The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Ian's Sex Video.

In thinking about evolution and how things evolved gradually, I’ve always wondered how the two sexes evolved independantly of each other. I came across this video the other day. Ian makes some good points I think. :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1VWQEnnwM&feature=plcp

Blimey, talk about a provocative thread title, Catherine! I thought the EU Forum had suddenly gone X rated! :laughing:

I’ll have to check out the link anyway!

Cheers

Johnny

SOON TO BE THE MOST-READ THREAD ON THE FORUM!!!

[size=50](buy my novel. buy my novel. buy my novel.)[/size]

:mrgreen:

:laughing:

I watched the video, Catherine – very cute. :wink: And yeah, I may be in the minority here, but I agree. However God did it, I do believe that HE did it – created, I mean. And I am genuinely sorry if that offends anyone, but I can’t help it. Creation in whatever way or method the Creator chose to work makes far more sense to me than random chance.

Hahaha… very provocative title indeed! :laughing:

I watched the video, but I think he greatly errs by oversimplifying the graduality of changes. A lizard didn’t go to sleep with a belly full of eggs, and then wake the following day with a placenta. Incidental mutations that aided survival occured across millions of organisms over millions of years.

I’ve always wondered how a male and female could evolve at the same time and this is what Ian is trying to highlight in this video. It seems that evolution requires synchronization and dual ‘luck’. I’m struggling to word what I mean: it seems to be boiling down to irreducible complexity again. :wink:

If I disappear from this forum in the next day or two it is because I picked up a nasty computer virus yesterday. It’s the metropolitan police one, that ‘locks’ your computer and asks for money. It’s not come up today so far, but my windows security centre is ‘turned off’ and I can’t turn it on so I’m a bit worried to be on here at all. Bye for now…

Catherine,

I use Avast, which is free (tho I’ve upgraded to a paid version). Maybe you want to do a search for something beyond or other than the Windows security – maybe something else could arrest that police virus. Avast is pretty light-weight and I run it along with the Windows program.

Hi Cindy. It’s sorted now thanks. :smiley: I have Norton 360 installed, which didn’t stop this virus, and so I’ve downloaded Malwarebytes which they say is compatible with Norton and it’s removed over 200 viruses and everything seems to be working fine now. :wink:

The over-simplification of how two sexes reproduce without noticing that there are organisms that spontenously change sexes to accommodate it’s reproduction. The fact that humanity can change gender depending on how much testosterone or estrogen it gets, etc.

I used to be a hard-lined creationist, now I don’t care. :wink:

“Creation in whatever way or method the Creator chose to work makes far more sense to me than random chance.”

Cindy, we are so blinded by Modernity. Science didn’t EXIST until CHRISTIAN philosophers (specifically DesCartes) unequivocally advocated the INDEPENDENCE of the mind from Nature - that man WAS (as opposed to simply being an illusion of mechanistic nature). COGITO ERGO SUM, folks - I think therefore “I AM”. The self-same assertion GOD uses in defining himself from the burning bush. Once we actually EXIST independent of nature, we can HAVE reason, we can BE reasons – and we can observe Nature, make deductions, etc. SCIENCE!! Nature can’t observe herself, folks. But 300 years later, we have forgotten. (It took a centuries for Atheism to adopt Science as an alternative religion, because in it’s infancy, science’s metaphysical dependency was too culturally familiar.)

Now this idea of “RANDOMNESS”. People confuse the concept of LABELING something with EXPLAINING something. Science comes across something it can’t explain, and it creates a WORD. (This was Man’s job from the beginning - GOD created, and man named, if you know your Genesis myth). Anyone want to take a stab at EXPLAINING Randomness? Einstein couldn’t - hence his lifelong hang-up that ALL randomness had a causal mechanism. “God doesn’t play dice with the Universe”. We don’t want GOD in our lives, so we invent this OTHER fundamentally inexplicable force called “RANDOMNESS”. Nice. We’ve traded one inexplicable force for another, and the sheep say “Baaaaaa!”. And we Christian modernists, so thoroughly marinated in secular culture, don’t even question it - as Einstein most certainly did.

Even if we GRANT Randomness as “Natural” (though we will by definition never EXPLAIN it), then Nature has two creative engines at her disposal - mechanisms, and randomness. But you cannot create COLOR from any mixture of Black and White. Nor can Nature create sentient, self-observing autonomous consciousness from any mixture of randomness and mechanistic processes.

Wake up and smell the supernatural, people. The whole supposed “conflict” between science and the supernatural is a CANARD. Science is FOUNDED on the assumption that we have the (literally) supernatural ability to observe and hypothesize about nature.

Then, once you start getting into quantum physics, things get really weird.

The more advanced our science becomes, the more we “re-realize” how little we really know about how strange and wonderful this universe is that God created. The one that blew my mind is that matter is not solid physical reality, but rather the projection of energy from thought. Even the most dense portion of an individual atom is made up of mostly empty space and contains particles that regularly pop in and out of our existence. Where do they go when they disappear? :open_mouth:

Actually… It is now proven that there is not a lot of ‘empty space’ there are lots of things in that space that we just cannot see. It gets weird the smaller you go, things don’t behave as most people thought it should go.

It is most likely we are a simulation from an advanced civilization computer program.
simulation-argument.com/

Specifically there is zero-point energy, which is not natural energy, and is not affected by natural energy, but which introduces effects into Nature and in fact regularly generates natural particles.

To be blunt, it’s magic. :mrgreen: But strictly and technically speaking it is at least supernatural energy.

In some ways it behaves in an apparently random and non-rational fashion, like it’s simply percolating and generating effects that way; and in other ways it holds the place of omniscient rational observation necessary to collapse quantum indeterminacy and keep reality “really there”.

Which leads to… let us say… numerous creative interpretations. :wink:

(By no coincidence whatever, it happens to correspond to my theory in SttH of the self-sacrifice of God’s action in intentionally creating not-God reality, thus is the shekinah mode of the Person of the Son with strong connections to the operations of the Person of the Holy Spirit in bringing God to Nature and vice versa. :sunglasses: Although I learned about zero-point energy after writing SttH.

It is also no coincidence that it happens to correspond to the Puria in CoJ, by which the klerosa used to work miracles, and which even good magi treat as an impersonal force to scientifically study for purposes of manipulation by willpower, thus introducing effects into the world–some of effects of which involve “vitalization” of natural material. It’s also the ocean of fire surrounding the demons from which they are trying to escape, which they regard as merely being an impersonal force of punishment from God but through which they also strain to see glimpses of the future–which they then attempt to abuse for their own selfish reasons.)

Yeah, interesting stuff for sure. I remember them talking about the known particles (at the time, not apparently including the smaller ones they couldn’t see and presuming empty space) in What the bleep do we know?, and they were talking about how these particles would just wink in and out randomly, and no one really knows where they go or where they come from…and also that they appear to behave totally randomly until observed (per Heisenberg uncertainty principle). So these mysterious particles behave differently when they are observed vs. when they are “left to their own devices”. That’s just…weird, and mysterious, to say the least.

I just like the physicist who found the universe ‘background noise’ seems random and abstract, when converted to binary code has a distinct order and sequence. He went instantly from atheist to agnostic, and still unable to believe in God, came up with the theory we are actually a programmed simulation perpetrated from an outside intelligence (ie. God :stuck_out_tongue:)

Yes, amazing!

When observed it behaves as it should and when not observed it behaves irrationally.

There is also a part of the theory that says, once it is observed it is ‘locked’ into place (or constantly doing the observed action) where prior it neither existed or did not exist in the manner it was prior to being observed. This leads to some really crazy theories such as the ‘real’ reason space is expanding so rapidly is because we are observing it more and more.

Kind of like children! (Well, sometimes anyway… :laughing: )

This reminds me of the quote from Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars) “Your focus determines your reality”. Perhaps there’s something to that.

How do we know it’s behaving irrationally if we’re not observing it?

Catherine, I watched this documentary called “Why Sex?” a couple of days ago. I really recommend it as it addresses your question about the origins of sexual dimorphism (insofar as we presently understand). I actually recommend subscribing to that channel. It uploads informative documentaries on evolution frequently and I’ve found it incredibly helpful (“Inside Nature’s Giants” is a pretty cool series).