"You must do nothing to come to Jesus" vs "This is what you must do now"

The Levites indeed had no temporal heritage in terms of land to work, as did all the other tribes. The Levites however were specially seconded by God to the work of Sanctuary service, and were thus duly and doubly blessed… partaking of the Temple tributes, i.e., “the Lord’s portion” because they were appointed by Yahweh to this privileged position, aka… they were within Israel the Lord’s heritage. You CANNOT with any honesty keep ignoring these texts…

Num 8:14, 16, 18 Thus you shall separate the Levites from among the children of Israel, and the Levites shall be Mine. … For they are wholly given to Me from among the children of Israel; I have taken them for Myself instead of all who open the womb, the firstborn of all the children of Israel. … I have taken the Levites instead of all the firstborn of the children of Israel.

Num 18:20 Then the Lord said to Aaron: “You shall have no inheritance in their land, nor shall you have any portion among them; I am your portion and your inheritance among the children of Israel.

Deut 18:1-2, 5 “The priests, the Levites—all the tribe of Levi—shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel; they shall eat the offerings of the Lord made by fire, and His portion. Therefore they shall have no inheritance among their brethren; the Lord is their inheritance, as He said to them. … For the Lord your God has chosen him out of all your tribes to stand to minister in the name of the Lord, him and his sons forever.

LLC… these texts ARE abundantly CLEAR; do you believe them :question:

question%5B1%5D

To answer your question, no I do not. I believe this battle between the Christian God( the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, whom the prophets and Jesus represented) and the pagan gods started long ago. Although the New Testament speaks of Abraham as the father of all who believe, meaning he was the father of the Christian faith, I believe the word was there in the beginning as John1:1 indicates. Moses was a believer as well, but it seems at that time the world was not willing to accept it.

In Exodus 18 Moses is instructed to “select from ALL the people, able men, such as fear God, men of truth , hating covetousness” to be rulers. this system was contrary to the world as it was.

Also, as Moses instructs, ALL the people of Israel were to teach their children the way of the Lord.

To go from this to where suddenly the Levites are the ONLY holy priests of God seems rather strange. Was no one else capable of ministering?
Was their tribe holier than all the others? Apparently not, since Aaron’s first two sons were consumed by the fire. I’d say someone was changing things, and I don’t think these changes came from the God of Israel.

To me, when it says the Levites were to have no part of the kingdom of Israel, that means no part, no rule, no power. I don’t know; maybe they were sentenced to community service or maybe they were allowed freedom of worship.

Well, thanks for this frank answer… that speaks volumes.

Related to this discussion is my latest post Review and summary of “What is Faith?: How to Know that You Believe” by Jeremy Myers

It is fascinating that this thread operates more as a chat room. :slight_smile: that is not a bad thing, just observing.

To me, simple logic dictates that these two statements do not go together. If their inheritance was the Lord God Himself (The Spirit) then they would have been given an inheritance of the land as well since all that is God’s is yours.
Genesis 1:28 “And god blessed them, and God said to them, and God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth and subdue it. and have dominion over the fish of the sea, ad over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

“The meek shall inherit the earth.”

So logically,
If obedience to God is a requirement for an inheritance of the “land flowing with milk and honey”, and the Levites received no inheritance in the land then they were not obeying God.

Maybe I’m missing something here.

You think… :question:

These short informative articles and videos…would fit in well here:

And in the Orthodox / Evanglical video, they talked about holiness - residing in things and places. Perhaps people also, as this video might show us?

Well, so far I’m an RCIA (RC church) attendee and an EO prospect. But the EO fasting part, means I eat a lot - of bean based dishes (mainly Indian). Which can have, an “unpleasant” side effect!

That is the long way around to aunt sally’s door so to speak. :roll_eyes:

This makes no sense. From what I understand, the life of the people depends on the Spirit among all who share their talents with each other and in return receive the benefits that all have to offer.
This is exemplified in the building of the tabernacle in which all came with a willing heart and gave. Exodus 35.
If the life of the people depended on the offerings of the Levitical priests alone, I daresay the people of Israel would have been in dire straights.!

roll_eyes%5B1%5D|72x72

If you have the Spirit, you inherit ALL things. If you don’t, then there is no inheritance. It’s all or nothing. The Levites were banned from inheriting the land, but somehow they inherited the priesthood?

So how are you living your life (2019) proclaiming the truths you proclaim and what does it mean to us?

Of course… and you don’t.
As but one example you might want to google the biblical relevance of ‘the firstfruits’.

And you needn’t worry about Ex 35… how do you even know Moses said these words? That’s what’s so convenient about your doctrinal approach… you can cut or claim any given authority based solely upon IF they meet and match your weathervane position.

The first fruits of God are those that have His Spirit and bear the fruits thereof.

The Levitical law did not bear the fruit of the Spirit. If it did, it wouldn’t have been cut down and thrown in the fire.

As someone who has come late to this discussion, I am a bit lost. It is hard to understand how it got from your original posts to where it is now.

Lol… stay here long enough and you’ll soon work out that thread titles doesn’t stretch too far before people are into whatever people are into :wink:

And welcome! :slight_smile:

As someone who agrees… I said…

But no one wants to deal with this, they would rather deal with the ‘WHAT THE FREAKIN BIBLE REALLY SAYS’ In their unadulterated opinions.

The OP is an interesting one if folks would stay the coarse…

That’s a good question Chad. The more evangelical approach is to ask… IF you were to die tonight do you know where you would be? Perhaps a more relevant or pertinent question might be… IF you live for another 30+ years what difference will you make in your world?

Well thanks David, but my question was about LLC’s comment, you can go back above and look… She has no intention of the evangelical mindset as far as I can see, but my question is how she sees the understanding of some of her conclusions as it relates to the current daily lives we live today. Kind of simple, if she will respond.:wink:

MM, I don’t believe in the Levitical law, nor do I believe that is was the faith of our fathers Abraham, Isaac Jacob, Moses etc. It is the faith of the Levitical priests and their fathers. I think the writers of the Bible are warning us of all the false prophets and teachings that are out there, and they advise us to test every spirit, even the very words that are written so that we are not led astray in the destructive ways of the world.

As for me, I follow the Spirit of God and do my best at loving others as myself as I believe this is what we are commanded to do. It makes a real difference in peoples’ lives even long after we’re dead.:grinning:

We need a song, to emphasize this point: