The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Objections to Univeralism

STT, I’m going to copy your post here for my own convenience. I know I’ll be saying some of the same things others have said, so please forgive me for that. I just don’t have time to read this whole thing.

I think this is precisely what has happened. People have an innate desire to know that some are “IN” (including themselves of course) and that others are “OUT,” particularly including those who have acted badly. They want their version of justice to be served. GOD’s version of justice is so much higher than ours, however, that it’s difficult for us to even comprehend it. God’s version of justice requires that everything be MADE RIGHT. Justice is not only that the wicked be made to pay for their crimes (which doesn’t happen with substitutionary atonement in any case), but that the effects of the crimes be reversed and that the wicked be restored to their former victims as the good and loving brothers/sisters they ought to have been to them from the start.

If my child betrays me, I don’t want my child to be destroyed in “just” punishment. I want her to be corrected and healed of her wickedness and RESTORED to me as the good and loving daughter she ought always to have been and never to have stopped being. Only in that way can justice truly be served. God has said He will wipe the tears from all faces. That means He will make ALL THINGS anew. He will make all things good and lovely in their time. Many, many people say they cannot stomach that state of affairs. How, they ask, could Himler be pardoned? Yet these same people allow that if Himler prayed the “sinners’ prayer” before he died, Himler is saved. At the same time, if one of Himler’s victims did NOT pray that prayer before she died, that victim is condemned to never-ending hell in anguish and torment. THAT is NOT justice. That is not making all things new. THAT is not the action of a God who is love.

I believe that the doctrine of Hell as traditionally taught IS the doctrine that appeals to itching ears. People want to hear that THOSE wicked people who hurt them will be consigned to eternal hellfire. They think this will satisfy justice. It will not. It cannot. It does not restore; it only perpetuates the agony.

The true doctrine, according to Jesus, is “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and strength, and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Then Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan and the needy Jew (the injured man). The Jews considered the Samaritans to be outcast to God. Yet the Samaritan (symbolic of Christ) ministered to the needs of a man who considered himself the enemy of Samaritans. He loved his enemy so much that he risked his own life and spent his own substance to care for the needs of his enemy. If the Samaritan loves his enemy so truly, how can he be served by a future in which his beloved enemy is tormented for all eternity?

The pleasures we must shun are those that hurt ourselves or others. If a pleasure (for example, drinking alcohol to excess) is harmful, then it is not consistent with loving our neighbor as ourselves. If a pleasure is wholesome, then it IS consistent with love and is not forbidden, but encouraged. At God’s right hand are pleasures forevermore, according to King David. Pleasure is a good thing, not a bad thing. Twisted and selfish pleasure is evil and harmful both to you and to others. Maybe it will make you feel “good” for a little while, but its fruit is death–not because it is forbidden, but because it is poison. If it is forbidden, it is forbidden BECAUSE it is harmful and will bring torment, NOT because it is fun.

Old Testament Judaism had little to do with a future life after death. The overwhelming focus with the Old Testament was life in THIS age. There was some talk of an age to come, but this comes chronologically late in the OT, and still appears to bespeak an earthly age which would affect the readers’ offspring, not the readers themselves.

Again, this is talk of an earthly, not a heavenly age. Carcasses are just that; carcasses. It bespeaks earthly ruin.

Aion means “world” or “age.” It’s a noun. It’s usually translated in one of these two ways, or something that means basically the same thing, but works better with the English grammar of the sentence.

Aionios is an adjective and as such, it is modified by the noun it modifies. Let me give an example. Let’s use the adjective “blue.” It means different things depending on the noun it modifies. If I’m in a blue mood, that means I feel sad. If I speak of the men and women in blue, I’m talking about police wearing a uniform that is usually, but not always blue in color. If I speak of the blue Caribbean, that’s a different blue than the blue I mean if I speak of the midnight sky. Aionios, when applied to God, means forever, simply because God, by His nature, has no beginning or end. Aionios punishment refers to the kind of punishment meted out by the Aionios God. It is the punishment of the Olam (Aionios) fires rained down on Sodom. The fires do not burn today, despite the fact they are described as Olam (Aionios). The punishment is Olam, even though according to Ezekiel, Sodom will be restored when Jerusalem is restored. It is punishment that comes from God and has the nature of God–that is, corrective punishment and not hopeless (and therefore pointless) punishment.

