The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Why does God delay? A reply.

Why does God delay?

Previously, a theologian argued that God delays, and it’s central focus is on the problem of evil. He concluded two things.

1. God delays because evil has no ultimate purpose.
  2. God delays because evil is so great He waits as long as He can to save us from it.

I disagree with point 2 empathetically, although it really disgusts my rational mind far more than my emotion of seeing some of my love ones consigned to hell.

So I consigned a few thoughts.

If God is ALL POWERFUL and ALL KNOWING, then there is no EVIL which is so powerful that God cannot save us from it.

I also disagree to Point 1, very strongly as well. I believe evil has a purpose, otherwise God would not have allowed it, or created it.

If God is ALL POWERFUL and ALL KNOWING, and EVIL exists, then evil has a purpose.

So let us look at the two propositional conclusions:

A) If God is ALL POWERFUL and ALL KNOWING, then there is no EVIL which is so powerful that God cannot save us from it.

B) If God is ALL POWERFUL and ALL KNOWING, and EVIL exists, then evil has a purpose.

Therefore, we conclude with these two propositional conclusions:

God is ALL POWERFUL and ALL KNOWING.

EVIL exists, and has a purpose.

EVIL is not powerful enough that God cannot save us from it.

The problem of evil and it’s purpose is the ability to make choices and learn from those choices: Freedom of Will.

Freedom of Will, is not self determination concerning our salvation, as Augustine and many in Arminianism want us to believe. Freedom of will has nothing to do with our salvation, it has to do with our growing and maturing process.

We were created without the knowledge of the truth, when we were created, we were created ignorant.

We as children, knew neither good or evil and so must experience both in order to understand what is true.

God is all knowing and all powerful, able to discipline us accordingly and bring all creation into righteousness.

The purpose of the knowledge of good and evil, which brings death, is so that we can be made aware of the knowledge of the truth, which is Life.

Death, in the end is swallowed up by Life.

Isaiah 25:8 NIV
He will swallow up death forever.
The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove the disgrace of his people from all the earth. The LORD has spoken.

Student of the Word