The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What is justification and why is it necessary?

I think making justification another word for pardon or forgiveness is a grave error. Pardon presupposes guilt and probationary forgiveness. However justification is the declaration that one is acquitted of any guilt. One who shoots someone without legal cause could be forgiven and pardoned unto probabtion. Someone who lawfully protects his home would be justified in his actions and all guilt would be acquitted.

Pardon, forgiveness and probation have to do with law.

Justification has to do with Grace.

But that just my opinion.

Here is an excellent essay that defines some of the terms we are wrestling with. Lots of scripture, lots of learning.

http://ntwrightpage.com/1980/01/01/justification-the-biblical-basis-and-its-relevance-for-contemporary-evangelicalism/

The concept of “justification” as “being counted righteous whether you are or not” is nonsense and characteristic of the false gospel. Some who hold to this make a play on the word “justification” saying that it means “just as if I’d never sinned.”

The Greek word “δικαιωσις” which is usually translated as “justification” comes from “δικαιοω” which comes from “δικαιος.” The word “δικαιος” means “righteous.” Therefore the word “δικαιοω” means "to render righteous. Therefore the word “δικαιωσις” means “righteousification.” But there is no such English word. So it is usually translated as “justification.”

God doesn’t count practising sinners as righteous. When He looks at practising sinners, He is not blinded to their sin, seeing only Christ’s righteousness if they have “accepted Christ as their personal Saviour.” God is not interested in counting evil doers righteous. He is interested in seeing them depart from wrongdoing and become workers of righteousness. That is why He provided the death of His Son for them—to make available His enabling grace so that they may begin to walk in the paths of righteousness.

For the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all people, training us to renounce impiety and worldly passions, and to live sensible, righteous, and devout lives in the present age, expecting the blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of the great God and of our Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; encourage and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you. (Titus 2:11-15)

How do we appropriate this enabling grace? We appropriate it through faith. Salvation is a life-long process which will some day be completed.

I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

Surprisingly, I need to retract the judgment of ‘excellence’ as to Tom Wright’s article on justification that I linked to above. This is not the one I meant to cite.
And, reading it more closely, I was troubled by it. It did not have the TW ‘feel’ about it - but it is by him BUT back in 1980, I found out. Almost 40 years ago. He has obviously deepened his understanding since then as well as becoming a better writer.

Here is a DIRECT answer to the heading of this topic. From TW at a later date:

“Thus, for instance, for Paul it is not the doctrine of justification that is ‘the power of God for salvation’ (Rom. 1:16), but the gospel of Jesus Christ. As Hooker noted, it is perfectly possible to be saved by believing in Jesus Christ without ever having heard of justification by faith. What that doctrine provides is the assurance that, though Christian obedience is still imperfect, the believer is already a full member of God’s people. It establishes, in consequence, the basis and motive for love (and true obedience) towards God. The teaching of present justification is thus a central means whereby the fruits of the Spirit — love, joy, peace and the rest — may be produced.”

That will be my go-to answer whenever this question arises.