It’s my understanding (but Jason has probably already touched on this better than I could) that even aidios was not always (or perhaps even usually) used to mean what we today mean by “eternal.” Again, it is an adjective modified by its noun. As for the “eternal chains” holding the angels, they only last until the “judgment of the great day.” They’re not eternal either–not in the way WE mean “eternal.”

Bottom line is love. God commands us to love our enemies. Does that mean we ought to torture them forever, or annihilate them when we COULD save them? We are commanded to love our enemies so that we may be LIKE our Father in Heaven. Therefore, we must suppose that Jesus said what He meant–that GOD loves His enemies. WE were His enemies until He sent Jesus to reconcile us to Himself. NOTE: God does not say that HE needs to be reconciled to US, but that WE need to be reconciled to HIM. HE is not OUR enemy. WE are HIS enemies. The enmity is on OUR side, not on HIS.

If God loves His enemies, what does that look like? CAN He save His enemies? Well, is He all powerful or isn’t He? CAN He save His enemies without violating their free will? I submit that He saves His enemies (us) by MAKING us FREE. Paul was pretty clear about this. “The thing that I want to do, I do not do, and the sinful thing that I hate, THAT, I do. Oh wretched man that I am, who will free me from this body of death?” Paul said it was sin, dwelling in him doing the deeds he hated. In other words, Paul was NOT FREE. Jesus said, “Whom the Son sets free, that one is free indeed.” We think we are free, but that’s just our problem. WE are slaves to SIN. We’re not free at all. Jesus Christ came to set us free from sin. Yes, we can put Him off for a while, but as we become freer and freer–as we see ourselves for what we are, and sin for what it is, we will inevitably come to the point that we are willing to break free from the slavery and bondage of sin. It is CHRIST who sets us free. We are not free–we must BECOME free enough to take His hand and allow ourselves to be lifted up out of the mire and muck of sin. THIS is, I believe, the true meaning of “free will.” It is something to attain; NOT something we already have. Jesus came to make us free, and when we are free enough, we will turn our backs on sin and walk out of our prison, holding onto Him who strengthens us.

[tag]Cindy Skillman[/tag]
Fair enough, and now for my responses.

For someone who is not struggling with their faith, I can see how eternal conscious torment (ECT) may be itching ears for them, but for someone like me who struggles with their faith sometimes because of topics like this, it gives me itching ears to know that God won’t annihilate me if I lose faith.

Jason Pratt already explained about the annihilation verses, so I can’t say much there.

Onto ‘αἰών [aiōn]’ and ‘αἰώνιος [aiōnios]’, probably one of the more frustrating topics (along with the overwhelming number of universalists denying the Trinity and free will),
i’ve heard people say that ‘αἰώνιος [aiōnios]’ is an adjective, but how do we know this?
My biggest problem is the lack of the use of the word ‘αἰώνιος [aiōnios]’ to mean temporal things in the Holy Spirit-inspired New Testament Greek, many cite examples from the Greek Septuagint in the old testament, but the Greek Septuagint is just a translation, so an examples from it will not help me due to my OCD and anxiety, I NEED proof from God-inspired text only, with that being the Hebrew Old Testament and Greek New Testament.

You mentioned the verses about Sodom being restored, the problem I have there is that Ezekiel 16:53 says “When I shall bring again their captivity, the captivity of Sodom and her daughters,”, what is ‘captivity’, could it mean being a captive in hell? I know it sounds like I’m grasping at straws there, but like I mentioned, I have OCD and anxiety disorders and this is a very big leap in theology, and I am scared of being wrong.

Link to BlueLetterBible for Strong’s Reference H7622 ‘שְׁבוּת [shĕbuwth]’ (the word translated as ‘captivity’ in Ezekiel 16:53):
blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H7622&t=KJV
I clearly can’t understand Greek (‘αἰών [aiōn]’ and ‘αἰώνιος [aiōnios]’), and Hebrew appears more confusing than Greek.

There is a laundry list of verses, mainly in Pslams and Proverbs where God and God’s followers say to hate people, what do universalists do there? take these ones from David:

PSALM 55:15-16:
-15: Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell [Sheol]: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
-16: As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me.

PSALM 58:6-11:
-6: Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth: break out the great teeth of the young lions, O Lord.
-7: Let them melt away as waters which run continually: when he bendeth his bow to shoot his arrows, let them be as cut in pieces.
-8: As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away: like the untimely birth of a woman, that they may not see the sun.
-9: Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath.
-10: The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.
-11: So that a man shall say, Verily there is a reward for the righteous: verily he is a God that judgeth in the earth.

PSALM 109:
-7: When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin.
-8: Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
-9: Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
-10: Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
-11: Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labour.
-12: Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.
-13: Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
-14: Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the Lord; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
-15: Let them be before the Lord continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
-16: Because that he remembered not to shew mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart.

When I talk about free will, I’m talking against the idea that ‘God is sovereign and controlling everyone’. I know what you are talking about when you talk about people not being free due to sin.
God saving people through post-mortem disipline and punishment does not contradict free will, God works with their free will, that should be the reason they are in that place of punishment to begin with, if they are there because their actions were pre-determined by God, than God is not just or love.

God Bless
Christ Be With You

I have a question, Seeker. If only the Hebrew Old Testament is “God-inspired” why did the writers of the New Testament quote from the Septuagint (a translation from Hebrew to Greek a few centuries before Christ.) Why would they have quoted from an uninspired text?

Here is a translation of the Hebrew (Masoretic Text):
Exodus 1:5 All the descendants of Jacob were seventy persons; Joseph was already in Egypt. (ESV)

Here is a translation of the Septuagint Greek Text:
Exodus 1:5 But Joseph was in Egypt. And all the souls born of Jacob were seventy-five.

Which of the two do you think Stephen had been reading? In his address to the high priest, he said:
Acts 7:14 And Joseph sent and summoned Jacob his father and all his kindred, seventy-five persons in all. (ESV)

STT… your anxious OCD needs to read this again:

With that in mind you might also reconsider…

First–this is just an aside, but there are many examples in scripture (particularly in the OT) of PEOPLE venting to God about what they’d like for Him to do to their enemies. Also, the books of the bible are literature. As such they contain the same literary devices you will find in any literature–parables and myths (example stories to make a point–things that didn’t really happen), hyperbole (Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated), metaphor, simile, metonymy, and on and on. The bible is NOT an easy book to understand. You can spend a lifetime studying it diligently and never master it.

But to my point . . .

Paidion and Davo have given good answers, STT. There are more examples than those they have given, but in the end, you have to learn to trust that God truly is love and that God truly is good and that God truly is just. If God is not true and good, loving and just, then nothing matters. We’re all sunk. You don’t know any Greek and yet you trust only the literal word of the Greek NT. Yet you really have nothing to trust here other than the interpretation that other human beings offer to you. What if they were lying, or just plain wrong? I’m not trying to increase your anxiety levels; I’m trying to point out to you than your criteria for what you will accept as evidence and what you will not is faulty. The true evidence is in the goodness of God.

There are many, many Greek scholars who have very different views from one another regarding the proper translation of aion/aionios and of many other words. Which of them do you consider sufficiently inspired to give you a definitive interpretation? Most of the Greek words translated to English can be interpreted in at least several different ways. SOME of them were “translated” into the older English translations before anyone had any direct knowledge of their meaning. How did the translators do it? They guessed Truth. Yup–they just GUESSED. We’re still using some of those guesses today even though some of them have actually turned out to be mistaken. Bottom line? Your rock is Jesus. Your rock is the knowledge that God is good and God is love. If a scripture does NOT portray a loving God, then you are misunderstanding that scripture, period. And yes, you can tell what is loving and what is not loving. Yes, many loving acts may not LOOK loving to you at first (a parent’s discipline of a child, for example), but in most cases you can see, upon reflection, that they ARE loving. If you can say that goodness in God may look like evil in a human being, what is that but to say that God may possibly NOT be good? If the meaning of the word “good” can change like that, what meaning could it possibly have? Either it means what we mean by good, or else we ought to be using a different word that says what it really DOES mean–to the readers–to us. God is not so powerless that He is incapable of speaking coherently to His children.

