The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Random Acts Of Kindness

“You can tell people all day long that you really care, and many will still not believe you. Yet give some genuine kindness on a regular basis and you won’t have to tell them anything; they’ll know.” -Ralph Marston-

“Send loving-kindness to somebody that we have difficulty with. This is a very interesting place because it’s very difficult. It’s a very powerful place because that person, in some ways, symbolizes the difference between love or loving-kindness, which is conditional, and that which is on uncondition that which goes beyond having our desires met, having affection returned, having people treat us well. It is that person that defines the line between that which is finite and that which is infinite. Yet it’s not easy. Very often to think of this person and you enmity, or anger, or fear, whatever. As a suggestion, when we begin that part of the practice, in the spirit of doing it in the easiest way possible, it’s probably better to start with somebody where there’s mild irritation rather than the person who has hurt you most in your life.” -Sharon Salzberg

“A tree is known for its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.” - Saint Basil

“Loving kindness is a form of love that truly is an ability, and, as research scientists have shown, it can be learned. It is the ability to take some risks with our awareness-to look at ourselves and others with kindness instead of reflexive criticism; to include in our concern those to whom we normally pay no attention; to care for ourselves unconditionally instead of thinking, “I will love myself as long as I never make a mistake.” It is the ability to gather our attention and really listen to others, even those we’ve written off as not worth our time. It is the ability to see the humanity in people we don’t know and the pain in people we find difficult.” -Sharon Salzberg

Shelagh Was Here

I met Shelagh Gordon at her funeral.

She was soap-and-water beautiful, vital, unassuming and funny without trying to be. I could feel her spirit tripping over a purse in the funeral hall and then laughing from the floor.

She was both alone and crowded by love. In another era, she’d have been considered a spinster — no husband, no kids. But her home teemed with dogs, sisters, nieces, nephews and her “life partner” —a gay man — who would pass summer nights reading books in bed beside her wearing matching reading glasses.

Her relationships were as rich as the chocolate pudding pies she’d whip together.

She raced through ravines, airports and wine glasses (breaking them, that is). She dashed off dozens of text messages and emails and Facebook postings a day, usually mistyping words in her rush to connect.

Then, every afternoon, she’d soak for an hour in the bath while eating cut-up oranges and carrots and flipping the damp pages of a novel.

She called herself a “freak,” at first self-consciously and, later, proudly.

But my sharpest impression of Shelagh that day, as mourners in black pressed around me, was of her breathtaking kindness. Shelagh was freshly-in-love thoughtful.

If she noticed your boots had holes, she’d press her new ones into your arms. When you casually admired her coffeemaker, you’d wake up to one of your own. A bag of chocolates hanging from your doorknob would greet you each Valentine’s Day, along with some clippings from the newspaper she thought you’d find interesting.

Shelagh made people around her feel not just loved but coveted. That was the golden thread that stitched together the ordinary seams of her life.

Sitting in the fourth row at her funeral, I could see myself in Shelagh. She lived a small life, as do most of us, untouched by war, disease, poverty. Her struggles were intimate. But the world she carefully assembled was rich and meaningful in ways she never grasped.

As her family and friends spoke of her, my thoughts kept pulling to my own life. Do I love as deeply as Shelagh? Do I exult in the small pleasures of life the way she did? How do I want to be remembered?

Funerals are as much collective meditations as tearful goodbyes to one person. We use the departed life as a lens to assess our own. In that way, Shelagh Gordon is the perfect choice of an allegedly ordinary local woman whose life was actually huge in scope and as worthy of scrutiny as any big-life celebrity. She is you. She is us.

It is odd to*meet someone four days too late.

-Written by Catherine Porter-

"All I’m saying is, kindness don’t have no boundaries.” - Kathryn Stockett

Mr. Browne’s September precept=

“When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.” - R. J. Palacio

“People shouldn’t have to earn kindness. They should have to earn cruelty.” - Maggie Stiefvater

“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”

“It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.” - John J. Powell

"To belittle, you have to be little.” -Kahill Gibran

“It does not matter how long you are spending on the earth, how much money you have gathered or how much attention you have received. It is the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in life that matters,” - Amit Ray

Living kindness is not some hypothetical idea. It is the artful, daily expression of kindness, compassion and deep respect for all beings regardless of differences in faith, belief, culture, gender, social status and ethnicity. This is kindness with the power of mindful action behind it. Rather than being reduced to a “random acts of kindness” bumper sticker, this kindness is uniquely boundless, purposeful and empowering. It is also more open and forgiving than the self-sacrificing kindness that I learned about in Sunday school. Living kindness is a vehicle by which our love, equanimity and other vital values make contact with the real world. This is kindness where it counts. -Donald Altman

Just for today, I will let go of anger. Just for today, I will let go of worry. Today, I will count my many blessings. Today, I will do my work honestly. Today, I will be kind to every living creature.”

1 Like

One evening I was going back from a supermarket. As I have approached my car, I noticed that some person came and stood beside me. He was the one that could be considered as a bum. It seemed that he had no car, no home and no job. I expected that he will ask me for money, but he did not do that, he only said: "Your car is very nice“.

After several moments of silence I have replied: "Thanks“, and then the inner voice told me: "Ask him if he needs help“. After a short hesitation I have asked him, if he needs any help. His respond was astonishing, I will never forget those simple three words that I heard from him: "Don‘t we all?”

It was a true discovery to me. I needed help. Although I had money and a place to sleep, but I recognized that I needed help too. Then I have opened my wallet and gave him enough money to get a meal and some shelter for a day.

Suddenly I understood that no matter how much money, achievements, luxury things do we have, we all need help. And on the other hand, no matter how poor you are, how many material problems you have, you still might offer your help to others, you still might be giving. Even it‘s just a nice word, you can give that and it can be priceless to other person.

Maybe that man was just a homeless stranger, but to me he was more than that. Maybe he was sent by the Highest Loving Power personally to me, to open my eyes, to show me that there is one thing, among all other values and achievements, which is very important and irreplaceable for each and every person. Actually, it is a true gift and it is called Giving.

“But oh! the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject; with whom one’s deepest as well as one’s most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away.” - Dinah Craik

“You have a unique gift to offer this world. Be true to yourself, be kind to yourself, read and learn about everything that interests you and keep away from people who bring you down. When you treat yourself kindly and respect the uniqueness of those around you, you will be giving this world an amazing gift… you!” - Steve Maraboli

“I admire those who do good and expect nothing in return.” - Roy T. Bennett

“A smile remains the most inexpensive gift I can bestow on anyone and yet its powers can vanquish kingdoms.” - Og Mandino

"Every single time you help somebody stand up you are helping humanity rise.” - Steve Maraboli

“Nothing,’ wrote Tolstoy, 'can make our life, or the lives of other people, more beautiful than perpetual kindness.” - Gretchen Rubin

"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms."

I have a choice about today

I woke up early today, excited over all I get to do before the clock strikes midnight. I have responsibilities to fulfill today and I am important. My job is to choose what kind of day I am going to have.

Today I can complain because the weather is rainy or I can be thankful that the grass is getting watered for free.

Today I can feel sad that I don’t have more money or I can be glad that my finances encourage me to plan my purchases wisely and guide me away from waste.

Today I can grumble about my health or I can rejoice that I am alive.

Today I can lament over all that my parents didn’t give me when I was growing up or I can feel grateful that they allowed me to be born.

Today I can cry because roses have thorns or I can celebrate that thorns have roses.

Today I can mourn my lack of friends or I can excitedly embark upon a quest to discover new relationships.

Today I can whine because I have to go to work or I can shout for joy because I have a job to do.

Today I can complain because I have to go to school or eagerly open my mind and fill it with rich new tidbits of knowledge.

Today I can murmur dejectedly because I have to do housework or I can appreciate that I have a place to call home.

Today stretches ahead of me, waiting to be shaped. And here I am, the sculptor who gets to do the shaping.

What today will be like is up to me. I get to choose what kind of day I will have!

Have a great day … unless you have other plans and please remember, a ‘Smile’ will make the days go better.

“Stop comparing yourself to others. Always strive to improve yourself to become better today than you were yesterday to serve those around you and the world.” - Roy T. Bennett

“I prefer you to make mistakes in kindness than work miracles in unkindness.” - Mother Teresa

“Be kind. Always if you have a choice, be kind.” - Anne Rice

“There is no wrong way to perform an act of kindness.” - Catherine R.Hyde

“It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.” - Helen Keller

“Kindness and good nature unite men more effectually and with greater strength than any agreements whatsoever, since thereby the engagements of men’s hearts become stronger than the bond and obligation of words.” - Sir Thomas More