The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What books are our members reading? Post updates freely! {g}

“Paul on the Cross” by David Brondos defends a non penal substitutionary view from an exegetical standpoint.

Julie Ferwerda’s Raising Hell should be arriving in the mail very soon. Looking forward to it.

David

Have just recently finished it - and enjoyed it.

Finished Christopher Bryan’s recent book on the Res today. A decent introduction to the topic (with strong UR tendencies that he thought he had to sort-of get around :wink: ), but if I gave this to someone I would want to follow up with more in-depth work (such as Licona’s recent tome). Which sort of begs the question of why I wouldn’t start with the more in-depth work, since CB’s own book isn’t really written for general audiences.

Be that as it may, I was impressed enough to order his prior book on Jesus and the Roman Empire. :slight_smile: So that’ll be next in my reading queue somewhere.

Game of Thrones. :laughing:

I really want to get a copy of Mere Christianity, though.

‘‘mere christianity’’ is such a common book you should be able to pick a copy up at second hand bookshops :slight_smile:

What is the title of the book? And by Res, are you referring to the restitution of all things or resurrection in general?

I realize many of you are probably familiar with the various abbreviations on this site, but sometimes I’m a bit flummoxed by them. Believe it or not, this site is my first exposure to group discussions regarding universalism–tho I have certainly attempted to seek out such things in the not-so-virtual (or is it?) world for years–which is why at times I’m at odds with some of the terminology. Up until very recently, I was under the impression that I could only rely on the Concordant Publishing Concern’s enlightening catalogue of writings on the subject. I only heard about Rob Bell’s book a short time ago, actually, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

In other words, this is…fun.

By the way, does ECT stand for eternal consciousness torment?

David

David,

Yes about ECT.

Bryan’s book is mostly about the resurrection of Jesus, but he discusses concepts of resurrection in the Jewish and Gentile Mediterranean cultures significantly in contact with Christian claims.

The Resurrection of the Messiah by Christopher Bryan. It’s supposed to be a spiritual sequel (so to speak) of Raymond Brown’s The Birth of the Messiah and The Death of the Messiah (2 vols.) (RB died before getting far along on the expected followup), but it never gets into anything like the same degree of detail. That can be considered a pro or a con.

Thanks Bob. I’ll have to pick up that book up.

Anyone read any of the books on the ante nicene fathers? Id like to pick those up, especially the ones on Origen and Clement.

Amazon is getting so sneaky on it’s “Recomendations for Steve”. “If you liked that… You may also like this!!” :slight_smile:

I’m gonna go broke!

Psalmist,

I had the same questions regarding abbreviations when I first found this site and UR :slight_smile:

Jason pointed me to a place on this site where the abbreviations are somewhat defined. Can’t remember where that is located though. Maybe PM him.

But yeah… ECT = eternal conscience torment.

The Shack

At last - thanks again Melchi!

Psalmist,

There is a (rather short) abbreviation list at the head of the forum FAQ here.

It can also be accessed from the top of any page, as the first hyperlink to the left under the “Search” bar at the upper right.

This is probably what ISitInAwe is talking about.

Thank you, Jason and I Sit in Awe. So much to read, so little time. Oh wait, I have ages ahead of me.

-wonder what ‘FAQ’ means? and furthermore - why is ‘monosyllabic’ such a long word?? :laughing:
One more thing - yesterday the our newspaper said that the local stationary shop was moving!?!? :confused:

Pilgrim,

Well, here it means “fraternally anticipated questions”. :mrgreen:

Not Fatally Awkward Questions then? :wink:

No, those are what A37 thinks he’s always asking us, even after we answer them. :smiling_imp:

Meanwhile, I’m currently very much enjoying Christopher Bryan’s previous book Render to Caesar: Jesus, the Early Church, and the Roman Superpower. The Kindle edition has the same faults as his book on the Resurrection (no hyperlinked endnotes, and no chaptermarks or endnote chaptermarks), which is annoying, but a fault of his publisher and/or whoever they hired to convert the thing to Kindle format. :angry:

(Good grief, I know Kindle is horrid when it comes to foot/endnotes, but my SttH transfer from .doc file to Kindle format automatically hyperlinked my footnotes, and it isn’t even a published book for sale! …yet. :mrgreen: )

A few hours of my free time each week since mid-November (my birthday) has been spent playing Skyrim, so I guess I could say I’m also currently reading a bunch of Elder Scroll fanmade short stories. :laughing: (There are dozens of books in the game, and each of them features what amounts to a fictional short story set in the ES milieu. Unfortunately the bookshelf subroutine is broken on the Playstation 3 version so I can’t have them sitting on the bookshelves of my house, but I can put them in drawers and chests.)

I have been reading a number of books and articles for stuff I am writing for the History Channel/Ecclesiology thread here. Am currently coming to the end of a chill out session and in the coming week will get going on the stuff I’ve promised Drew and Jason.

I am reading the ‘All Shall BE Well’ collection with much enjoyment – lots of food for thought and new insights. (If you lived down my street you could borrow my copy!). Regarding Julian of Norwich, I hadn’t thought of her visions as episodes of an NDE recollected carefully and pondered in memory – it seems she’d had an amazing experience but kept her feet firmly on the ground about it, and used it to communicate something of the ground of Hope to all of us, God bless her(reading her is so different from the extracts I’ve read from some of the other mystics of her time who were often very highly strung with over active/self indulgent imaginations).

I have also been reading Timothy Gorringe ‘God’s Just Vengeance’. This is about the influence of penal substitution theories of atonement on England’s ‘bloody code’ of retributive criminal justice in the eighteenth/early nineteenth century. Gorringe argues that Abelard’s moral theory of atonement is more compatible with restorative justice. Reading this has set me thinking beyond atonement theories to concepts of eschatological judgement. I know there are a rich variety of concepts and images associated with this in the Bible. Unfortunately the common picture seems to be derived not so much from Biblical themes but from an image from imperial Roman law, where the office of judge and counsel for the prosecution are combined. How we picture the ‘eschaton’ really does affect how we do things in the here and now – and I wonder if any UR exponents have started to imagine what divine justice means in terms of restorative justice? I know that there are biblical themes suggestive of restorative justice and I wonder whether, say, the workings of the imperfect but still wonderful Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa give us a flawed but profitable analogy on which to think about Divine justice? (I think people often misconceive of restorative justice as a ‘soft option’). I’m going to have a ponder on this - but won’t try and write anything about it in the near future.

All the best

Dick

How to Write a Book Proposal, 4th edition, just arrived from Amazon. My agent recommended the book because I need to include marketing information in my next proposal before he can send it out to major publishing houses.