The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Free Will and Boasting

Ha! No blasting from me, Auggy! No system of belief is so airtight that it doesn’t have any weaknesses, so all of us have to bail water at some point. I think at those points each has to pick his poison so to speak and decide which ambiguities are most tolerable.

I prefer to locate the mystery of evil in all those variables that define the created side of the equation (angelic and human wills, natural laws, character solidification, limitation of perspective, etc., and probably more we can’t grasp) as opposed to locating it in will (and thus character) of God. So for me the mystery of evil is a mystery about creation (how it works, the rules of engagement by which God interacts with it in accomplishing his will, the freedom it’s endowed with, etc.) and not a mystery about the character or will of God. “God is love” is not something I know how to affirm confidently if it’s also the case that God is determining evil in the traditional Calvinistic sense (i.e., by unconditional and efficacious decree). And my fundamental reason for claiming this is Christological—God is Christlike. Jesus claims that when we’ve seen him we’ve seen the Father. That means Jesus is offering himself as the defining, authoritative interpretation of what God is like. Hence, I think we ought to say (because it’s true) that we understand God’s will and character far better than we understand the complexity of all the creational variables that contribute to determining outcomes. There far more mystery to the complexities of creation than there is to the character and will of God. I don’t mean we always know what God has willed. I only mean that given the Cross and the love of God, we can always know that the ends God wills and pursues are an expression of unconditional love. That’s why I now say: God is everywhere always seeking to maximize good and minimize evil given the rules he established to govern the creator-created distinction and the freedom required for creation’s ultimate perfection in Christ.

This is different than the common (to me) Calvinist argument that good and evil alike find their explanation and mystery in the unconditional will and decree of God, that locates the mystery of evil in God (as opposed to in creation where I’d locate it).

So when Scripture describes God as “hardening Pharaoh” I’m going to assume that whatever “hardening” means, it’s God’s “response to” Pharaoh’s self-determined opposition to God. In other words, hardening is a judgment, a response of God to some already present state. I know there’s a fuller discussion here, but that’s my feeling.

I actually do think we contribute to becoming righteous. I’m a synergist after all, right? That means God can’t get the righteous partners he desires without those partners freely choosing to cooperate. That cooperation defines or ‘shapes’ outcomes. I think the main reason for this is that outcomes synergistically achieved (outcomes achieved by free cooperation between persons) are more beautiful (aesthetically speaking), and God is out to achieve the greatest expression of created beauty possible. What else are ‘rewards’ but an affirmation on God’s part that we’re self-determining, i.e., responsible for our choices in ways that make sense of God ‘rewarding’ this and ‘chastising’ that? And the rewards are not all for the faithful execution of ministry callings and giftings. Some are for keeping the faith. “To him who overcomes I shall make a pillar…” etc, and “give him a secret name known only to me and him,” etc. These are just the ‘consequences’, i.e., the consequent enjoyment of participating in the life and presence of God, that are the result of the synergy between God and human beings. BUT (and this is important) divine-human synergy can’t erase the creator-created distinction and thus the asymmetry I mentioned earlier:

This is why/how I think we can have the synergy required for human character development and personal becoming without it being the case that humans have grounds for believing their freely choosing to cooperate with God gives them a worth and value superior to others who don’t so choose.

Tom

Here you confuse me. For on one hand you defend that God (in some soveriegn sesne) is accountable for both good (faith) and evil (sin). For if you find the mystery of good and evil in creation then the obvious question is “who is responsible for creation”? You stated earlier that any creator is responsible for the imperfections (sin) [my emphesis] of his creation, and yet say he’s not in any direct sense of responsibility; to me it seems you’re trying to dodge the difficulty of the dilemma: If a perfect God created a perfect order and LFW (which has sin or choices to reject God inherent) is required to achieve what ever means, then how does this manage to escape that God hates the acts of the sinners, if in fact these acts are the very means by which he so desires to emerge perfect creatures.
As leaning reformed, I have no problem with God determining that pharoa would disobey him, I think it’s what it sasy. I have NO quarrel with God if he has placed my children in his hands ONLY if his outcome is positive. That is to say, I have a weakness, what if I’m wrong!!! But I can only say, I can only trust God and that Character of Jesus that my daughter and son’s outcome will in fact be in his determing outcome which in the end results in their receiving mercy. To put it more bluntly, I don’t care if God is FORCING my children to love me, I’m just crazy that they do. I love the expereience of loving them. - I realize this undermines the discussion and so I don’t argue it. - I just have to say that’s where I’m coming from.

I disagree, I’ll comment and we can leave this point behind. I would argue that Paul’s illustration of the Pharaoh is no different than his point in Romans 11; God binds all (including to Pharaoh) to disobedience to bring them to mercy (obedience). But I’m happy to make that a different discussion to continue pursuing this mystery of God’s responsibility in his perfect or imperfect (as you see it) creation.

And it also means God can’t take the credit (glory or praise) for the choice the man freely made.

This part I’m lost on and will have to take time to digest and process.

Tom: This is different than the common (to me) Calvinist argument that good and evil alike find their explanation and mystery in the unconditional will and decree of God, that locates the mystery of evil in God (as opposed to in creation where I’d locate it).

Auggy: Here you confuse me. For on one hand you defend that God (in some soveriegn sesne) is accountable for both good (faith) and evil (sin). For if you find the mystery of good and evil in creation then the obvious question is “who is responsible for creation”?

Tom: Remember much earlier I said I thought God was responsible for sin and evil in the sense that parents are responsible for their children’s choices by virtue of choosing to have kids. After all, our kids wouldn’t make poor choices had we not made the choice to conceive and birth them, right? So yes, in the sense that any creator who creates freely and unnecessarily is responsible for what it creates, God is responsible for creation. But we don’t hold good parents accountable for the poor choices of their children just because the parents brought those kids into existence. Likewise, we don’t hold God accountable for sin and evil because he created. We hold accountable those ‘wills’ which are, as LFWers would say, the ‘final arbiters’ in a causal chain. For us to sin we have to exist. And for us to exist God has to create us. But that doesn’t make God responsible for our sinning unless God’s choice to create us is accompanied by an unconditional and efficacious decree that determines all that comes to pass in creation.

Auggy: You stated earlier that any creator is responsible for the imperfections (sin) [my emphesis] of his creation, and yet say he’s not in any direct sense of responsibility; to me it seems you’re trying to dodge the difficulty of the dilemma: If a perfect God created a perfect order and LFW (which has sin or choices to reject God inherent) is required to achieve what ever means, then how does this manage to escape that God hates the acts of the sinners, if in fact these acts are the very means by which he so desires to emerge perfect creatures.

Tom: “Sinful acts” aren’t the means by which God desires to perfect us. Rather, the ‘freedom’ by which we sin is identical to the freedom by which we must freely participate with God and that freedom is necessary (I think) to our achieving God’s purposes for us. God created a good order. So libertarian freedom is good because it’s the necessary means by which we mature into full partnership with God. But that good order (that freedom) entails the ‘risk’ of our choosing wrongly. But choosing wrongly isn’t “inherent” in freedom. The possibility of choosing wrongly is inherent in such freedom, yes, but like I said, I think that’s the price tag (the ‘risk’) God has to take to get the created partners he wants. But “sin” doesn’t play any (metaphysically) positive role in our perfection. Sin is a privation of order, a falling from nature, a missing of the mark.

Auggy: As leaning reformed, I have no problem with God determining that pharoa would disobey him, I think it’s what it sasy. I have NO quarrel with God if he has placed my children in his hands ONLY if his outcome is positive. That is to say, I have a weakness, what if I’m wrong!!! But I can only say, I can only trust God and that Character of Jesus that my daughter and son’s outcome will in fact be in his determing outcome which in the end results in their receiving mercy. To put it more bluntly, I don’t care if God is FORCING my children to love me, I’m just crazy that they do.

Tom: Why are you crazy that they do? I mean, what does it mean for you to say you get pleasure from the fact that “they” love you if you also believe all the attitudes and actions and choices that define what you call “their love” for you are simply God’s determining them to think, feel and choose as HE desires. In other words, what really distinguishes God’s love for you from your children’s love for you if God is determining your children’s love for you? (This gets back to Hartshorne’s criticism of determinism—to the extent that A determines B, B is just A re-expressed.) To distinguish between God’s love for you and your children’s love for you (that is, to avoid concluding that your children’s love for you is just God expressing his love for you through some created means that he determines) one would have to find a way to distinguish between the two—and who or what determines this or that expression is how I make that distinction. But when I say “my children” love me I don’t simply mean “God is loving me through the determined use of some human instrument.” I mean something more.

But Auggy, if you’re able to make determinism work on an existential level, and you find it philosophically consistent enough for you, I don’t have any arguments with that. I bless you and rejoice with you. Seriously.

Auggy: And it also means God can’t take the credit (glory or praise) for the choice the man freely made.

Tom: It means God can take credit for freely creating in the first place, and for infusing creation with grace sufficient for our cooperating with him, for offering himself in relation to us, for “first loving us.” Whatever good we might freely do contains enough reason to praise God for grounding the possibility and empower its accomplishment with the needed grace.

Tom: We CAN consider God’s worth and value and freedom independently of creation, but we can never do the reverse (consider or contemplate human worth and value and freedom independently of God).

Auggy: This part I’m lost on and will have to take time to digest and process.

Tom: This is the asymmetry between God and us. God grounds our existence. We don’t ground his. God is necessary to our existence and personal fulfilment. We are not necessary to his. We require God’s empowering grace even to exercise our freedom as he requires. God does not require us (or any creation) to exercise his will in ways that constitute his own fulfilment. This means (for me) that no right choice, no good thing, we freely do can be accounted for apart from this dependency upon God and his grace. It’s what forbids and precludes our boasting of free choice since what’s necessary for our freely performing ‘the good’ is God’s prior love for us and the free offer of himself to us. In other words, we owe our choosing rightly and freely to a love and grace and offer of choice that is more fundamental than the fact that we play a part by freely determining our response to it.

In the end, we may just be motivated by different intuitions about what is worthy or proper of God, what risks we’re willing to admit into God’s plans and still call him sovereign, etc. If we’re different at the intuitional level, it’s hard to move much farther beyond those.

Tom

Tom! I get that Epistemic Distance is needed to “develop morally” (and learn through experience). But I don’t get what you mean by “responsible.”

You say it’s essential to be provided “ground upon which to responsibly reject God,” which would be destroyed if “truth” was “obvious.” For we must maintain “responsibly chosen delusion.” But calling choices of delusion ‘rational’ and ‘responsible’ seems to me to turn words upside down. If Jesus models what we pursue, did he see “ground upon which to responsibly reject God”? Or was he, unlike us, simply unable to be ‘responsible’? You argue that being ‘responsible’ in this sense is to be valued, yet admit it won’t exist when we enter a “permanent loving relationship.”

Pivotally, you assert that such a definition of ‘responsibility’ is the only metaphysical way to engineer loving partners. I simply don’t know that. Using a supposed grasp of metaphysical necessity to argue that we are fully responsible and blameworthy for rationally justified delusion, sounds to me like an extreme way to justify a philosophic premise already determined. I asked where the Bible celebrates having a proper basis to maintain delusion. You cited a great example: Eve’s deception. But I see this less as celebrated, than negatively regarded as something to overcome.

You admit that “a revelation of God” may feel constraining, but assert that rejection still remains “possible.” Do you think everyone is provided these equally powerful “revelations from God”? Are they all as penetrating or equivalent to Paul’s Damascus Road revelation? Would Paul not get LFW if he concluded that God had had unusual mercy on the worst of sinners, and kicking against the pricks was futile? How “possible” would it be for even you to choose to “responsibly reject God”’?

You conclude that it’s most loving to ‘create space’ for others to “rationally reject what is true.” This again turns the reality I experience on its’ head. I never seek to preserve grounds for those crippled around me so that they can rationally reject what is true (e.g. that they are in fact loved). I actually seek to persuade men of the truth as much as I can. And it seems to me, that for many of us in U.R., the assumption that God will ultimately do no less, is what makes our confidence coherent. How do you assure U.R., if God forever preserves for rebels a “rational basis to reject the truth”? Doesn’t saying that what God values is taking a “risk” imply that you then can’t be sure of the outcome? I’d prefer a true Lover who would checkmate me.

Enjoying the interaction! Thanks for all the challenging thoughts Bob.

Bob: I get that Epistemic Distance is needed to “develop morally” (and learn through experience). But I don’t get what you mean by “responsible.”

Tom: Moral development, or development of the character with respect to right and wrong, entails the notion of responsibility, no? They go together. That is, we only rightly hold people accountable (blameworthy) for their choices if their choices are minimally rational. What might be the components of a choice for which we’d hold someone accountable? I would say ‘being sufficiently informed’ would count as a component. ‘Being sane’ would count as another. I think ‘choosing freely’ would count as another. So how is one sufficiently free to reject God if one is left no rational grounds upon which to misrelate one’s self to the truth? It just doesn’t appear cruel to me that God would leave us this room, for this same space defines our possibility for freely choosing rightly.

I’m not saying that by being rational the choice against God isn’t wrong or that it doesn’t darken the intellect or bind us to illusions. I’m just saying that the only way to start down this road is by means of rational choice.

Bob: You say it’s essential to be provided “ground upon which to responsibly reject God,” which would be destroyed if “truth” was “obvious.” For we must maintain “responsibly chosen delusion.” But calling choices of delusion ‘rational’ and ‘responsible’ seems to me to turn words upside down.

Tom: I’ll try to distil it better. What I’m trying to say is that the rejection of God, to be a choice for which we are held accountable, ought to be free and rational. Now, I realize that in point of fact—if all the truth be told—there are no rational reasons for rejecting God. In that sense unbelief is an illusion. But that’s just the point. The sort of ‘moral development’ mentioned above presumes a movement towards perfection and maturity. God didn’t create us in a state of unmitigated and absolute truth and light so overwhelming that no space was left the reason (and so will, for the responsible exercise of the will is a rational exercise of the will) to reject God. We’d essentially be robots from the get-go, in which case no ‘development’ of character would be possible. But we in fact were and are able to reject God without having to be ‘insane’ or ‘delusional’. We “find reasons” to reject God. They’re not very good reasons in fact, but they constitute that bit of space human beings need to develop and determine themselves.

Bob: If Jesus models what we pursue, did he see “ground upon which to responsibly reject God”? Or was he, unlike us, simply unable to be ‘responsible’?

Tom: I don’t think Jesus was peccable (or free in the libertarian sense with respect to evil) as we are, so there’s no precise parallel for me here.

Bob: Pivotally, you assert that such a definition of ‘responsibility’ is the only metaphysical way to engineer loving partners. I simply don’t know that.

Tom: I get excited and overstate my case. Sorry! I should say I don’t see any other way to engineer a loving partnership between God and finite human beings apart from LFW.

Bob: Using a supposed grasp of metaphysical necessity to argue that we are fully responsible and blameworthy for rationally justified delusion, sounds to me like an extreme way to justify a philosophic premise already determined. I asked where the Bible celebrates having a proper basis to maintain delusion.

Tom: Oh, I don’t think the Bible celebrates having a proper basis to maintain a delusion in so many words. In fact, I don’t think libertarian freedom is valuable in and of itself. I think its value lies in the possibilities it opens up for the establishment of divine-human partnership and moral development God wants. It has a certain utility. That’s all.

But when I hear talk of “delusion” and “illusion” I tend to think of people getting “tricked” or “victimized” by some slight of hand magician, or that one has to be insane or mentally deranged to choose to reject the gospel or to make some selfish choice. But I want to lay the blame for sinful choices at the feet of sinners, not some unfortunate state of mental incapacity. But to do that we need to suppose we are sufficiently informed to have chosen rightly (that’s one side) but also that their wrong choices didn’t spring from some unfortunate lapse of sanity. To sin one doesn’t need to become temporarily insane.

Bob: You cited a great example: Eve’s deception. But I see this less as celebrated, than negatively regarded as something to overcome.

Tom: I didn’t mean to celebrate it as such. Rather, I want to argue that such is the universal state we find ourselves in (and a necessary one for our development), and that it won’t be overcome until glorification lifts the curtains entirely and floods our being with undeniable light. But what does Eve do? She ‘reasons’ (is there a better word) that “the fruit is good for food, pleasing to the eye, and profitable to make one wise.” She didn’t simply turn her brain off or become temporarily insane and leap irrationally into evil. She considered the Serpent’s offer, weighed it against what God had said, and managed to “spin” things sufficiently to fabricate a reason for eating. That is what I’m talking about. We have to be able to do THIS in order to freely self-determine with respect to God’s commands.

Bob: You admit that “a revelation of God” may feel constraining, but assert that rejection still remains “possible.” Do you think everyone is provided these equally powerful “revelations from God”?

Tom: Certainly not. I don’t think everybody even gets a sufficiently informed basis in their lifetime upon which to determine themselves relative to the gospel, a state of affairs I’m sure God rectifies post-mortem. But even post-mortem I don’t think it’s just a “given” that folks make the right choice. (Boy this is getting off into post-mortem eschatology!)

Bob: You conclude that it’s most loving to ‘create space’ for others to “rationally reject what is true.”

Tom: It’s a loving and acceptable risk to create space for people to freely determine themselves with respect to good and evil if that sort of self-determination is the only way to get finite persons into loving partnership with God. So, the freedom which defines the possibility of our choosing to develop toward God is the same freedom that defines the possibility of our choosing to move away from God.

Bob: This again turns the reality I experience on its head. I never seek to preserve grounds for those crippled around me so that they can rationally reject what is true (e.g. that they are in fact loved). I actually seek to persuade men of the truth as much as I can.

Tom: Right. So do I. But that’s not something epistemic distance undermines. By all means, whatever truth we CAN secure for people who haven’t yet chosen the gospel, let’s do so. But what you and I can’t do is persuade the mind so absolutely of so great a swatch of truth that the mind has no recourse for rational motivation except to choose God, for that would constitute (for as yet developing characters) a ‘constraint’ that makes free development impossible.

If you don’t need human moral development to be free, none of this carries any weight with you. I understand that. But for those of us who do think LFW is necessary to such development, it pretty much follows.

Bob: And it seems to me, that for many of us in U.R., the assumption that God will ultimately do no less, is what makes our confidence coherent. How do you assure U.R., if God forever preserves for rebels a “rational basis to reject the truth”? Doesn’t saying that what God values is taking a “risk” imply that you then can’t be sure of the outcome? I’d prefer a true Lover who would checkmate me.

Tom: Great question. I think Tom T. and I tossed this back and forth above under his tent. Basically I don’t guarantee UR by appealing to any deterministic providence of God. Nor do I suppose that once all our delusions and lies are burnt away that persons will automatically choose God. Adam and Eve didn’t suffer from any delusion or lie that darkened their reasoning capacities. Nor can I suppose that God will flood the intellect with so overwhelming a revelation of God that no rational ground would remain for rejecting God. Since I think the choice for God must be libertarian I’m bound to suppose that SOME measure of epistemic distance would characterize even an optimal post-mortem context. Does that mean a person could conceivable renew their rejection of God? Yes. But given the postmortem context as I see it, it’s just a matter of time. We can’t permanently/irrevocably foreclose all possibility of Godward movement either. We can’t irrevocably solidify our wills against God. And God will love us and pursue us as long as it takes. Beyond that I don’t speculate. It’s enough for me to know that no one of us can irrevocably solidify into evil (not even Satan has done so in my view) and that God will never give up on us. So I’m an extremely hopeful and encouraged believer in eventual UR. But I don’t think God has predetermined a terminous ad quem at which point he has decided to release the last of all the hearts he’s hardened. (Had to throw that in there! :mrgreen: )

Grateful for the convo,
Tom

Well sure it would be accurate! I mean it’s a really delightful conundrum Auggy has placed out before us and the way he’s set it up one must (seemingly) decide between blaming God for everything (the good, like our choosing Him – as well as the bad, like our rebellion in the first place) or blaming us only for the bad stuff which would mean we are responsible so why not also be responsible for the good! (and thereby have reason to boast!)

And of course Auggy is right that it cuts to the heart of the issue of so called “free will”. So it really IS a delightful problem to have.

I’m sensing that we all want to do honor to the idea of the critical nature of God’s involvement in bringing about good while at the same time the apparent importance of not going too far down the path of determinism where we might just as well shrug and say my genes made me do it, therefore “so what?” …

So we seem to be trying to force together two incompatible ideas maybe??

But stepping back a second to talk about boasting. Maybe boasting is discouraged for reasons other than the “fact” we have responsibility and/or culpability for our choices?? Maybe it’s just one of those activities that God knows is not good for us (pulls us away from Him) so He forbids it. Maybe it has little to do with our deserving credit…

But if you think about whats going on when one boasts, isn’t it an underlying competiveness that drives what we know as boasting? I boast because I’m better than you, or him over there, or smarter, or more clever or insightful or something. Which of course may or may not be true! I mean some really are more clever and insightful than others right?? But boasting demands a sort of hierarchy of acheivment or perhaps value. If we all had a pretty blue marble, it’d make no sense to boast that I had a pretty blue marble.

Or, more soberly, I might be tempted to boast as a reflection that God loves me more, or holds me in higher esteem or something. Which gives me reason to place myself over and above you. For what use is boasting is we all have achieved the same level of wisdom or all made the better choice! If everyone wins the Superbowl, (not possible the way it’s currently set up of course) then why would one boast of winning the Superbowl? So boasting strongly implies levels of worth.

Except the story of God and salvation tells us we are ALL of inestimable worth! To imagine that God smiles on me more than He does on you (because after all I chose more wisely than you did!) is simply wrong. So maybe boasting does not have the firm basis we might imagine it does.

This notion of competiveness in gaining God’s smile or admiration or attention can have a backside too though can’t it? And a more negative one as well.
If we consider that God’s greatest attention is paid to the one who needs it most (ie the sickest one; the one furthest from the fold; the son who is far from home; the sheep who is lost out there in the seething elements) then one could “boast” of God’s attention the most if he ran away from God! Work harder at rejecting God knowing that God will “work harder” (after all, where sin abounds there Grace abounds all the more!) to come and find him!
But that borders on insanity and absurdity doesn’t it!!

Soooo maybe we’re told not to boast for reasons that have nothing to do with our inherent “responsibility” for sinning/not sinning… Chosing God/not chosing God…

Just thinking out loud here Bob and Auggy…

TotalVictory
Bobx3

TV, thanks for that last post - insightful.
Although on techincal grounds I’ve argued with TGB that our value we find in God due to his unconditional love is more like an antivirus program which protects the system from the boasting virus. I agree. TGB is right and I speculate that this is exactly why TGB can see Auggy’s view that in the grand scheme of things, God’s sov. owns everything (calvinism) and yet be good with it because he knows Auggy’s view also entails in the grand scheme of things, God’s love owns everything (arminian).

But I still hold that thought this antivirus protection (unconditional love) does remove the threat of the boasting virus, LFW still is a program which will infect your system. Simply put, LFW - I’m still convinced leaves room for one person to believe he’s done something righteouss that another has not and therfore looks down on them. Simply because UL (unconditonal love) protects us from that does not mean that LFW does not inherit that.

Aug

Auggy: Although on techincal grounds I’ve argued with TGB that our value we find in God due to his unconditional love is more like an antivirus program which protects the system from the boasting virus. I agree. TGB is right and I speculate that this is exactly why TGB can see Auggy’s view that in the grand scheme of things, God’s sov. owns everything (calvinism) and yet be good with it because he knows Auggy’s view also entails in the grand scheme of things, God’s love owns everything (arminian). But I still hold that thought this antivirus protection (unconditional love) does remove the threat of the boasting virus, LFW still is a program which will infect your system. Simply put, LFW - I’m still convinced leaves room for one person to believe he’s done something righteouss that another has not and therfore looks down on them. Simply because UL (unconditonal love) protects us from that does not mean that LFW does not inherit that.

Tom: You drive a hard bargain Auggy! :sunglasses:

Just a couple points. First, yes it’s technically true that one cannot simultaneously perceive the truth that one’s value is grounded in God’s unconditional love and also attempt to ground one’s value outside of that love by boasting about one’s choice to have received it freely. But oh, what a wonderful technicality! Oh that its truth would flood our minds.

Second, I don’t think I agree, Auggy, with your sense of how God sovereignly “owns” everything that occurs. You view this (I think) in deterministic terms. God “owns” all the sinful choices that occur in the world because God unconditionally decrees that such choices should be. I think God “owns” what happens in the world in the sense that God is responsible for bringing into existence a world where agents are free to determine themselves in love/evil. These are very different senses of ownership. I’m not “good” with Calvinism. That would make me a Calvinist. ;o) And I don’t at all know how to consistently maintain that God unconditionally determines all evil and that God equally and unconditionally loves all. That is, I’m unable to conclude that God loves all equally and unconditionally if it’s also true that God unconditionally decrees all. I understand the parts that make up your claim, yes: “God determines all” (Calvinism) and “God loves all” (Arminiansim). But I can’t give any meaning to their conjunction. I don’t know what it means to say God equally and unconditionally loves the world AND God’s decreed everything about the actual history of its evil.

Lastly, any truth (election no less than LFW), if isolated from other truths, can infect one’s system. It’s doesn’t count against LFW that IF one fails to perceive the truth that one is unconditionally loved and valued by God, LFW can THEN be misconstrued as grounds for boasting. Of course truths can be misconstrued when isolated in this way or when combined with other lies. For example, if one believes in LFW (a truth, let’s suppose) AND one believes that one’s worth is grounded in one’s performance (a lie), of course one is going to boast about one’s choices. Why wouldn’t this be the case?

But we can easily combine the supposed truth of a deterministic election with other false beliefs so that people find their election to be grounds for boasting, “Look, God picked me! I must be hot stuff.” And of course determinists would be right to object that only by ignoring other relevant truths could one misconstrue election this way. I might as well claim that determinism is a virus that will infect your system unless you also believe in other things that protect you against this virus (as Auggy has said about LFW). But that’s not exactly fair play.

To be a human is to be driven by the hunger to discover the worth and significance of one’s existence. Nothing wrong with that. God made it that way. It’s “the draw” of contingent, finite being longing for the true ground of being. But if you fail to perceive the truth that your value is guaranteed in God’s unconditional love, it doesn’t count against other facts of life (say, LFW) that they are sometimes viewed falsely by people desperate to establish their significance outside of God. That’s rather to be expected.

Tom

In TV’s buttressing TGB, I hear: given the use of free agency, some of us are much better than others. Still, we mustn’t ‘boast’ (defined as asserting greater worth, which is impossible) since God places infinite worth on all. Thus, it’d be justified to point out the fact that morally I’m far superior to most people, much more responsible, etc., as long as I acknowledge that God has still placed total worth on those who are otherwise dismally inferior. Does that clarify it?

Tom! “Free will” remains a myterious connundrum to me. Both classic alternatives seem to retain difficulties. I see powerful reasons to say that sin must be free and ‘rational,’ or else it’s not blameworthy, and we look like robots. But explaining human experience as formed (sometimes unconciously) by faulty perception also rings true to my observation, just as the libertarian nature of things seems plain to you. So, you provide a wonderful challenge to my more reformed & problematic inclinations!

You agree “there are no rational reasons to reject” truth, yet say “rational grounds” to do precisely that must be provided. But then one can say, I embrace (an actually incorrect) belief, because I seem to be able to see good grounds to warrant it. Yet this is what we’d ordinarily consider: not seeing the valid “rational reasons,” but remaining deceived about “all the truth” which you insist can’t “be told” anyway. And instead of agreeing that they met your criterion of being ‘sufficiently’ informed, we’d ordinarly characterize them as insufficiently informed. For this would seem to represent the kind of ‘blindness’ or ‘delusion’ that the Bible wants (ultimately) to get rid of, rather than to justify it as vital to maintain.

You say Eve has to spin, or ‘fabricate’ a reason to eat. I’d say the reasons she gave seemed to be right in front of her face. To her (although we know it was deceptive) it appeared eating would bring deep good. So then, it seems to me that what she needs is (not maintaining a “rational basis” to continue to be able to err, but) enough experience and consequences so that the true nature of reality acutally does become very “bright” and increasingly unmistakeable.

By contrast you say Jesus was not free in the libertarian sense. Does that then mean that by definition, he is the only one who is not ‘rational’ or ‘responsible’? If seeing the actual truth works for him, should we not see that the ideal for us would be to grow toward the place where we too recognize the truth, and then no longer ‘enjoy’ such libertarian choices?

You acknowledge only some are ‘constrained’ by a “sufficiently Informed” basis, while others die without it. I.e. even as you define it, you don’t think God provides the same opportunity of ‘choice’ to all?

Your sense (and mine) that post-mortem epistemic distance may be more “optimal” seems like a recognition that the human situation cries out for the truth to be more obvious than what we get disciplined for as we stumble over it. Why insist that what is “optimal” would be ruinous to real freedom?

… Except that humility is also a superior moral stance to posses right? And don’t we say that the sin which is king over all others is pride? So I’d have to ask why it would be necessary for one to make that observation about himself at all! And don’t we admit that there really is such a thing such as backsliding? And what better first step in that direction away from God but pride?

Are there any situations in life where a thing might be so, but it’s strongly advised not to talk about it? A wife asks if she “looks fat” in this dress; it may be true but woe to the man who actually says so! Not trying to be frivilous but I’m just not sure what possible motivation exists, other than pride, for such an observation to be made about himself. Now others boasting about your particular wisdom in making right choices is a different matter all together!

So maybe there is some comparison to be made between a person who boasts of his role in his own salvation with the person who boasts he is humble; It is rather self-negating!

Just musing here…

TotalVictory
Bobx3

Good clarification Bob.

I think we have to agree that human being that fulfills God intentions for it is a better more superior state of being than that which fails to fulfill God’s intentions. Being full of the Spirit is a better state of being than being relationally separated from God and in despair, obviously. But I’ve not been talking about this kind of superiority. We’ve been wondering whether one’s choice to participate in this superior state of being is grounds for a person’s boasting about possessing an objective worth/value over those who are not enjoying it. In other words, boasting would suppose that this superior state of enjoyment and being is grounded upon the superior worth of the person because of the exercise of their free will. I don’t think such boasting is justified.

I’ll try to get back to your other very excellent points, Bob!

Tom

Well I agree Tom but still find Auggy’s dilemma compelling!

I understand I have not been addressing, at least head on, the core of his argument. But as set up it seems unresolvable so I’ve tried to find other angles from which to approach it…

For sure one thing we should be able to agree on is that the precise nature of free will remains elusive. That something like free will must exist however surely is evidenced by the realization that we are “without excuse” as Romans says. And Christians do hold, and have for a long time that there is no “excuse” for sin. (Big problem if there were!) Which all points to free will and it’s corallaries, responsibility and accountability. Flying in the face of this then is the idea that our salvation is not of ourselves however – lest any should boast – it is a gift of God!

So it’s a fascinating dillemma to be sure. And a fun challenge to try to reconcile. The boasting angle just states the problem is a particularly interesting way.

Now perhaps it needs to be said that when God asks us not to boast (or commands us) it may have little to do with whether we have justification for boasting or not. I think God is not here endorsing some sort of relativism where all ideas are good ones and must be treated equally. We rightly resist the sort of relativism that says all truths only have as their basis the views of the individual themselves. So I don’t think the command not to boast means that there is no distinction between the value of the choices made.

We ARE to make value distinctions as Christians and we do it all the time! We are to covet the best gifts, we are to contemplate good things etc etc which would be impossible apart from our ability to distinguish the good from the bad. So yes, distinctions really do exist between choices and some really are better than others. I’m just wanting to be clear that none of us are saying that the command not to boast rests on the notion that all decisions are of equal value (relativism).

When I suggested that boastings only real motivation was in essence one of selfishness and that its meaning only derives from comparison with others whose decisions were of lesser value (and we CAN agree that some choices really are “worse” than others) what I had in mind was that, from God’s perspective – because He knows all will eventually be saved! – He knows that eventually all will have that reason to boast. And if all can boast, then the basis for boasting (ie competitiveness) becomes irrelevant!

So, if God knows the eventual outcome with certainty (that eventually all will stand beside Him in victory for eternity) perhaps this command not to boast is really just more evidence (albeit indirect and not exactly primary evidence!) of the realities of UR…

Now I return to the story of the lost sheep being returned to the fold, carried, (as the pictures of this event have it) across the shoulders of the Shepherd back to safety. And I wonder how it might sound were that sheep to “boast” of his role in the rescue. “I was clever enough to let the Shepherd pick me up and carry me home!!” – I realize that’s not exactly what Auggy is talking about at all but it’s a thought experiment I ran and I find it absurd… Was the “choice” by the lost sheep to “allow” the Shepherd to take it home the better choice? Sure… But the choice is not so much a clever one but rather one of “relinquishing stupidity”. Is relinquished stupidity something to boast about? I’m not sure it is!

Anyway, still musing and loving the challenge you’ve brought us Aug!

TotalVictory
Bobx3

Wow great stuff,
Pointing the finger at determinism will not get LFW off the hook. If there is an inherent flaw in Determinism, that is irrelevant as to whether or not LFW’s defect is true or not. It’s relevant to say, “Which poison will you pick?” But it will not magically stop LFW from having that virus inherent in its own system. So I’m disagreeing with you TGB.
To analyze that thought a bit more, Determinism (as I see it) does not contain from within its own self a perpetual defect for boasting. That is, though you say “I was picked and you were not” – Determinism’s picking (election) was based only on the council of God – apart of anything of the person. Of course, I’m speaking in non-Universalist terms mind you. But LFW offers no such escape; leading me to TV’s response of the sheep.
If the sheep’s decision is not such a big deal, leaving him no room to boast because he agreed to the shepherd’s terms, then neither is it a big deal if he rejects his offer. The analogy sets up – he’s just a stupid sheep that should not take credit for such a rescue -. But when put in terms of greater importance, his choice (intelligence/spiritual wisdom) determines his outcome of whether the Shepherd will save him or not, changes that dynamic. If the rejection of the shepherd’s offer is GREAT then so is the acceptance of that same offer. Of course the sheep can’t boast that he came home upon his own self (he was rescued), but he can look back over the shepherd’s shoulder (looking back at the other sheep who rejected the offer) and say “baaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaa”. – ok a little humor.
I think there is much to discuss on these issues and may even go back to our approach of the scriptures as a whole. What does it mean to be saved? What is mercy? How does forgiveness not impede justice to punish sin? There really is so much to discuss.

Aug

Bob: “Free will” remains a myterious connundrum to me. Both classic alternatives seem to retain difficulties.

Tom: There’s mystery all around, yes! Libertarians don’t have an airtight system. We have ‘issues’ to answer which (as far as I can tell) even the best minds have at best only made plausible. Certainly nothing obviously convincing. In the end I think LFW is a bit less mysterious, or is a bit more tolerable I’d say, than the alternatives.

Here’s an interesting piece by van Inwagen (a libertarian). I enjoy his arguments for LFW but I also enjoy the honest way he admits his limitations and doubts. ucl.ac.uk/~uctytho/dfwvanInwagen1.htm

Bob: You agree “there are no rational reasons to reject” truth, yet say “rational grounds” to do precisely that must be provided.

Tom: I mean if all the truth be told, that is, if we were in possession of absolute certainty regarding the truth, we couldn’t rationally misrelate to it. Rational choice is a function (in part) of reason, and that means the contents of one’s reason, what one knows, or believes one knows, or thinks is plausible, have to be less than omniscient if one is to make wrong choices.

Take God as an extreme example on the positive side. God is omniscient. He knows all truths, perceives all reality infallibly, perfectly. God (I’ll claim) is impeccable, or incapable of rationally choosing to misrelate (or to do evil). How is that so? For me God’s moral perfection is just a function of an infallible knowledge/perception. Consequently, to be able to rationally choose what is evil, one would have to be less than omniscient, i.e., one would have to have room, cognitive wiggle room, to defend to one’s self some reason for which one chooses.

Bob: But then one can say, I embrace (an actually incorrect) belief, because I seem to be able to see good grounds to warrant it. Yet this is what we’d ordinarily consider: not seeing the valid “rational reasons,” but remaining deceived about “all the truth” which you insist can’t “be told” anyway. And instead of agreeing that they met your criterion of being ‘sufficiently’ informed, we’d ordinarly characterize them as insufficiently informed.

Tom: Sufficient for what? That’s the question. If moral development requires a certain freedom to self-determine (going with that intuition for the moment), the knowledge levels would have to be sufficient for such free agency, not sufficient to preclude such agency. We’d have to know enough to rationally choose between right and wrong, not to preclude our doing the wrong and guarantee our doing the right. But if the purpose is to preclude the possibility of choosing wrongly, then what would count as sufficient knowledge would be more. One would have to be incapable of construing life in any possible terms that would make choosing wrongly rational (as Eve does, for example). So that’s why I say that if we’re to be libertarianly free—free to rationally and responsibly determine ourselves with respect to a good that God commands—our knowledge and perceptions have to be sufficient for both alternative choices.

So, in order to act on the belief that the fruit will satisfy them in ways the Serpent asks Eve to suppose God has kept hidden from them, Eve had to have less than absolute certitude regarding God’s word. She has to be capable of holding the belief in question (namely, that God’s hidding something and so is not entirely trustworthy). And that’s essentially what she did: she ‘doubted’ God. How could she do that unless her knowledge and perceptions of reality permitted such doubting? She ‘considered’ the Serpent’s words and related his offer to God’s words, and the natural appeal of the fruit played its part, and so she doubted God. Of course, in order to hold her accountable for choosing wrongly we have to admit that her knowledge was sufficient to ground the “ought” of trusting God and the “ought not” of giving into the Serpent. My point is, she had ‘room’ to do this, and she only had room to do it because of ‘epistemic distance’, that is, she had less than absolute certitude regarding God’s word. She was capable of defending the wrong choice to herself on some minimal level sufficient to render her ‘rational’ and thus “owned” by her (as opposed to being merely a victim).

Bob: For this would seem to represent the kind of ‘blindness’ or ‘delusion’ that the Bible wants (ultimately) to get rid of, rather than to justify it as vital to maintain.

Tom: We eventually mature into being compatibilistically free with respect to good and evil. That is, we become solidified in the good (similar to God). But as finite, created beings we can’t start there. We’re not self-sufficient beings who exist necessarily or possess our characters necessarily. We have to ‘become’ what God intends. So in my view, LFW is only necessary because of this. Over time as our characters solidify we become increasingly less free with respect to some behaviors. Mother Teresa may have been capable of abusing the poor for her own benefit at some point when she was a young person. That seems reasonable. But then in later years she ‘became’ quite incapable of such actions. Her choices over time shaped her character, then her character shaped her choices. Compatibilism is, I agree, a higher form of freedom. The problem is our moral development toward such fullness of being requires (libertarians think) the free participation of the person. We have to ‘become’ compatibilistically free, but what are we in the meantime?

Bob: You say Eve has to spin, or ‘fabricate’ a reason to eat. I’d say the reasons she gave seemed to be right in front of her face. To her (although we know it was deceptive) it appeared eating would bring deep good. So then, it seems to me that what she needs is (not maintaining a “rational basis” to continue to be able to err, but) enough experience and consequences so that the true nature of reality acutally does become very “bright” and increasingly unmistakeable.

Tom: Yes! You’re describing epistemic distance. By “spin” I just meant what you describe. She “saw that the fruit was good for…etc.” and ate. My point is that in order for her to have rationally and responsibly doubted God, SOME basis for doubting has to offer itself. And that’s what the Serpent did. And you’re right too when you say that what she needs in order to avoid sinning is to perceive the truth about the nature of her reality. Moral development and sanctification proceed on precisely this basis—we progressively perceive and experience the truth of things (God’s love, God as the ground of our being, the experience of God as the goal of our being, God as the summum bonum the highest good any created thing can aspire to, etc.). Over time we become more settled in this perspective and it defines and shapes our identity. And as I’m sure you agree, it is one’s identity (or lack of it) which in turn motivates choice.

This kind of development requires us (or so libertarians think) to freely resolve ourselves relative to the options. Increasingly settled accurate perceptions of reality are the road to moral development. The more you choose rightly, the more accurately you perceive and the more settled those perceptions become. But if God were to flood the mind with truth from the get-go, we’d essentially be compatibilistically free (unable to choose wrongly) and so unable to ‘develop’ morally.

I think we ought to offer all the reasons we can to people for believing and loving God, for surely whatever reasons an unglorified mind CAN perceive are fair game. That is, nothing an unglorified mind can perceive (through rational thought and debate, through meditating, through the work of the Spirit and the image of God in us) will close the epistemic distance to zero. You and I can offer good reasons for why someone should believe, but we cannot close the cognitive gap to absolute zero and download absolute certitude into their minds and so PRECLUDE the possibility of unbelief. That would be essentially to make the choice for them. That’s not a problem for determinists (it IS determinism), but we libertarians believe that God’s purposes can’t be achieved that way.

Bob: By contrast you say Jesus was not free in the libertarian sense. Does that then mean that by definition, he is the only one who is not ‘rational’ or ‘responsible’?

Tom: Well, Mother Teresa’s incapacity to abuse the poor and needy was ‘rational’ even though compatibilistic because she freely choose her way via moral development into such a state. It wasn’t determined for her. So compatibilistic love can be rational for finite creatures if it’s the result of a developed and responsible journey from LFW to compatibilism. Jesus, I think, is different. He was impeccable because for me there’s only ONE personal subject determining the choices of Jesus, that of the eternal Logos, the Son of God. And I take the divine persons to be impeccable (unable to sin).

Bob: If seeing the actual truth works for him, should we not see that the ideal for us would be to grow toward the place where we too recognize the truth, and then no longer ‘enjoy’ such libertarian choices?

Tom: Absolutely! That’s all I’m saying. But we have to “grow toward” no longer needing LFW. Totally agree.

Bob: You acknowledge only some are ‘constrained’ by a “sufficiently Informed” basis, while others die without it. I.e. even as you define it, you don’t think God provides the same opportunity of ‘choice’ to all?

Tom: Infants and the mentally handicapped who die would count as insufficiently informed. I’m open as to whether the unevangelized are insufficiently informed. Paul seems to think that the light of fully developed reason and conscience are enough to render folks ‘responsible’ on some level (Rm 1-3). But where persons leave this world insufficiently informed to resolve themselves relative to God’s commands and the offer of the gospel, I have to suppose that God will make this up to them post-mortem.

Bob: Your sense (and mine) that post-mortem epistemic distance may be more “optimal” seems like a recognition that the human situation cries out for the truth to be more obvious than what we get disciplined for as we stumble over it. Why insist that what is “optimal” would be ruinous to real freedom?

Tom: I love this board! Wish I could spend more time here!

I don’t think LFW is the truest, realist form of human freedom. I think it’s only necessary for the sort of development that defines how human beings become what they’re intended to be—fully realized and at home with God in Christ. I think ‘real’ freedom, the freedom that God intends our existence should be forever characterized by, is compatibilism! And about post-mortem optimizing, I don’t think God collapses epistemic distance to zero. That would equate to his just determining our choices. So some room is left creatures to have to ‘trust’ God in the afterlife.
Tom

Auggy: Pointing the finger at determinism will not get LFW off the hook. If there is an inherent flaw in determinism, that is irrelevant as to whether or not LFW’s defect is true or not.

Tom: I don’t want to be understood as supposing that a particular weakness in determinism diminishes a particular weaknesses facing LFW. Rather, I’m saying that the particular weakness you’ve attributed to LFW—namely, that when considered in isolation from other relative truths that account for the whole person, LFW can be construed as grounds for boasting—is also a weakness of determinism and so shouldn’t figure in against either view. We should judge a theory given its place in the whole, how it fits into the whole as best we can understand. You don’t judge a theory as dangerous or fallacious based on what it appears to be when isolated from the truth of the whole.

Auggy: It’s relevant to say, “Which poison will you pick?” But it will not magically stop LFW from having that virus inherent in its own system. So I’m disagreeing with you TGB.

Tom: But neither will it magically stop determinism from infecting one’s thinking and encouraging boasting if we isolate determinism from other qualifying claims. Both theories can go awry when isolated from other qualifying truths. But that’s just the way it SHOULD be, since truth is singular and all things are fundamentally related.

Auggy: To analyze that thought a bit more, Determinism (as I see it) does not contain from within its own self a perpetual defect for boasting. That is, though you say “I was picked and you were not” – Determinism’s picking (election) was based only on the council of God – apart of anything of the person.

Tom: But you’re just building into your understanding of the agent as determined by God the qualification that precludes boasting—namely, that God’s decrees are unconditional and not motivated by any consideration of creaturely factors (even though such unconditionality has nothing to do with ‘determinism’ as a theory of agency per se). And I grant you this qualification because I believe a theory’s truth is determined by how well it handles or ‘fits’ the whole of our belief system. But I can similarly build into my understanding of the agent as created free by God a similar qualification that precludes boasting. You want to forbid me this move. You think my qualifications are extraneous to LFW as a theory of agency per se but that your qualifications are essential to determinism as a theory of human agency per se. But this isn’t the case. There are atheistic determinists as well as atheistic proponents of LFW. These particular theories of agency don’t entail particular views about God. You may counter by saying that “by determinism” you just mean theistic determinism. But that doesn’t by itself preclude boasting. You’ll add further the belief in the unconditionality of the decree and yes, that will protect determinism from being used as a basis for boasting. Fine. You’ve successfully insulated naked determinism from being misconstrued as grounds for boasting. I can do that too: “By libertarian agency” I just mean divine-human synergy founded upon the universal and unconditional love of God and the (asymmetrical) creator-created distinction. There. :sunglasses:

Lovin it!

Tom

On my way finally! :laughing: I’ve got a lot to catch up on in this thread first, though…

Still catching up, but I thought I would comment with agreement on this sidenote. I’ve been talking about it recently in the SttH/BSM series posts. (I mean hard determinism in the sense of directly ‘directing’ all created matter and energy around. How God can avoid this while still having to actively keep all points of creation in existence, is something I only came to understand better–I think–once I had further contemplated the implications of the fundamental self-sacrifice of God Self-Begotten.)

Back to catching up… :slight_smile:

Okay I’ve caught up…

woosh. :mrgreen: I’m probably too late to add much substantial to this conversation. A few things that occur to me to mention while I try to get slotted in…

1.) I’m pretty sure I’m on Tom/TGB’s side of the discussion here.

2.) It seems to me that Auggy is, or was (and maybe has now accomplished this and moved on to related issues), looking along the line of: Arminian concepts of free will lead to having a ground for one kind of boasting we ought not to have ground for, which Christian Universalism negates the ground of (in one or another way). So the challenge to an Arm would be, in effect, that the saved have some legitimate ground to boast that they convinced God to (at least) not give up on them, whereas if Kath or Calv soteriology is true God was never going to give up on them anyway.

Relatedly (although I don’t recall Auggy bringing up this point–but it’s a long thread and I just might not remember if he or someone else did so), the damned would also have some legitimate ground to boast (Pyrrhic though such a boast would be!) that they either beat God outright or at least convinced God to give up acting to save them. Again, if Kath or Calv soteriology is true, that boasting would be negated.

3.) Pre-Christian Jews had a double-risk of boasting for the same reason Calvs and Arms have different risks of boasting. A Jew was elected to special love by God; and/or a Jew convinces God to keep loving him by keeping the Law sufficiently. St. Paul was aiming against both kinds of boasting in Jews; so also should be aiming against both kinds of boasting in Christians.

4.) I may be wrong, but it seems like Gene and Bob (and maybe Tom, though I would have expected otherwise from his side of things) are looking for a situation where there is no possible risk of boasting, or relatedly of falling from an unfallen/redeemed state.

5.) I wouldn’t have any problem agreeing that I believe in Dependent Free Will in the sense Bob and Tom seem to agree on (with the caveat that a libertarian could just as easily believe in that kind of dependent free will. But a “libertarian” might also in effect propound an ontologically independent notion of free will, even if only inadvertently.)

You caught up? Dang! That’s fast.

On your (4), Jason, I do think one can fall from grace, so I wouldn’t say I’m looking for a position on all this that makes it impossible for a person to become arrogant (or otherwise fall from grace). But I do think that one falls by neglecting certain truths that would otherwise–if embraced and maintained–safeguard the heart and mind. Make sense?

Tom