The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What is the "Ministry of Reconciliation"?

Quick question:

Here’s the text –

[size=150]2 Corinthians 5:18 (New American Standard Bible)
Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation,
[/size]

So, what is the “Ministry of Reconciliation”?

Colosians 1:20 claims that through Christ the entirety of HIs creation is reconciled back to God, so it seems the ministry of reconciliation is simply participating with God in getting this Good News out. Since most of us here hold to a belief in Universal Reconciliation, maybe it’s just living the truth of Christ’s gift and work and triumph in everything we say and do and are… ??

What do you think??

TotalVictory
Bobx3

Yes I think its telling other that they have been reconciled through the Cross, now go live like it.

Everyone

RECONCILIATION TOWARD MAN
(Romans 5:10; 2 Corinthians 5:20)
The New Testament doctrine of reconciliation is of major importance. The Greek word
katallasso, translated to reconcile, has but one meaning, namely, to change completely
(Romans 5:10; 11:15; 1 Corinthians 7:11; 2 Corinthians 5:18; Ephesians 2:16; Colossians
1:20-21).

There are two aspects to the doctrine of reconciliation. These two aspects are best
revealed in 2 Corinthians 5:19-20.

This passage presents the truth that in and through the death of Christ on the cross, God
was changing completely the position of the world in its relation to Himself.

However, the apostle declares in verse 20 that Christ’s messengers, to whom is
committed the word of reconciliation, are to go forth, in His stead, beseeching those
who, according to verse 19, are already reconciled, to be reconciled to God. The term
beseech implies that they may or may not be reconciled in response to the messengers.

What is it specifically that men are implored to do? It is simply this: Receive this reconciliation by faith.

In other words, the value of Christ’s reconciling death is not applied to the believing
sinner at the time of His (Christ’s) death, but rather when he (the sinner) believes.

There can be no question about the fact that there are two aspects of reconciliation: one
wrought for all by God in His love for the world, and the other wrought in the individual
who believes, when he believes.

Prepared by: David Seilaf
Paul was an ambassador to carry forth a twofold message in the ministry of reconciliation. One, he told people that God so loves them that Christ died for them while they were yet ungodly, yet sinners, and God’s enemies. God has already done His part in the reconciliation by not imputing any of humanity’s trespasses to their account. The slate is clean as far as God is concerned. There are no longer barriers between them and God. Christ has died for them because He supremely loves them. The second part of Paul’s responsi­bility was to tell mankind to receive that reconciliation which God has already accomplished. He told them, “be ye reconciled to God” (2 Corinthians 5:20).

A true reconciliation can only be a success when both parties agree to forgive and forget; when complete harmony exists between both; when both of them become real friends once again. What remains is for mankind, on his own part, to be reconciled to God. God has already forgiven us our trespasses and forgotten our sins through the death of Christ on the cross. Now mankind himself must respond to God’s love. He must be sorry for his sins, he must repent of them, and he must now take steps to be in harmony with God. When this is accomplished, a total reconciliation is effected. So Paul’s ministry was twofold:

1. to tell people that God has reconciled them to Himself, and then,
  2. to tell all to respond and accept the reconciliation by faith and be at peace with God.

Perfect peace, harmony, reunion and conciliation will then come to pass.

Prepared by:
Vince Morris
A general and limited illustration of RECONCILIATION (by William R. Newell, Romans, pp.
17172):
“Suppose I am a master of a school, and I make a rule that there is to be no profane
swearing. I write that rule on the blackboard, and the whole school sees and hears it,
The penalty I announce too: there is to be a whipping if any one breaks the rule.

Now there is a boy named John Jones in my school, a boy I am fond of. At recesstime
he swears. Everybody hears him; I hear him; everybody knows I hear him. When I call
the school to order, all the scholars are looking at me to see what I will do.

I have a son of my own in that school room, a beloved son, Charles. I call him and we go
outside to counsel, while the school waits. I say, ‘Son, will you bear John Jones’
whipping for him? He doesn’t believe that I love him. He thinks I hate him because he
has broken my rule. There must be a whipping. I must be true to my word, but you know
how I love John.’ My son says, ‘Yes, father, I’ll do anything for you that you wish. And I
love John Jones too.’

I bring my boy, Charles, out before the whole school, and I say, ‘This is John Jones’
whipping I am giving to my son, Charles. The law of the school was broken by John
Jones. I am putting the penalty on my boy. He says he will gladly do this for me, and for
John.’ Then I whip my son, Charles; and I do not spare him. I whip him just as if he were
John Jones, just as if he had broken the rule himself.

When the whipping is over, I say to some scholar, ‘Go and tell John Jones I have nothing
against him – nothing at all. And ask him to come and give me his hand.’ This breaks
John Jones up, and he comes forward in tears and says, ‘I didn’t know you loved me that
much! I thank you from my heart!’

Now he is reconciled from his side to me. But you see I reconciled him to myself first. I had to
deal with his disobedience, or be myself unrighteous.’”

Nonsense. That means ‘faith’ is rooted in the unbelief that Christ accomplished nothing. What a foundation!

He took away the sins of the world at the cross and thereby reconciled God’s justice. He redeemed everyone. That’s true (reality) whether it is believed or not.

Reconcile your thinking to that!

I don’t think it’s just about the good news, it’s also about both deeply healing and freeing people, since that’s what Jesus came to do and did. Also I feel like it extends to creation as well, since God will reconcile all creation to Himself (yes, your pets will end up in paradise with you! :smiley:)

Well, that’s a tad antiquated. :unamused: Getting spanked for cussing? Well, I don’t think that God is the type of father who makes an immovable rule instead of judging each circumstance on its own, and each person on their own, merits.

But let’s say that there was a type of discipline that was required for the child to become good… say, not letting poor John Jones go outside and play during recess because he said something naughty or harsh to one of the girls in class (which would also need to be supplemented with a good lecture and his apologies to the girl, of course). Sure, John Jones is suffering, :unamused: but the “punishment” for what he did is both necessary and appropriate.

So should Charles “suffer” for John Jones in this case, so that John Jones can go out and say even naughtier things to all the girls in the yard?

I think this is exactly the type of discipline and “punishment” that the bible speaks of. God doesn’t stick to immovable rules more than he does to the hearts and lives of his children. But if something prevents those hearts and lives from flowering in the way that they should, then if he has the opportunity he will discipline, prune them, until it’s gone.

And to remove this type of discipline in order to have “mercy” on them, which is not mercy at all on anything or anybody but the sin itself, is to not be just or loving. Jesus did not bear this type of suffering. He suffered as a result of our sin. He didn’t suffer the consequences for it because he never did anything. But he bore our reproach, he suffered the effects of sin, he bore the consequences because he stood in front of the bullet meant for our throats, a bullet that would kill us as sure as cancer continuing to eat at the bone. But this bullet was not shot off by our Father in heaven, for that would mean that the Son was against the Father and not with him, as he said he was.

That bullet, my friend, was shot off by sin itself. He killed our sin and so killed off the consequences of thriving sin and even of past sin.

And yes, there is some wrath involved, as Gregory has so eloquently stated in another active thread, but I don’t know that I understand the paradox at this point anymore than he does. But I hope to get close someday.

True, Christ bore the worst of it. But by no means did he take from us that blessed suffering which must exist in our lives (insofar as we are impure) as a divine providence of God if we are to ever become pure children of God.

Ran

I have a feeling you did not read all of my post start to finish. If not, please go back and read all of it. Please show me scripturally, the error of my post. Where scripturally…is the nonsense, Ran?

A true reconciliation can only be a success when both parties agree to forgive and forget; when complete harmony exists between both; when both of them become real friends once again. What remains is for mankind, on his own part, to be reconciled to God. God has already forgiven us our trespasses and forgotten our sins through the death of Christ on the cross. Now mankind himself must respond to God’s love. He must be sorry for his sins, he must repent of them, and he must now take steps to be in harmony with God. When this is accomplished, a total reconciliation is effected. So Paul’s ministry was twofold:

2. to tell all to respond and accept the reconciliation by faith and be at peace with God.

God bless,
Aaron

That’s correct. The difference being, we say it doesn’t matter WHEN a man confesses Christ for reconciliation to be complete. UR!

You’ve back-tracked a bit from your other post. Rather than being of no value, Christ’s sacrifice is eternal and effective in reconciling God’s justice with humanity eternally. The Law against humanity was nailed (with Christ) to the cross.

But you quoted an immutability argument to say that God was not reconciled by the Sacrifice and ignores it as though it never happened in His dealings with most of humanity both here and in the world to come. Your basic argument is that the believer reconciles God - and throw Christ’s name in there for good measure.

Ran

Sigh…My post deals with biblical reconciliation. Biblical reconciliation is two-fold:

Btw, not all respond and accept the reconciliation by faith, Ran. Most will respond and reject this reconciliation…therefore, man does not fulfill on his own part, to be reconciled to God.

God bless,
Aaron

Respond to what? Much of what goes for the Gospel out there says something like…‘God hates your guts until you believe that He doesn’t.’ I wouldn’t blame anyone for rejecting that.

Or worse…“God loves you IF you love Him back.”…and if you don’t, He will torture you in fire for eternity for not finding Him lovable.

Whereas, I might say something like: “God loves you and will resurrect you from death. Love Him now for that.”

Ran

or, you can tell them that God loves them so much that He desparately wants a intimate relationship with them.( explain the death and resurrection of Jesus on their behalf). This relationship only starts by accepting His Son, Jesus, as their Lord and Savior. Would you like to be restored back to God, and receive this intimate realtionship through His Son? If answer is yes, lead them into prayer to receive Jesus as Savior and they are reconciled back to the Father on their part and enjoy eternal life. If the answer is no, they remain unreconciled on their part and spirtually dead.

God bless,
Aaron

What about my post? Or have I been blocked? :astonished: :open_mouth: :confused: :unamused: :laughing:

Don’t even humour him, it will get bad to worse if you do. lol.

Justin

True, Christ bore the worst of it. But by no means did he take from us that blessed suffering which must exist in our lives (insofar as we are impure) as a divine providence of God if we are to ever become pure children of God.

Aaron: This is off topic of the OP. Who told you this? And how does this line up with the Word of God?
You might want to switch to PM or start another thread for this topic.

God bless,
Aaron

Part of that ministry of reconciliation is the message that God is not counting men’s sins against them. Faith has nothing to do with that - He’s just not counting sins since they were taken away at the cross. I wonder if you are reconciled to that. I wonder because there must be some basis for the eternal wrath you say He will torment people by. It’s not sin, what is it? Unbelief that’s He’s reconciled? Belief that He’s not reconciled?

If people around here believe that God IS reconciled - then what, exactly, is your complaint against them?

Ran

You have just proven to me you by your comments you skimmed over my original post or you just plain don’t understand biblical reconciliation. I suggest you go back and read my OP.

God bless,
Aaron

I’m beginning to wonder if you even understand your cut and paste. Beginning with the ridiculous immutability argument - no wonder you think the cross is worthless. It boils down to a quid-pro-quo with the sinner controlling God. “I’ll reconcile God since the cross didn’t.”

The people who are being faithful to the ministry of reconciliation - you say are heretics. Can you explain yourself?

I understand your argument - I just wish you did! Honestly, Aaron, you repeat certain points but if we scratch the surface there’s nothing underneath to indicate real understanding. Typically, you just repeat them again or declare us dense and blind. Just lookin’ for a little depth, bud.

Ran

you said: Part of that ministry of reconciliation is the message that God is not counting men’s sins against them. Faith has nothing to do with that - He’s just not counting sins since they were taken away at the cross. I wonder if you are reconciled to that. I wonder because there must be some basis for the eternal wrath you say He will torment people by. It’s not sin, what is it? Unbelief that’s He’s reconciled? Belief that He’s not reconciled?

If people around here believe that God IS reconciled - then what, exactly, is your complaint against them?

Aaron: Faith has everyhing to do with it, Ran…without tapping into God’s grace with our faith there is no reconciliation on our part.
God was changing completely the position of the world in its relation to Himself by Jesus’ death. In other words, sin was removed and there no longer remains enmity between God and man. That was God’s part. He has reconciled the world to Him… Man must reach out and receive this reconciliation by faith to become born again or spiritually reborn to make this reconciliation complete. That is man’s part. When you combine God’s grace and man’s faith= total reconciliation.

That is biblical reconciliation, bud.

God bless,
Aaron

Ran

You say, that every man who ever lived will become born again by faith…therefore, fulfilling their part to become reconciled to God…I say… show me in the Word of God where this happens…Chapter and Verse. Ran, you repeat certain points but if I scratch the surface there’s nothing underneath to indicate real understanding. Typically, you just repeat them again or declare me dense and blind. Just lookin’ for a little depth, bud.

God bless,
Aaron

OK - so what? God is still reconciled. His Grace is still Grace. We don’t add anything to it. He’s going to raise EVERYONE from the dead.That’s the outcome of His Grace and Reconciliation.

So now what? Everyone is born again. “And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.” That turns out to be EVERYONE.

And they all confess Christ - see? That’s total reconciliation.

It’s God’s will that none should perish. So none do.

Ran

your all talk and no scripture references. I asked you to provide scripture where every man will be born again. Ran, you repeat certain points but if I scratch the surface there’s nothing underneath to indicate real understanding. Typically, you just repeat them again or declare me dense and blind. Just lookin’ for a little depth, bud.

God bless,
Aaron