The Evangelical Universalist Forum

George MacDonald on "The Cause of Spiritual Stupidity"

Most of GMacD’s preceding sermon (from Unspoken Sermons vol. 2), on “The Hardness of the Way”, can be found here on the boards. (Or, go here for a list of links for directly accessing all his published material for free from an American publisher, or to buy some nice hardback copies.)

Today’s entry:

Today’s entry:

I have to say, I think this is one place where MacD falls short in interpretation. It isn’t that I think MacD is wrong–obviously he’s correct as far as he goes (as were the disciples). But just as obviously, the Pharisees and Sadducees also believed that God cares and provides for His children. I don’t think the difference lies merely in that. (Though admittedly, when the phrase returns again in GosLuke, “Beware the leaven of the Pharisees”, it opens a scene of teaching that also involves God’s providential care for His children. But the Pharisees and Sadducees–and the Herodians for that matter, who are mentioned back in this scene, too–still would have agreed with what Jesus says on that subject.)

But I don’t want to distract further from MacD’s sermon by explaining where I think the contextual distinction lies (which would take quite a bit of time to establish.) So I’ll just go on, and save that topic for its own thread someday… :wink:

Today’s entry:

Today’s entry:

Opps! Been a while since I posted a new entry (Christmas holiday weekend + trying to catch up on backposts here on the forum + ‘work’ work at the end of the year…) Sorry.

Today’s entry:

Today’s entry:

Today’s entry (which, like most of his imaginary dialogues, is among my favorite portions of all his work–not least because, like most of his dialogues, it speaks to my own failings :wink: ):

Today’s entry:

Today’s entry:

I can personally testify to all those examples, by the way!! :laughing: :laughing:

Today’s entry (next to last for this sermon):

Today’s entry (finale for this sermon):

Next sermon: “The Word of Jesus on Prayer”