The Evangelical Universalist Forum

A Saved Blasphemer!

The problem with your objection, other than being poorly worded, is that Paul was certainly not “ignorant”. He was a Pharisee of Pharisees. He had studied scripture from childhood. He heard Stephen preach, likely had heard the apostles preach, and could have even personally heard Jesus preach. Concerning your tendency to lift yourself up and put others down, oh well. Such an attitude certainly doesn’t inspire me to seriously consider anything you share.

I hope you change your mind because Paul certainly acted ignorantly when It came to the true knowledge of Jesus Christ. Check it out, Sherman:

1 Timothy 1:12-13 "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Which is exactly why we hold out hope for you, too, Aaron, no matter how dead set you are against the revelation of God’s persistent love.

So then blaspheme is forgiveable if the one who blasphemes is acting in ignorance and unbelief. But if one knows Jesus and has faith in Him then blaspheme is not forgiveable. So God has more forgiveness and grace for unbelievers than for believers? Of course not! Ignorance and unbelief do not mean that sin is ok or that God more readily forgives the sin of unbelievers than He does for believers.

From our perspective though it sure does help. It is much easier for me to embrace forgiveness and mercy for the things I did in ignorance and unbelief than it is for me to accept forgiveness for things that I do that I know I should not have done, especially something as serious as blaspheming, or persecuting others. But whether on is ignorant or not has nothing to do with forgiveness from God’s point of view. He forgives us of all of our sins because He loves us, whether we did them in ignorance or not.

Ok, instead of getting involved in the other threads, here’s my understanding of the matter. Let’s look at Mk.3 first.

22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the truler of the demons He casts out demons.”
23 So He called them to Himself and said to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself, and is divided, he cannot stand, but has an end. 27 No one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man. And then he will plunder his house.
28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; 29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation” — 30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

In this particular case, to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit was to see Jesus perform a deliverance by the power of God, and in stead of recognizing it to be by the power of God, to be so blinded by unbelief and pride so as to attribute the deliverance to the power of an unclean spirit.

Also notice that vs 29 would be better interpreted, “he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit does not have forgiveness in this age” because:

1. have (echo) is in the present tense, not in the future tense and
  2. *aion *means “age” and does not imply forever, but an indefinite season of time.

Frankly, as long as the person remains in such stubborn unbelief as to reject evident miracles from God as being from the devil, then that person will remain cut off from the forgiveness of God. But of course, if/when he repents and obtains faith, he’s enabled to recieve forgiveness. And in fact, even before we sin, God has already forgiven us because he loves us.

Paul actually fits this very well. He rejected the ministry of Jesus, the Apostles, and Stephen as being from the Devil, and he did so in unbelief, not realizing that he was really calling good evil. And when Jesus revealed Himself to Paul, he repented and recieved forgiveness.

Luke 12:10 is similar.
10 “And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven.

As long as a person remains in such terrible ignorance of the love of God and the blindness of unbelief, they cannot recieve forgiveness, but it doesn’t mean that God doesn’t forgive them already. Shoot, Jesus died for the sins of all humanity, not just some sins, but all sins, not just some people but all people.

Furthermore, it seems to me that if this passage meant to convey that there was an unforgivable sin, it would specify very clearly what that exact sin is and not be a vague at all. But to this day there is much debate over what “blasphemes against the Holy Spirit” fully entails.

Over the years I have counseled many people who were bound in fear thinking that they had in some way blaspemed the Holy Spirit. They lived in fear and depression questioning whether or not Jesus loved them enough to save them because they had “blaspemed the Holy Spirit” and yet they often do not even have a specific sin they are thinking of. They are chained in bondage to irrational fear why? Because they have not even partially comprehended the love of God for them.

Also if two passages in the Synoptics are similar, I tend to view them together and thus my understanding of Mark significantly influences my understanding of Luke.

