The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What books are our members reading? Post updates freely! {g}

I just finished reading “Erasing Hell” by Chan. A friend gave it to me saying, tongue in cheek, that after reading it I’d be a “flaming infernalist”. He’s a good friend who has moved to being a hopeful universalist (though he is leary of that title).

Erasing Hell is Chan’s response to Love Wins. Because of such his primary assertion is that God’s ways are higher than our ways so it’s no use trying to figure out a logical reason for Hell; rather, we only need to accept it in faith. God’s sense of justice and love might be very different than ours. So though Hell makes no logical sense, we need to trust that it is ultimately good and just.

Overall, to be blunt, Eransing Hell came across to me as being disingenuous and even double minded. Concerning being disingenuous for example, in the body he states that Origen was condemned as a Heretic mater-of-factly. I thought, well, he just stating that ignorantly. But in the notes at the end of the chapter he notes that one really can’t make much of that denunciation of Origen because the counsel that did so was so evidently politically motivated by the Roman Emperor. So he knew that the denunciation of Origen being a Heretic was not worth it’s weight in sand, but stated in the body text that Origen was denounced as a heretic as a point made to dismiss UR.

Also, his review of the evidence in support of UR was clearly dismissive and even leaving out the strongest passages imo in support of UR, Rom.5.18 and Jn.12.42. And the others he mentions he dismisses off-handedly. Of course I realize that he doesn’t want to dwell too much on those scriptures because doing so would weaken his position.

Chan relies heavily on Enoch to establish the concept that ECT was a common Jewish belief and that Jesus’ warnings concerning Hinnom Valley (gehenna) flowed out of Enoch. He mentioned Jeremiah and Isaiah, but did not expound on them. But of course, Jeremiah’s and Isaiah’s use of Hinnom Valley doesn’t affirm ECT. Chan also in passing mentions that Enoch also pictures annihilation. He doesn’t bring out that Enoch is apocalyptic literature and thus not necessarily, even likely, meant to be taken literally, but figuratively, not systematically, but artistically. Of course Chan also doesn’t even mention that aionios which is translated eternal can be understood as “age-to-come” or other.

Concerning double-mindedness, it also seems to me that Chan can’t seem to make his mind up between Calvinism and Arminianism, between the sovereignty of God and the autonomy of man. He also states several times that most Christians do not really live as if they believe in Hell, even himself. He struggles with seeing others as going to hell forever, and feels like he must cover for God’s lack of love for people. I believe that people live according to what they actually believe, not what they profess to believe. Thus he and most Christians do not actually believe in Hell; If they did they would live differently.

Chan also seems to often flirt with works based salvation, because, correctly so, he notes that the judgment passages speak of works as the basis for judgment, especially the flock and the kids (sheep and goats) Mt.25 passage; and he notes that these passages are intended to be warnings for believers. So for him on one side he recognizes that judgment is based on how we actually live, and on the other side affirms salvation is by grace and faith. His conclusion seems to be that believers who have received salvation by grace through faith can loose salvation by works, or the lack thereof. It’s really a convoluted system of beliefs he presents, a hybrid Calvinism/Arminianism and hybrid Faith/Works based salvation. At least, that’s the way the book came across to me.

Please don’t misunderstand me, it’s evident that Chan loves the Lord and is doing his best to be faithful to what he believes to be true. The book just came across to me as, well, weak though it’s about as good as any I’ve read written to affirm infernalism.

As I mentioned before, my friend said, tongue in cheek, after reading this book I’d be a flaming infernalist. To which I responded very seriously, “I hope you are right because I’d love to get out of this fire that I’m in. I’d love to get back to being an accepted part of the fellowships I love. I’d love to once again be respected by those who use to respect me until I came to believe that Jesus really is the savior of all.” Sadly though, “Erasing Hell” has only served to further Erase Hell further from my beliefs and convince me more than ever that God is good and loves all and will ultimately fulfill the good plan that He’s created us all for! Relationship with Him!

I’ve alse read recently the classic, Uncle Tom’s Cabin.

Wow, now I know why it’s a classic! It was a powerful presentation and had a very powerful message against slavery in America. I’d recommend it for everyone to read. For many years I’ve believed that the institution of slavery was bad for both the masters and the slaves. It is an evil institution that I’m glad is not part of our culture in the US today!

i’m a bit of a fiction nut and read far more of it than non-fiction :blush:
Harry Potter, though not high literature, is something i REALLY enjoyed. i’ve read and re-read them numerous times :blush:

however, to redeem myself slightly, i have thus far managed to boycott Twilight :smiley:

LOTR.
i found, the first time i read it, that i had to skip ahead of that birthday party at the start and get to the good stuff! thereafter, i personally loved the descriptions.
i must re-read it again soon.
i’ve not managed to conquer the Silmarillion yet though… :blush:

thanks for that review of EH by Chan, Sherman. interesting to hear a critique of it.
i think he shot himself in the foot at the outset with his mis-use of “My ways are not your ways…” etc.
he loves the Lord and that’s great, but maybe he’s not the theologian he thinks he is

Sherman,

Interesting review of EH; thanks! I would like you to post that in its own thread somewhere for discussion, too.

Jan Bonda’s ‘‘one purpose of GOD’’

and I’m thoroughly enjoying it as well , what a brave man coming from such a staunch ‘‘tradition’’ :smiley:

I was just thinking that myself!

I just finished At the End of the Ages, by Bob Evely (very good) & “All Shall Be Well” (also very good). Still reading Hope Beyond Hell & Raising Hell. Half way through reading What The Hell.

Alex once you done could you rate each of them, like on a scale of 1-10? I would love to see which ones you think best. In fact if you put them in the order you think they should be, from best to the “least best” :wink: that would be great. I want to suggest one to my dad, and maybe even some friends.

My dad’s more a pastors type. Not a super-philosophical person (how I became so wrapped up in it I haven’t a clue), but a man who loves the Scriptures. He won’t be convinced unless the word of God tells him otherwise.

Up until the stomach flu floored me back on Wednesday afternoon, I was finally getting around to reading The Resurrection of the Messiah by Christopher Bryan.

He’s a very moderately conservative scholar, by which I mean he doesn’t take any big steps out of well-traveled grounds of scholarly consensus (or near-consensus). He accepts the stereotypical dating scheme of the Synoptics and GosJohn, for example, without qualm or question and just proceeds from there. (To be fair, the reason that scheme has become stereotypical is because it is very easy for just about anyone to work with and not strain much in doing so. Also, just because he takes them for granted in the book doesn’t mean he hasn’t come to the same conclusions himself after study; he clearly has written a lot of historical analysis before this book.)

As I reported previously when mentioning his book, any Christian universalist will immediately see Christopher popping up major themes out of his exegesis. His interpretation of 1 Cor 15, when it gets to You Know Which Part :wink:, so obviously adds up to universal salvation from sin that he has to add an appendix confessing that he knows what his analyses point toward–and then stepping back from them in a fashion that contravenes his own logical priorities elsewhere. (I read the appendix first when checking the table of contents, naturally, and reported as much earlier in the thread. I’ll have to give a fuller report later in its own thread, if time and energy allow.)

Anyway, as a historical analyst for the resurrection narratives, CB is quite good so far–I’m up to finishing his endnotes on GosMark, which unfortunately the Kindle formatting for his book does not allow easy access (read chapter, go find endnotes, read endnotes, bookmark new chapter endnotes, go back read new chapter, finish chapter, find last endnote bookmark, read endnotes for new chapter, repeat, get stomach flu :mrgreen: ) – and I expect the quality to continue based on past performance.

I feel safe recommending the book as a Christmas gift for anyone (yourself or loved ones or both! :smiley: ) who enjoys resurrection apologetics (not that there aren’t a ton of those on the market already); and I might even recommend it as a way of introducing concepts of Christian universalism to someone who would rather see it integrated with important positions already commonly held if they’re going to give it any consideration at all. (Especially since CB safely backs off from it after all. In a self-refutational fashion. :mrgreen: ) I would probably recommend disclosing ahead of time that CB gets reaaaaallly close to EU before avoiding Christian universalism after all, even if you don’t explain how he does so.

I suppose you could also say I’ve been busy reading a monograph called “Is Jesus Never Called ‘The’ God In The New Testament?”–considering that I wrote it back on Thanksgiving weekend, and have been posting it up all week at the Cadre Journal. :laughing:

Fortunately, I set up most of it to autopost, right as I came down with stomach flu, so I haven’t had to fiddle with it a lot, except to run links back and forth whenever a new entry goes up.

Anyway, the finale goes up this morning here, which is a handy summary of the results (although not the preceding arguments), with links back to the posts with the relevant arguments.

I think I can say I bend over backward very far in qualifying the results in favor of opponents to ortho-trin, as much as possible. But I hear this sort of claim on occasion, including here on the board, and including recently (i.e. that Jesus is never called “the god” in the NT), so since I’m preparing a very much longer series at the Cadre on systematic theological exegesis (starting with the Gospels–which will parallel a series here at the EU forum on systematic soteriological exegetics), I decided to do a teaser mini-series on the topic first.

(Although as I joke in part 1: me being me, my ‘teaser’ is naturally seven lengthy parts. :wink: :laughing: :ugeek: )

Discussion of the monograph should be done in the Cadre Journal comments, of course, not here in this thread.

Currently reading ‘Snuff’ by Terry Pratchett - and mighty funny it is too!

You seem to have a lot of Terry Pratchett’s books, Jeff! ( I noticed when I was staying with you).

Yes I am a big fan of his writing.

Just started “The Nature of the Atonement: four views”. Greg Boyd writes the Chapter on Christus Victor. I already read that Chapter actually and found it insightful.

If anyone has any other books on the atonement to read Hollar back!

I have never studied the subject at great length, but to my defense I have been MIA with Christianity for the last 11 years :open_mouth: :laughing:

I quite enjoyed that book myself. I’m still working through atonement myself so I can’t offer much. But the classic historical work on CV atonement, Aulén’s ‘Christus Victor’, is splendid though it doesn’t explain that theory systematically (he argues that it can’t). I haven’t read it yet but the sermon ‘An enemy hath done this’) from Williams (1995) (in his book ‘A ray of darkness’) is also supposed to contain some interesting patristic (and CV) perspectives on the atonement. I have yet to finish it off, but Baker and Green’s (2011) ‘Recovering the scandal of the cross’ has so far been very interesting. They argue for a kaleidoscopic-atonement.

Not sure whether it’s entirely helpful recommending books I haven’t read, but Ray’s (1998) ‘Atonement, abuse, and ransom’ is supposed to be a unique and progressive presentation of CV. And Weaver’s (2011) ‘The Nonviolent Atonement’ is, I think, considered the definitive CV work.

Thanks Brothers.

I’ll take note of those books once i finish this one.

Hopefully they are avail through kindle.

I’m still plugging along through Christopher Bryan’s book on Christ’s resurrection, but for a somewhat different taste I’ve been flipping over to two (sometimes rather significantly different) translations of The Heliand, which is one of only two surviving examples of written Old Saxon poetry. (The other being fragments of Genesis by apparently the same author.)

It’s a Gospel harmonization set in an epic Norse poetry style, which helped evangelize the Saxons (really evangelize them, not merely convert them at the point of a sword, which Charlemagne and his immediate successor was doing at the time of the poem’s composition, and which the poem sometimes criticizes!)

One translation I’m using (by G. Ronald Murphy) turns the poem into prose, but keeps more of the actual content, and features helpful footnotes on some of the things happening in the text and their relation to Saxon culture.

The other translation (from Jabez L. Van Cleef) keeps the poetic form, mostly, but the translator decided to omit anything he thought involved hostility to the Jews (such as when he pretends Herod goes out like a monster personally to slaughter the babies rather than his soldiers–a scene that in the original Heliand is clearly much more directed as a critique toward both Frankish and Saxon atrocities but moreso the Franks!–which leads me to be quite suspicious about the author’s discernment on such matters) and adds in a few little social touches he himself wanted to promote (such as a homosexual relationship between the centurion and his servant boy. Something utterly missing in the original Heliand, not to say foreign to their cultural norms, and not mentioned in any of the Synoptic accounts, although it would be historically plausible in 1st century Greco-Roman Mediterranea.) On the other hand, this translation also seems to keep a few more Saxonish details than the other in some regards (although that might be the translator omitting what he thought was offensive and substituting something fitting to the Saxon context, or trying to fill out the overarching form in order to fit his poetic scheme). He also refits the poem in rhyme (sometimes at the expense of the original poetic form of syllables and consonant repetition, although that’s always a problem in English translation anyway), as a nod to another much longer high German harmonization epic, written a generation later, which has never (so far as I can tell) been translated into English. So it’s as if Dr. Seuss decided to tell the Gospel stories but in a butt-kicking fashion. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Except he would rhyme things more competently. :wink: )

Both are quite interesting, but both have major stylistic and/or accuracy deficits as noted which the other one makes up for. So I decided to just read them both. :smiley: (There are a couple of other Heliand translations available in English, but they’re rather more expensive. “Heliand” is a Saxon translation of “Messiah”, by the way.)

By accuracy, I mean in relation to the surviving copies of the original. The poem itself takes more than a few liberties with the Gospel accounts, but those mostly involve recasting people and things in ways the Saxons would recognize and more easily accept and respect. So practically every male character is a jarl and/or a heroic warrior thane, with warrior companions, including Zachary the father of John the Baptist, and Joseph husband of Mary! On the other hand the original author of the poem introduces some interesting touches such as demonstrating the humility of Christ by having Him, the highest king, be a guarding warrior-companion for Joseph and Mary while growing up. :slight_smile: Bethlehem is a hill fort town, with a cold deserted castle where David used to rule, but long abandoned and run down. That’s where Jesus is born; there is nothing about there being no room for them at the inn or anything like that. When Augustus sends forth a decree that all citizens should return to their hometowns for a census to be taxed, the second translator (although curiously not the first, so I don’t know if one is being creative or the other oddly missing something) represents this as a call for rowdy wandering warriors to stop their raiding and go home because “here come the Romans, unrolling their scrolls” to count up their people and levy their tolls! As a good (and presumably less rowdy raiding) wandering warrior, Joseph obliges.

Other minor additions and alterations are set up as ethical lessons for the Saxon audience to learn from, such as when the three sage/thanes leave the Christ and are warned in a dream not to go back to Herod. The morning after the dream they kneel to pray to God, using a very nice little prayer about asking Him to help renew and guard them from their sins as a fresh start every morning. This doesn’t fit the narrative context, even in the Heliand, but it’s an object lesson for the listeners and no doubt either represents an actual prayer being taught at the time or else the author was hoping it would become popular among Saxon converts.

I like reading harmonizations around Christmastime, so I’m very pleased to have finally gotten hold of this one, which I’d been meaning to do for years since learning it even existed! :ugeek: It’s rather like seeing Tolkien convert the Gospels into Middle-Earth tropes (something he was quite adverse to doing, though).

Still reading through “In Search of a Way” by Gerard W. Hughes. (Thanks again, Jeff) It is basically a travelogue type book of two of this Jesuit priest’s walking pilgrimages, peppered with spiritual insights gained along the way. He drops some real gems in there. Here is my favourite so far:

On the pilgrim nature of the Church:
“During the day, I kept thinking about the meaning of being a pilgrim and of the pilgrim nature of the Church.
The second Vatican council spoke of the Church as the pilgrim people of God, reminding us of a very ancient traditional description, which goes back to Abraham, who was called to leave his own country and to become a wanderer, a searcher. Those within the church who dislike change and oppose it in the name of tradition are not within the tradition of the Church, which, by its very nature, must be a church on the move, a searching church without any abiding city here. She betrays herself if she stops searching, settles down and think she has arrived. There is something essentially provisional about the church, because she is a people led by the spirit of the transcendent God, who cannot be enclosed in definitions, nor in temples made by human hands.
Pilgrims must travel light, otherwise they cannot continue on their way. Their equipment is designed for the journey and they do not fill their rucksacks with unnecessary possessions which only slow them down. As they walk they discover other treasures, which no one can take from them: an inner peace, new ways of seeing, a delight in nature. It is because they do not possess that they are able to enjoy everything.”

-Gerard W. Hughes (Scottish Jesuit priest, 1978)
In search of a Way; Two Journeys of Spiritual Discovery

Over Christmas I’ve been reading Edgar Goodspeed’s old classic, “A Life of Jesus.” He makes the familiar story fascinating and understandable. For better or worse, so far I’m finding that he interprets the accounts very much like I do.

In the midst of a few books that I haven’t been keeping up on (including F.F. Bruce’s New Testament History which isn’t the most exciting prose but has some very interesting content…)

What I’ve been avidly reading the past couple of days, though, since acquiring it is Anne Rice’s Christ the Lord: Out Of Egypt. :smiley:

Just got “All shall be well” for Christmas. Read the first chapter on Origen moving on to chapter 2 on gregory of Nyssa. The first chapter was more than interesting, but since its a collaboration of different people writing the different chapters I am not sure if they will all be as good. Since its Paperback and not kindle, my reading time for this book is limited. I’m always reading while on the run vs sitting at home.

I also scanned through History of the Church by Eusebius, looking for Origen and Clement references. Not much there. Found it inspiring reading about all the Martyrs though. One chapter contained an extra biblical letter that Jesus wrote to some king which was very interesting.

Still working through the Atonement views. While Im positive Christus Victor is true I haventy come across to many good arguements (Greg Boyd inlcuded) that can do away with the biblical support behind the Penal substitution view. But I have only read a few books on this topic. Maybe someone can offer a good book that presents a good defense against this view. From a biblical Exegises standpoint. Most argue from logic and avoid the many hard verses in support of Penal Substitution. It seems Most on this board Reject Penal Substitution, so maybe someone can give me a book or two that argues from scripture why that view is false.

Taking note of the Books Brothers suggested above. Thanks man!