Do you believe that God is love? Saint Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit gave God’s definition of love in 1 Cor 13. I know you’ve read and heard that passage over and over, but I urge you to read it again. Memorize it, in fact. Meditate on it. When the bible speaks of God’s love, THAT is what it means. God’s love never fails. Even in the English translation, you could take that a couple of ways. I believe that both ways are meant. God’s love never fails in that it never gives up and dies. God’s love never fails in that it never finds itself incapable of winning the beloved. That brings me to my second point:

Do you believe that God is omnipotent? (All-powerful) The bible certainly claims this for Him. Again, if God is omnipotent, He cannot fail to accomplish His desires toward His beloved. If He is good, then those desires are “for good and not for evil; to give you a future and a hope.” He can and He will win all those He loves–and as Jesus said, “For God so loved the WORLD . . .”

It is simply inconsistent with God’s love and God’s omnipotence to postulate that some people will spend eternity in torment. If God is all loving (as we know He is) and all powerful (ditto), then He can and will save all those He loves–the whole world.

Toxic religion is a terrible thing in the hands of ruthless people. Hell is the doctrine for itching ears, not God’s love. A doctrine that taught anything less than holiness in God’s beloved would be (and is) also a doctrine for itching ears, but that is not your challenge. Your challenge is to believe that God is good and loving and mighty to save. THAT is NOT an itching ear doctrine. It is the deepest truth of scripture. Be at peace. God will not permit you to be forever tormented. He will mold you into the image of His Son through the ministrations of His Holy Spirit to you. You are His own dear child and He is the best, wisest and most loving of parents. He will not fail you.

Blessings, Cindy

[tag]Paidion[/tag], [tag]Davo[/tag]

Probably the same reason we quote our preferred English translation instead of the Greek, the New Testament writers would have used the Greek Septuagint because they spoke Greek.
I am not saying the Greek Septuagint is a bad translation, I’m just saying it’s a translation.

True, but why dedicate an entire chapter to it without saying it’s not something God will actually do?

Well I’m sure every universalist has heard this argument but I’m going to put it out there anyway:

God is love, but God is also holy - I once used 1 John 4:8 and said that God is love to rebuke the Calvinistic idea that ‘God is sovereign and controlling everyone’ (I don’t struggle with this one, I KNOW this one CAN’T be true, because there is NO purpose to life if it is) and was met with a response saying something along the lines of ‘God is holy, the Bible says He is ‘holy, holy, holy’, it never says He is ‘love, love, love’, you can’t put one attribute of God over another’.

What do you do with this:

HOSEA 9:15:
-15: All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters.

God is love, but is also holy and wrathful (and yes I do know he is not always wrath (Psalm 103:9), and that is not compatible with Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT), but it is compatible with annihilationism).

I don’t fancy being annihilated either.

The only people made into the image of His Son are those He forknew would have faith and not lose said faith:

ROMANS 8:29:
-29: For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Calvinists always conveniently leave out the part about foreknowledge and cling to the part about predestination.

God Bless
Christ Be With You All
I do thank you all for trying to help me.

And sorry for any repeating of myself that I do.

I’m guessing the NT folk had enough confidence in the “inspirational” reliability of the LXX that the bulk of OT quotes in the NT are from the LXX. Not only that BUT IF your criterion for questioning the LXX due to it being a mere “translation” THEN you are really going to be up a creek without a paddle BECAUSE ALL the Hebrew OT texts used in formulating the translations we have today are ALL themselves “translations” as there are NO original copies of the Hebrew OT existing either. Truth is… the LXX is an older document than the Hebrew texts.

[tag]Davo[/tag]
But doesn’t God promise to preserve his word?

PSALM 12:6-7:
-6: The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
-7: Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

So couldn’t you conclude then from this that such is the case preserved with the LXX?

