The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Questions for "Revival"

Revival:

Hi, I used to believe this way, and some questions caused me to reexamine my faith.

why did you chose to accept God’s plan, while your friends and family members didn’t?
Where you smarter than them?
Did you have a better heart than them?
Were you more righteous than them?
Could you just hear better?
They heard the same word of God you did, why did you believe and they did not?

Uh oh, no response? did I ask questions I shouldn’t have? :confused:

all seemed fair enough to me. they lead to the conclusion that no, there’s no reason God should’ve chosen us before others…except that we might have a part to play in their reconciliation.
not about how smart or righteous we are :slight_smile:

One one hand: “It makes my stomach turn to think that ____ is in hell.”

But on the other hand: “They got what they deserved.”

I’ve heard this numerous times. I believe the other hand is the most underlying reason for many who cling to ECT as their most treasured doctrine.

Funny because I think Jesus’s parables about hell were aimed directly at the ones hoping others would get what they deserved.

Ironic.

Yes it’s those pesky Tax Collectors and Prostitutes that go in ahead of the guardians of religion.

according to some, only if they repent in this life :wink:
whereas the smug, know-it-all, religious types that tick all the boxes on the traditional beliefs form (aka modern Gnostics) are not required to repent of their Pharisaical (farcical?) attitudes.

HMMM

The prodigal’s elder brother found himself in his own private hell upon seeing the loving grace and favor being lavished upon his undeserving younger brother.

i wonder how long it took him to swallow his pride and rejoice that his brother had come home?
i guess that’s a question for all of us if we get annoyed that God rejoices over their salvation but doesn’t seem to be as bothered about us that have stuck with Him? and how much did sticking with Him come from love and how much from a sense of duty?
seems to me like both brothers needed work, but the one that sinned and ended up in the pig sty got the better party

Well according to some he never swallows his pride because once in hell there is no getting out.

He just gets angrier and more tormented by the flames as the seconds tic by.

Luke 15: …28 But he became angry and was not willing to go in; and his father came out and began pleading with him.

Is it possible that those sitting in the agony of hell refusing to join the party are there because of hate towards those who didn’t get what they deserved?

Is it possible that the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus which comes only a few paragraphs later is making the exact same point?

The moral of the story: Be careful what you hope for.

Or to put it another way: It’s God’s heart for us to hope for and expect everyone to join the party.

Well, it will be party time for me if I survive death somehow! If there is a good God who loves us, then it will be time for great celebration! if not and I end up in hell, well it will be party time their too, since according to ACDC, all my friends are gonna be there too! :sunglasses:

I don’t reexamine my faith based on my emotions neither should you or anyone else for that matter. Lets take a look at your questions:

1. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God… My eyes were enlightened to the truth of the gospel…the Holy Spirit convicted me of sin and I made a free will choice to accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior. My friends and family made a choice not do this. Very simple to understand.

2. No.

3. No, we all are born with a spiritual dead nature that separates you from God.

4. No, see #3 answer.

5. No.

6. They are being blinded by devils to the truth of gospel or they are resisting the Holy Spirit.

Were their eyes not “enlightened to the truth of the gospel?” If they were, why did you make a “free will choice to accept Jesus” as your Lord and Savior, while they didn’t? If you think you know why, then please enlighten us. If it’s beyond your understanding as to why they didn’t make this “free will choice” and you did, then how is this “simple to understand?” Something beyond our comprehension is not “simple to understand.”

Were you being “blinded by devils” when you made your “free will choice?” If so, then how did you manage to see clearly enough to make the right choice? If not, then wouldn’t they need to be delivered from their blindness before they’re able to make the same “free will choice” as you did?

And if they’re “resisting the Holy Spirit,” why did you make the “free will choice” to not resist (or to stop resisting) the Holy Spirit, and they didn’t?

Hi Revival
Emotions?? when did I say I was reexamining my faith because of emotions? No it was the logic that made me do it. I used to use this agains arminians when I was a Calvinist. Now I am no longer a calvie, but it still works, I still get the correct answers either way, which are no, no, and no, but I then never get a convincing answer as to why. Free will? mabye, but that just moves the problem back a step as Aaron noted correctly in his reply. Blaming devils, that doesn’t help either. why did god create devils? why does he allow them to blind people? How did you avoid this blinding of devils? An answer that creates many more questions, though possibly correct, isn’t really that convincing either. But thanks for answering my questions. :sunglasses:

There are two reasons why people do not believe the gospel

1. they are being blinded by devils or
  2. they are resisting the Holy Spirit

I believed it because I chose to believe it and did not resist the Holy Spirit. Understanding why some people accept or reject the gospel is not something beyond our comprehension.

Yes, I was blinded by devils at one time as is everyone else. The blinders were removed by prayer.

I did not resist the conviction of sin, righteousness and judgment and realized I needed a Savior and accepted Jesus. Resisting the Holy Spirit is not a new concept for the bible it happens frequently. Acts 7:51 and Acts 26:23-28 in verse 28 “Then King Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian”. Agrippa resisted Paul’s preaching through the anointing of the Holy Spirit.

God didn’t create devils he created angels. They became devils when they followed Satan and rebelled against God. Because we have the same spiritual death nature as Satan himself before we are born again and are easy targets to be deceived. Satan is the god of this world until he is dethroned in the book of Revelation. But we have authority over Satan and his devils as believers in this world.

Going back to my questions, why did you pray, and not resist the holy spirit, when others do? If it is not something good within you, then I am afraid that it is God who decides who resists, and who submits, just like the Bible says, He has mercy on whom he wills, and others he hardens…

i’m not following you, Michael. why did I pray?

Just some thoughts in another thread that might apply to this conversation. :slight_smile:

Grace and peace :slight_smile:

Matt

There is any teaching in scripture of angels turning into devils? And if there is, then God creating angels that were to become devils really doesn’t change things :sunglasses: