The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What books are our members reading? Post updates freely! {g}

I have to be honest, I’m reading a Clive Cussler novel. Sorry.

1 Like

Eh, I’m reading (among other things), the 2nd edition of Paulides’ Missing 411: Hunters.

Not everything has to be theological. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds interesting…

1 Like

Here’s a link to an interesting podcast touching on some of the content in Rom 9 from the book Irrevocable mentioned earlier up the page…

Yep, interesting. They are ‘coming from’ a place I don’t yet fully understand; like ‘evolution’ and ‘spiral’ and ‘post-Christian’ (!!??) and ‘integral’ and that type of thing. I don’t have enough grasp of their frame of reference to really assess it as of yet.

Yeah those terms are not your regular evangelical jargon. They do have other podcasts on their site where they explain it all. It’s a grid used to demonstrate the ‘evolution’ of human consciousness, i.e., thought and behaviour, called ‘spiral dynamics’ aka ‘integral’ when applied theologically. ‘Post-Christian’ aka “spiritual but not religious” is an acknowledgment of the growing number of believers becoming unshackled from religion as traditionally practiced and yet maintaining and enhancing their faith — or as I say of my own experience… I lost my religion and kept my faith.

When you get a minute or two, why don’t you explain that a bit?

Well, long story short… I came to the realisation I didn’t need pew-warming to validate my faith concluding I could better use my time and energy.

1 Like

Wow! I had been waiting for Max King’s book on Romans 9 for a while. Eventually I figured it was never going to be completed/released (due to concerns about King’s age) and I forgot about it. Glad to see it available!

1 Like

Oh, life is bigger
It’s bigger than you and you are not me

The lengths that I will go to the distance in your eyes
Oh no, I’ve said too much, I set it up

[Pre-Chorus]
That’s me in the corner, that’s me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you and I don’t know if I can do it
Oh no, I’ve said too much, I haven’t said enough

[Chorus]
I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

[Verse 2]
Every whisper of every waking hour I’m choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you

Like a hurt, lost and blinded fool, fool
Oh no, I’ve said too much, I set it up

[Pre-Chorus]
Consider this, consider this, the hint of the century
Consider this the slip that brought me to my knees, failed
What if all these fantasies come flailing around?
Now I’ve said too much

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
But that was just a dream
That was just a dream

[Pre-Chorus]
That’s me in the corner, that’s me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you and I don’t know if I can do it
Oh no, I’ve said too much, I haven’t said enough

[Chorus]

[Outro]
But that was just a dream
Try, cry, why try?
That was just a dream, just a dream
Just a dream, dream

If you read about Michael Stripe it is an interesting view on leaving Christianity, learning.

1 Like

More Wrath More Reward — more from ‘Irrevocable’ — really interesting…

1 Like

From James Jordan, The Vindication of Jesus Christ. A freebie download from Kindle Unlimited. I’m enjoying it though I must say, Jordan seems to go out on some pretty long limbs in trying to interpret some passages.
OTOH this is a remarkable paragraph from Chapter 1:
"

Alas, a few pages later there is this remarkable - for the wrong reason IMO - paragraph

Jordan does write some really interesting stuff… he is of course a partial prêterist, where I once was, i.e., inconsistent; so I can appreciate where he’s coming from.

A tidbit from his commentary on Rev. 17:

Ok, finished that one - it’s very short. Some good food for thought.
Still cannot sleep, so downloaded another freebie by Jordan - 43 pages, basically a long essay.
From the intro: notice the phrase “next several thousand years”. !!!
Sorry about the large font - this is a picture file, not a Word file, so I can’t change the size.

Yep, this reflects Jordan’s postmillennialism… which long-term positivity was a key aspect of that view that grabbed me and led me to giving up my inherited amillennial stance — both somewhat similar with their interpretive genre, BUT poles apart when it came to future victorious expectations; with my former view being far more in-line with pessimistic down-in-the-mouth ‘this world is getting worse and worse and I’m just waiting for Jesus to come and rescue me out of here’ premillennialism.

Jesus didn’t come to start a new religion, but to finish an old one. Here’s a another really thought-provoking podcast on Romans 9—11 from ’Irrovocable’

I gave it a listen and yeah, it certainly is thought-provoking.

1 Like

I just reread this book:

Now I’m reading this book:

Both books have interesting perspectives on Christ (as well as Native American spirituality, in the first one).

This is thought-provoking also. From an essay on Charles Taylor’s The Secular Age:
sorry about the font