The Evangelical Universalist Forum

"Unthinkable" - a recommendation now on Nflix

Thought I’d pass along a netflix movie recommendation. The film is titled “Unthinkable”, starring 2 Hollywood types whose politics don’t interest me - Samuel Jackson and Carrie-Ann Moss.

They both rise above stereotype and, with the rest of the cast, perform their craft at a very high level.

No spoilers here - I’ll only say that it is a well-crafted, political, human moral dilemma revolving around a captured terrorist, who made demands that had to be met within a couple of days, with the threat of 3 nukes hidden in major cities blowing simultaneously. 10 million +/- deaths projected.

Jackson is called in to extract the locations from the prisoner; Moss is forced to work with him but hampers his technique.

The question is, really: will America do what is necessary to stop terrorism, or will PC and misplaced morality allow terrorists to win?

It can be excruciating to watch, but not gratuitously so; the moral choice is drawn razor-sharp and kept in view at all times, without taking sides. There is a lot of torture, and it looks real, but it is not a gore-fest.

Would we do the ‘unthinkable’?

personally i dont support torment for any reason.

What is winning worth if,during the fight, you throw away all the virtues you are fighting for?

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

I’m not trying to sway anyone in either direction; but I will say that this film, more than others I have seen, draws the issue as tightly as can be done, without leaning in either direction.
I hope you watch it and report back if you get a chance.

ill try to check it out for sure. I gotta remember my netflix password first hahah. I really should write those things down.

Me too :frowning:

1 Like