The Evangelical Universalist Forum

CoJ: Chapters 26 & 27

Contents and chapter links
Previous chapter

[size=150]Chapter 26: Onward And Upward[/size]

___“I am ready for supper, now!” Gaekwar’s drawl was absent.
___Seifas shook his head. “We were fortunate we found nothing on this level—”
___“‘Fortunate’?!” interrupted Portunista.
___“But,” continued Seifas firmly, “we should scout one level more, before we camp tonight.”
___“Why?” insisted Dagon.
___“Safety,” nodded Othon.
___“It’s not like we’ll be sleeping up there!” persisted Gaekwar.
___“No,” Pooralay sighed, “y’re sleepin’ down here. Where somethin’ might still come t’ getcha.”
___Gaekwar froze in mid-retort; then also sighed. “Never mind. Let’s just do it…”
___The stairway wound along the Tower wall, up through another median. Instead of any open room this time, it passed a single door, set in the inner wall which paralleled the outer curve.
___The sun had set; and through the narrow open window opposite the door, the stars were shining in their nightly blaze. The stairs wound onward into a gloom above.
___“Seifas—how many more floors?” Portunista asked.
___“Only one. The top—where Qarfax died. He slept and took his meals up there. We figured this was where he worked; he often used this door, but warned us—”
___“—never to touch it,” several voices chorused.
___“Well, ‘ista, go on!” said Dagon. “This is where you wanted to be!”
___She flatly glared at him.
___“Pooralay, check the door,” she ordered, not even looking toward it. She noticed he worked more quickly than before; maybe he was hungry, too…
___“Sigils all over th’ frame,” reported the little man, continuing his sweep.
___“Of course there are,” she sneered at Dagon. “He would guard his laboratory.”
___“An’ th’ handle’s false,” the thug concluded, leaning back to rest.
___“What?!” Portunista turned and stared.
___“Handle’s just for looks. Hey, jaguar! Y’ever ac’shl’y see th’ mage go in?”
___“Once,” Seifas answered. “Others did as well. He used the handle—but, I saw he also put his palm upon this plate.” He indicated near the door, a finely arabesqued rectangular slate.
___Portunista was already chuffing softly, in contemplation.
___“Flog it,” she muttered a minute later, and wiped the Yrthe from her eyes. “I don’t know what the sigils do. I mean, they act as a lock, awaiting a key—that’s obvious—but what the key is or how it works, I haven’t any clue.”
___“Anything else you saw or heard?” the Krygian asked the juacuar, who only shook his head. “So,” Dagon mused, “I suppose that means the magus wasn’t jotting to make it work.”
___“That helps us, doesn’t it?”
___Dagon blinked at Jian’s sincere remark; and so did Portunista. But the Easterner’s inference did make sense…
___“No jotting,” she perused. “Gloves, Seifas? Maybe a ring?”
___“He did wear rings,” the juacuar confirmed. “No gloves.”
___“So maybe only the hand,” she said. “I think if such a lock required a ring, the plate would have an appropriate shape.”
___“Too bad,” Othon sighed. They looked at him. “No hand.”
___“Yeah,” Pooralay winced, “that’s right. A pile-a dust upstairs.”
___A minute passed.
___“Well, that’s it!” Gaekwar gave a single clap and turned around. “I’m off to start the fire—!”
___“Hold!” commanded Portunista. “We aren’t out of options yet! If the sigils have been inscribed to read his handprints, those might still be found in his room.”
___“You’re kidding,” Dagon said; but Pooralay was nodding.
___“Yeah,” he agreed, “it’s poss’ble. Some tape and powd’r might do th’ trick; which o’course I happen t’ have. Betcha got some powd’r, too, hm?” Portunista ignored his tease; as a matter of fact, she did have some talcum powder. She would use his, however.
___“Or,” she moved along, a little sourly, “if these sigils need a ring, it might be somewhere up the stairs.”
___“In his pile of ash!” suggested Jian.
___“Or,” the maga forcefully concluded, drowning that unnerving image, “if they need his living flesh, we still may be in luck.”
___“Y’think he kep’ a spare hand inna jar, up in his room?!”
___“Woman’s secret,” she smiled mysteriously. Blank looks confirmed that only she knew where to find his living flesh.
___“I’ll be lighting the fire downstairs.” The ‘cowherd’ hastily turned again—
___“I will need you all to help me search!—so come along!” Portunista marched upstairs, sending the wisplight on in front.
___“We’re gonna end up in all these rooms before the night is over,” muttered Gaekwar; but he followed along obediently.
___After one more half-turn around the Tower, Portunista reached the final door, also set in the inner wall.

