The Evangelical Universalist Forum

ADCs and NDEs: Their Evidential Value for Apologetics

Lol I don’t personally believe that. But hey maybe I’m wrong and this is right in our universe :stuck_out_tongue:

What do you think of my d mt theory to explain nde and “after” death experiences i posted above? Figured you might get a kick outta the idea.

Interesting. I think some visions, do have scientific reasons. Perhaps brain chemistry, psychosis, organic disease, etc. But some visions are real. And there is something in Native American spirituality, called the vision quest. But the sponsor and/or medicine man or woman…has a pretty good idea, what the visionary experienced…even if they didn’t tell them. And I believe that certain mystics…in the Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Protestant worlds - have valid visions.

Having said that. If you are trying to present things as scientific proof…that you need to follow, the rules of science. Which are professional journals, scientific experiments, etc.

Huffington Post: What is a Vision Quest and Why Do One?

1 Like

I mainly proposed it as a possible explaination off of the few scientific details of the brain during death that I’m aware of. Ill take your line here and say I can’t confirm or deny I know anything about visions personally. But I do think there is some understanding that can be gained by ones own visions. But that ndes and “after deaths” are to vague and often contradictory to uphold as universal truth of what the after life is. Also if it blatantly denies scripture I think it’s more likely a mere hallucination than a revelation.

This is true. But for Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches, it’s both Holy Scripture and Sacred Tradition. And for Native Americans, it’s in accordance with the Great Spirit or Great Mystery (other names for God, in their worlds)…as well as their oral traditions…Or if any vision contradicts these things, then don’t give it too much credence. I might be off shortly, so I might continue our dialogue later.

(14) My next NDE is so unique that it is surely one of the most faith-inspiring. It seems to involve divine control of a tractor. Pastor Dave replaced me after I retired. He shares the testimony of a farmer who lived in the Colfax, WA region. The farmer was ploughing one of his fields, when he reached for something, lost his balance, and fell off the tractor. The huge tractor wheel ran across his chest, crushing ribs, and leaving him seriously injured. But he then had an NDE, during which he was told that his time was not up and he still had a purpose to fulfill on earth.

But he could barely move and his tractor had continued on without a driver and had vanishes over the slope of his field. His situation seemed hopeless, but just then, he saw his driverless tractor returning over the slope where it had vanished. The tractor came towards him. Would it pass him by or crush his body? No, it motored to his left, and then stopped, idling right beside him! With great difficulty, he was able to climb aboard and get to his house, from which his family was able to get him the medical help he needed to survive.

This thread does raise a very serious…theological and philosophical question for me…Can a zombie created by Haitian voodoo…have an NDE or ADC?

But I do believe, then can have a genuine love experience. See video:

Here are 2 astounding NDE testimonies of NDE verifications experienced by 2 very bright and articulate women:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+near-death+experiences&view=detail&mid=F2289C8C40130C72419FF2289C8C40130C72419F&FORM=VIRE

I was curious to see, what the non-denominational site - Got Questions - had to say:

Let me quote from their answer - for reflection:

Answer: A near-death experience (NDE) is when a person is at the brink of death and, upon recovery, reports an unusual occurrence, generally an out-of-body experience or some sort of vision of heaven or hell. There is no specific scriptural support for near-death experiences. Many people use 2 Corinthians 12:2-5 as a biblical proof text of near-death experiences. However, this is taking great liberty with interpretation and makes the assumption that the man (presumed to be Paul) was either near death or actually dead when he found himself in heaven. The passage nowhere states that the man had died or come close to death. It was a vision that God gave the man of heaven, not a near-death experience.

That being said, it is not impossible for God to give someone near death, or anyone for that matter, a vision of heaven. However, with the completion of the biblical canon, visions are not a normative experience for Christians.

We need to be extremely careful in how we validate our experiences. The most important test of any experience is comparing it with the Bible. Satan is always ready to cause deception and twist people’s thinking. “But I am not surprised! Even Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light. So, it is no wonder his servants can also do it by pretending to be godly ministers. In the end, they will get every bit of punishment their wicked deeds deserve” (2 Corinthians 11:14-15).

Because the Bible is silent regarding near-death experiences, and scientific research has not been able to be performed reliably, we simply cannot accept the legitimacy of near-death experiences on their face value. It would be too strong to state that all near-death experiences are faked, imagined, or Satanic, but there are still serious concerns, biblically, about the validity of near-death experiences. Again, any description of a near-death experience should be validated against the truth of Scripture. If such an experience comes from God, it will line up with what He has already revealed in His Word and ultimately bring Him glory in the name of Jesus Christ.

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie: “However, with the completion of the biblical canon, visions are not a normative experience for Christians.”

On the contrary, NDEs are visionary experiences and Peter teaches that visionary experiences are characteristic of “the last days,” and not just of the apostolic era:
“IN THE LAST DAYS, it will be, God declares, I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh…Your young men shall see visions (Acts 2:18-18; citing Joel 2: 28).”

Second, this thread is about ADCs, not just NDEs, and you ignore this distinction. In fact, you pontificate from ignorance without having the integrity to watch the videos and read the very accounts you dismiss.

Third, your GotQuestions poster is poorly informed about the awesome evidences that so often confirms the validity of NDEs and ADCs and is unaware of the special category of shared death experiences that provide some of the best evidence for NDEs. Indeed, Jesus’ resurrection is a good example of shared death experiences, but the evidence for NDEs and ADCs is far superior to that for Jesus’ resurrection.

Fourth, you duck the biblical and ancient Jewish evidence that the OP cites in support of a belief in ADCs.

Actually, I have studied ADB and NDE accounts. I just don’t try to “sell” them, as proof of anything. They do have their purpose. And more scientific research is needed, in this area. In fact, being a lifetime member…of the Theosophical Society in America (mainly for their library resources)…I have seen professional presenters, on this very topic…with outstanding credentials to boot. So in some cases, I believe they are very real. In other cases, I think there are valid scientific explanations for them. I also think you should look into the Tibetan Light ( 1, 2) traditions.

I really, REALLY do hope…you are not hanging out, with that wise chap named Socrates…and his friend Frankenstein…when they are drinking wine, smoking some “interesting” stuff and Socrates playing the violin…It would explain words like “but the evidence for NDEs and ADCs is far superior to that for Jesus’ resurrection.”…And “out the awesome evidences that so often confirms the validity of NDEs and ADCs and is unaware of the special category of shared death experiences that provide some of the best evidence for NDEs.”

“You ought to forgive others. Sometimes, the dark deed of others is due to inner struggles and fears. With your shining light and kind deeds, you will help them to turn to the light.”-- Lailah Gifty Akita

This author claims to have left his body & gone to hell, experienced its sufferings, & learned from Jesus that they are endless:

He was interviewed on converted to Christ Jew Sid Roth’s show “It’s Supernatural”:

Roth ends the show (@ 25 minutes in +) agreeing there is ECT, yet adding even if there wasn’t hell, who would want to miss knowing the love of God in this life.

One critique of the author’s book remarked:

“…not all Catholics believe this garbage. In fact, many don’t…there are countless articles published tarnishing Wiese’s credibility and exposing the inconsistencies of his book”

https://web.archive.org/web/20101123161649/http://www.northern-iowan.org/23-minutes-of-nonsense-1.2411247

Here’s the Wiki article:

Here’s the Belief Net recap:

And here’s my FAVORITE version of hell. Please note that I have shared the same central vision…by 3 DIFFERENT and UNRELATED persons:

Once again, Holy Fool and others demonstrate their irrational need to preemptively explain away compelling NDE and ADC afterlife evidence without being willing to engage the hard work of critical engagement with the new cases I provide that \decisely refute all the standard lazy dodges that keep their biases out of date, out of new ideas, and out to lunch. Here now is the the most famous evidential NDE case with empirical verification by a medical professional:

Evidence of what? That there is an afterlife? This “evidence” is supposed to convince atheists that there is an afterlife? If it’s such “hard work” for atheists to weigh this “evidence” & few of them are even capable of doing so, where in it is “Their Evidential Value for Apologetics”? Even if convinced, unlesss the Holy Spirit convicts them, what does it avail (how would they know which afterlife of which of the many religions is the true one):

John 16: 8 And having come, He will convict the world concerning sin, and concerning righteousness, and concerning judgment: 9 concerning sin indeed, because they do not believe in Me;

1 Cor.1: 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel; not in wisdom of discourse, so that the cross of the Christ should not be emptied of its power.

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those indeed perishing, but to us being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it has been written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;

and the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”b

20 Where is the wise man ? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know God, God was pleased through the foolishness of the proclamation to save those believing.

22 Forasmuch as both Jews ask for signs, and Greeks seek wisdom, 23 we, however, preach Christ having been crucified, a stumbling block indeed to the Jewish and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but those called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God stronger than men.

These are “pick and choose” cases. Please note that I have shared the same central vision …by 3 DIFFERENT and UNRELATED persons…regarding zombies and Hell (1, 2, 3, 4), in the end-times and tribulation. Why do YOU ignore those cases, because you DON’T like them? But promote YOUR cases, because you LIKE them? IS that TRUE science??

If a “medical doctor” or “PhD scientist”, talked positively about UFOs, Zombies, ghosts, Flat Earth, etc…would you BELIEVE him or her - because of THEIR credentials ONLY?

Like, do you BELIEVE this guy?

Or THIS guy?

“You may be the only person left who believes in you, but it’s enough. It takes just one star to pierce a universe of darkness. Never give up.”-- Richelle E. Goodrich

First, NDEs and ADCs are far, far more effective in converting atheists than conventional Christian apologetics.
Second, your arguments are akin to someone dismissing breakthroughs in modern medical disocoveries on the grounds that there are many snakeoil salesmen out there. The fact is that deductive proof is impossible in matters of postmortem survival; the issue is what is persuasive. My challenge is this: Watch all the posted videos and read all my accounts with an open mind and you will literally be incapable of retaining your skepticism. Is anyone out there honest enough to take up my challenge? I think not.

Tell me WHY I should watch videos you post? Did YOU watch the videos I posted? Deciding what is REAL and what is SNAKE Oil, is a matter of perspective. That is why scientific research, scientific journals, academic rebuttals, etc. - are for. If you LOVE those videos and it helps to “increase your faith”, then run with it.

What is it about people whose deceased loved ones return, drive vehicles, and provide detailed information about their investments that you don’t understand as evidence for the percipients?
And I promise you that if you can demonstrate that you have watched all my videos and read all my accounts, I will in turn watch all your videos. In short, I will do practically anything to lure you out of your spiritually suffocating myopic ideological box.

How do YOU know it’s NOT demonic activity, psychosis, hallucinations, etc?

Well, I have seen how inconsolable grief was almost instantly erased, how lives were changed, and how Leonard’s will settlement problems were greatly simplified by the information provided by his discarnate son. Your question is so absurd it invites that question, “How do you know that Jesus’ resurrection appearances were nothing but a combination of demonic deception and hallucinations?”