First let’s consider which writings are inspired, and in future posts we could discuss what it means to be inspired.

Some say that only the Biblical writings are inspired. If that is the case, one must ask “Which Bible?”—The Protestant Bible, the Catholic Bible, or the Orthodox Bible. There’s no problem with the New Testament, since the list of New Testament writings contained in each of these bibles is identical.

Besides the Old Testament writings listed in the Protestant Bible, the following books are included in the Catholic Bible: 1Esdras, Tobit, Judith, the longer version of Esther, 1 Macabees, 2 Macabees, Wisdom of Solomon, Baruch (including the letter of Jeremiah) and in the book of Daniel—Hymn of the three young men, Suzanna, and Bel and the Serpent.

The Orthodox Bible contains all of the books contained in the Catholic Bible plus 3 Macabees, Psalm 151, and Wisdom of Sirach.

Whichever Bible is the inspired one, how did they come to be considered to be inspired? In each of these Bibles is a wide variety of writings. Who decided which of these many writings were exclusively inspired and bound them together in a single volume?

Was Athanasius (A.D. 297-373) infallibly inspired to select the very 27 books that comprise the New Testament of each of the three Bibles—Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant? If so, then there must be inspiration outside of the Bible. I wonder why he didn’t include the letter to the Corinthians, about A.D. 95, written by Paul’s fellow worker, Clement of Rome?

Let’s see how Athanasius made out with the Old Testament. He included Baruch and the letter of Jeremiah. Uh oh! Not in the Protestant Bible!
There were also seven writings that Athanasius thought should be read, but should not be considered to be part of the Old Testament canon. One of these was Esther. Uh oh again! This book is in the Protestant Bible. The other six that he thought should not be in the canon are: Wisdom of Solomon, Judith, Tobit, Wisdom of Sirach, the Didache, and the Shepherd of Hermas. But the first three of these are in the Catholic and Orthodox Bibles. The fourth, Wisdom of Sirach, is also in the Orthodox Bible.

So was Athanasius wrong about the Old Testament? Who decided which books were to be included, and on what basis? Was someone inspired to select the right books? Who? And which of the three Bibles (if any) contains all the inspired writings and only the inspired writings? And on what basis can we know this to be the case?

You said much the same to me (in different words), [tag]Paidion[/tag]. I don’t know if I ever mentioned this to you, but it was a GREAT help to me. So a belated and heartfelt thankyou.

STT, God is love. John the apostle also tells us that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. We know that God is holy (or as Michael likes to say, Holy, Holy, Holy). We’re not told that God is holiness. “Holy” is an adjective. We know that because of the rules of grammar just as we know that aionios is an adjective because of the rules of grammar. Holiness describes God. Love is a noun–it is what God IS, and it cannot be incompatible with His holiness. God’s holiness doesn’t require God to annihilate you and it doesn’t require God to torture you or anyone else throughout a never-ending nightmare eternity. What holiness requires of a God who is love is that all God loves must be perfected in holiness. Destroying these objects of His love would be a huge defeat for God–negating His omnipotence. It would be a failure. It would prove that God is indeed NOT mighty to save. Is that the argument you’re trying to make here?

Look, just because a bunch of well-meaning religious folk scared you to death with threats of hell DOESN’T mean that they get to dictate the rules for God. If God wants to save all people (and scripture clearly indicates that He does want that), then God WILL save all people regardless of what those guys said. He’ll even save them, though I suspect they will feel very silly and ashamed about the horrible mischaracterizations they’ve spread about God. You should fear God because He will stop at nothing to make you holy. You should fear Him because that is NOT likely to be a fun process. Because you fear God, you should cooperate with Him in every way in this quest to make you holy. God does NOT take sin likely, and He will NOT tolerate it in His children.

You should NOT fear God for the wrong reasons, though. The wrong reasons to fear God include the belief that God is somehow not good. If God refuses to save those of His creation whom He certainly can save, then God is not good. Period. In fact, you ought to fear to judge God (who alone is good) as an evildoer, or at best, a weakling who cannot save the world He created and which He loves, or as an evildoer who will not save the world which He created/parented and for which He alone is responsible.

Good, strong reasoning there.

[tag]davo[/tag]

Possibly, and I hope so as it would mostly settle the issue with ‘αἰών [aiōn]’ and ‘αἰώνιος [aiōnios]’, leaving the only issue there is the fact that life and punishment are described with the same word in Matthew 25:46:

MATTHEW 24:46:
-46: And these shall go away into everlasting [aiōnion] punishment: but the righteous into life eternal [aiōnion].

It’s interesting here that it’s actually ‘aiōnion’ and not ‘aiōnios’.
What does this change in letter mean? it’s also worth mentioning that there is, yet another change in letter in Mark 3:29:

MARK 3:29:
-29: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal [aiōniou] damnation:

What does this change in letter mean?

Anyway, is there a possibility that the original Hebrew is out there, yet to be discovered? or possibly discovered an hidden by people influenced by Satan to throw Christians off track?

[tag]qaz[/tag]

Your explanation was satisfying, I was just seeing what Cindy Skillman would say.

[tag]Paidion[/tag]

Well basically see it like this:

Original Hebrew Old Testament = inspired
Original Greek New Testament = inspired

What books were included in these? we may not know.

LEVITICUS 20:26:
-26: And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.

1 PETER 1:16:
-16: Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

I will also put this out there, this is from a website called ‘Truth According To Scripture’ (link:truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/death/origin-of-hell-fire.php#.WAM2sI997IV):

This website teachings Annilhaltionsim, what would a Universalits do with this?

God Bless
Christ Be With You All

First, I would like to comment that I like your forum name “SeekingTheTruth.” I have been seeking the truth for nearly 70 years. I think I have discovered some truth over those years, but the more I discover, the more I find that there is to be discovered!

aiōnios, aiōnion, and aiōniou, are three forms of the same word. The lexical form is “aiōnios” and so most people when writing in English use the form “aiōnios” when referring to the word. The difference in the forms is grammatical. In Greek, one uses various ending to indicate the grammatical structure. We do this in English too. You and Cindy were talking about “holy” and “holiness.” the word “holy” is an adjective and “holiness” is a noun. They are distinguished by a different ending. Sometimes in English different forms appear to be totally different in structure. For example when you use “I” you are referring to yourself, and when you use “me” you are referring to yourself. So why two different words to refer to yourself? You use “I” as the subject of a verb and “me” as the direct object of a verb.

In second declension nouns (all of which are masculine), the endings for the word “doulos” (a slave) determine how they are grammatically used in a sentence. Here are the forms, called “cases” (using Latin characters rather than Greek):

SINGULAR
Nominative (used as the subject of a verb) doulos The slave brought in the food.
Genitive (similar to the possessive case in English doulou I saw the book of the slave (or I saw the slave’s book)
Dative doulō I gave the book to the slave.
Accusative (used as the direct object of a verb) doulon I saw the slave

PLURAL
Nominative douloi slaves
Genitive doulōn of slaves
Dative doulois to slaves
Accusative doulous slaves

The adjective “aionios” follows the same pattern when modifying either masculine nouns of feminine nouns.

First there are no original manuscripts of any part of the three Bibles in existence, and it is highly unlikely that any will be discovered. We are blessed to have copies of some of the New Testament manuscripts which date in the 100s. Some of them, if they had been copied carefully, may be identical to the originals.

In my opinion the Hebrew of Cave 4 among the Qumran caves contains the original Hebrew language of the Old Testament. I say this because the New Testament writers of quotes from the Old Testament are identical or close to identical to the Old Testament writings found in Cave 4. However, the Masoretic text is very different in some places. So I think the Septuagint that the New Testament writers used was a translation of the form of Hebrew found in Cave 4.

And now I think we might begin discussing what we mean when we say a writing is “inspired.”
SeekingTheTruth, why don’t you start us of with your thoughts on the matter.

Here is a photocopy of a page from Papyrus 66, written in the 100s!

