The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Unspoken Sermons in Audio and Video Format

Hello All,

Just thought I’d inform you of a project I’m working on: I’m recording Unspoken Sermons. If you’re interested you can check out the Audio at youtube.com/user/GeorgeMacDonaldWorks. So far I’ve completed 19 of the 36 sermons. So far I’ve posted one per month and intend to continue at that pace.

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is “Freedom”. One beautiful aphorism from the sermon: ‘I and the Father are one,’ is the centre-truth of the Universe; and the circumfering truth is, ‘that they also may be one in us.’

Direct Links to ‘Freedom’ -
Audio: upload.librivox.org/share/upload … donald.mp3
Video: youtube.com/user/GeorgeMacDo … ACE5D2D327

In Christ,

David Baldwin

Oh, nice. I think Alex was talking to us about this. Also, I just quoted from the sermon “Freedom” in another thread last night. :mrgreen:

Unspoken Sermon for October: ‘The Hands of the Father’
Video: youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 3341EE35DE

YouTube has extended the allowable length for uploaded videos from 10 to 15 minutes. ‘The Hands of the Father’ is one of the shorter Unspoken Sermons and fits nicely within that 15 minute window. Thus, in this case, one sermon = one video! The next sermon on my list to record, however, is ‘Justice’, and as it’s the longest of the Unspoken Sermons, it most certainly will not fit within a single YouTube video!

Some great quotes from ‘The Hands of the Father’

Thanks for the update, David! :smiley:

November’s Unspoken Sermon is “Justice”. It’s the longest of the Unspoken Sermons, and perhaps the most frequently quoted as well as perhaps the most controversial. In the sermon MacDonald passionately rails against penal substitutionary atonement and, though somewhat coyly, offers his own view.

Video: youtube.com/view_play_list?p … A6318BCF05

Here are some links of a couple of blogs I found helpful in digesting “Justice”:
experimentaltheology.blogspot.co … l-and.html
formerfundy.blogspot.com/2010/08 … ution.html

David

“Justice” is also, for those who don’t know, one of MacD’s key texts in favor of universalism.

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is ‘Kingship’.

A key quote:
What then is the kingdom over which the Lord cares to reign, for he says he came into the world to be a king? I answer, A kingdom of kings, and no other. Where every man is a king, there and there only does the Lord care to reign, in the name of his father.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=IQHzXDlV1ks

God Bless,

David

I’m continuing to share from the “Speaking the Unspoken Sermon” project. January’s Unspoken Sermon is “Light”.

Video: youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 6B13728B14
Outlines and annotations of this and other Unspoken Sermons: georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html

There are so many lovely quotes one could lift from this sermon that it’s hard to select only a few! One so struck me that I considered it “wallet worthy”. That is, I printed it on a business card blank and now keep it in my wallet and have taped it on my monitor at work. It’s a bit lengthy but I’ve included this “wallet quote” for your consideration (and perhaps your edification) below. Additionally, I’ve attached an outlined and annotated rendition of the sermon in its entirety.

Of course to fit the above on a business card blank I had to pare it down a bit, loose the outline form, and use really small print!

David

That’s one of my favorite paragraphs, too! :slight_smile: (As was the quote from “Kingship” last month.)

Thanks for the update.

Video: youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 9A948307D2

February’s Unspoken Sermon is “Man’s Difficulty Concerning Prayer”. I think it one of MacDonald’s more poetic sermons.

Since it’s not evident in the title of the sermon, I’d like to draw your attention to the fact that much of the sermon is dedicated to defending the freedom of God; i.e., God’s not limited by his sovereignty – or as MacDonald puts it, “If we can change, God can change, else is he less free than we - his plans, I say, not principles, not ends: God himself forbid! - change them after divine fashion, above our fashions as the heavens are higher than the earth.”

Here are some other excerpts for your consideration:

In Christ,

David

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is ‘Righteousness’ in which MacDonald expounds on “the righteousness which is of God by faith”.

Video: youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 62FC361201
Outlined and Annotated Text: georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html

Some key quotes include:

In Christ,

David

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is ‘The Displeasure of Jesus’.
Video: youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 4DF0B2F1CA
Outlined and Annotated Text: georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html

As a child I would wonder at some of the things of Jesus said, thinking to myself ‘That sounds mean!’ In Sunday School I would hear about the kindness of Jesus but when I read the Bible I discovered that much of what he said seemed harsh. Even as an adult I sometimes think the same thing. I found this sermon by MacDonald helpful in reconciling this difficulty. One particular helpful quote is as follows:

Here are a few other key excerpts:

In Christ,

David

When I began to prepare for recording ‘The Temptation in the Wilderness’ at the first of May, it was my least favorite of the Unspoken Sermons. However, it grew on me through the course of the month. It’s really quite an imaginative interpretation of the Temptation and (as are each of the Unspoken Sermons) is chock-full of insight.

