The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Who is Truly a Disciple?

Luke 14:33 (New American Standard Bible)
33"So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

Since we all still sin, could those sins not be called possessions?

Maybe, but…

If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]. (1 John 1:9, Amplified Bible.)

Do you think that if you don’t give up all your possessions that you are not a disciple? How many people do you know that have done so?

You equated sins with possesions, and asked if anyone who still has them (sins, or possesions?) could be considered a disciple (by which I believe you meant Christian.)

If you were talking about sins, I believe you should re-read the passage I quoted in context.

And this is the message which we have heard from Him and now are reporting to you: God is Light, and there is no darkness in Him at all. [So] if we say we are partakers together and enjoy fellowship with Him when we live and move and are walking about in darkness, we are [both] speaking falsely and do not live and practice the Truth. But if we are living and walking in the Light, as He [Himself] is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin and guilt. If we say we have no sin, we delude and lead ourselves astray, and the Truth is not in us. But if we admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we contradict His Word and make Him out to be false and a liar, and His Word is not in us. (1 John 1:5-10.)

That was my first question, now I am discussing possessions.
I am just asking questions, not pushing any point (other than that it is a tough question!).
Thanks,
r