The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

“You are an outsider and should conduct yourself as such.”

Despite being outnumbered by Americans, I think all forum members should be as welcome to offer their take on the U.S. set up as I am as native born and thankful to be here. We did not set up this site for Americans, or to call others outsiders.

1 Like

First of all your point that ‘We did not set up this site for Americans’ I agree, but you both are obviously putting forth the idea you have,which is great and of it self a view… But Americans are here on this site as well and have ideas.

But my idea of a constitutional understanding of the US law, seems to rankle many of you. Bob, you are a citizen… You are smart and I would assume have an understanding of constitutional law…

David… Well, Australia is what it is. :roll_eyes:

Interestingly, I had watched part of a movie while on the treadmill. It was called “law abiding citizen” It was a thought provoking movie. Quite intense too, I might add.

1 Like

Now here’s an interesting story, from today’s BBC news:

I haven’t read the article yet. I wonder if it covers the butterfly effect?

According to the BBC today, there is some unrest in Australia

And who is it that played Flip Wilson’s wife?

The correct perspective? From The Federalist:

Mass shootings are “one of the rarest mortality risks imaginable,” as Cato’s Alan Reynolds has pointed out. From 1982 to early 2018, mass shootings account for around 23 deaths per year. Not kids; all deaths. An American has a far higher chance of drowning in a swimming pool (3,500 per year) or perishing on a bike (over 700) or being punched, knifed, or kicked to death (over 1,800.) To put it in perspective: Right now, there are around 42 million young people between the ages of 10 and 19 in the country.
If you want to talk about a greatest threat to American mortality; you should be talking about the 250,000 people—or ten percent of all deaths—in the United States that can likely be attributed to medical mistakes, according to a recent Johns Hopkins study.
If average kids should be petrified about anything, it’s getting into a car with their parents who are taking them to a hospital for routine surgery. If parents should be scared of anything, it’s the mental health of their kids, because child suicide rates have been slightly rising over the past few years. Yet, more young people from the ages of 15-24 (the CDC has this age group as a data set, which doesn’t really tell the full story because deaths skew towards the young adults rather than the teens) die from “unintentional poisoning”—or drug overdoses—than gun homicides or suicides.
None of this is to say that every death isn’t a tragedy or that we shouldn’t come up with reasonable methods to try and curb criminality. The problem is that American politicians, in an effort to gain power, like to act as if we live in a dystopian world of murder and mayhem when really the opposite is true.

2 Likes

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/mainstream-media-changes-border-crisis-illegal-immigration

Months after repeatedly dismissing and mocking President Trump’s claim of a national emergency at the Southern U.S. border, the mainstream media is grappling with reality, with no less than The New York Times declaring the border crisis at “breaking point.”

1 Like

I got to wondering, what type of spark plugs…Donald Trump uses in his cars? Well, I had a mechanic friend - change my spark plugs. Now he has passed away. But I am pretty good at research. And I discovered that most (or all) spark plug companies, make plugs for different cars. And the best quality control, is from Japan - IGR and Denzo. Well, I went with Denzo - long life plugs. As I checked (and cross checked) places like Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts and NAPA. And I went with iridium plugs, as this mechanic recommends. And if you want good advice - on engine oil, transmission oil, power steering fluid and gasoline additives - go with Lucas products. Listen up, Donald Trump!

Hum! I wonder what criteria Donald Trump uses, to choose a maid?

I now see a reason, according to today’s BBC news…to take a trip to China:

The all-singing, all-dancing Chinese Trump opera

Allow me to interject here: I wonder what the Canadians who accuse Donald Trump of being a dictator - dictating to the media, for instance - think of Trudeau’s $600M initiative back in November to give money to “journalists” who are “trusted sources”. Criteria to be set by people appointed by Trudeau! The government already owns CBC.

I listened to CBC for years into 2016 until I noticed that what they were reporting about Trump’s words was not at all what I had heard him say in a speech he had just delivered.

I happened upon CBC News yesterday and they are pro-Julian Assange. We’ll see how that works out.

BTW, it is pretty presumptuous to call Trump ‘unqualified’. He has done extremely well in every aspect of his presidency so far.

3 Likes

YOU REALLY DON’T GET IT DO YOU! The American founding fathers designed the citizenry as the F…ing Army against the Government. I can’t believe such seemingly smart people are so out of sync with history. :roll_eyes:

I find interesting the premium some put on having powerful enough weapons to be able to kill off our American government’s armed forces and law-enforcement personnel. I grieve for the courageous risks they already take against evil people. So magnifying their fear of vigilantes with the most advanced armaments who don’t like our form of gov’t or our leaders in Washington is not something I’d want to add to their plate.

Instead of being a pill Chad, you need to take one. Like I wrote that above 17 days ago and you only now comment on it; AND YOU COMPLETELY IGNORE that I said what I said as pertinent to the Australian / NZ context — not yours! And you bleat to me about not getting it… fair dinkum!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Bob, obviously that is the point. If you want to limit law abiding gun ownership in the unfortunate situation that a citizen with a gun does an atrocity, you are taking away the rights of many law abiding citizens. Most of the time the perpetrator has a history of problems.

As to the need or reality of a armed citizenry to quell a government, don’t be so smug in your assertions. We are the greatest free nation for a reason.

2 Likes

Your context is as relevant to those living in the USA and reading this forum as my view to those living in Australia or NZ. Though we live in different geographical locations, and have different governments, our views are going to be what they are. No I do not IGNORE your position only point out that you word your position to avoid being boxed in. :thinking:

Utter rubbish

Says you

I find it interesting…that Chad and Davo, are usually on the same page - theologically…But can be at odds, politically. :wink:

1 Like

HF, that’s hard for me to miss too. But I don’t think it’s an unusual insight here. For example, DaveB’s exegesis and theological brilliance seems as close to mine as anyone’s, yet many of our instincts about American political issues are much less simpatico.

But over the years here, I’ve learned not to assume that because someone has questioned the old ECT paradigm, it will mean that they also have become open to questioning all the things that I have. In some ways, each arena of thinking can have its own influences, and we need to allow each other to differ in various questions.