The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Challenge

For UR to be true there must be people who are not found recorded in the book of life after the final judgment being re-judged and being found in the book of life to be able to enter in the New Jerusalem and the New Earth. God must follow the same standard as established in Rev 20:11-15 otherwise HE would show favoritism. The penalty of the judgment in Rev 20:11-15 is final unless you can show scripture support of people exiting the lake of fire and being added to the book of life while being judged again before the throne of God. There is no way around this whether you acknowledge it or not…Most EU concede there are no more judgments after Rev 20:11-15…therefore if you can’t prove God changing his verdict in Rev 20:11-15 your other points are moot. To teach anything to be truth it must be found recorded in scripture. To my knowledge…I find zero support of this happening, and a lot of support against it! Look forward to your responses. God bless.

Show this final judgement in Rev 20:11-15 being reversed and recorded in scripture or UR’s foundation is built upon sinking sand and not the solid ROCK. Matt 7:24-27.

Matthew 20:1-16 is an example of God showing such “favouritism”
this i think goes along way to establishing precedent.

here’s essentially what you’re saying.

two people are up for robbery. they are both offered the charges being dropped if only they admit to having done the crime.
Robber A says “you got me bang to rights, gov, i admit it” and is let off.
Robber B refuses, assuming it’s a trap, and pleads innocent.

Robber A has the charges dropped, and is restored into society.
Robber B ends up in prison for a finite sentence until his crime is paid for, and then he is set free.

there is no further judgement needed as Robber B has paid for his crime.

Robber B is then re-assimilated into society.

now, try and read through up to and including chapter 22.

exactly what nations need healing in the city? there is no way around this. this is the end of judgement, and the restoration of the rebel nations, who are healed. note also that it says in 22:3 that there is no longer any curse.
death is a curse.
hell (if it existed) would be a curse.
curses are a punishment, as exemplified in the OT law, and by Paul who talks about the “curse of the law”.
if there is no more curse, HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IN ANY CORNER OF THE UNIVERSE THAT THERE WOULD BE ANYONE STILL BEING PUNISHED AS A CURSE FOR THEIR SINS, WHICH ARE A CURSE AGAINST GOD?

the very fact that no evil doers will be allowed into the City, whose gates never shut, is evidence that those people are no longer evil doers.

there’s your evidence.
there is no way around this.
if you can’t explain this, than your other points are moot.
to my knowledge…i find zero support of ECT happening, and alot of support against it!
there’s really no point in looking forward to your responses, as you won’t listen to reason.
God bless

Interesting question. I am not sure, I think I can agree with CL that the judgement is final, but the punishment will fit the crimes for those who reject God’s free pardon through the Gospel, and that doesn’t even get to the question of those who never heard. But the idea that the punishment is forever with no hope is just absurd. In the arminian version God loves unbelievers, until they die, then all of a sudden he hates them at that point and he dooms them forever, kind of makes him out to be a wacko father, someone I wouldn’t trust my soul to! the Calvinist version makes more sense, but then you have God hating most of his creation before they are even born. Can’t trust that god either, since the chances of being one of the “elect” are really quite slim.

If people that were formerly excluded are suddenly being included, then we don’t need an exact account of how they got from excluded to included; it’s enough that the text affirms that they are now included. So when the kings of the earth and the nations are included after formerly being excluded, well, there you have it. :slight_smile:

God is no respecter of persons. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Actually, the way I understand these passages is people being born again into the kingdom of God and serving God(fulfilling the ministry call of their life) until Jesus comes back. The reward ( the penny) being the crown of life or righteousness in ( James 1:12; 2 Tim 4:8). Everyone receives this reward from the last to the first! Praise God!

As far as Rev 22:3…I will hold my interpretation for later.

For your theory to be correct the only defense you have is the kings of the earth in Rev 19:19-21 have to be the kings of the earth in Rev 21:24 after Rev 14:9-11 explains the impossibility of this. The weakness in this defense is that there is zero scripture support for this and scripture against it. I will hold back who I believe the kings of the the earth to be in Rev 21:24 for later. :wink:

Revival,

For your theory to be correct the only defense you have is the kings of the earth in Rev 19:19-21 have to be the kings of the earth in Rev 21:24 after Rev 14:9-11 explains the impossibility of this. The weakness in this defense is that there is zero scripture support for this and scripture against it. I will hold back who I believe the kings of the the earth to be in Rev 21:24 for later.

So you’re saying John, without giving any indication that he was doing so, has radically redefined terms that had a consistent meaning throughout the entire book, for the specific purpose of upholding your theology? That’s… optimistic, I guess, but it doesn’t sound like good, context-driven exegesis to me.

God loves all people that is why He gave us free-will to choose Him. He doesn’t force himself on anyone to violate their will. God says choose life or death. Choose life. That is why it is appointed for man to die once then comes judgement.

I’m testing UR’s foundation to the core…For UR to be true the final judgment in Rev 20;11-15 must be reversed and recorded in scripture or your foundation is built upon sinking sand and not upon the solid ROCK. Matt 7:24-27.

I’m testing UR’s foundation to the core…For UR to be true the final judgment in Rev 20:11-15 must be reversed and recorded in scripture or your foundation is built upon sinking sand and not upon the solid ROCK. Matt 7:24-27.

LOL – Aaron, last time around several threads and thousands of words were expended on this topic. You weren’t convinced of our position then, nor were we convinced of yours. I’m really not sure why you want to do this all over again – for me, I don’t see the point.

If you’d like to refresh your memory, Aaron, or for anyone else who wants to see what we’ve already talked about with Aaron, here are a few of those old threads:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=945&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=931&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

EDIT: I have been informed by Aaron that his current beliefs are not exactly the same as what was expressed in these linked threads. I’ve invited him to share how his beliefs have changed since then, but I’m leaving these links here, as I suspect his beliefs have remained mostly the same. If not, please do share, Aaron.

Sonia

Concerning the lake of the fire and the burning brimstone note:

1. Revelation, being apocalyptic literature is best interpreted artistically, not systematically, metaphorically, not literally.
  2. Revelation can be interpreted from at least 4 significantly different perspectives - spiritualist, preterist, historist, and futurist. The spiritualist and preterist perspectives do not see the lake of fire as being something that will happen some day, but something that has and is happening - the fiery judgment of God. I don’t think anyone would be wise to build a systematic theology on the short movie clips (visions) described in Revelation. Revelation was meant to inspire, not meant to present didactic material.
  3. It’s likely this was a reference to the lake we call the Dead Sea upon whose shores are the ash remains of Sodom and the other 4 cities destroyed by fire and brimstone. The Dead Sea during the time of John was known as a land of fire. And today geologists confirm gas pockets underneath the Dead Sea which when vent can with but a spark produce flames coming out of the water. The area is known for its asphalt that bubbles up from under the lake and the presence of tar pits surrounding the lake. If these catch fire they produce vast amounts of smoke. It is an intolerable place where live cannot grow, and yet many people go there for various ailments, especially skin and lung problems.
  4. Brimstone, sulfur, theon, was burnt as incense for spiritual purification and physical healing in ancient Greek and Roman cultures. And sulfur is still used today in folk remedies and is the basis for many medicines. The dual nature of brimstone and fire is interesting, speaks of judgment, destruction and yet speaks of restoration and healing.
  5. Note that after the lake of the fire and the burning brimstone scene, the Lamb and the Bride still offer those outside the city to come in and the gates of the city are open. So unless they are doing something that is completely useless, it seems to show that it is still possible for people to come in.
  6. Note that after the lake of the fire and the burning brimstone, the nations and the kings who are not part of the Bride, who were before aligned with the anti-Christ and suffered under the wrath of God are seen paying homage to God.

So “IF” one interprets this passage futuristically, I don’t see how one gets around affirming the opportunity for post-mortem salvation, and even the post-mortem salvation of the nations and kings. Of course, some who interpret Revelation from a spiritualistic perspective see in this movie clip (vision) an inspiring message of salvation that comes after we experience the judgment of God in the present. We all must accept the truth concerning our sin and need for God to be motivated to respond to the ever-reaching invitation of the Lamb.

Revelation is the most challenging book of the NT to understand and interpret because it is not didactic or historical narrative, but is apocalyptic, a series of visions with wild imagery, a style of writing common during the first century. It was meant to encourage those under persecution with the message that Good Triumphs in the end, so hand in there and be faithful, be good, do what is right.

P.S. Because Revelation is apocalyptic literature, even if it pictured an individual king or person responding to the invitation of the Lamb and walking out of the Dead Sea, I wouldn’t build a whole theology around it. It would be a point, but not a major one because the style of literature does not lend itself to interpreting it systematically.

Sonia,
I respectfully ask you to remove your post for some of the things in those links I no longer support. Please allow this discussion to go on without the influence of my past discussion with Jason. Thank you.

Thanks Sherman for your response. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. Are you saying the book of Revelation is too hard for the Holy Spirit to teach us to understand? The Holy Spirit is a way better teacher than we are students…Amen? If the Holy Spirit is doing the teaching, He gives the same truth of doctrine to every person and church ( let that sink in). If we are leaving the Holy Spirit out from teaching how can we accurately say we understand the Bible or the book of Revelation? Why do you think we have 30,000 denominations and many flavors of UR? Because we leave the Holy Spirit out and lift verses out of context and start false doctrines and denominations.

If we’re talking more broadly about the Lake of Fire, I feel it’s appropriate to post another entry from my defense of UR at the other forum. So here we go:

The passages I’m discussing in this post are sort of the “clincher” for a fair number of people. They are both in Revelation, passages that describe Hell as a “Lake of Fire.” The first, Revelation 14:9-11, reads thus:

*Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.” *

The second is in Revelation 20:10, and reads thus:

And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

I have seen these passages approached in various ways by different Universalists (and even by non-Universalists). But I think a little discussion of Revelation as a whole is in order. Revelation, from beginning to end, is a divine vision full of symbols and prophetic imagery. The first three chapters are letters to the churches of Asia Minor, and after that, John experiences some kind of eschatological vision. We have beasts and giant women and dragons and all sorts of other things. And the vast majority of it is symbolic. Almost all of it is prophetic imagery.

We do not really expect to see a giant beast come out of the sea, or one come from the lamb, or a giant woman with a star crown, or another giant woman named Babylon whoring herself out while riding a beast, or any of that. And I think if pressed, MOST of us in this thread would say we don’t expect people to literally be thrown into a lake of fire. The lake itself is symbolic for the reality of Hell–a circumstance of being separated from the grace of God. Most would probably express the idea that the “Mark of the Beast” is as symbolic as the “Name of the Beast” and that’s as symbolic as the Beast itself. And this is where we begin.

Now, I’ve gotten into trouble, mostly with premillennial dispensationalists, for arguing from this angle. I had one guy say, “Yeah, yeah, nothing is literal anymore!” and go on to question whether I thought the Gospels themselves were “literal.” And, yes, of course the Gospels are literal–but the parables aren’t. They’re symbolic stories. And Revelation is a symbolic vision. This is basic stuff, but I want to emphasize that I hold this perspective, and a lot of what I will say comes from this perspective, and most of historic Christianity has held this perspective.

Throughout Revelation, one finds references to the Old Testament prophets. Some have counted well over a hundred of them and some rather fewer, depending on how unambiguous one insists they must be. But the passages in question have in common an Old Testament reference that I find rather interesting. It comes from Isaiah 34:9-10, which reads as follows:

Its streams will be turned into pitch,
And its loose earth into brimstone,
And its land will become burning pitch.
It will not be quenched night or day;
Its smoke will go up forever.
From generation to generation it will be desolate;
None will pass through it forever and ever.

This is a prophecy about Edom, one of Israel’s great enemies. According to the prophecy, God will burn it up so badly that no one will pass through it forever and, indeed, that its smoke will never cease to rise. It will not be quenched, we are told, night or day. This is the same sort of language we find in the Lake of Fire, and as far as I can see, it’s being used for the same sort of purpose. How does Isaiah use this language? Is he speaking “literally” here? Is he really trying to convey the idea that Edom will never stop burning, that the land will burn and not be passed through “forever and ever”?

Of course not.

All of this language is used to say something, not about the duration of judgment, but about its magnitude. Isaiah doesn’t want to convey anything at all about how long it will last, but rather about how intense it will be. Are we to believe that John has borrowed this language, this imagery, in order to convey something utterly different? It seems doubtful to me. And for me, I could end it there. We already know the judgment will be awful. We know it will be destructive. We know it will utterly ruin those that face it. Universalists and non-Universalists agree on all those things. What we do not agree on is whether it will be eternal or forever or irrevocable. And none of that seems to be what John is trying to convey through his use of this language.

In the words of the late, great Billy Mays, “But wait–there’s more!”

Revelation, for all its symbolism, for all its sometimes esoteric visions, tells a story that really isn’t all that hard to understand. The Devil and his agents are pitted against God and His, and the former has control over two major groups of people: “the nations” and “the kings of the Earth.” Sure, there’s a remnant from the nations that’s taken out and saved, but the nations as a whole and the kings of the Earth are unequivocally the enemies of God. Every time they show up anywhere in the book, they are God’s enemies. They fornicate with the Whore of Babylon, worship the Beast and his image, and all sorts of other nasty things. They’re the bad guys.

Well, until the end of the book.

At some point, presumably after they’re thrown into the Lake of Fire (since they aligned themselves with the Beast in 19:19), we suddenly find the Kings of the Earth coming into the Holy City. What’s more, we find the nations being healed by the leaves from the Tree of Life. What’s even MORE, the nations are walking by the light of the Holy City. The ending of this book has those that were the enemies of God for the entire book, till the bitter end, finding a much happier ending than the “forever” language of the Lake would anticipate.

Now, there are other possible ways to understand this rather striking turnabout. The most common seems to be that this is a special subset of the kings and nations that weren’t hostile to God. But to insist upon that is, of course, to insist that without any discussion, John has redefined his terms. These groups are uniformly condemned and then uniformly saved. He doesn’t speak in terms of remnants, or parts, or anything like that in the relevant sections (and the fact that he does in other sections says that he could have if he wanted; he was not averse to “remnant” language).

Another possibility sometimes suggested is that these are new kings and new nations, but is that what John suggests by having them come in from outside the city (21:24)? It doesn’t seem to be. No, this seems, unless we’re willing to do some strange exegesis, to be the same group that he’s been talking about this whole time. Only this is that group reconciled at some point after the judgment and the Lake of Fire. And that can only mean one thing: that the Lake of Fire, while a terrible destination, is not the final one for those that God has set out to reconcile.

And so the end of the Book brings with it the hope of a new world, a world in which God’s purposes are fulfilled, His justice complete, His wrath spent, and His salvation brought to all. The story of Scripture–Creation, Fall, Redemption, Salvation–is brought to its intended conclusion here, and as an earlier proponent of UR wrote, “All God’s enemies shall perish, not that they cease to exist, but cease to be enemies.”

I really do appreciate your response. I respect it. You have identified the kings of the earth in Rev 21:24 as being the same kings in the earth in Rev 19 (a move that was anticipated for it is really your only defense to hold on to UR). Where is it recorded of this reconciliation actually happening after the final judgment? If no record, why would you believe this reconciliation actually happening after the final judgment when its not found recorded in God’s word? If you can’t produce any record are you not just assuming or guessing the kings of the earth in Rev 19 are the same in Rev 21:24, yes? Is this an example of strange exegesis?

Could these kings of the earth be the same kings of the earth mentioned in Rev 1:5-6? Jesus says he is the prince of the kings of the earth. Who are these kings of the earth? they are believers in Christ. We are kings and priests in God when we accept Jesus.

Now, Rev 21:24 reads ‘And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it’

In the millennial reign of Christ all the kings of the earth will be saved. So, does it not stand to reason that these kings of the earth come from the millennial reign go through the final judgment and bring their glory and honor into the New Jerusalem?

Now to address Rev 22:2. Could the healing of the leaves be for the millennial nations that need healing?

Aaron Really? How can we freely choose him or not when I can hardly figure out who he is? If you can prove that people actually know god in a way that they can really see his love and that he is the source of all goodness, and yet still will reject him, then I will accept that they might be lost. Good luck :wink:

Aaron, the discussions are on our site for all to see. My removing the links from this thread will not change that. And, by the way, there were quite a few people contributing to those discussions besides Jason. I’m posting those links here so people can easily find them. I feel it is only fair for people to be able to see what they’re getting themselves into in a discussion with you, and to see what ground has already been covered. There’s no point in people wasting their time re-hashing the same ineffective arguments which have already been repeatedly and thoroughly discussed. Of course they are welcome to do so anyway if they wish – it’s a good exercise anyway.

I will edit my post to let people know your beliefs are not exactly what were expressed at that time. Have your beliefs changed significantly? Would you like to provide a brief account of how your beliefs have changed, to save us some time?

Sonia

Throughout the gospels Jesus displays God’s love in miracles, in healings,in casting out devils, in teachings and doctrine. Jesus says I have come to do the will and the works of my Father…if you seen me you have seen the Father…yet most of the religious Pharisee and Jews rejected him and wanted to kill him. There were some disciples who turned their backs on Jesus even after seeing all the miracles and healings. John 6:60-66.

:confused: :open_mouth:

Aaron, also known as Revival;

Define first for us, what you mean by “Book of Life”? What is it? And what is your proof of your definition?

Secondly, regarding the postmortem re-judgement of those having already passed through the Lake of Fire, see this;

I would add that those who are not in the Book of Life, I could safely conclude are those who are “dead”; those who have not “died” to Death and Sin (lost their lives to find their living lives in Christ, who is Life and gives life in abundance). And I would also conclude that the judgement of the “Lake of Fire, which is the second death” or being thrown into it being the second death, is the final means by which dead men are made to die to Sin and Death and so come to Life, and to the full knowledge of the Truth, taking up The Way - all of which are Jesus Christ, and done by Jesus Christ.

Their second judgement that you seek, is their redemption when their knees, and their mouths join the “every knee, and every mouth” to give glory to God by their free will and love, in Spirit and in Truth (which is the only worship that God will accept as being unto his glory), confess that He is Lord and swear allegiance, unto the glory of God. The re-judgement post-judgement that you are looking for is the return of the prodigal son to the arms of his father away from the judgement of the swine troth. It is not a post-judgement judgement, it is a post-judgement reception after the redemption, purification, sanctification, correction, and in the case of this judgement, perfection of the once dead, once lost child now returned Home.

The Biblical theme is constant, in Israel’s history, and in Christ’s parables of the lost sheep, and prodigal son; as well as in Christ’s actions - “forgive them they know not what they do” and Christ’s purpose “save the world”. There is always redemption and returning after the passage of Judgement has achieved its corrective end.

Post-judgement re-judgement is therefore, not a second bringing before the throne for another court session but Biblically it is immediately expressed as redemption and returning.

<Edit: minor edits made for clarity>

<Minor edits made to the above post for clarity - didn’t want it to be missed>