The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Questions for "Revival"

Look forward to it. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, here’s an old classic: Does God love those in Hell?

Edit to add: And by “Hell,” I mean, “Those being eternally punished in your theology.” :wink:

Yes, God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

So if God loves those in Hell, He would rather they weren’t in Hell?

Does He extend the offer of salvation beyond the grave?
If not, why not?

Hi Aaron
Perhaps its a cultural thing, but here in England, chaps would read your comment as taking God’s name in vain. I’d appreciate it if you could refrain in future.

I think this may relate to the discussion. :slight_smile:

Blessings

Matt

jeez/jēz/
Exclamation:
A mild expression used to show surprise or annoyance.

Don’t know how saying “jeez” is related to using God’s name in vain, but if you say so, I apologize. :confused:

And how does this love of God jive with how God discribes Himself in I Cor.13… Love (God) is…?

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of JEEZ
—used as a mild oath or introductory expletive (as to express surprise)
Variants of JEEZ
jeez also geez
Origin of JEEZ
euphemism for Jesus
First Known Use: 1923

Thanks for the clarification but I was using “jeez” to express surprise and annoyance and certainly not taking the Lord’s name in vain. :wink:

Thank you Sonia.
Aaron
You may have been ignorant of the fact that you are using a ‘euphemism’ for Jesus’ name. I don’t think God hold’s our ignorance or blindness against us and neither do I hold yours against you.
God bless.

I prayed for the Truth regardless of the consequences, and all “hell” broke loose.

Hehe :sunglasses:

Hebrews 11 and 12:1-2. Everyone in Hebrews 11 were not born again and examples of using soul faith then it transitions to chapter 12 for born again believers to not look upon Hebrews 11 but unto Jesus who is the author and finisher of born again spirit faith. If you don’t understand spirit soul and body then you will not understand this. God bless.

I understand spirit soul and body but not anything about “soul faith”. I’ve been a Christian for over 30 years and i have yet to ever hear that term before. You’re a first. I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion or who taught you that. All i know is Christ is the author and finisher of our faith. Period.

Romans 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.

Ok, no problem.

But there IS a problem isn’t there? This is generally your way of ending a conversation when you cannot support your belief rationally with scripture.

Caroleem, if we turn to its context (the “For” in 12:3 suggests we should) we can see that Paul is writing within the context of Christian service and clearly means that we are measured an ability to exercise our gifts. I won’t exegete this fully as I don’t have the time, but I note that Romans is a wonderful overview of the Christian faith, with its main body (5:-11:) a presentation of Paul’s theological foundation – how aionion life is graciously given by promise through faith in the Christ (and not unto faith). From this grounding he turns to the new and radical life that believers possess (12:-15:). He writes in 12:1, that we must “present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.” and then (12:3) “For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.” Faith contextually being the capacity (our knowledge and experience) of Christian service. He continues, writing (12:4-8) “For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.” Paul is simply writing here that our extension of Yahweh’s grace in service to others (cf. 1 Peter 4:10-11) is measured differently, so do not consider yourself more haughty than those with a lesser capability to perform them. It says nothing of salvation unto faith, but our different abilities to serve others in diverse ways. Paul had already well and truly covered salvation (through faith) in 3:, 4: and 5:. This is a very rough overview I concede, but I can revisit this if absolutely necessary.

WAAB, are you saying that we generate our own faith as Revival does?