The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Writing as Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives

Just got me a copy of this book “Writing as Healing”: How telling our Stories Transforms our Lives". I can relate to this because I’ve received tremendous healing by telling my whole life story to my A.A. sponsor over an 8 year period. I did write some things down at first and read them but telling my whole story has been a process and something I’ve done verbally. It’s opened me up to where I can look people in the eye and communicate as I carry on a conversation with a clear mind and inner peace. This is something I haven’t been able to do my entire life. The self-conscious shame and ego fears got so bad that I had a psychotic break with reality. The medicine helped a little but I still wasn’t able to communicate with others well until I met my sponsor and we decided to work the steps. The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is true when it tells us:

The answer is that they never completed their housecleaning. They took inventory all right, but hung on to some of the worst items in stock. They only thought they had lost their egoism and fear; they only thought they had humbled themselves. But they had not learned enough of humility, fearlessness and honesty, in the sense we find it necessary, until they told someone else all their life story.

Psychologists agree with us. Members of our group have spent thousands of dollars for examinations by psychologists and psychiatrists. We know but few instances where we have given these doctors a fair break. We have seldom told them the whole truth. Unwilling to be honest with these sympathetic men, we were honest with no one else. Small wonder the medical profession has a low opinion of alcoholics and their chance for recovery!

You must be entirely honest with somebody if you expect to live long or happily in this world. Rightly and naturally, you are going to think well before you choose the person or persons with whom to take this intimate and confidential step. If you belong to a religious denomination which requires confession, you must, and of course, will want to go to the properly appointed authority whose duty it is to receive it. Though you have no religious connection, you may still do well to talk with someone ordained by an established religion. You will often find such a person quick to see and understand your problem. Of course, we sometimes encounter ministers who do not understand alcoholics.

If you cannot, or would rather not do this, search your acquaintance for a close-mouthed, understanding friend. Perhaps your doctor or your psychologist will be the person. It may be one of your own family, but you should not disclose anything to your wife or your parents which will hurt them and make them unhappy. You have no right to save your own skin at another person’s expense. Such parts of your story you should tell to someone who will understand, yet be unaffected. The rule is you must be hard on yourself, but always considerate of others.

Notwithstanding the great necessity for discussing yourself with someone, it may be that you are so situated that there is no suitable person available. If that is so, you may postpone this step, only, however, if you hold yourself in complete readiness to go through with it at the first opportunity. We say this because we are very anxious that you talk to the right person. It is important that he be able to keep a confidence; that he fully understand and approve what you are driving at; that he will not try to change your plan. But don’t use this as a mere excuse to postpone.

When you decide who is to hear your story, waste no time. Have a written inventory. Be prepared for a long talk. Explain to your partner what you are about to do, and why you have to do it. He should realize that you are engaged upon a life-and-death errand. Most people approached in this way will be glad to help; they will be honored by your confidence.

Pocket your pride and go to it! Illumine every twist of character, every dark cranny of the past. Once you have taken this step, withholding nothing, you will be delighted. You can look the world in the eye. You can be alone at perfect peace and ease. Your fears will fall from you. You will begin to feel the nearness of your Creator. You may have had certain spiritual beliefs, but now you will begin to have a spiritual experience. The feeling that the drink problem has disappeared will come strongly. You will know you are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe.

This has certainly come true for me.

He also has a book on writing.

Quotes from "Recovery - The Sacred Art. The Twelve Steps as Spiritual Practice.

Quit playing God and insisting that you should control your life.

The fundamental and paradoxical premise of Twelve Step recovery as I experience it is this: The more clearly you realize your lack of control, the more powerless you discover yourself to be. The more powerless you discover yourself to be, the more natural it is to surrender to God. The more surrendered to God you become the less you struggle against the flow of life. The less you struggle against the flow of life the freer you become.

The real disease from which almost all of us suffer is the disease of playing God, of thinking we are or should be in control of what happens to us in life.

Link to the book of the OP

https://www.amazon.com/Writing-Way-Healing-Telling-Transforms/dp/0807072435/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546995163&sr=8-1&keywords=writing+as+healing

Healing the Child Within also speaks of how telling our stories brings healing.

https://www.amazon.com/Healing-Child-Within-Discovery-Dysfunctional/dp/0932194400/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=healing+the+child+within&qid=1583772077&sr=8-1