There are still aspects of ‘The Temptation in the Wilderness’ I struggle with, including:
-Refusing the story as a narrative and calling it a parable.
[list]-Being somewhat of a literalist, I really want to say it happened just as reported in Matthew and Luke although I must admit that the significant difference between the two accounts may justify a more parabolic interpretation. I guess I’d be more comfortable with stating that the tale is both a narrative and a parable.[/list:u]
-Basing almost his whole sermon on the perhaps the doubtful statement “He was not tempted with Evil but Good.”
[list]-The validity of the whole of MacDonald’s interpretation rests on this statement and, admittedly, he makes some pretty forceful arguments. But if the premise is wrong…
[/list:u]
As an aside, for a really powerful 1-2-punch regarding Christ’s Temptation, I recommend reading ‘The Temptation in the Wilderness’ and Dostoevsky’s Grand Inquisitor Scene in The Brothers Karamazov.

Audio – upload.librivox.org/share/upload … donald.mp3
Video - youtube.com/playlist?p=PLA8020C1BA13CEC8C
Annotated Outlines - georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html

In Christ,

David

Thanks David, the more of MacDonald’s work that is easily available the better :sunglasses:

Even if he isn’t (although he may be!) correct on everything, I know his motivation was to serve Christ, seeking truth in love. Anyway, it’s good to examine things we often take for granted, from different angles.

June’s Unspoken Sermon

‘The Eloi’ is similar to ‘The Voice of Job’ (which is in Unspoken Sermons Series II) in that it delves into Theodicy; i.e., defending the goodness and sovereignty of God in light of pain the world. I hope you find it helpful. I know I have.

Audio - upload.librivox.org/share/upload … donald.mp3
Video - youtube.com/playlist?list=PL581791458B27498A
Annotated Outlines - georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html (to be posted in a day or two)

I’ve also attached the annotated outline.

In Christ,

David
08 - The Eloi.pdf (633 KB)

This Month’s Unspoken Sermon is ‘Love Thy Neighbour’:
Video: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL59577ED861E34F91
PDF: georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html (To be uploaded in a day or two. Also I’ve attached the pdf to this post.)

Some great quotes from this month’s Unspoken Sermon

10 - Love Thy Neighbour.pdf (540 KB)

Thank you, David!

I think that’s my favorite of the list. That every man is a beloved brother – though it is not evident yet – this is one of the great truths that universalism reveals.

Hope you’re well,
Sonia

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is “Love Thine Enemy”.

Video: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB646454D88956182
Annotated Outlines - georgemacdonald.info/unspoken_sermons.html (to be posted in a day or two)

Quotes from “Love Thine Enemy”
*It is the humanity that originates the claim of neighbourhead; the neighbourhood only determines the occasion of its exercise."

…sneer[ing], [is] the most inhuman of human faults, far worse in its essence than mere murder.

If it were an animal only, and not a man or a woman that did us hurt, we should not hate: we should only kill.

…to embrace is the necessity of our deepest being.

Man is not made for justice from his fellow, but for love, which is greater than justice, and by including supersedes justice.

Let us claim for ourselves no more indulgence than we give to him. Such honesty will end in severity at home and clemency abroad. For we are accountable for the ill in ourselves, and have to kill it; for the good in our neighbour, and have to cherish it.

O brother, sister, across this weary fog, dim-lighted by the faint torches of our truth-seeking, I call to the divine in thee, which is mine, not to rebuke thee, not to rouse thee, not to say “Why hatest thou me?” but to say “I love thee; in God’s name I love thee.”

But in the working of the Divine Love upon the race, my enemy is doomed to cease to be my enemy, and to become my friend.*

In Christ,

David

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is “The God of the Living”.

Audio: forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?t=19640
Video: youtube.com/watch?v=tWJ2_OOpXWw

As this is the final sermon of Series I, I’d like to draw your attention to the closing words:

If you’ve ever wanted to encapsulate MacDonald’s beliefs in a nutshell, that pretty much does it! Here’s some other notable quotes from the sermon:

In Christ,

David

This month’s Unspoken Sermon is “The Last Farthing”.

Video: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3C5FA0B8C2432AC6

Quotes from “The Last Farthing”

In Christ,

David