The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

The reason is that some live in area’s that have very high crime, and the crime can be and is sometimes violent. Those who live in relative benign communities are indeed blessed, but have no idea what it is like to fear for your life, or safety day in and day out.

You can say (and it is easy for you/us to say) just move, but many do not have the wherewithal to do this.

“God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.” :wink:

2 Likes

In cases where people are gunned down in real time? Put a bullet in the perps head.

1 Like

Or, if you’ve taken guns away from now-helpless citizens, let him put a bullet in your/your wife’s/your kids heads.

2 Likes

Yep, and the Australian, (soon to be New Zealand) European thought on gun control always looks down their noses on Americans… Not knowing the particulars of our situation. AND, the second Amendment is the very thing that affords the Americans a freedom from Governmental intrusion that those other countries have today.

Just a thought :joy:

Urging more vigilante executions perfectly fits this topic’s question about life in the kingdom today :slight_smile:

What are you talking about Chad? You guys are telling everyone all the time how free and safe guns make you… all the while looking down your noses through a scope — it seems quite bizarre. It is absolutely 100% your choice to do so, no arguments there; it’s just NOT something in the Aussie mindset and the raw evidence shows in terms of safety that our system works for us — it seems each to their own.

You just twisted the entire thing, congratulations. That was despicable.
You may call self-defense a vigilante execution - which makes me glad you don’t have my back.

Ok that was harsh. But no harsher than being accused of wanting vigilante executions.

1 Like

davo - I just don’t know how we would go about that in the US. The supply of black-market weapons is huge and constant. Plus we have 13x the population in the same size area which raises its own problems.
I still haven’t heard a good proposal that would actually work, from the anti-gun proponents over here. Australia’s solution has worked very well for Australia - that could change at any moment, but of course we hope not - but obviously we are not Australia.
I still think that here, gun control via screening, and more awareness in schools and such, is the best we can do. Sadly.
Thinking about it, there are more factors that make a comparison of Australia and the US troublesome.
We have a southern neighbor run by drug cartels. Because of idiots in the gov’t, our borders have been so permeable that those cartels have established gangs such as ms-13 and others in our cities, to broker the drugs. We have been stupid. Along with the drugs comes the violence and the easy supply of weapons escalates things.
Also - you are somewhat insulated so far from forces trying to destroy you. We are not.
And here is a very interesting tidbit, that I’m not sure what to do with. Cities - and all the following cities have strict gun laws - are the nexus of the problem/
I don’t know what to make of the whole thing, frankly.

I should run down those numbers, even though I have seen them in a number ofplaces.

1 Like

Probably true… but black-market aside, there is just no way your NRA will let any of their legit market diminish as that would be a direct challenge to their bottom-line, so that ain’t happening.

Unfortunately logic dictates somewhere at some time in our future some such hate-crime will happen again, but our 1996 Port Arthur massacre was our wake-up call which helped clean things up. We actually have more weapons now than then but not in terms of freely available assault military-grade weaponry that is typically used in mass shooting (or at least was used here and most recently in NZ).

Probably comparisons can’t be made BUT you guys have had a fully entrenched gun culture way before your southern drug problems… like guns are just part of your DNA — your 2nd Amendment etc.

Hmm… it seems to me you really do have a more genuine “in-house” threat — like your own weapons used by your own people ON your people take more lives than foreign terrorists have.

Interesting about those Cities you mention… I wonder if in time the Trumpian idea might catch on to reflect life in ancient Israel where in some parts they had walled cities — seriously, where given time your so-called “bad guys” are driven out??

Wow, the self-righteousness is thick around here, ain’t it? lol
So-called ‘bad guys’? Gang rapes, gang shootings, drug pushing etc. So-called? Funny man.

In-house? How many terrorist plots have had over there? Why?
You’re dumping on America is just so …tiresome and wrong.
IF that’s the best you got - just wallow in the wonderfulness of Australia. Don’t worry, we have your back.

1 Like

“That was despicable… to call self-defense an execution… be accused of wanting vigilante executions.”