Now look at line 14:
You will see something like this ΝΟΓΕΝΗCΘC with a stroke over the last two characters ΘC
There were no spaces between words, and parts of words were even carried to the next line.
In English characters, you would have NOGENAS THS
If you include the last two characters from the previous line you would have:
MONOGENAS THS

“MONOGENAS” means “only begotten” and the stroke over the last two characters indicates an abbreviation, beginning with “TH” (a single character Theta in Greek) and ends with “S” sigma. This is an abbreviation of “THEOS” (God).
So in English the phrase is “ONLY BEGOTTEN GOD.” The whole sentence is, “No one has seen the God at any time; the only-begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has made Him known.”

Later manuscripts have “only begotten Son” but both extant manuscripts dated prior to A.D. 300 (both in the 100s) have “only begotten God.”

I’m not. But that is irrelevant because I was only stating how the only pre-300 manuscripts read. This we need to accept whether we are Trinitarians or not. However the reading “the only-begotten God” does fit my understanding.

Jesus is “the only-begotten God” in the same sense that He is said to be “God” in John 1:1. The Father is unbegotten. Jesus is not THE God, nor is He part of a compound “God” called “The Trinity.” Because THE God begat Jesus (as his first act), his Son is divine like his Father, just as you are human like your father. You are man (human); I am man; each person in the world is man, but we do not form a single compound man called the “Jillionity.” Each of us is man and human, because were were begotten by a man. Jesus is God and divine because He was begotten by THE God. Jesus is not THE God; only his Father is THE God. Indeed, Jesus in his prayer to his Father addressed Him as "the only True God (John 17:3).

[tag]Paidion[/tag]

Thank You

Simple, I believe the following:

Original Old Testament Hebrew: Inspired
Original New Testament Greek: Inspired
Everything Else: Translations

Also, since you are not a Trinitarian, what do you do with this:

1 JOHN 5:7:
-7: For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

And here is proof that The Lord Jesus Christ is God:

HEBREWS 1:8:
-8: But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Clealy, the Son (The Lord Jesus Christ) is being called God here

God Bless
Christ Be With You All

So basically here is a problem I have:

I’m too scared to accept Universalism and be wrong, yet I’m too scared to remain believing in Annihilationism, or worse, Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) because I cant’ see myself being able to live up to the following standards set by The Lord Jesus Christ:

MATTHEW 19:21-30:
21: Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
-22: But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
-23: Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
-24: And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
-25: When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
-26: But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
-27: Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
-28: And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
-29: And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
-30: But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

…and later…

LUKE 14:26:
-26: If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Of course I want to live the way God wants me to live and I pray that I can do so, but I can’t see myself being able to live up to the standard listed above.
So can anyone see how I worry that I am the one with the “itching ears”? and I worry that I am the one who can’t “endure sound doctrine”?

I just made a new topic (link-[Easy Yoke (Matthew 11:28-30) vs Self Denial (Luke 9:23,14:26)) because I can’t harmonise the above statements of Jesus with the statement of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30:

MATTHEW 11:28-30:
-28: Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
-29: Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
-30: For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light

God Bless
Christ Be With You All

Great… then I would suggest you embrace this and so put your mind and soul at ease. :stuck_out_tongue:

The “eternal” aspects of either life OR calamity are indeed one and the same and are best understood according to Jesus’ QUALITATIVE use of the term as found in Jn 17:3 where “eternal life” equates to FULLNESS of life, as in, “to KNOW God…”. This then reflects the same thought previously given in Jn 10:10b with regards to obtaining true LIFE TO THE FULL in the here-and-now. So, the QUALITATIVE meaning shows that in the soon coming ‘Day of the Lord’ either life OR calamity would be known completely, that is, in its TOTALITY.

That as I understand it is the most consistent way of understanding “aiōnion” <αἰώνιον> as used by Jesus is Mt 25:46; thus from my perspective there ceases to be ANY conflict or apparent or supposed contradiction at all, i.e., it becomes a non-issue.

******* I should clarify by way of this edit that what I’ve proposed above is to be understood as applying to Christ’s AD70 Parousia, and does NOT reference ANY postmortem realities. Some would be spared the terrors of that come end while others would die. *******