The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

I thankfully wrote recently: Trump’s weaknesses have Not produced any major crises to test him. But now a threat he didn’t cause brings our greatest test, at least since WWII. Some missteps are being confronted. Let us now pray for unity, trust in a time where it’s scarce, and that our administration can successfully rise to the level of leadership this challenge needs.

Here is what was reported in your news:
"“What do you say to millions of Americans who are scared?” - Peter Alexander

“I say that you are a terrible reporter.” - Trump"

Here’s what was actually said. See what I mean about having to LOOK FOR the truth?

" > ALEXANDER: Is it possible that your impulse to put a positive spin on things may be giving Americans a false sense of hope, and misrepresenting the preparedness right now —

TRUMP: No, I don’t think so. I don’t think so. No, I don’t think so. I think —

ALEXANDER: The sale, not-yet-approved drug —

TRUMP: Such a lovely question. Look. It may work, and it may not work. And I agree with the doctor, what he said. May work, may not work. I feel good about it. That’s all it is. It’s just a feeling, right, you know? I’m a smart guy. I feel good about it. And we’re gonna see — you’re gonna see soon enough. And we have certainly some very big samples of people, if you look at the people, a lot of people that are in big trouble. And this is not a drug that obviously, I think I can speak from a lot of experience, because it’s been out there for over twenty years. So it’s not a drug that you have a huge amount of danger with, it’s not like a brand new drug that’s just been created that may t have have an unbelievable, monumental effect, like kill you. We’re gonna know very soon. And I can tell you, the FDA is working very hard to get it out. Right now, in terms of malaria, if you want it, you can have a prescription. You get a prescription. And by the way — and it is very effective. It works. I have a feeling you may — and I am not being overly optimistic or pessimistic. I sure as hell think we ought to give it a try. I mean, there’s been been some interesting things happened, and some very good things. Let’s see what happens. We have nothing to lose. You know the expression, “What the hell do you have to lose?” Okay?

ALEXANDER: So what do you say — I’ll just follow up. So what do you say Americans who are scared, though? I guess — nearly 200 dead; 14,000 who are sick; millions, as you witnessed, who are scared right now, What do you say Americans who are watching you right now who are scared?

TRUMP: I say that you are a terrible reporter. That’s what I say. Go ahead. I think it’s a very nasty question, and I think it’s a very bad signal that you are putting out to the American people. The American people are looking for answers, and they’re looking for hope, and you’re doing sensationalism. And the same with NBC and Concast. I don’t call it “Comcast,” I call it “Concast.” Let me just tell — [for] whom you work. Let me just tell you something. That’s really bad reporting. And you ought to get back to reporting instead of sensationalism. Let’s see if it works. It might, and it might not. I happen to feel good about it. But who knows? I have been right a lot. Let’s see what happens. John? — You ought to be ashamed of yourself."

Now I just received this today. They are from the Patheos’, Evangelical and Catholic newsletters. :smiley:

Well, anyway:

• I’m watching President Trump’s COVID-19 task force briefing. It looks very good. Although the Illinois governor, is being publicly critical. I’ll mention this without comment.

• I was at an online homeopathic seminar today called ‘Series on the Coronavirus Pandemic with Sunil Anand & Kim Elia’. It was excellent.

• Medicine man Russell Four Eagles has some herbal medicine. I’ll test it out in prevention. I know him well and believe he can communicate with plants. I’ll share his Theosophical Society videos here.

• The healing group the Bruno Groening Circle of Friends, had their new group meeting today - via their new online center (AKA IGR). It’s quite excellent and can reach many people

Randy, that comment rekindled memories of what I have written in my autobiography (which will never be published but will hopefully be of some value to my offspring who will read it). It has a chapter about my late wife Alida, including the following:

"Alida was a believer in alternative medicine and in eating healthy food. She learned about homeopathy from her Mama. I was a skeptic until our first child, Yetta, developed eczema when we lived in Zambia. I wrote the following letter to the National Post (a mainstream newspaper in Canada) in response to an article that had appeared in the paper one Saturday.

Professor Timothy Caulfield, in his self-proclaimed “rant” against the practice of homeopathy, claims “there is no evidence that homeopathy works” and “good research consistently tells us that homeopathic treatments do not work any better than placebos do”. I can offer some real life evidence from personal experience.

At nine months, our daughter developed eczema, an unpleasant skin condition. Drugs and ointments were prescribed for her by medical doctors. None worked. Eventually, my wife and I took her to a homeopath. She was 20 months old. After questioning us for about an hour, he prepared remedies in the form of powders and pills to be taken orally. Soon she was completely free of eczema. It never re-occurred. She is now 45.

It would be ludicrous to suggest that the powders and pills we administered produced some form of placebo effect. A 20-month old child cannot reason for herself. To dismiss, even ridicule, the practice of homeopathy in such a pejorative manner and describe it as “bogus treatment” is to display arrogance and suggest, at best, a lack of research. How can one travel “down the road of rational debate” with a closed mind?

"My letter was published in the Post’s edition of January 23, 2013. The homeopath who cured Yetta was a Dr. McGowan. We had to drive about 100 miles from Alida’s home in Surrey to the town where he had his office. It was Alida who managed to locate him. We only had to visit Dr. McGowan once.

"Alida kept “remedies” for every sort of medical problem that we and the family might suffer from. She also plied us with vitamins, magnesium tablets and I don’t know what else. On the whole she kept us all extremely healthy in body and mind.

“I also owe so much to my dear wife for helping me get through a deep depression. That’s another story. Suffice it to say, I was plied with homeopathic medicines. They did the job, even on a skeptic like me!”

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing some good feedback. :smiley:

I have presented a rebuttal before, from the US Washington National Homeopathic Pharmacy site at

I’ll reproduce it here.

But I do use homeopathy…I’ll point you to Washington National…A US homeopathic pharmacy, that has been around since 1873

Let me quote a bit:

There is a large and growing body of scientific research in the field of homeopathy. Available papers cover basic science studies (looking at the physical and chemical properties of remedies), pre-clinical studies (looking at the effect of homeopathic remedies on plants and animals), and clinical studies (looking at the effects of homeopathic remedies on humans). Those who try to portray homeopathy in a negative way often argue that there is little scientific research available on the topic. This claim is false. Homeopathy has been widely studied for over 200 years.

Dr. Iris Bell M.D., Ph.D. (University of Arizona College of Medicine) has compiled the most comprehensive list of research papers available in this field (over 6,000) and made it available to members of the homeopathic community. We, in turn, make it available to you. To view the list, click here: Homeopathic Research

Finally, here are the first of many well-done summaries on research in the field on homeopathy for patients suffering from a variety of ailments. The information in the following articles is intended for informational purposes only. Please remember, if you have any of the conditions mentioned in the research below, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed practitioner for treatment options.

You can also spend some time at:

But I still avail myself to modern medicine - when needed. And other ancient healing modalities, like Ayurveda and Traditional Chinese Medicine. And the history of American homeopathy is covered in this song.

Note: I’m an academic field researcher and a scientific person. I don’t SELL homeopathy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Native American healing ceremonies, Charismatic Christian healing, spiritual healing groups, etc. Nor do I advocate that these replace modern medicine, but complement it.

• The US TCM site Active Herb has produced articles showing TCM and modern medicine, working together in China on COVID-19.

• When I was with the Two Feathers Medicine Clan (AKA Native American medicine people), folks with them used BOTH Native American healing ceremonies and modern medicine.

• And when I hung around Roman Catholic priest Father A., who “allegedly” had the gift of healing and hearing God speak. Well, when he got sick he used prayer, church sacraments, modern medicine and TCM.

And if and when they produce a successful COVID-19 vaccine, that has been thoroughly tested and approved - I will take it.

People have got to do the research for themselves… Then make up their own mind.

One could also argue that Christian healing (and other spiritual and ancient healing approaches) is a placebo effect.

• But it would render all the scientific research, that Roman Catholic medical doctors and scientists do, before declaring visiting a site like Lourdes - a miracle.

• Or the success report investigation around the world, of the Bruno Groening Circle of Friends medical group.

• Or the 6000 + scientific research studies I referenced earlier, by a Ph.D. and MD researcher.

This is like the ‘Lord of the Rings’ movie. Where COVID-19 is the enemy. And ALL join together, to battle the enemy. :smiley:

1 Like

My mother has always encouraged us
as a family to take the likes of milk thistle for liver function, echinacea at the first sign of a common cold, lavender for sleep issues,Tea tree oil for infections, and good old honey and warm salt water for throat and mouth infections etc… it’s always served us well as a family.

It has always made me wonder why Christ applied his spit/clay rubbed together
For healing at John 9:6-7. May be Christ
Was pointing to healing agents with in spittle and clay.

Clay
Uses of Bentonite Clay
Bentonite clay is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Think of bentonite clay as a sponge. It absorbs dirt and oil, like sebum. Too much sebum can lead to acne. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties may help your skin heal.

Spittle
Saliva contains growth factors such as epidermal growth factor, VEGF, TGF-β1, leptin, IGF-I, lysophosphatidic acid, hyaluronan and NGF, which all promote healing,

Just a thought 🤷🏻

The president suggests the restrictions may be far worse than the virus, all who need a test get one, hospitals get all the masks they need, a vaccine will come “in record time,” and the economy will roar back “like a rocket ship.”

I hope he’s right, and if it proves so, he’ll deserve real credit. Until then, I am listening to Dr. Fauci and limiting my contact.

Psalms 41

Blessed is the one who considers the poor!
In the day of trouble the Lord delivers him;

the Lord protects him and keeps him alive;
he is called blessed in the land;
you do not give him up to the will of his enemies.

The Lord sustains him on his sickbed;
in his illness you restore him to full health

1 Like

Matthew 25

Then He will say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, I was naked and you did not clothe Me, I was sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’

45 Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’

46 And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Someone’s opinion:

" > This was the media’s time to shine, a moment when we needed clear, objective information delivered by intelligent people who asked the important questions people care about so Americans could protect themselves and their families. It was a critical juncture when the media could step up and show us all that yes, the media is still important. It still matters. It still deserves our respect.

Instead we got, “Mr. President, isn’t accurately pointing out that the coronavirus originated in China racist?”

Really.

That was a thing.

Pointing out that the Wuhan flu came from Wuhan is racist.

Yep. If there’s any silver lining to be found shining forth from the grim Chinese Flu dustup, Leftymedia’s most spectacular self-beclownment to date—along with the collateral damage they incur from it—would have to be it."
http://coldfury.com/2020/03/21/the-teflon-don/

Big brother is watching you. He knows all about you, all your activity, who you talk to, and whether or not you are complying with the COVID-19 stipulations about who and how many people you can be with at any time and place. I didn’t know until this morning that my life is an open book to my cell phone provider. Scary? Or comforting? I’ll have another read of Huxley’s Brave New World and Orwell’s 1984.

1 Like

This was written during Obama’s reign, but is good advice concerning the 2nd amendment to keep in mind for any over-reaching President, including Trump or any to follow:

" Why, this is charming news to be hearing on a Saturday night.

On March 16th, President Obama signed a new Executive Order which expands upon a prior order issued in 1950 for Disaster Preparedness, and gives the office of the President complete control over all the resources in the United States in times of war or emergency.

The National Defense Resources Preparedness order gives the Executive Branch the power to control and allocate energy, production, transportation, food, and even water resources by decree under the auspices of national defense and national security. The order is not limited to wartime implementation, as one of the order’s functions includes the command and control of resources in peacetime determinations.

The text is here, along with some sobering commentary.

This is the reason for the 2nd amendment. We should immediately contact our local police departments and ask them what they plan to do if the government attempts to exercise this power without a true national emergency, as they will be the first ones to be told to clap the chains on the people. After that, we need to contact our political representatives and ask them the same question, and demand that they also contact those in authority in the military to determine where their loyalties will lie.

The President will try something, and we the people will need to demand that a stop be put to this before Obama fancies himself a northern version of Hugo Chavez."
-the dailytimewaster blog

Additionally Trump touted Hydrochloriquine with Zpak as a treatment and felt good about it. So what did the media do? They usual suspects immediately tried to show this drug combo as being worthless and dangerous despite many legit Doctors stating it was worth trying out on consenting patients. It may be effective in many or just some people but it does help a certain amount of people.

2 Likes

At least with media to which I subscribe, I find they deliver excellent information about the virus, appropriate measures to take,and the questions that remain about it. A possible qualm for me is that there is such a ream of info in my mail and inbox that it can foster a bit of paranoia, when hopefully it will just reinforce each of us taking prudently wise measures, and trusting the rest to God.

I agree. This is why I primarily subscribe to BBC News, Morning Brew, and Weekly World News. :smiley:

The best thing to do, obviously, is only pay attention to sites who dump on Trump, right? Because he cannot do anything right. And Europeans are oh so fair and balanced.
Just sayin’ - if you want to get the truth you have to work for it. Europeans have their own problems, bigger than ours.

The BBC sometimes dumps on Trump. If you have a writer, who doesn’t like him. But more of their articles, IMHO - are really Trump neutral. And Morning Brew and Weekly World News never dump on him. :crazy_face:

In fact, Weekly World News had a positive spin - in their recent story. :crazy_face:

Let me quote a bit. :crazy_face:

Vice President Pence invited Bat Boy to the podium in The White House Press Room to announce his negative test results. Bigfoot, his Vice Presidential running mate and Ph.D., Ape, his campaign advisor joined Bat Boy for his announcement.

And these recent BBC stories, look Trump positive - or at least Trump neutral. . :smiley:

I get the feeling that you and Bob think if two different sources have different narratives, that they cancel each other out? Of course, we ALL want the truth (unless it is a compendium of good that Trump has done, which Bob won’t even acknowledge - fair and balanced? lol) - but sorry to say, I work at it harder than you do. Doesn’t mean I’m always right BUT I do think it is possible to find that truth, and no amount of BBC waffling opinions have much to do with it. Their bias, as Europe as a whole, is blatant. I have to read them of course, but I don’t find their opinions worthy of much discussion.
I hope you’re happy with the senile Joe Biden as your next president. lol