The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Why I must believe that God saves all.

My main reason for believing in UR is that I have no confidence in myself. Now a Christian who believes the traditional doctrine may say, “well you aren’t supposed to have confidence in yourself; you are supposed to trust Christ!” But there is a big problem with this and I’m confident that its not just me. To assert that I must trust Christ to be saved puts the onus back on me to make sure I truly believe; even more, according to some soteriologies, I must have evidence in my life, good works, fruit, to prove that my faith is real, that its not a false faith that its not “spurious”. For a person like me this is a recipe for despair (and it has been). Only if I am confident that God never gives up, that he will use all his means available (and his means are infinite :wink: ) can I rest in His grace. Its all about commitment; not my commitment to God, but His commitment to me.

A tree is known by its fruit; I’ve seen the fruit of the doctrine of eternal punishment in my life, in the lives of others and even in the culture I grew up in.

If I didn’t believe that God saves all, I would have a hard time believing that I would ever be saved.

Exactly.

I agree with you 100% Andre.
Furthermore, if we see how Jesus dealt with those who were confident, compared to those who were not, He showed nothing but kindness and compassion to the latter group. Perhaps this life, in its entirety, is just one big scary leap across the gaping chasm into Daddy’s arms.