violating the Sabbath was perceived as worthy of capital punishment.

I was referring to Jesus breaking the Sabbath law not Hebrew scripture writers. The fact he broke it tells you it was a ritual law.

Not me! I see no indication that Jesus or his Bible divided Mosaic Laws into moral ones and non-moral rituals. The morality of keeping the Sabbath was so expressly serious, falling short required death.

If OTOH, you essentially mean that you interpet Jesus’ flagrant violation of this top ten commandment as showing that it was actually not immorally unholy to work on the Sabbath, as the O.T. asserts about such Law that will never pass away, I agree with you.

Again you have one amazing talent I must concede, you are truly one of a kind when it comes to creating endless circles and never coming to an obvious conclusion.

The unitiated are forever amazed each time that someone does not baptize their own preferred spin.
Most students are never amazed and learn that other scholars often don’t share their own conclusions.

:+1:
The whole ‘ritual/ceremonial’ law as distinct from ‘moral’ law divide is nothing more than a creation of dispensational theology, and in fact does not exist other than where it permeates evangelical theology.

1 Like

Not true, nothing to do with Dispensation belief. Maybe Dispensations use it but it stands on it’s own.
There are 613 Mosaic laws & most are simply rituals to follow & if you reversed the rituals , like go left instead of go right or follow the Sabbath on Sunday instead of Sat , they are workable but a moral law you can’t reverse & have it workable.

I thought the 613 was etched in stone but you are right it’s the opinion of a third century Rabbi and then it was picked up but many do dispute the number.
Maybe a little like The Law of Christ , some think it’s 52 laws but this includes the beautitudes and other principals or sayings which might not be actual laws.

A reversal didn’t “work” for guys Bible law executed for making some provision on the 7th day.

No it didn’t but i was referring to the law per se not it’s victims.

Wasn’t it the Biblical Law per se that disallowed any ‘reversal,’ under penalty of death?

Yes the Sabbath being one of the 10 Commandments written by the finger of God was a lynchpin of the Old Covenant.

The Biblical scholars who killed Jesus certainly thought it was worthy of being kept.