So then blaspheme is forgiveable if the one who blasphemes is acting in ignorance and unbelief. But if one knows Jesus and has faith in Him then blaspheme is not forgiveable. So God has more forgiveness and grace for unbelievers than for believers? Of course not! Ignorance and unbelief do not mean that sin is ok or that God more readily forgives the sin of unbelievers than He does for believers.

Again, to prevent repeating myself… go and read my posts, Sherman. Here you go: 2 Cor 5:19 and the only sin that is not forgiven in any age!
Luke 12:8-10 speaking and denying? The difference!

Just fyi everyone,

I’ll be on vacation the next two weeks so my participation on this forum will be spotty to nill.

Blessings,
Sherman

In your previous post, you apparently put a quotation division in the wrong place. I actually wrote

My point was that ignorance is no excuse for breaking a law, but it is much easier for us to recieve forgiveness if we were ignorant of it being sin. If though we are fully aware that our actions are evil, it makes it much more difficult for us to recieve forgiveness, though that is all God has towards us.

Hi Sherman, have you ever looked up the word never in verse 29?

It is aionios

So that scripture can actually be read

but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit aionios forgiveness has , but is subject to eternal condemnation.

Thanks for pointing that out. But the actual wording is: **οὐκ ἔχει ἄφεσιν εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα **

**οὐκ ἔχει **- is “does not have”

And the phrase “εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα” is aparently usually omitted in English translations for it means “unto the age”. In other words, it would be best translated that those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit do not recieve deliverance in this age, in this life! Which is absolutely true. Those who set resist the Holy Spirit to such a great degree that they actually attribute the miracles of the Spirit to the work of Satan, those who break their own principles in order to condemn something that is so obviously good, these people will not recieve the forgiveness and grace of God in this life because of their pride and self-rightness.

Hi Sherman, I agree about this life, but I was speaking of the next. Reread my post.

God bless

Hi Pneuma, I apparently do not understand your point. Further clarification please.
Thanks,
Sherman

But the verses about the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit also say that the person doesn’t have forgiveness in the age to come either, right?

Mk.3:29 is longer, more specific than Luke 12:10. I believe Luke 12:10 is a shortened version and thus give priority to Mk. 3:29. And Mk.3.29 notes the blasphemer not being forgiven is εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα (in this age) and does not reference the person’s situation in the age to come. Though of course the person is also subjected to **αἰωνίου κρίσεως ** (supernatural judgment/punishment from God).

As long as a person persists in pride like that of the Pharisees, pride that motivated them to reject Jesus as doing miracles by an unholy spirit instead of recognizing that the miracles were done by the Holy Spirit, such a person will remain in their sin, cut off from the forgiveness, grace, and love of God. And ultimately they will be judged by God and revealed for what they are - hypocrites. Pride comes before a fall. God will arrange circumstances to bring such a person to his knees, breaking his pride if he persists in it. And God does this in His love for that person. In His love, God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble!

So, Sherman, you are following Talbott in interpreting aionios as meaning something like “having it’s causal source in God” or something like that?

Hi Sherman, blaspheme is not forgiven in this age, but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit aionios forgiveness has , but is subject to eternal condemnation.

Meaning that in one of the ages to come (after the millennial age, were they are subject to condemnation) they will be forgiven and allowed to enter within the gates of the city.

So in other words they are not forgiven in this age or the age to come, but rather in one of the ages after the millennial age.

In Mk.3:29 “aionios” (an adjective) does not modify “forgiveness” (aphesis); it does not say “*aionios *forgiveness”. Rather it says “forgiveness in this age” (aion, a noun). “aionios” does modify *krisis *(accusation/judgment/condemnation).

The passage is saying that a person who is hardened against the Holy Spirit cannot in this life recieve the forgiveness of sins and actually lives under a sence of judgment and condemnation from God! Those who refuse to accept the truth about their own wickedness will not recieve the forgiveness of their sins and healing of their souls in this life, in this age. Though God forgives them, they cannot recieve such forgiveness for they refuse to acknowledge their need of forgiveness. The first step towards deliverance/forgiveness is recognizing one’s need of deliverance/forgiveness!

The self-righteous and prideful will continue in their bondage to sin until they admit their need of deliverance and forgiveness. And some people are so prideful and self-righteous that they will continue in bondage to sin until they face the Lord in judgment and are forced to face the evil of their own hearts!

Sherman, you are reading something into my post that I never said.

I never said anything about aionios modifying forgiveness.

Aionios is an adjective for aion which means age. And I thought I made this plain when I said

Meaning that in one of the ages to come (after the millennial age, were they are subject to condemnation) they will be forgiven and allowed to enter within the gates of the city.

So in other words they are not forgiven in this age or the age to come, but rather in one of the ages after the millennial age.

Brother I think you are still misunderstanding me, because when I read

The self-righteous and prideful will continue in their bondage to sin until they admit their need of deliverance and forgiveness. And some people are so prideful and self-righteous that they will continue in bondage to sin until they face the Lord in judgment and are forced to face the evil of their own hearts!

I fully agree.

So let me ask you this question: do you believe that in one of the ages to come those who blaspheme will be forgiven and allowed within the gates of the city?

If you believe this then we are mostly on the same page.

I believe *aionios *is an adjective meant to reference that which is spiritual as opposed to physical, that which transcends-time as opposed to that which is temporal, and yes that which is “from God” as opposed to that which is naturally occuring.

In Mk.3:29 *aionios *modifies *krisis *(accusation, judgement, condemnation). People who refuse to recognize their need of forgiveness and deliverance, live under a sense of accusation, condemnation, and judgment from God. And yet God forgives them and loves them, even for resisting the move of His Spirit. And they’ll continue to live under that sense of condemnation until they repent.

Having lived under that sense of condemnation for many years, I understand it. I was once a Pharisee of Pharisees, hardened against God, prideful and self-righteous. BUT the Lord delievered me, revealing to me His love and forgiveness - and revealing to me my pride and self-righteousness. I’ve experienced a little of the judgment of the Lord and it burnt the Hell out of me. It dealt with my pride and self-righteousness. Shoot, I cried for two weeks one time, broken before the Lord because He showed me the evil of my own heart. And all along before that I thought I was a pretty good Christian, living right, loving people and loving God. But boy did He show me!

So I understand this verse from the perspective of one who was hardened by pride and self-rightness, one who was only delivered by the grace of God revealed in Him judging my sin and accepting me anyhow. I understand Paul saying that he was a blasphemer, and yet God saved him, the worst of all sinners - for that’s how I see myself. There is no sin that is so deceptive as religious pride and self-righteousness. Of all the people that Jesus encountered, the few that angered Him were the prideful and self-righteous religious leaders of His day. I’ve felt that anger and heard the words “Woe to you” (Mt.23) and have thankfully come to realize just how decieved I was. The Truth of God has, is, and will burn the Hell from me!

Yes, must have misunderstood you. I thought that’s what you were saying by “aionios forgiveness has”.

Actually, I believe that the person is already forgiven by God, they just will not receive that forgiveness in this life because they refuse to recognize their own need of forgiveness. In the life to come, they will face the truth of God in Judgment, recognize their need, and recieve God’s forgiveness.

As far as multiple ages to come, I don’t know about that. To me, aion and aionios are non-specific words referencing an age, non-specifice period of time, or even that which transcends time. And we are so limited in our understanding of that which is “eternal”, that which transcends time. It’s kinda like two blind men arguing over shades of green (is the paint forest or olive green)!

Yes, mostly on the same page I believe, recognizing that ultimately the person will recognize his/her need of God and recieve forgiveness. And recongizing that this passage is not talking about a specific act that God has decided that He’ll never forgive. God is much more gracious, loving, merciful, and forgiving that we can imagine! Mercy triumphs over judgment! Hallelujah!

Thanks for clarifying what you meant. I’m a little thick-headed, slow to understand, sometimes.

Blessings,
Sherman