The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Random Acts Of Kindness

• Scroll I – I will form good habits and become their slave.

• Scroll II – I will greet this day with love in my heart.

• Scroll III – I will persist until I succeed.

• Scroll IV – I am nature’s greatest miracle.

• Scroll V – I will live this day as if it is my last.

• Scroll VI – Today I will be master of my emotions.

• Scroll VII – I will laugh at the world (Keep perspective)

• Scroll VIII – Today I will multiply my value a hundredfold.

• Scroll IX – I will act now.

• Scroll X – I will pray for guidance. -Og Mandino

“It’s all a matter of paying attention, being awake in the present moment, and not expecting a huge payoff. The magic in this world seems to work in whispers and small kindnesses.” - Charles de Lint

“Compassion is like mother giving love to her children. Mother’s ways are higher than others, even when everyone rejects, mother accepts with her arms open and wide.” - Amit Ray

“Protect your enthusiasm from the negativity and fear of others. Never decide to do nothing just because you can only do little. Do what you can. You would be surprised at what “little” acts have done for our world.” -Steve Maraboli

“I don’t want my life to be defined by what is etched on a tombstone. I want it to be defined by what is etched in the lives and hearts of those I’ve touched.” -Steve Maraboli

“I have found that it is the small everyday deed of ordinary folks that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love." -J. R. R. Tolkein

“Every sunrise is an invitation for us to arise and brighten someone’s day.” - Richelle E. Goodrich

“Give freely to the world these gifts of love and compassion. Do not concern yourself with how much you receive in return, just know in your heart it will be returned.” - Steve Maraboli

"Somebody that you, until now, would always avoid, always look down on, and always be disgusted by.

Reach your arm out and put it around them.

And then, tell them they’re all right. Tell them they have a friend. Tell them you love them.

If you or I wanna make a change in this world, that’s where we’re gonna be able to do it. That’s where we’ll start.

Every. Single. Time.” - Dan Pearce

“I don’t want you to be young and beautiful. I only want one thing. I want you to be kind-hearted - and not just towards cats and dogs.” - Vasily Grossman

“Without suffering, there’s no happiness. So we shouldn’t discriminate against the mud. We have to learn how to embrace and cradle our own suffering and the suffering of the world, with a lot of tenderness.” - Thích Nhất Hạnh

“Be kind, because everyone is having a really hard time.” - Plato

“One of the most important things you can do on this earth is to let people know they are not alone.” -Shannon L. Alder

“There is no small act of kindness. Every compassionate act makes large the world.” - Mary Anne Radmacher

“Withhold a smile only when the smile can hurt someone. Otherwise, let it bloom forth in a riot.” - Vera Nazarian

When Sydney Holmes set out to perform 22 random acts of kindness on her 22nd birthday she didn’t know that number would jump to the hundreds and span continents. Last Wednesday, the birthday girl created an event on Facebook inviting her friends to join her in being kind to strangers.

“I thought it was wonderful,” said Holmes’s 22-year-old University of Windsor schoolmate, Meghan Hines. “Who would do that for their birthday? Who would send out a note on Facebook instead of getting something or having a party for them wanting good to be done on to others. It’s really touching.” More than 300 people signed up for the event and close to 100 posted their random act of kindness.

From buying coffee for the person behind in line, to visiting sick children in hospital or simply writing old acquaintances, hundreds took part in Holmes’s initiative. “It was so fulfilling. I cried all day – good tears,” said Holmes, who spent the day reading posts about people donating groceries, raking a stranger’s leaves and baking post exam cookies for students, while checking off her own list of 22 deeds.

“The happiest people I have known have been those who gave themselves no concern about their own souls, but did their uttermost to mitigate the miseries of others.” - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

“Now is a time for, dare I say it, kindness. I thought being extremely smart would take care of it. But I see I have been found out.” - Margaret Edson

"What virtue is there in a man who demonstrates goodness because he has been bred to it? It is his habit from youth. But a man who has known unkindness and want, for him to be kind and charitable to those who have been the cause of his misfortunes, that is a virtuous man.” - Deanna Raybourn

“This is what kindness does… each little thing we do goes out, like a ripple, into the world.” ― Jacqueline Woodson

“Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us. Oh, be swift to love, make haste to be kind.” - Henri-Frédéric Amiel

“Perhaps the most ‘spiritual’ thing any of us can do is simply to look through our own eyes, see with eyes of wholeness, and act with integrity and kindness.” - Jon Kabat-Zinn

“Compassion is a lifetime business. You can’t say something like, “I will have compassion on Monday, Thursdays and Fridays only. But for the rest, I will be cruel”. That is hypocrisy.” - Israelmore Ayivor

“With one kind gesture you can change a life. One person at a time you can change the world. One day at a time we can change everything.” - Steve Maraboli

It’s Little Things that Make a Big Difference.