___There it was.
___Here she was!
___This was it—the real beginning—everything she had been hoping and dreaming about!

___Dagon, though, provided some perspective.
___“It doesn’t bother you at all a Cadrist died in there?!” he nervously snapped from several steps below.
___Her neck popped icy water beads. She had, in fact, forgotten that completely in her eagerness; despite Jian’s casual comment only a minute ago. Had he been reminding her, politely…? No matter. She firmed her voice before she answered:
___“Not in the least!”
___“Crazy minx…” floated up from down around the curve, but Portunista couldn’t tell who said it. Part of her mind decided it wasn’t Jian, however, and…What did she care what anyone thought?! Jian included!
___“Step aside, and let me get t’ work. No plate up here,” Pooralay added for the men below who couldn’t see the door. “I guess that’s how the jaguar got inside.”
___“Go ahead,” she said, more calmly than she felt.
___What might she find inside—waiting for them?
___Waiting for her.
___She forcibly recalled her logic about their chances…

___“Complet’ly clean,” the thug announced, disgustedly. “Wasn’t even locked.” He cursed himself in mutters, for not attempting the Tower earlier…
___“That means Qarfax wasn’t keeping important things up here…” Dagon was probably right, Portunista had to admit…But flay his bones!—he didn’t have to sound so smug about it!
___“Not in here, perhaps,” she said defiantly, “but he didn’t place that sigilplate downstairs for nothing!”
___“So, go on in!” the Krygian said.
___“All right!..I will!”

___…but she didn’t.
___a Cadrist had been brutally slain inside this room…
___…and she…
___was only an apprentice…

___A minute crawled across her.

___Then Dagon said that Jian should be let past so he could go in first…
___“Okey-doke!” agreed the irrepressible man.
___“What if a Roguent’s in there?” That was Gaekwar.
___“Oh…um… I’ll tell it there are people more worth eating somewhere else than Qarfax’s room!”
___Portunista sighed. Could Jian take nothing seriously—?!

___…she didn’t want to see his helpful cheerfulness scraped rawly away in bloody screams, along with his face and his chest and—

___“I will go,” she said.
___And she did.

[size=150]Chapter 27: Living, Unliving and Chafing[/size]

___Portunista arced the wisp into the room, as she thumbed the latch and pushed the door part-open, bracing it while kneeling, hoping any attacks would be directed where she wasn’t.
___Not that this would likely fool a Rogue…
___She shot more whistled lights to every quarter of the room, as well as near the center. Then she rolled, half upright, through the door.
___She had to force herself to see…because she didn’t want to see…would she be driven mad before the torment…?

