The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Writing an Evangelical Universalist "Chick Tract"

Thats a great idea. I will get to adding that in probably Monday. Weekends are always busy for me at work…

Sounds like you are up to something good byronarn. What do you think about opening with the Rev sharing the traditional gospel with people… and showing their reaction (from scoffing to horror)?

I agree with edwardtulane82 about including something more specific about postmortem salvation … a necessary component of EU. Have you considered making reference to the “kings of the earth” in Revelation:

The kings of the earth are mentioned 8 times. The first is just a general reference that does not indicate how they stand with God. I think it is significant that In the next 6 references they are clearly enemies of God, which gets them thrown in the lake of fire in Rev 20:11-15, only to come walking into the heavenly city in Rev 21:24. Whatupwithat?! This could only be explained by salvation from the lake of fire (unless we somehow imagine God is suddenly using the title “kings of the earth” in an entirely new way from the previous 6, and not at all indicated in the first reference in Rev 1:5, which would make no sense.)

Just adding 2 more cents. (I think that along with edwardtulane82 it comes to 4 cents now.) Keep up the good work.

Sounds like you are up to something good byronarn. What do you think about opening with the Rev sharing the traditional gospel with people… and showing their reaction (from scoffing to horror)?

I agree with edwardtulane82 about including something more specific about postmortem salvation … a necessary component of EU. Have you considered making reference to the “kings of the earth” in Revelation:

The kings of the earth are mentioned 8 times. The first is just a general reference that does not indicate how they stand with God. I think it is significant that In the next 6 references they are clearly enemies of God, which gets them thrown in the lake of fire in Rev 20:11-15, only to come walking into the heavenly city in Rev 21:24. Whatupwithat?! This could only be explained by salvation from the lake of fire (unless we somehow imagine God is suddenly using the title “kings of the earth” in an entirely new way from the previous 6, and not at all indicated in the first reference in Rev 1:5, which would make no sense.)

Just adding 2 more cents. (I think that along with edwardtulane82 it comes to 4 cents now.) Keep up the good work.

Hi firedup2000,

Did you ever see my 2010 blog article “The Kings of the Earth in Heaven”?
theoperspectives.blogspot.com/2010/02/kings-earth-heaven.html

waves frantically

I said so regarding myself on the other thread, which is why I thought you made this thread! facepalm :stuck_out_tongue:

Preliminary edit coming up! :smiley:

Edits in bold italic:

Explanations of edits (aside from grammar or minor word changes):

First edit: To hint that the “reward” is Howard’s forthcoming new, enlightened and glorious perspective in embracing everyone with full-on, agape love.
Second edit: Might sound too much to the reader as if the angel is trying to avoid a problematic conversation, so I changed the wording and tense to that of a serene and focused purpose.
Third edit: Wanted to slow the pacing down just enough so that the reader will get a small sense of the awe that Howard is feeling.
Fourth edit: To emphasize that it’s because God so loves us that we love Him, and take the emphasis off of strictly our part.
Fifth edit: To re-emphasize how all-enveloping His salvation is, and that even Howard’s false presentations of a condemning gospel can be reversed and turned around for His glory and the ultimate salvation of all. In other words, Howard’s actions are not worth remorse to the point of condemnation, which buttresses the point. And it’s pretty obvious Christ loves him anyway. :slight_smile: (He’ll probably be embracing him.)
Sixth edit: Tried to change the wording just a bit to reflect that not only do they not have to wait, but that it is counter-intuitive to wait since they are headed there somehow anyway, so why not avoid the trouble?

But really, this is a very great, simple presentation. It’s controversial (presence of homosexual and atheist) without being inflammatory toward (at least all) ECT preachers. I love it. It’s a great starting tract, surprising enough to capture peoples’ attention and their imagination while still getting the message out there.

Perhaps could use some elaboration, but we’ll see if any further thoughts come up on this…

If you would like to be the cartoonist for the tract, the job is yours! :slight_smile: I have no cartooning skills myself, so I am glad to pass the buck on that one. :slight_smile:

I will accept all the corrections proposed, they seem very well thought out. :slight_smile: I also intend to add a page talking about other faiths and the “All roads lead to heaven” fallacy. I plan to have the revised script up by this evening. :slight_smile:

Here is the beginning of another tract idea that I posted elsewhere:
[Osama bin Laden and the afterlife)

Osama bin Laden died and started his afterlife.

George Washington walked up to Osama and said, “What did you do to my nation?” George punched Osama for a while and left.

Then Thomas Jefferson walked up to Osama and beat Osama with a cane and left.

Then one by one, early Americans walked up to Osama to beat him.

Osama felt confused and asked God, “God, why did this happen to me?”

God said, “Osama, what did you expect? I told you that when you died, you’d be greeted by seventy Virginians.”

Well, we still need to come up with the conversion scene :laughing:

:laughing:

Lol, nice one James! :smiley:

Back to my script, I couldn’t think of a way to add someone of another religion without repeating what was already said about mercy beyond the grave, or getting into the hell question. Maybe a future tract could deal with the issue. :slight_smile:

Anyways, I think its ready to begin cartooning, unless anyone has more discussion about the script to make. :slight_smile:

Byronarn and All contributors here -

This is maginificent stuff :smiley: So sorry to have been lukewarm about the idea intially :blush: . All power to your collective arm and creative imaginations. Its always humbling to be wrong - and I’m glad to say it hapends every day with me! :laughing:

I hope you know that you have my support and prayers - for what they are worth. And I will continue to expose the odl charltan chick at every opportunity that comes my way. Just thinking of those bookelts reminds me of a satrical line from William Blake - ‘This is saying the Lord’s prayer backwards - which they say raises the devil!’

love and blessings

Dick (old grump puss) :laughing:

Oh man James, hahaha. Too bad there’s so much political controversy over that (for instance, placing the real blame on those who caused the blowback), but it’s funny all the same!

This is happening faster than I thought. Guess I better get cartoonin’! :wink:

You the man :wink:

Just curious, hows it coming? Have you had aq chance to start it yet?

Not much, yet. This next week is the last of this quarter, though, so maybe I’ll get some time then. :slight_smile:

I understand how hectic the end of the quarter can be. My college is ending their quarter this week as well.

Whenever you end up getting around to it, just be sure to post it here when you are done! :slight_smile: