The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Jesus said FEW would find the way that leads to life

Matthew 7:13-14 " Enter through the narrow Gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. FOR THE GATE IS SMALL AND THE WAY IS NARROW THAT LEADS TO LIFE, AND THERE ARE FEW WHO FIND IT."

But Sonia, Studentoftheword, JeffA and Aaron want you to believe that all will see this life. Jesus says there are FEW who will find this life. Who is speaking truth? I think I will trust Jesus.

Correct, there will be few who enter through the narrow gate. What is the point you are trying to make?

The point is that Few will find eternal Life…Not All people as you preach.

Which is the very humbling message of the Gospel - the rest are other gospels where pride takes root in excluding other sinners - that’s the very broad way of ‘religion’.

You’re in, we’re out - vaulting pride strutting its stuff. You may know what you have been taught - but you don’t know the Gospel - yet.

It is still obvious you don’t know what we believe, nor do you seem to care to know or understand.

Studentoftheword.

Ok. Show me in the Gospels where Jesus taught Universalism. Just show me one verse.

Born Again,

I do not, in fact, believe that all will find this life, because I do not believe that Christ is talking about a post-mortem blessing here. Perhaps you should simply ask me what I believe about a certain verse before making assumptions.:frowning:

Aaron.
You say All people will eventually find this life that Jesus says only FEW who actually find it.

Show me in the Gospels where Jesus taught Universalism.

‘As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it.’

That’s the plan of the Trinity. And so it will be.

Jesus said it in everything. :slight_smile:

We shown you several, yet you deny they exist. Why should we continue in a useless exercise for your amusement?

Do you believe that His discples and apostles know more about what He taught than even you?

If yes, you are without excuse Jesus spoke concerning all Scripture that which was and is and is to come.

If no, then you are deluded and think more highly of yourself than you ought to and will reap the consequence of such mind.

Not only have I not said this, I’ve explicitly said otherwise. You are misrepresenting my position on this verse, Born Again. Once again, instead of making assumptions, it would be wiser of you to just ask me what I believe concerning a verse. It seems all you’re really interested in is attacking the views of others instead of trying to better understand them so that fruitful discussion can take place. If your goal in joining this forum was to win converts to your belief system, I’d strongly recommend you changing your approach and strategy.

John 12:32. Again, universalism = all people will be drawn to Christ. Do you think Christ is unable to draw all people to himself, or unwilling to do so?

Studentoftheword.

I have asked you to give one verse in the Gospels where Jesus Taught Universalism and you have yet to do so. Maybe, I’m not making it clear enough. So, I will ask again. Remember Student, I’m asking for scripture from the Gospels that have the red letters where Jesus taught Universalism. Ok? Please do not give John12:32 for it has already been refuted and explained its real meaning. Surely John 12:32 is not the only scripture that you believe Jesus taught Universalism…there has to be many others right? Please show me. After all, if Universalism is true…Jesus must have taught it everywhere in the Gospels. I’m just asking you to show me where the master spoke of it. :smiley:

Aaron.
Do you not believe in Universalism? If yes, then you believe that everyone that has every lived will be saved eventually. If not in this life, in the afterlife. Correct? If I’m wrong on your position please let me know. If I’m correct, then you believe that All people will eventually find this Life that Jesus says only a FEW will find.

I’m not sure this is that hard, BA. Before Christ died, universalism wasn’t a reality, for there had been no universal sacrifice to atone for the sins of mankind. God’s sending of His son to die was His “yes” to humanity. His death conquered sin, and we are saved by His life. The Pauline letters that followed were a testament to that objective reality (all dead in Adam, all alive in Christ). Tell me where Christ’s work was limited? It was universal in scope, and to deny that is to deny the many Scripture passages teaching it.

Imagine it like this. You owed me $1 million, and in my last will & testament I agree to absolve you from that debt. But the language in the will reads that until I pass, you owe me $1 million. Would you wonder why I never mentioned this in my living years? Or would you merely accept the reality that prior to my death you owed me the money, but after my death you were released from the debt? In other words, is God not free to declare manking guiltless before Him? Did His death not achieve that? What was “finished”? Could Jesus have taught something that was not objectively true until He was crucified? You seem to be asking for answers to questions that are illogical.

False assumption there, BA. There is no good reason to assume that if UR is true, Jesus must have taught it everywhere in the Gospels. In fact, I deny that he was trying to get anyone to believe UR during his earthly ministry. I don’t think the hope of UR began to be proclaimed by as a truth to be believed until after Christ’s death, resurrection and ascension. :wink:

Now, here’s something for you to ponder, BA. Whether you believe in UR or not, it makes much more sense to think that the full revelation and proclamation of such a truth could be postponed by a loving God until a later time in redemptive history, since no one’s endless, post-mortem destiny could be jeopardized from their not believing it. However, if sinners have always been exposed to the possibility of being condemned to an irreversible state of endless suffering after death, and man’s avoidance of this nightmarish fate has always been conditioned on something he must do before he dies, then one would expect that a loving God would have made this unquestionably clear to all men, and warned them continuously of what was in store for them did they not repent - not merely in Jesus’ day, but from the moment man first sinned. But is this what we find? Not even close. There is not so much as a hint dropped that anyone, by their sin, had exposed themselves to an irreversible post-mortem punishment of endless duration. Both the OT and the NT are completely silent on this.

Hey Fire and Brimstone.

you said:Could Jesus have taught something that was not objectively true until He was crucified? You seem to be asking for answers to questions that are illogical.

Yes!!! Jesus knew he was going to the Cross to redeem mankind before he actually did it…in God’s eyes it was a done deal …God planned it before time ( Acts 4:27-28)…sooo you would think if Universalism were to be true… Jesus would at least speak of it in the Gospels somewhere, right? The answers are illogical because they don’t exist. You will not find one peep from Jesus about Universalism. The Pauline letters teach who we are in Christ, what Christ did, etc… it does not teach Universalism. I agree with you…Universalism was not a reality before Christ went to the cross…Universalism is not a reality after the Cross. Before or After the Cross, if Universalism were to be true it would be a reality anytime.

All in Adam, All in Christ is a simple explanation. You have to exercise your Faith in Jesus to be “in Christ”. That is taught throughout the New Testament. We are not all in Christ just because He died on the Cross. It is by your faith you are in Christ and a child of God. (Galatians 3:26)

Paul taught universalism more explicitly than Jesus; but this words of Jesus I already understood as a kid as a hint towards universalism:

the parable of the lost sheep also implies universalism

btw, your threads ‘bornagain’ are in the wrong section I think, you should rather post in the “Discussion Negative” section

Correct. I believe everyone who has ever lived will ultimately be saved from sin and death at the end of Christ’s reign, when all are made alive in Christ. Until this takes place, however, I believe that only few have been and will continue to be granted the faith by which we are reconciled to God.

No, your assumption is mistaken. The “life” of which Christ is speaking in Matt 7:13-14 is the blessing of a reconciled relationship with God during the age of the Messianic reign, prior to the resurrection of the dead (which is when Christ subjects all people to himself, delivers the kingdom back to God, and God becomes “all in all”). Only relatively few people have and will enjoy the blessing in view here, since it is for believers only, and God is not granting faith to all people in this life. But Paul tells us that God is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe. Thus, even if you die without believing the good news that Christ is the Savior of the world, God is still going to save you from sin and death, because he is still your Savior. But this salvation that all will receive will not be the “life” of which Christ spoke in Matt 7:13-14, since this “life” pertains only to the salvation which may be enjoyed during the age of the Messianic reign - which, again, ends with the resurrection of the dead.

Good point, sven. Hopefully Born Again will take notice.