___She only saw a large, well-furnished bedroom.

___“Nice roll, doll…”
___Portunista couldn’t tell if Pooralay was making fun; and decided she didn’t care.
___The bedroom of a Cadrist…
___She would have a room like this, one day, she promised herself, slowly standing, quieting down her nerves, marveling in the opulence.
___In fact, she could have one tonight! No one else would want to sleep up here, inside a dead man’s room.
___Besides—she was leader. She could requisition any room she wanted.
___Most importantly, she would do this to defy her fear…
___“Are you dead yet?” Dagon’s inquiry floated up the stairs and through the door.
___“Still alive, thanks for asking! You can come in now! Be careful, though,” she added as the door swept open. “There’s a dead man on the floor.”
___“Yeah,” the thug observed, respectfully. “Sort of.”
___Several paces away from the door, deposited as if at random, lay the pile of ash. And some clothes and rings, and other things.
___“Eerie,” Gaekwar murmured as he entered, darting his attention and the disker three directions all at once, and fingering his axe’s shaft. Othon entered last—and even then, the room did not feel smaller. Pooralay was lighting lamps.
___“Nice bed,” Dagon nodded. “Big enough to hold us all…”
___“Tonight just me,” said Portunista.
___“What?! You can’t be serious!”
___She sighed, while poking through pillows: “I have a headache…” She might have to find a comb or brush…
___“That isn’t what I…never mind,” Dagon sulked. “Whenever that thing comes back tonight, don’t yell too loudly or else you’ll wake us up downstairs…What are you doing??”
___She smiled triumphantly. “Living flesh from Qarfax!” she announced…
___…and held up a hair.
___“That counts as living flesh?” Gaekwar asked.
___“The root of it does.” Portunista brought it over to show him and the other subcommanders. By the lamplight, they could see the tiny bottom glob. “If you don’t yank the root, the hair keeps coming back. We won’t need any powder!” she told Pooralay. “Come on, I want to try it on the plate right now!” She pushed past everyone.
___“Closer to the firepit, closer to the food, I guess…” Gaekwar sighed and followed after.
___But Pooralay and Jian were crouching near the remains; Seifas paused to watch and listen.
___“Either almost instantly,” Jian was speaking in a hushed evaluation, “or, he was held somehow. Right?”
___“Yeah…” the thug agreed. “Pretty good, kid.”
___Jian acknowledged his compliment with a small and sober smile, as he stood. “Only a pile, not a trail,” he said to Seifas as they left, with Pooralay not far behind. “The fabrics are in the dust-pile, too. He wasn’t moving.”
___Portunista waited for everyone to join her at the locked-door landing. She was certain this would work—her smile was swelling just about to bursting! Now they all would see her victory, and so she turned to touch the follicle to—
___“Hey, Portunista!” It was Jian.
___“What?” she snapped, annoyed at the interruption.
___“So, what is your powder for?”
___She blinked for several moments… “What?!”
___“Well, Pooralay has some powder for lifting fingerprints, although it doesn’t seem we’ll need it. I just wondered what you used yours for,” he pleasantly inquired.
___She glared at him a moment. “Chafing,” she flatly said.
___“Oh. Just curious. I thought it might be makeup, since, y’know, you are a woman…”
___“Jian!” she grated. What moronic conversation was this?! Granted, she did always bring some things of that sort in her belt-pockets, just in case she needed touching up before a meeting—she was brigade commander, after all—but…Scourge him! This was supposed to be her moment of triumph! It was not supposed to be a lecture on a woman’s uses for talcum powder…!
___“Chafing,” Othon agreed.
___Portunista felt invisible strings, dragging her head around in his direction. Pulling off a gauntlet, the gargantuan man unbuttoned a pouch on his own belt. With his hairy-fingered ham of a hand, he pulled a tiny vial from which, uncorked, he gently tapped into the gauntlet’s leather lining.
___“Helps the skin stay drier. Makes the cloth and leather less abrasive. Keeps the smell down, too.”
___“That makes sense!” Jian was intensely interested. “I sure wish I had some of that.”
___“Here. I have plenty.”
___“Thanks!” Jian pocketed two of the flat tiny vials. “Which reminds me, I really should put on my gloves…”
___If someone had told Portunista that the longest string of words from Othon’s mouth she’d ever hear would be about some talcum powder…
___She shook her head. The next time she had even the faintest notion of wanting to nip Jian’s nose in the dark, she’d order Gaekwar to shoot a disc through her brain…!

___And so, having altogether forgotten about her pride in her victory, she pressed the follicle to the sigilplate.

Next chapter

Notes from the real author…

Uh, no, I’m not at all sure that roots from human hairs would survive for more than half a year to count as “living flesh”. But for reasons I’m not going to explain yet, I eventually realized this was a moot point. :slight_smile: (Let’s just say that Mikonese humans aren’t realworld humans and leave it at that.)

Back when I was trimming chapters down in pre-production, I accidentally cut out the place where Portunista affirms out loud she does carry talcum powder. Or rather, I switched that over to a secondhand thought from her (related in narrative form).

Consequently, Jian’s question at the end of chapter 27 seems to come out of nowhere now, since he’s acting as though she affirmed she did have talcum powder with her (although not why she would use it). Well, he’s a mysterious guy, and I hinted at the end that he had a reason for asking the question other than simple curiosity, i.e. trying to distract her from thinking about how awesome she was to have figured out how to get in: better for her to be slightly annoyed at Jian than to be dwelling in pride on her victory. :slight_smile: