Thursday, July 16, 2009
Will I reveal my real identity? Yes.
When? Not in the immediate future but certainly in the medium term future.
But to quash some rumours
- I am not Donald Carson.
- I am not Greg Boyd.
- You have almost certainly not heard of me, so don’t get too excited! (This means that I am also not the Cookie Monster)
- I am not hiding my identity to protect my job.
- I am (mostly) not hiding my identity to protect my reputation (although I would be lying if I said that this was never a factor in my thoughts).
- I am not hiding my identity because I am scared of facing my critics.
- I am not hiding my identity because I cannot recall my real name.
I am hiding my identity for two reasons
(a) to protect my employer from hassle
(b) to protect the ministry of other books that I have written which God is using to bless Christians that would - sadly - not look at them if they thought I was a heretic (which I am not).
Exatly how and when I will reveal my identity remains a mystery. Mostly that is because I am still considering how best to do it. To be honest most of me wants to say, ‘Gregory MacDonald is really [Jon Bon Jovi?]’ but whenever I get close to doing that God seems to foil my plans so I suspect that he has other plans re: timing.
I must also confess that there is a naughty little boy in me who likes to play with a pseudonym. I am much more interesting when you don’t know who I am. But fun and games can only last for a season.
Rick Warren (whoops!)
Michael William Smith said…
Thank you brother for the new posts! One of the advantages, I think, of a pseudonym is that it is easier to deflect praise and glory back to the King of Kings as you have shown! Thank you again brother, whoever you are, for allowing the Lord Jesus Christ to work through you for our benefit and showing us the “big picture” of the Triune God’s Love for us in Jesus Christ! Can’t wait for “All Will Be Well”. Blessings to you brother!
July 21, 2009 9:47 AM