The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Contradictions: OT V NT

For those who love freedom yet believe a strong centralized government is needed to insure fairness and justice , history shows you can’t have both.
In exchange for controlling distribution of products and services and strong centralized government will always demand control and inevitably restrict freedoms.
Ask the people of Hong Kong how they like this offer from China, that they are expected to accept, a Godfather type offer.

Hum! This brings a movie to mind. :crazy_face:

It was only as wide as the world they knew, i.e., the ancients’ didn’t think in ‘global’ terms like we know global… like I said about the flood being regional — I suspect a good bit bigger than just a good 100+ local miles or so; and then of course enough animals with Noah and family to start again etc.

Michael, you seem to have a gift for turning what was intended as an attempt at flippant humor and a play on words into something completely different. Of course the Lord did not encourage his disciples to “demonise those they disagreed with” , a phrase which could be taken as suggesting that the “those” were in league with the Devil.

That being said, one definition of the word “demonise” is “to portray as wicked and threatening”. Although I didn’t name any particular person in my post, you may have correctly concluded who it was I had in mind. You may believe that his words and actions are perfectly acceptable (not wicked) and do not threaten democracy in any way. That is your prerogative. I interpret them differently.

1 Like

So, your dissent and quarrel with the rich and striving against them is a work of the flesh?
I don’t mean that, of course - just drawing attention to the fact that some things are not as simple as you lay out - people do differ in their values,( and calling in Jesus to back up one’s position is pretty scary imo), and differences cannot always be solved or compromised.
It sounds like anyone having strong feelings about anything is always a bad thing?? Standing up for what is right?

I’ll go there with you, it’s history told in the intended recipients vernacular.

Hmm You don’t think a donkey or snake spoke or a man wrestled with God?

Careful, Chad. Your slip is showing.

1 Like

Moses didn’t know about the creation of the universe but he managed to explain it pretty well so i don’t think it’s about what “they” knew but about what was revealed to them.

Well, this is interesting!

Let me quote a bit!

One of the strongest evidence for the global flood which annihilated all people on Earth except for Noah and his family, has been the ubiquitous presence of flood legends in the folklore of people groups from around the world. And the stories are all so similar. Local geography and cultural aspects may be present but they all seem to be telling the same story.

Over the years I have collected more than 200 of these stories, originally reported by various missionaries, anthropologists, and ethnologists.

Does anyone taking a regional flood viewpoint, wish to provide some commentary?

Again their global wasn’t of a literal scientific nature, but a global as far as they perceived their reality.

2 Likes

Dear Davo, much as I enjoy and respect your inputs, that comment is nonsensical, imho. The author of the Genesis account wrote it years, centuries after the fact. He had no idea of what the perception of the victims of the Flood was, likely relying solely on the testimony of the survivors and their descendants.

We are often surprised when we learn how knowledgeable the ancients were in the distant past. It is not being too fanciful to believe they may have based their Flood account on the very visible evidence which that worldwide catastrophe left behind.

1 Like

Perhaps in line with Steve’s view above such might have been revealed… but in any case the reason folk see evidence of catastrophic floods is because from time immemorial there have been many — consider your own Canadian Rockies that you mentioned to Dave.

I’m not… but that said, those of the ANE didn’t rationalise according to our paradigm.

I am not aware that the writers of Genesis even had a concept of “global” as we define that.

2 Likes

My exact point Bob.

2 Likes

Yep qaz… the entire world of Lk 2:1 was limited, as was the world turning after Jesus of Jn 12:19.

At the very best, that statement is pure conjecture. At the worst, it is disparaging, even derogatory when applied to those who answered to a very different paradigm.

Not really Norm… neither disparaging or derogatory but just fact.

I give up. You win, Davo. I can’t argue with anybody who relies on “fact”.

Exactly, there is no fact except that the only fact is the hebrew word “eretz” or “erets” is used many times for either “land” or “earth” & both flood views have strong evidence & so both viewpoints are opinions.
Moses had the creation of the universe revealed to him so a global flood could have been too, but as for myself, i’m undecided.

That is not a fact.