DaveB2.O,

It’s fine to interpret Gabe’s words differently than I, or see mine as despicable. But for the record, your interpretation of my words is mistaken: I was not opposing self-defense, hearing that as his intended meaning, or accusing you at all.

FWIW, I cited his quote that though it may “sound sick,” bringing a hostage-taker or attacker in alive is “absurd.” For “they should be killed on site.” I responded that I opposed citizens “summarily executing perceived offenders” when our system would allow for a legal process. I heard the response to that, “put a bullet in the perps’ head,” not as agreeing that my interpretation of an optional “execution” was indeed problematic, but as responding that if one was there in the actual “time” where the crime was committed, one should indeed not allow them to enter the justice system alive, but execute them with a shot to the head.

It’s possible I misunderstood what was recognized here as sounding sick, but I am glad that we agree that citizens taking the execution of ‘justice’ into their own hands should not be encouraged. Though I do fear our passions sometimes lead us to talk past each other.

Dave… you are so unbelievably touchy and thin-skinned that having any rational dialogue with you is nigh on impossible!! NONE of what I wrote was said with any degree or intimation of malice OR self-righteousness. I used, by way of example, YOUR VERY OWNbad guys” term used by yourself in this thread (do a word-search) — a term your own NRA chief also proudly burnishes.

Unbelievable Dave!! One thing is for sure… I won’t be spitting the dummy, taking my bat and ball and going off to sulk in some self-righteous self-imposed silence. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Everything depends on circumstances. For example. If someone is riding a mule…and they insult the mule…this is reasonable grounds - for gun play.

But first - from the BBC: There’s trouble brewing, in the Canadian North

Also, according to the BBC. If someone insults your mule, you can probably find a gun man or woman - on the Dark Web:

Jussie Smollett is a great example of the system being broke. Fake crimes are premeditated and have the potential to incite race riots, which magnify hate, violence and murder. Vigilante Justice is borne out of injustice of the system. When you see vigilante justice, it is because the system is broken. People need justice of some sort, and they will naturally gravitate towards a method that will grant it. If our system was as great as you say, in the USA, then why so much perceived injustice for rapists, murderers? They can walk if they have enough money, or exist as a minority on some level.

1 Like

Gabe, I resonate with your sense that our system is broken, and indeed each of your examples. But I still think it’s a myth that societies that urge or condone vigilante justice and executions provides the right solution.

2 Likes

As Bob mentioned earlier i think Mueller in the end was impartial despite my concerns about the clear bias of the people he hired. I think he did that so that he could be confident about gathering all the evidence available and then leaving it to himself to be a fair arbiter in the final analysis. He cleared Trump of collusion and didn’t conclude anything about obstruction because that is a much more fuzzy and ambiguous area. Not charging Trump with obstruction correctly left that decision to the people who should decide that area.

2 Likes

I think Mueller was bad news as special prosecutor: he was biased against Trump, and sought to intimidate and manipulate witnesses to destroy Trump. The good news is that now it should be hard to argue he showed any favoritism toward Trump (!)

I respect that Mueller was a Marine who served in Vietnam with distinction; but he is no straight-arrow Boy Scout; it is suggested he may even be “deep state”:

Looks like for a lot of us Christians, we need to resist evil people with all we have—guns and other means of killing the wicked. It is simply necessary for our own protection, and that of our loved ones, to throw out the window the teaching of the One who instructed His disciples, “Do not resist not an evil person.”

"You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles." (Matthew 5:38-41 ESV)

IF WE WON’T OBEY OUR MASTER, WHY DO WE CONTINUE TO CALL OURSELVES “CHRISTIANS”?

I think folks here - who advocate gun freedom - look on guns, as a last resort. Of course, one could argue - the same for wars. Let Nazi Germany, ISIS, North Korea - do (or did) - what they want. Unless we - or someone - stops (or stopped) them.

1 Like

Wow, even “the deep state” assuring us that there is no case that Trump’s team conspired or coordinated with the Russians shows how deviously deep the real conspiracy is.