The Evangelical Universalist Forum

2 Cor 5:19 and the only sin that is not forgiven in any age!

Everyone

2 Corinthians 5:19

To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Notice what this verse says and what it doesn’t say. It doesn’t say “God was in Christ reconciling some Christians unto himself not imputing their trespasses unto them.” Instead it says, “God was in Christ RECONCILING THE WORLD unto himself…”

When you read a newspaper, you read about things that have already happened. They are not reporting prophecy. They are reporting the news. So our real job as ministers of reconciliation is to announce the good NEWS, an accomplished fact, that sin has been dealt with already through the person of Christ. We should be saying, “Now we beseech you, be ye reconciled to God. Change your mind and believe the gospel so that you may partake of that which has already been done on your behalf.”

The Greek word translated “imputing” was an accounting term meaning “to lay to one’s account” Our Father God didn’t send His Son to collect our debt, but to pay our debt. This is what makes Christianity so unique. God didn’t send Jesus to give us some divine revelation of what we had to do to get right with God. He did for us what we couldn’t do for ourselves and then He offered us right standing with His Father as a gift.

All of the other founders of the world’s religions offered instruction about what we have to do to obtain salvation. But Jesus did what we needed to do to satisfy God’s holy demands. He died for us, bearing our punishment, and now offers us a ledger of our account with God that says, “Paid in full.”

“Repent” is likely the most misunderstood word in the Bible today. First of all let’s understand what it does not mean so that we can grasp the true meaning.

1. It does not mean to turn away from sin.

2. It does not mean to quit sinning.

3. It does not mean to feel sorry for sin.

4. It does not mean to change your sinful ways before you can be saved.

5. It does not imply salvation.

6. It is not the means of forgiveness of sin.

7. It is not salvation nor does it imply that we should live a sinless life.

8. It does not imply sin.

9. Metanoeo. This is a compound word. “Meta” means change “noeo” means thinking. This word is derived from “nous” which means mind. So, metanoeo means to “change your mind”

10. Metamellamai. This is also a compound word. “Meta” means change
    “mellamai” means emotions. It means to have a “change of emotions”.

Some brilliant mind somewhere along the way added “of sin” to repent and came up with the moronic phrase “repent of your sins” and someone else added “and be saved” and came up with “repent of your sins and be saved.”

When someone tries to add “repenting of sin” or emotionalism to the free gift of God he is saying that what Jesus Christ did for us is not enough. We cannot do anything about our sin. This is why Jesus Christ had to die on the cross as a substitute for us.

Notice that “Godly sorry” is not repentance but rather it works to repentance. In other words a person can become sorrowful of his sinful ways and then repent (change his mind about Christ.) Jesus Christ is always the object of salvation not turning away, refraining, quitting or whatever of sin. In Mark 1:15 Jesus said speaking to unbelievers in Galilee “Repent (metanoeo change your mind) and believe the Gospel.” It tells us right here what we are to change our mind about. The Gospel, not our sins. He was speaking to unbelievers who did not believe the gospel. We are condemned because of unbelief not because of our sins:

John 3:18 “He that believeth on him is not condemned, but he that believeth not is condemned already BECAUSE he has not believed in the name of the uniquely born Son of God."

Since we are condemned because of unbelief does it not follow that we should turn from our unbelieving mind and not our sins? We are not condemned because of sin. Repenting of sin prior to salvation is meaningless because God has already judged Jesus for them already. Sin has been dealt with. Changing your mind about Christ is repenting which is salvation. We partake of this forgiveness and salvation when we believe in Christ.

How does this all tie in with the sin to blaspheme the Holy Spirit? Luke 12:8-10 has established a connection between denying Jesus and to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. To deny Jesus is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. All sins have been paid in full by Jesus. God is no longer imputing sin to anyone’s account. All sin, but the one Jesus said shall not be forgiven… If you deny Jesus you cannot partake of this paid for salvation. Believing is a non-meritorious act and requires nothing of us except a change of mind. Unbelief in ignorance Jesus died for, but those who persist in unbelief will never receive the pardon that is yet possible for them. It is “a state of hardness of the heart in which one consciously and willfully resists or renounces God’s saving power and grace” (Holman Bible Dictionary, p. 198). To again quote the Expositor’s Bible Commentary, Jesus is “not speaking of an isolated act, but a settled condition of the soul” (vol. 8, p. 645). Dr. Gerhard Kittel, in his classic Theological Dictionary of the NT, said, “It denotes the conscious and wicked rejection of the saving power and grace of God towards man. Only the man who sets himself against forgiveness is excluded from it” (vol. 1, p. 624). Your guilty of the eternal sin which has eternal consequences.

In conclusion: 2 Cor 5:19 has established that all sins are paid for by Jesus and sins are no longer being imputed unto anyone’s account. But there is one sin that is not included and does not have forgiveness in any age, to deny Jesus and blaspheme the Holy Spirit or remain in UNBELIEF! There are those who say we have to repent of our sins in order to be saved. No, we have to repent ( Change our minds) only of the thing that makes us unsaved, and that is unbelief.

References:

1. Andrew Wommack, bible commentary 2 Cor 5:19.
  2. Author Unknown, Repent: what does that mean?

Come one, Aaron, you know that that sin of bad-mouthing (not believing) Him is forgiven. He said so himself.

Come on, Ran, to deny Jesus or remain in unbelief is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit which is the only sin that Jesus said shall not be forgiven in any age. Bad mouthing Jesus is not the issue here, Ran.

So, I hope you take this response seriously since it’s extremely clear and straightforward:

1. Is the sin ever able to be forgiven, after the person has repented? For instance, in the apostle Paul’s case.
  2. If so, then what’s to say that anyone who is unrepentant now won’t repent in the future?

Also, who is the author of this article?

1. Yes, unbelief done in ignorance is always forgivable when you repent (change your mind about Jesus) as Paul did. Since we are condemned because of unbelief does it not follow that we should turn from our unbelieving mind about Jesus?

2. They absolutely can… But the longer they play paddy-cake with the Holy Spirit’s testimony of Jesus they are hardening their hearts and minds and searing their consciences towards repenting ( changing their minds about Jesus).This can only happen for so long. Only the man who sets himself against forgiveness is excluded from it. Jesus said this sin to blaspheme the Spirit is not forgivable in any age. So, if you remain in unbelief when you die in this age or the next…you’re done and are guilty of the eternal sin that has eternal consequences.

3. The Author is Unknown for Repent: what does it mean. I’m serious. I put together the article by combining these references. This is not an original article by one author. I also came up with the title of the thread.

Well, yeah. I follow you here to this point.

I need harder evidence of this than just your say-so.

Why is it set in stone when somebody dies, do you think?

I actually forgot that was the typical belief (and thus didn’t realize what you were getting at) because it’s been so long since I’ve divorced myself from it. I see the afterlife as a continuation to a large extent of this life.

facepalm I’m sorry, Aaron, and I don’t mean any disrespect, but… I think it might really do you some good to take a quick course in Communications or something similar at a local community college, just to understand proper citation. None of that was quoted properly, and I highly doubt you’re saying you composed all of that yourself as it doesn’t fit your writing style. Secondly, I really have little idea which was one article and which was the other. Where does one end and the other begin, or are you saying they’re both mixed in together? :confused:

Stellar

Again, I combined them together. Judge the content of the post. Anywho:

1 Timothy 4:1-2 " 1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Hebrews 3:7-13 " Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, 8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: 9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. 10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. 11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) 12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. 13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
"

These are example of believers. So, imagine how easy it would be for this to happen with unbelievers. When you resist and stiff-neck the Holy Spirit for so long your heart hardens through the deceifulness of sin which leads to having your conscience seared with a hot iron to the point of no return. Romans 1:18-32 is another example of resisting the Holy Spirit to the point of reprobation.

That’s still not hard evidence or reasoning that such people will never repent or at least desire to (given that you presumably believe they eventually won’t be able to…)

A37,
You may assert that a person can so harden their heart that God is unable to do anything with them, but I say that God is able to soften the hardest of hearts and win even his most difficult children to himself!

Eze 36:26
And I have given to you a new heart,
And a new spirit I give in your midst,
And I have turned aside the heart of stone out of your flesh,
And I have given to you a heart of flesh.

Praise God! The One who Made is able to Make New!

Sonia

And what about when God said that he will not be angry forever, lest the spirit of man, the breath that he created, grow faint before him?

Sonia, this is not my assertion, but what has come from the mind of God himself. Those scriptures above were penned by men being inspired by the mind of God. The scripture you quote above is Ezekiel prohesying the restoration of Israel to the Lord and national salvation. The “New heart” describes the new birth, which is regeneration of the Holy Spirit people will experience in the New Covenant. This has nothing to do with people blaspheming the Holy Spirit to the point of hardening their hearts and mind to remain in the eternal sin of unbelief.

What about what I said, Aaron? The spirit of man growing faint before God seems to be a pretty sure implication that no one’s heart can remain hardened before him forever.

How about a scripture reference, Justin.

Oh, alright. I figured it was world famous:

Justin, when you leave Isaiah 57:16 in context with verses 14 & 15 God is talking about restoring Israel ( those with contrite spirits) God will not contend with Israel forever. This has nothing to do with no one’s heart remaining hardened before him forever. Although you could say those who are not contrite in spirit will not be restored and will remain hardened before him forever.

Yes, compartmentalizing is extremely convenient for your case though I’m afraid it has little merit. Just a few scant verses down in 19 it says,

Unfortunately for your argument, breaking the statements apart into contradictory absolutes (God will not pour out punishment on the Israelites forever, but those who sin against the Holy Ghost will never be forgiven) makes your stance inconsistent or at best extremely shaky. Best to go with the simplest, most literal interpretation, right? :wink:

Justin

Again, in the context God is dealing with all the years of Israel’s sin and backslidden state, and of Israel’s punishment, God’s grace will prevail (43:25) and spiritual healing and restoration will come. In the context of verse 19 it is the voice crying “peace, peace” in a call to people far and near to come to the Lord and receive spiritual healing. Only those with contrite spirits will experience this restoration. Notice in verse 20 in contrast to verse 19, the wicked enjoy anything but peace. These are the ones who are not contrite in spirit and will not receive restoration.

Justin, you are pulling Isaiah 57:16;19 out of context in desparation to refute my post( which actually works against your argument more than for it) which has nothing to do with no one’s heart remaining hardened before him forever. Although you could say those who are not contrite in spirit will not be restored and will remain hardened before him forever. Lets bring it back to the OP, OK.

Oh, this is totally relevant to the OP, whether you wanna discuss it or not. If anyone’s desperate, it’s not me. Blasphemy against the HS is, to your mind, unbelief and unrepentance. And you’ve stated that people will not be forgiven because they will be permanently settled against repentance. My point runs counter to that notion thus it’s 100% relevant to this thread.

God explicitly stated that man’s spirit would most assuredly grow faint before him (thus no longer hardened) if he were angry or accused forever, and we see from the context (and no less the entire context of Isaiah) that he is speaking of everyone near and far. Yet you still insist that he is merely speaking of Israel and that this doesn’t concern BTHS. Why is this, good sir?

I don’t know how you were taught to interpret scripture but the context does not say what you are trying to sell. Verse 16 interprets verse 15. in other words, the ones whose spirits are growing faint before him are the very ones who will receive restoration( the contrite and humble spirits). God’s plan was to chasten the Jews and not destroy them. It is not speaking of everyone near and far, but the ones who have a contrite spirit near and far. Verse 20 " The WICKED ARE LIKE TROUBLED SEA, WHEN IT CANNOT REST, WHOSE WATERS CAST UP MIRE AND DIRT. Verse 21 “THERE IS NO PEACE, SAITH GOD, TO THE WICKED.” Only those contrite in spirit will receive this spirtual restoration. This does not include the uncontrite wicked. These are the facts, Justin, rather you accept it or not . I have no more to say about Isaiah 57:15-21.

Why would God be angry at or accusing those humble and contrite in spirit in the first place, Aaron? God is talking about people becoming humble and contrite because of his dealings with them, including being angry and accusing.

Notice the other bits of context here:

Verse 11
“Whom have you so dreaded and feared
that you have been false to me,
and have neither remembered me
nor pondered this in your hearts?
Is it not because I have long been silent
that you do not fear me?”

Verse 17-19
"I was enraged by his sinful greed;
I punished him, and hid my face in anger,
yet he kept on in his willful ways.

I have seen his ways, but I will heal him;
I will guide him and restore comfort to him,
creating praise on the lips of the mourners in Israel.
Peace, peace, to those far and near,"
says the LORD. “And I will heal them.”

So he was enraged by the sinful greed of the humble and contrite, Aaron? Is that what you’re saying?

Whoever it is, he promises to heal and comfort them. This will create praise on the lips of the mourners and bring peace and healing to those far and near.