The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What do people think of "All Shall Be Well"?

I finished reading “All Shall Be Well” by Robin Parry & others. I found it really encouraging to hear the journeys of other universalists and also interesting to see some of the different approaches that can be taken to some of the questions put to universalists.

Here are some very brief comments (I’ve listed ever chapter to help jog memories) because as I read it bit by bit over the last 10 months, some bits are now hard to remember:

]I though the introduction: Between Heresy and Dogma—Gregory MacDonald (Robin Parry) was excellent and I’d recommend everyone read it (see “All Shall Be Well”)/]

]I enjoyed discovering that Origen wasn’t as dodgy as some people have made him out to be./]

]I can strongly relate to Gregory of Nyssa’s Christocentric Universalism./]

]I always feel uncomfortable with Mystics, but I like Julian’s statement that “All Shall Be Well”./]

]Love is all and God is Love: Universalism in Peter Sterry (1613–1672) and Jeremiah White (1630–1707)—Louise Hickman /]

]Union with Christ: The Calvinist Universalism of James Relly (1722–1778)—Wayne K. Clymer /]

]Between Calvinism and Arminianism: The Evangelical Universalism of Elhanan Winchester (1751–1797)—Robin Parry /]

]Salvation-in-Community: The Tentative Universalism of Friedrich Schleiermacher (1768–1834)—Murray Rae /]

]Postmortem Education: Universal Salvation in Thomas Erskine (1788–1870)—Don Horrocks /]

]The Just Mercy of God: Universal Salvation in George MacDonald (1824–1905)—Thomas Talbott /]

]The Final Sanity is Complete Sanctity: Universal Holiness in the Soteriology of P. T. Forsyth (1848–1921)—Jason Goroncy /]

]The Judgment of Love: The Ontological Universalism of Sergius Bulgakov (1871–1944)—Paul Gavrilyuk /]

]I do teach it, but I also do not teach it: The Universalism of Karl Barth (1886–1968)—Oliver Crisp /]

]The Totality of Condemnation Fell on Christ: Universal Salvation in Jaques Ellul (1912–1994)—Andrew Goddard /]

]I’m not sure what make of J. A. T. Robinson, I think his approach is quite different to mine./]

]I thought Hans Urs von Balthasar’s thoughts on Christ’s Descent into Hell were interesting, certainly not something I’d really thought about in depth before./]

]I was very disappointed to read about John Hick’s slide away from Christianity, and not just because he gives Christian Universalism a bad name. However, I agree with the author of the chapter, Lindsay Hall, that his belief in universalism wasn’t the cause./]

*]I was very impressed by Jürgen Moltmann’s well thought out & articulated universalism, and his insights into freedom. Also his comments on the Trinity reminded me of Jason :slight_smile:

, Moltmann"]It is because he loves the Son that [the Father] becomes the Creator. His self-communicating love for the one like himself * opens itself to the Other * and becomes creative, which means anticipating every possible response. Because he creates the world by virtue of his eternal love for the Son, the world is, through his eternal will, destined for good, just as God is himself goodness. That is why God has pleasure in it. That is why he can expect his image, man, to respond to his creative love, so that he may not only enjoy bliss with his Son, in eternity, but may also find blessin man, in time./]

Anyway, what do others think of the book?*

I haven’t read all of it but what I have read has been encouraging and useful. Tom Talbott’s chapter on George MacDonald is superb and like you Alex, I enjoyed Robin’s introduction and the Origen and Gregory chapters. I will have to read the John Hick chapter. Last weekend I was given a copy of Hick’s theodicy book “Evil and the God of Love” and found the kind of universalism presented in his Ch 17 very close to evangelical universalism as I understand it.

Oh? It discusses Jacques Ellul’s views on universal reconciliation? Hmm… cool. He always seemed to avoid explaining his views on that. He proclaimed it, but he always refused to teach it. (He did write about it in What I Believe, but hardly in that much detail. I know of nowhere else it was taught). I will have to get this book now. I simply love that man!

This book is on my Christmas list…for me. :slight_smile:

So Ill get a report in, sometime in January Hopefully.

I’ll have to check it out sometime. But it’s like 40 bucks, and I don’t feel comfortable paying that much for a book. :neutral_face:
I may be getting a couple Amazon gift cards for Christmas, and I was thinking of using them to get The One Purpose Of God by Jan Bonda and The Inescapable Love Of God by Thomas Talbott, which are both around twenty.
Think I’ll have to save All Shall Be Well for a later date, perhaps when the price goes down. Maybe I’ll buy it at the same time as Universal Salvation: The Current Debate. That would make a good pair. :slight_smile:

I just got it, but I paid $30 for a Kindle copy (which yeah, I thought was rather a lot). I didn’t pay attention to the hard copy price. You can get a free Kindle app for your laptop or whatever other device you use, if you don’t want to buy the hard copy.

Anyway, I read through the Origin chapter. I’d heard both good and bad things about Origin, and reading the chapter, there were things I agreed and disagreed with him on. The apokatastasis thing (I had to look that up; apparently it refers to things returning to their primal, original state) I definitely disagree with. Maybe I’m understanding it too simplistically, but first I don’t believe humans are pre-existant except in the mind of God, and second, why on earth would God go through all this only to return us to the precise state we were in before it all happened? I’m sure I must be missing something here.

However, it’s good to learn what other people have thought and taught, and I look forward to reading the rest of the book. :slight_smile:

Thanks Alex for your summary and highlight of some of the content. I definitely want to read it. I had put a link to what I thought was a .ms of the book on my blog (from somewhere on this forum). But I didn’t check it out closely. Was that just excerpts from the book or an earlier draft maybe?

Anyway, love the title and I look forward to diving into it! I will take Cindy’s advice and get the Kindle version.

Like Alex, I thought it was rather hit and miss; but that’s the nature of the project, too, so I don’t blame the authors (or Robin as editor) for that.

I would definitely pay for a sequel on the same format regarding another batch of theologians.

(Although I am far more interested in the update to Hanson’s work on the Patristics that I heard about here on the forum a few months ago. Danged if I recall who’s doing it or when it’ll be released… :laughing: But I figure I’ll hear about it again after release. Hopefully it’ll be more sober and careful than Hanson was.)

Robin kindly let me put the draft of the Introduction on this forum.

True, but I found it to have many more hits than misses. Some of the reasoning/arguments of some of the people being looked at, were very different to mine (e.g. Julian’s), although it’s still interesting to know about other approaches.

Me too :slight_smile:

I think you’re thinking of Something to look forward to

I agree, further reading in At the End of the Ages has made me think Origen really got a raw deal.

I just finished reading the chapter on Julian and I am charmed. I can’t wait to meet her in person, but meanwhile, I’ve downloaded her book to my Kindle. Also the “Against Heresies” by Irenaeus. But I MUST finish reading All Shall Be Well first. :confused: I have sooo many unfinished books. It’s waaay too easy to buy new books this way. Amazon should give away the Kindle. It would probably more than triple their sales if they did. :laughing:

Love the instant gratification!