The Evangelical Universalist Forum

A Calvinist interviews an Orthodox

I haven’t read it, nor am I likely to. My initial enthusiasm for the guy - after watching the 2012 video posted by Dave to start this thread - has waned somewhat.

When I attended university (1959-62) in the UK, the writings of his dad Francis were all the rage among the Christian Union (evangelical intelligentsia) back then. I’m uncertain if Frank is a chip off the old block. But, to be fair, I haven’t studied his latest work.

I haven’t read it. I’ve just read the reviews.
I find it strange that he endorses the unchanging beliefs and traditions of the Orthodox Church as the reason he became orthodox and now find out that he has a ‘pick and mix’, ‘accept this bit but not that bit’ sort of attitude.
On abortion he says:
“the religious right’s position on abortion, is a fear of female sexuality”
Wow!! And I thought that I was concerned about the murder of unborn humans! Glad he knows my heart better than myself.

He seems full of contradictions and he hasn’t persuaded me that he has found his spiritual home.
I think there is some Kudos (in the West) in a conversion to Orthodoxy and, like others, I have to guard myself against the ‘kudos’ being an added attraction.
I don’t think that he is a good advert for Orthodoxy

1 Like

This is true. It’s the same thing, as being a “cafeteria Catholic”. Or even a “cafeteria Protestant”. He’s not a good Orthodox representative, from what you describe. It’s one thing to hold “private theological opinions”, as I do - that doesn’t deviate from the overall theology, or moral teachings - of the Orthodox church. It’s another thing to try and steer the boat, in the opposite direction. Why not just join a church, that’s more in accord - with one’s beliefs (i.e. Episcopal church, which accepts anyone)? From the commentary of Norm and Pilgrim, it will probably be a while…before I even consider the book. Besides the Episcopal church, folks can join this church. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yep, read it and really liked it.

Well that in honesty is kind of the point. He has another book called 'Why I Am An Atheist Who Believes in God. I look forward to reading it.

The thing I like about Franks work is he makes me think, challenges long held cherished beliefs that are only valid because someone else says they are. He leans VERY far to the left, but I’m okay with that. Can’t throw the baby out with the bath water aye! :wink:

That’s what I kind of like about him.:clap:

1 Like

Well, here’s the Wiki article on him!

NOT only is he an atheist, but also a liberal Democrat. Liberal Democrat?

On THIS forum!

Kind of reminds me of the feuds, between the North and the South!

Thanks Randy…

But remember he was closer to the religious right than any of us. Front row view, he was in the thick of it. Don’t sweep it away. He’s been there and done it. How many of us can say the same? :roll_eyes:

I’d say I grew up in the religious right, and served people in it, and also became a ‘liberal Democrat.’
No wonder I feel an affection for Schaeffer! :wink:

The stunning insight, that the sterotypical (!) man on the ‘right’ is afraid of women’s sexuality and that carries over into their stance on abortion, is perhaps the single stupidest thing I’ve heard anyone say. No doubt he is ‘spot on’ in everything else he reports. (Yeah right.)

1 Like

Let’s be honest, no one actually would be a calvinist if they were not brainwashed and coerced into it with threats that keep children up all night in fear. It is a dead, nonsensical theology. It only makes sense to people who have been brainwashed to not think for themselves. It shares logic with Monty Pythons Holy Grail and the witch scene!

I think you need to combine, the theology of Calvinism…with the philosophy, of the zombies from Z-Hell (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)…then it makes PERFECT sense, as this article illustrates:

The living-dead Calvinist zombies – as taught by Calvin

Are we willing to say that a stereotype of the religious right is fine, but a stereotype of the Far Left is not ok?

Noone in particular, HF, just whoever the shoe fits.

Isn’t it obvious that this unmatching shoe fits most of us commenting here? :wink:
But “we” would be glad to include you in this royal we.

Oh yes, and then to make things worse, we chide each other for it!

:wink: I promise to never chide you again for insisting stereotypes of the Far Left are not fine.

Chad - the local library did not have the Crazy book, but they did have his Moms, Sex and God so I read a bit of it. I can see why you find him interesting. Provocative certainly. @maintenanceman

If the local library, doesn’t have a particular book - Dave. They can usually give it, through the inter-library loan program. I think they can tap into, most US public and college libraries - via that system.