There was a man taking a morning walk at or the beach. He saw that along with the morning tide came hundreds of starfish and when the tide receded, they were left behind and with the morning sun rays, they would die. The tide was fresh and the starfish were alive. The man took a few steps, picked one and threw it into the water. He did that repeatedly. Right behind him there was another person who couldn’t understand what this man was doing. He caught up with him and asked, “What are you doing? There are hundreds of starfish. How many can you help? What difference does it make?” This man did not reply, took two more steps, picked up another one, threw it into the water, and said, “It makes a difference to this one.”

What difference are we making? Big or small, it does not matter. If everyone made a small difference, we’d end up with a big difference, wouldn’t we?

Kindness matters because it makes you happy

When was the last time you did something kind for a stranger? It probably felt good to make someone else smile. A simple act of kindness can turn a bad day into a good day. Not just for the receiver, but also the giver. Researchers at the University of British Columbia found that completing being generous leads to a significant increase in positive moods.

Happiness is spread through each and every one of us. By taking the time to help others, we not only give them a better day, but their satisfaction and gratitude can make ours better as well. We connect with people through kindness. “This river of kindness flows through each and every one of us, connecting us together”

“Soft feathers cannot make a cruel bird kind” - Munia Khan

“Perhaps the most ‘spiritual’ thing any of us can do is simply to look through our own eyes, see with eyes of wholeness, and act with integrity and kindness.” - Jon Kabat-Zinn

“Each time a person passes by you and you say ‘hello’, imagine that person turning into a candle. The more positivity, love and light you reflect, the more light is mirrored your way. Sharing beautiful hellos is the quickest way to earn spiritual brownie points. You should start seeing hellos as small declarations of faith. Every time you say hello to a stranger, your heart acknowledges over and over again that we are all family.” - Suzy Kassem

“Before you step out into the world today, remember that you will encounter people whose struggles you do not know. Remember the way a pair of eyes light up when greeted with kindness.” - D. Antoinette Foy

“Life is so transient and ephemeral; we will not be here after a breath. So think better, think deeply, think with kindness, and write it with love so that it may live a little longer.” - Debasish Mridha

“That was when I learned that kindness could break a heart just as sure as meanness. The difference was the kindness made that broken heart softer. Meanness just made the heart want to be hard.” - Susie Finkbeiner

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.” - Kent M. Keith

“My faith has been tempered in Hell. My faith has emerged from the flames of the crematoria, from the concrete of the gas chamber. I have seen that it is not man who is impotent in the struggle against evil, but the power of evil that is impotent in the struggle against man. The powerlessness of kindness, of senseless kindness, is the secret of its immortality. It can never be conquered. The more stupid, the more senseless, the more helpless it may seem, the vaster it is. Evil is impotent before it. The prophets, religious teachers, reformers, social and political leaders are impotent before it. This dumb, blind love is man’s meaning.

Human history is not the battle of good struggling to overcome evil. It is a battle fought by a great evil struggling to crush a small kernel of human kindness. But if what is human in human beings has not been destroyed even now, then evil will never conquer.” - Vasily Grossman

“Be kind, be all sympathy,
For each and every human being
Is forced to fight against himself.” - Sri Chinmoy

“Perhaps the most ‘spiritual’ thing any of us can do is simply to look through our own eyes, see with eyes of wholeness, and act with integrity and kindness.” Jon Kabat-Zinn

“Beauty in its best form is kindness, the most valuable currency in the world.” - Rebecca McNutt

“I like how Mother Teresa put it: “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, in your eyes, in your smile.” If you approach life this way, always looking for ways to build instead of to tear down, you’ll be amazed at how much happiness you can give to others and find for yourself” - Sean Covey,

“Give until it hurts.” - Corazon Cojuangco Aquino

“I have wept in the night
At my shortness of sight
That to others’ needs made me blind,
But I never have yet
Had a twinge of regret
For being a little too kind.” - C.R. Gibson