The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

Unless you think that clip is a spoof…

Simple question Dave… in that clip does Trump declare that he and he alone will shut down your government and HE would not blame anyone else for his declared actions — YES or NO?

Did you not hear it for yourself?
Now how about answering my questions? Why are you not focused on the REAL target here?
You do not have good information on this political struggle - all I can remember of you commenting on this thread is a regurgitation of Leftist spewing - I know both sides, but you have not had the chance, obviously, to be caught up, or you would be on ‘my’ side.

Actually, you are right, The Don wanted to own the shutdown, and then wanted to use it to demonize the Dems… But that is all politics, pure and simple. To think Trump is alone in that kind of rhetoric is kind of naïve… Though he does have a particularly irritating way of getting his point across.

Mr Obama was as smooth as silk when dealing with people and did some of the most destructive measures to the United States that have happened in Decades.:disappointed:

Chad, the problem is that davo uses this technique as his entire argument, without understanding the politics, he’s willing to say “Aha!!! Gotcha!!!” as if a battle has been won or something. If he EVER gave a balanced view on this stuff, I would take him seriously.

And of course he will say the same about me - but I actually DO know both sides.

" ‘You’re not getting the wall’: Chuck Schumer excoriates Trump in Senate floor speech as a government shutdown looms"
" * “Abandon your shutdown strategy. You’re not getting the wall today, next week, or on January 3 when Democrats take control of the House,” Schumer said.

• If Congress does not pass and Trump does not sign a spending measure by midnight Friday, parts of the federal government will shut down."
    " Chuck Schumer to Trump: ‘If You Want to Open the Government, You Must Abandon the Wall’"

Thanks Chad… I can appreciate your honesty. :clap:

Dave, first of all Davo does not live in the USA. So don’t get all cranked up about the posts, but he has a point about the ‘image’ of Mr. Trump. And it is a point that we can either recognize or ignore. Things get done, but if certain people would have taken the ‘how to win friends and influence people’ method maybe a bit more could have been done. Please don’t think I know more than Mr Trump, but he seems to be a scrapper, and that is what it is.

My wife says that he is only in his element when he is fighting… And that is a bit of a troubling thought.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes she is spot on! Trump seems to prefer a boxing match to tranquility. But this is really a sideshow, the main issue is border security. The difference between a physical barrier whether a wall or fence is that one keeps the migrants out and hi tech security means we catch them after they get in which makes the whole process much more complex and expensive. The Dems have reversed their prior position for political expedience and power.

There isn’t a wall build…that will keep the zombies of Z-Hell (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) out!

I’ve been recovering from a painful tooth extraction and only now am trying to catch up with the last weeks’ discussions!

As an immigrant myself, I am grateful for the country (Canada) that accepted me and my family of six (back then) in the seventies. Also for the Christians who also welcomed us and helped us with the adjustments we had to make - like learning the form of English spoken in North America.

We joined a Missionary church just north of Toronto. The congregation was responsible for assisting many families who had fled Vietnam, escaping in small boats. We provided homes, meals and general support. In return, we were introduced to Vietnamese cuisine. The relationship was mutually beneficial.

I am certain (and will be disappointed if this is not true) that the Christians who live in the States are doing what they can to assist those who are truly refugees from oppressive or unsupportive regimes. It would be nothing more than what God would expect. When we do provide a helping hand, we should be mindful of Jesus’ caution in Matt. 6:1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

Interesting you say that. I read an interview with Steve Bannon where he says one of Mr Trumps greatest strengths is to get people to focus on some obscure issue that really amounts to very little, but because of the way he approaches it, he is despised, all the while it frees him up to focus on what he really wanted to do unfettered.

That comment by Bannon may well be accurate except that border security is definitely not an “obscure issue” for the US, nor for Canada, nor for any other free nation. At least, several of the European countries, mostly in Eastern Europe, have grasped that fact and are taking steps to deal with it. So is Donald Trump despite the rabid opposition he is up against.

1 Like

Top 2018 achievements. Campaign promises kept, all good for the USA.
Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court
Confronting China
Middle-Class Wages Rise
U.S.-Mexico-Canada Trade Deal
Ending the Iran Nuclear Deal
Moving the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem
Smashing the ISIS Caliphate and Exiting Syria
Increasing Minority Jobs
Holding the Line with Migrant Caravans
Record American Oil Production

It would be nice to have only Americans comment on this, either for or against.

1 Like

:grin:

Maintenanceman has put up a video of a great speech from Admiral McRaven on another thread. But since I want to offer a critical viewpoint of the speaker on political grounds, that seemed more appropriate to do over here.

I do make my bed every morning (as per the admiral’s speech), and am a better person for it! And I appreciate McRaven’s military service. Nevertheless, he seems to now be leaning left politically; and unlike him, I can’t find too much to commend about former CIA director John Brennan.

Here is a negative viewpoint of Admiral McRaven for your consideration. I can’t corroborate everything in it, except that the admiral’s friend John Brennan is indeed on record as having voted for Communist Party leader Gus Hall in the 1976 presidential election:

Thanks Norm

Oops - sorry!

Okay, Dave. I want to make it “nice” for you… so, as a Canadian, I will just say “No comment.”

Thanks Don. It’s not that I want it ‘nice’ though - I just want it for parties with a vested interest in what Trump has been doing for our country.
I could just watch CNN and find out what Canada and Australia think - but they are not part of the discussion on what Trump has done - so far, for America.